PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest guaranteed t3 win deck ever

morgan_coke
01-22-2010, 10:10 PM
So I've been looking at Treasure Hunt like everyone else thinking it must make some kind of stupid combo, thinking about stuff like Seismic Assault and Land's Edge when I realized the real answer is none of the above. It's Firestorm.

The deck, which WILL win on T3 unless it fizzles by drawing you down to less than 20 cards with no reliquary tower and then pulls another TH instead of the Firestorm. If it doesn't win on t3, Reliquary Tower lets you keep the stupid big hand so you can try again next turn.

4x Treasure Hunt
1x Firestorm
4x Reliquary Tower
53x Lands that make R and U

EDIT: Firestorm doesn't work. Lightning Storm, Land's Edge, and Sickening Dreams all do./EDIT.

A more advanced version would run a bunch of typical combo stuff then Selective Memory itself down to just a Firestorm and lands left in the deck.

You only need the one Firestorm because TH acts like cascade, bypassing all the lands to find whatever non-land spell is left in your deck.

I'm not really a combo player, just thought this was too funny not to share.

Also, there probably is a real combo deck here in conjuction with things like Pact of Negation and FoW and Selective Memory and Mystical Tutor.

The interesting thing that would differentiate this kind of combo deck from others is the immunity to many kinds of combo hate (like Teeg) and the lack of a need for rituals or whatnot. Plus the high land count required allows for a different type of backup plan and disruption package to be included vs. a normal storm deck. I think. Use and fix or not, just thought this was too funny not to mention.

OurSerratedDust
01-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think firestorm doesn't work like that. To do that, you'd also need twenty legal targets, right?

The_Red_Panda
01-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Not to mention the fact that you're going to hit a second treasure hunt with the first one about 3/4 the time. But that pales in comparison to the fact that you need 20 legal targets.

morgan_coke
01-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Well, then I suck for not understanding how Firestorm works. But you could use Sickening Dreams in conjunction with either Kabira Crossroads or Piranha Marsh for the same effect.

Pastorofmuppets
01-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Vexing Shusher would protect your combo

from Cairo
01-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Vexing Shusher would protect your combo

Boseiju, Who Shelters All would be a better choice since it doesn't count as a non-land for Treasure Hunt.

I don't know if a combo version would be better than 43 lands, but I guess it might be.

Illissius
01-22-2010, 11:10 PM
For the record, as far as I can tell you have approximately an 86% chance of finding a Treasure Hunt if you're willing to mulligan down to 1.

Barook
01-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Lightning Storm is exactly the kill card you're looking for:

http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardscans/MAGCOL/lightning_storm.jpg

Reverend Damaged
01-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Lightning Storm is exactly the kill card you're looking for:

http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardscans/MAGCOL/lightning_storm.jpg

Yesss. I forgot about this card. Now I can make my Treasure Hunt/Scouting Trek/Lightning Storm deck! It'll be horri-bad but hilarious.

rufus
01-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think firestorm doesn't work like that. To do that, you'd also need twenty legal targets, right?

You're thinking of a different card (probably Firestorm). Lighting storm works just the way you need it to for the combo. Failing that, Seismic Assault or Land's Edge would both also be possibilities. Alternative, there's a more varied approach by using some of the Aggro-loam suite, Countryside Crusher and Devestating dreams especially. The deck almost certainly wants a pile of special lands like Maze of Ith, Gemstone Caverns and Wasteland. Speaking of cascade, Ardent Plea might be a decent fit for this and help it get faster.

AngryTroll
01-23-2010, 02:06 AM
Why will the deck win on turn three every game? First, you have to mull to a hand with a Treasure Hunt. Second, you now have a 1/4 chance of hitting your kill condition instead of a second Treasure Hunt. You then have to pass the turn and discard down to seven cards (I guess six lands and a Lightning Storm).

On the turn after you find Lightning Storm, you draw. If it's turn three, you play a land and Lightning Storm for 15. If it's turn four of later, you draw and pitch seven lands to it, for 17 damage.

If your opening hand has Reliquary Tower and Treasure Hunt, and if you find Lightning Storm on your first try, then you'll win on turn three. Usually you'll win on turn four or five (turn three: cast Treasure Hunt, draw a ton, play Tower, pass the turn). Assuming, of course, that your opponent doesn't have a Wasteland in play, a single Force of Will, and that you play around Daze.

Vacrix
01-23-2010, 02:48 AM
Why will the deck win on turn three every game? First, you have to mull to a hand with a Treasure Hunt. Second, you now have a 1/4 chance of hitting your kill condition instead of a second Treasure Hunt. You then have to pass the turn and discard down to seven cards (I guess six lands and a Lightning Storm).

On the turn after you find Lightning Storm, you draw. If it's turn three, you play a land and Lightning Storm for 15. If it's turn four of later, you draw and pitch seven lands to it, for 17 damage.

If your opening hand has Reliquary Tower and Treasure Hunt, and if you find Lightning Storm on your first try, then you'll win on turn three. Usually you'll win on turn four or five (turn three: cast Treasure Hunt, draw a ton, play Tower, pass the turn). Assuming, of course, that your opponent doesn't have a Wasteland in play, a single Force of Will, and that you play around Daze.

I think the point was not that its good but that its likely to be a really cheap combo deck like Fluctuator.dec thats easy as hell to play and is a glass house.

