PDA

View Full Version : [EDH] Commander Greven Il-Vec

CallMeLiam
01-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Two things.
1. I started playing around Tempest and the baddest creatures in our group were Spirit of the Night and Greven.
2. I've always been a bit of a flavour junkie\Johnny and much prefer decks that do weird stuff in a flavourful way than just winning with bustedness.

So putting these two together led me to through up this monstrosity. Before you start to rip it to shreds I'd like it on the record that I've tried to use cards from Tempest, Stronghold, Exodus and Nemesis or cards from later sets with random references to the Stronghold or that whole area of flavour. I'd have loved to find space for Ertai and Selenia but their colours don't work. Ertai would actually have been great in here.

What I'm looking for is creatures that fit nicely into the sacrificial theme and ways of getting through more cards. Ideally the cards will have a Strongholdy\Phyrexian theme and cards in italics should probably be the first to go because they're less useful than anything else has proven to be. Suggestions?

General
Commander Greven il-Vec

Lands
City of Traitors
Volrath's Stronghold
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Cabal Coffers
34 x Swamp

Guys
Abyssal Gatekeeper
Ascendant Evincar
Blood Pet
Blood Vassal
Bloodghast
Bone Shredder
Carrionette
Coffin Queen
Crovax the Cursed
Festering Goblin
Gravedigger
Keeper of the Dead
Mindslicer
Mindstab Thrull
Mirri the Cursed
Necrite
Phyrexian Ghoul
Plague Dogs
Revenant
Shambling Swarm
Skeletal Vampire
Skirk Ridge Exhumer
Spike Cannibal
Stronghold Assasin
Stronghold Overseer
Thrull Surgeon
Volrath the Fallen

Spells
Coercion
Culling the Weak
Dark Ritual
Dark Triumph
Death Stroke
Death's Duet
Diabolic Edict
Diabolic Intent
Evincar's Justice
Hatred
Lab Rats
Living Death
Night's Whisper
Reanimate
Sign in Blood
Skulltap
Stronghold Discipline
Vicious Hunger

Artifacts\Enchantments
Death Pit Offering
Death Pits of Rath
Fevered Convulsions
Grave Pact
Mind Slash
Mortuary
No Rest for the Wicked
Oath of Ghouls
Oversold Cemetery
Predator, Flagship
Sadistic Glee
Spinal Graft
Zombie Infestation

Illissius
01-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Greven is pretty cool. Black has the most and best awesome mono color Legends. I like theme decks. Flavorwise, it seems odd to have Greven as your general while having Volrath as just a random legend in the deck, given that Greven was more or less a slave of Volrath. (But given that Greven is much cooler than Volrath, making Volrath the general instead doesn't seem like a good solution.)