PDA

View Full Version : [Time walk @ Face to face] 9th with RB Goblins

Enigma
01-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey guys! I had not played goblins for a while, but last sunday there was a tournament in Montreal for a Time Walk and Drain. I decided to go, but I was really doubtful about playing my Supreme Blue list, as people knew I had good success with it and that I had a couple of friends sharing my list. Though, I was in thoughts that there will be a lot of Landstills, Merfolks and Goblins. While the 2 latter are "OK" MUs for my build, I was under the impression I would have to fight against a prepared field. Me, Seb Alarie, aTn and Backdr0p tested the deck and we realized that RB Goblins had a very positive MU against my deck, Merfolks and Landstill, so I decided to bring back my goblins decks from the grave. We wanted something against Progenitus and Humility both MD and SB. So we played this list (me and Seb):

// Lands
2 Rishadan Port
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Badlands
3 Wooded Foothills
4 Wasteland
5 Mountain
1 Swamp

// Creatures
1 Gempalm Incinerator
4 Goblin Lackey
3 Goblin Piledriver
4 Goblin Chieftain
4 Goblin Matron
1 Siege-Gang Commander
4 Goblin Ringleader
1 Wort, Boggart Auntie
3 Earwig Squad
4 Frogtosser Banneret

// Spells
4 Warren Weirding
4 AEther Vial

// Sideboard
SB: 2 Pyrokinesis
SB: 1 Goblin Sharpshooter
SB: 1 Goblin Tinkerer
SB: 4 Duress
SB: 2 Relic of Progenitus
SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 3 Perish

I thought about doing -1 Squad, +1 Gempalm, didn't, but should have... I'll also probably add more pyrokinesis.

So there was 35 people, 6 rounds + top8.

Round 1:
Against Justin Richardson, playing Icho/BG Dredge

Game 1, I win the die roll
He has a slow play, I gradually exile his bridge while making tokens with WW + an Earwig Squad for his DR targets and the remaining bridges. I eventually overwhelm him with an horde of goblins.

SB: -4 Vial, -1 Wort -1 Gempalm, +2 Tormod's Crypt, +2 Relic of Progenitus, +2 Pyrokinesis

Game 2, I mull to 6 into Land, Land, Land, Crypt, WW, Matron.
The fact I have crypt slows him down. When I Matron for Squad he Therapy it away, and the game goes really slowly. He beats me with BG, me with WW tokens that I used on matron to exile 1 or 2 bridges. He only has his dredge land and pimp to discart it. He eventually dredge more into DR, Iona, a second narco, so I decide that it's time to pop crypt. He continues his beating with BG, but I eventually draw some goblins (after I had like 4 lands in a row). I finish him while I'm at 3.

1-0

Round 2:
Against Francis playing Merfolks

Game 1, he wins the die roll
He goes nutz nutz nutz start and counter my piledriver. And taps the other gobs with double reejereys for lethal.

I sided wrongly. I think the best sideboard choice would have been -4 WW, +2 Pyro, +1 Sharpshooter, +1 Tinkerer. That's what I put in, but I cut -1 Wort, -1 WW, -1 ??, -1 ?? instead.

Game 2
I have quick vial and a Lackey. He has Curse and Jitte. He equips, attack, and I vial in pilly. I pyro his next 2 merfolks and he scoops.

Game 3
He has wasteland early so I have to go fetch a basic, we go back and forth a bit and the life total doesn't really drop for any of us. He countered a piledriver, and eventually he has Sovereign + Jitte. I draw into infinite WW without black. I eventually draw a black, he counters the first WW. I have 2 vials in play so he's playing conservativ even though he has way enough counters on Jitte to kill me. I play my second WW (I drew all for in a row) but it's too late now that he has Mutavault...

1-1

Round 3:
against Christopher, playing BG Natural Order rock.

Game 1, he wins the die roll
He plays Therapy on my Chieftain. He has double goyf, and when plays the third one I know I'm out of contention. I manage to draw into Ringleader and eventually an SCG, but I can't race him. Game finish with him at 11, and me 16-12-3-dead.

SB: +3 Perish, -1 SCG, -1 Incinerator, -1 ?Pilly? (Not totally sure)

Game 2
1st turn lackey. 2nd turn connect, Banneret, Squad on Progenitus and 2 Plagues, he scoops.

Game 3, he mulls to 6
He plays forest, birds. I think I play vial. He plays a goyf without any other land. I play perish, he scoops.