Maveric78f
01-23-2010, 04:27 AM
You have to be aware of the fact it's not working at all.

1/ 86% chance of mulliganing into TH
2/ Expectation of revealing a non-land card before revealing a Reliquary Tower if you don't have it in hand: something around 50%. This has to be put into perspective with the chance of having Reliquary tower in your first hand (something around 30% since you'll first of all mulligan to find TH). So let's say you have 65% chance to find RT.
3/ Drawing enough lands: 3 lands into play, 9 lands to kill but 2 additional lands to beat your opponent with 2 remaining lands in hand. You'll need to draw 14 lands. Meaning that you need to draw something like 8/10 lands off TH. It's a bit complicated to compute, but this won't always happen.

In the end, without disruption, you'll have less than 50% chance comboing on turn 3. There's absolutely nothing guaranteed.

Tao
01-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Chances are way less than 50% for T3 kill. I don't want to calculate but I guess it is clearly under 10%. A turn 3 kill requires all of the following conditions:

- Opening hand with Treasure Hunt
- Opening hand with Reliquary Tower (cause drawing Tower with hunt does nada for you when you already played a land)
- Hitting the 1 Lightning Storm instead of hitting one of the usually 3 remaining Treasure Hunts

Elfrago
01-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Chances are way less than 50% for T3 kill. I don't want to calculate but I guess it is clearly under 10%. A turn 3 kill requires all of the following conditions:

- Opening hand with Treasure Hunt
- Opening hand with Reliquary Tower (cause drawing Tower with hunt does nada for you when you already played a land)
- Hitting the 1 Lightning Storm instead of hitting one of the usually 3 remaining Treasure Hunts

Add:
-Opponent without Force of Will, Spell Snare, Daze, Duress, Thoughtseize, etc etc

freakish777
01-23-2010, 03:07 PM
You guys missed Selective Memory in Worldwake also...

That gives you something like:

4 Dark Ritual
3 Lotus Petal
2 Selective Memory
4 Mystical Tutor
1 Ad Nauseam
4 Treasure Hunt
1 Lightning Storm
1 Life from the Loam
40 Lands (Bosejui probably needs to be in this, so do cycling lands).

I don't think there's really anything that can be done with this deck to make it any good, but it looks like Wizards yet again printed a "combo" in the same set (a combo that really sucks balls, as in it's worse than Swans combo, but a combo none the less).

Illissius
01-23-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't think it's possible to make the deck better by adding more non-Treasure Hunt spells. Sort of a dead end.

Lurker101
03-06-2010, 02:55 PM
What about this?
Land: 30
2 Tabernacle
1 Maze of Ith
2 Reliquary Tower
2 Volcanic Island
2 Tropical Island
2 Mountain
2 Forest
2 Scalding Tarn
2 Wooded Foothills
2 Misty Rainforest
11 Island

Other Spells:
4 Mox Diamond
4 Force of Will (needs no explanation)
2 Dispel (disruption, could and maybe should be Spell Pierce)
2 Mana Breach (disruption that doubles as fuel provider for lightning storm)
2 Pact of Negation (kill protection)
2 Scouting Trek (setup for massive draw)
2 Lightning Storm (Kill)
4 Mystical Tutor (finds Treasure Hunt, Lightning Storm, and Scouting Trek)
2 Scroll Rack (Draw Engine, also fishes out non-lands)
4 Treasure Hunt
2 Selective Memory (thins out deck for lands, might be a bad call here)

Is this much of an improvement?

Mystical_Jackass
03-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Haha... this is the funniest deck I've seen in a while :smile:
I LOVE it, it's one of those that's just so simple and "stupid" but hilarious 'cause it might actually work.

Lets dumb it down though, before we overthink this with mystical tutors and the sort, you're forgetting an obvious choice... the new ZENDIKAR lands! Yo, you need to run a playset of the new blue "sage owl" land. I'd even consider maybe ~3 of the green "plant token" lands, too. Hey, it's a blocker... you run virtually NOTHING lol, you have to stay alive and I don't think Maze or Tabernacle are the answer. If any lands have any gy effects, I can't think of anything, but that would be helpful.

But yeah, the rest of the lands should be U or R combination. I suggest ZERO fetches, considering you want the opposite of thinning out your deck, you want to hit the Maximum amount of lands you can between non-land draws.

I want to hear if anyone's tried this, 'cause its just too funny ;)

claudio.r
04-25-2010, 07:02 PM
I am definetly going to try this... It looks to fun to pass out ! I will give the results as soon as i try this !

Tokobotenkai
05-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Using your idea of Treasure Hunt, how about something like this?

40 Lands
3 Tropical Island
4 Volcanic Island
3 Taiga
2 Breeding Pool
4 Steam Vents
2 Stomping Grounds
2 Maze of Ith
4 Valakut, the Mountain Pinnacle
2 Treetop Village
1 Academy Ruins
3 Wasteland
2 Ghost Quarter
3 Wooded Foothills
3 Scalded Tarn
1 Barbarian Ring
1 Forest
20 Other Spells
4 Treasure Hunt
3 Life from the Loam
2 Intuition
4 Manabond
3 Mox Diamond
4 Exploration

With a god hand, turn 1 wins are possible. Though I estimate it should be going off turn 2-3 though.