2-1

Round 4:
Against Ariel, playing RB Goblins

Game 1, I win the die roll, and mull to 6
1st turn lackey. 2nd turn connect, Banneret, Squad on 2 Chieftains and 1 Mad auntie. He plays Piledriver, I attack for 5. I port at his upkeep, he plays land, banneret. He attacks for 1 with pilly. I waste 1 of his land, attack, port at his upkeep. He eventually scoops.

SB: -4 WW, +2 Pyrokinesis, +1 Sharpshooter, +1 Tinkerer

Game 2
He does the exact same thing that I did (with his lonely Squad) and I lose.

Game 3
I play first turn Vial. He plays Lackey. I play waste, and pass with 2 lackey in hand and vial at 1. He puts Badlands, attack. I waste his badlands, vial in Lackey, we trade, he plays vial and he pass the turn. I put the second counter of vial in stack and put my second lackey with a banneret, attack for 1. At a moment he has Vial at 3 Chieftain, Banneret, Land, Land, Port. I have Chieftain, Chieftain, Banneret and vial. He plays Aunties Hovel, revealing Mad Auntie, ruining his trick. He attacks with banneret and I take it. He forgets to port me while I took like 4 seconds between untap step and draw steps. I play a second banneret, Matron for chieftain, vial in chieftain, attack for 9. He draws a land and pass. I put vial at 4, he ports me, in response I vial in Ringleader into Land, land, land, Gempalm... haha, exactly the card I wanted! I cycle it with my only 2 lands while Port is still on the stack to kill his Mad auntie, and I win the next turn.

3-1

Round 5:
Against Alan playing Merfolks

Game 1, I win the die roll.
He has the nutz draw with infinite lord and response to my first turn lackey.

SB: Same shit as I did, keeping the WW...

Game 2
I pyrokinesis some folks, play piledrivers and chieftains, and win.

Game 3
He has force for my first turn Vial, and everything goes in his favor with Jitte and lords. While he has counters for all my cards..

3-2

Round 6:
Against Vincent (Raptor (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/member.php?u=8766)), playing LEDless Dredge.

Report from him there (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=420216&postcount=1328)

Game 1, he wins the die roll, he mulls to 4, I mull to 5.

We slow roll but he eventually has it with Ichorids, Pimp and Narco.

SB: Same as first round

Game 2
I chain Crypt and Relic with a slow attacker. His life total 19-18-17-16-15-14-12-10-9-8-6-1-dead. 4 City of brass involved.

Game 3, I mulligan succesfully at 4. He mulligans unsuccesfully at 6.
He plays Gemstone, Therapy naming Crypt. My hand his Waste, Fetch, Port, Squad. I draw into Banneret, I waste. He draws, pass. I'm so fucking happy of that, plays land, go. He draws, pass. I play port banneret, attack, go. He draws, pass. I play Squad on 3 lands and I eventually get there!

4-2

I finished 9th, 2,6% behind a guy who was the 5th guy at 9 points before last round, while I was the second, and Vincent who I just beat, the first at 9. We do not understand, I'm quite pissed because that's the second time in 2 months that I finish 9th at Face to face events. I leave and go drafting ZEN, probably for our last time. In 24 packs we only opened: Bloodghast, Ob Nixilis, Warren Instigator, Emeria the Sky ruin, Sphinx, Sphinx. Waaaaaassh!

P-M

Eldariel
01-19-2010, 12:56 PM
You lost to Merfolk twice with Goblins...wait, what? How the hell does that ever happen? I mean, I can see losing one game in two matches to an utter nuts vs. your mediocre draw, but...did that really happen?

Enigma
01-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Yeah. The built we had for the tournament was really control/aggro-control oriented, which explains the fact we only had 1 Gempalm and only 2 Pyrokinesis in SB. I'm pretty sure now that I underestimated the aggro MU, even though I knew I was sacrifing good aggro cards(Gempalm+Pyro) for awesome control cards (Squad+Duress+Perish).

But both merfolk players had really good draws, with most of the time had a Jitte involved.

P-M

Kesta
01-19-2010, 02:27 PM
IMHO Perish is a must in RB list, but duress and squad... i don't like them.

I think RB list has more problem against Merfolk due to Wasteland, Goblins deck need a lot of mana and if you start to lose yours it's the wrong way. That's why I love so much MonoR list.

arebennian
01-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Obviously you wouldn't play it in a combo heavy meta but how do you find Storm Combo matches?

Do Duress and Earwig Squad help?

Wargoos
01-20-2010, 06:47 AM
Wow, that must 've been bitter. Getting pwned by the 'folk :(
Now I know how the zoo player must feel when I beat them with my merfolk-deck.
You obviously had a bad day, wish you more luck for the next time.