PDA

View Full Version : Mono Red Goblins takes 4th at DHG 1/24/10

Joe_C
01-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Took 4th yesterday with this list. Took some notes but if asked I could prbably go into more details:

Here is the gist of it:

3 Rishadan Port
4 Wasteland
15 Mountain

4 Goblin Lackey
2 Warren Instigator
3 Goblin Chieftain
4 Goblin Warchief
4 Goblin Matron
4 Goblin Ringleader
3 Stingscourger
3 Gemplam Incinerator
3 Siege Gang Commander
4 Aether Vial
2 Goblin Piledriver
2 Mogg Fanatic

SB:
3 Red Elemental Blast
3 Relic Of Progenitus
4 Pyrokinesis
2 Pithing Needle
2 Ravenous Trap(boarded them in once, and it won me the match)
1 Goblin Tinkerer

Round 1: Ben Lukas playing 43 land

G1: I know what he is playing so I keep an amazing hand against him(in a way) of 3x wasteland, moutainx3 and a lackey. I fail to draw any creatures to attempt to outnumber him, he plays loam over 10 times this game then drops mana bond so I scoop.

Board:-2 instigator,-2 SCG,-2 Fanatic, -1 Stingscourger +3 relic +2 Needle +2 Trap

G2: Turn 1 relic followed by lackey, warchief and another relic. Also trap him after he plays intuition and I pound him in a few turns even though he has tablernacle I had way too much mana at that point for it to matter.

G3: Starts sketchy with him playing a treetop village and me going conservative turn 1 relic, and then getting pounded with treetop a few times. I have no creatures aside from incinerator x2 in my hand and I am holding 2x trap. I play an incinerator from my hand and block treetop next turn and incinerate it to reset the creature count. I end up with matron/piledriver beating for 5. He intuitions for a burn spell with retrace(dont recall name) then he burns piledriver, I cant have that shit coming back so I trap him. I dont remember what creatures I played next, but I took him down by 6. The turn before he played loam and he dredges into good stuff, he goes to play loam and I use my 2nd trap and that ends it since I have lethal for next turn.

1-0,

Round 2:Alex: The mirror:

Game 1 takes 32 minutes. It ends up being pretty much me running 3 SCG and him only running 2, and also me running chieftain and him apparently not,that wins me this. Although he makes a play error late in the game that he tries to take back (playing piledriver and swinging with the team although driver doesnt have haste) I inform him of that fact and he goes to untap all his creatures, and I tell him I cant let him take it back, he is tapped out). In a few turns my extra SCG would have won it anyway so he scoops.

Board: -4 vial,-1 Stingscourger+4 Pyrokinesis, +1 Tinkerer{assuming he keeps vial}(really games 2/3 for the mirror depend on who draws pyrokinesis, it is backbreaking)

G2:He goes turn 1 lackey, I turn 1 fanatic and nail it. He plays a lackey on the next turn. I get stuck on 2 mana and scoop to driver/war marshall/warchief to go to g3 and have time.

G3: Pyrokinesis wins this matchup. I take him from 20 to 8 in one turn after I wipe his creatures with kinesis. Then finish it after he cant play anything big enough to matter

2-0,

Round 3:
Tom with UG Merfolk

G1: I get turn 1 lackey, which gets in there once but I dont really have any juice. He gets ahead with goyf and counters my good stuff. I lose this one.

Board: -2 Instigator, -1 SCG, -2 Fanatic, -2 Stingscourger, +4 Pyrokinesis, +3 Red Elemental Blast

G2: I stick a turn 1 lackey. This time I get a chieftain, then a SCG into play. I win this one quick.

G3: Fast goblins and I think I cast kinesis to nail some blockers, I get ahead quick and he cant catch up.

3-0

Round 4:Steve Playing BANT

G1: I thought I had this game lost, he ends up with hierarch x2, knight of the reliquery and pridemage. I resolve a matron for SCG to make me some blockers. He keeps swinging in at me with knight I block with a token and fling it at pridemage, then a hierarch. I stick a chieftain which gets me lethal, I was at 3, I took him from 13 in one turn.

Board:-2 Instigator, -2 Fanatic, -1 SCG, -1 Stingscourger +4 Pyrokinesis +2 Relic
G2: I start off with a great board wiping on him. I pyrokinesis knight, and a hierarch and put on pressure. He is able to come back with double goyf(after I relic once to get them down, he plays brainstorm after I remove the graves and they live) and I try to swing in to kill him (which leaves me open to die if he can stop a creature)he shows me hydroblast and I cry inside.

G3: They call time after my 2nd turn. We end up drawing since I dont stick a turn 3 win

3-0-1,

Round 5: Eric with Canadian Thresh

Yeah, this matchup is bad. Burn, and nimble mongoose make it a hard time for me. I lose in 2
I boarded in kinesis in this match, but it was a blowout regardless, I dont think unless I turn 3 win, they will beat goblins. Bolt, fire/ice, firespout are all amzing against my deck

3-1-1

Round 6:Josh with UGW Counterbalance with NO(paired down)
Need to win this bitch to get in.

Game 1. Turn 1 Vial. He plays turn 2 counterbalance. I stick turn 2 Instigator, instigator brings in chieftain after he swings and he scoops to much goblins on the board.

Board: -2 Fanatic, -2 Stingscourger(he aint gonna bounce proegnitus, but will bounce wall of roots so I can attack!)-2 Instigator, +4 Pyrokinesis +2 Relic

G2: I keep a poor hand, he ends up resolving turn 5 NO for Progenitus. This card is good I hear.

G3. I get some creatures on board and keep him at zero creatures desperately with incinerator/pyrokinises so he cant cast NO. I am able to beat him fast enough. I guess he had some poor draws.

TOPS 8!!!! YEAH

Top8:Corey Mono U Merfolk

If I could pray for a deck to face, this would have to be it.

G1:I play turn 1 vial. He plays mutavault, vial. I play turn 2 driver. Pass. He plays island go. I EOT vial in lackey. Untap. Swing. He animates vault, I incinerator it before the block. I get SCG off lackey, he scoops.

Board: -2 INstigator, -2 Fanatic -2 Stingscourger,-1 SCG +4 Pyrokinesis +3 Red Elemental Blast
G2: This one goes longer. Pryrokinesis does its job. And wipes reejery and kills some mutavaults after combat since I have 2x chieftain in play. I wasnt dealt damage in either of these games

Top 4

Kyle(fellow team awesome member) with Belcher
G1: I have to mull to 3 because I dont see a colored source for the first 2mulls, then no land on the 3rd. I keep wasteland, mountain, ringleader. I plays bayou, tinder wall. I waste the bayou and play mountain. He wins on his next turn

Board -4 Vial, -2 Fanatic, -2 Instigator +4 Pyrokinesis (to nail tinder wall)+2 Needle. This matchup is just praying they have a shit hand and you nail needle on belcher and that will win it for you.

G2: Turn 1 needle on belcher and some fast goblins wins it.

G3: I mull into turn 1 needle. Put that on belcher. He ends up turn 3 or 4 empty the warrens for 14 tokens. My 4 creatures cant keep up with that. I extend my hand and I take 4th place and take 4 Badlands as a prize.... Guess I will have to start playing duals again since I won some

Props:
Dave for running an awesome tournament as always. Glad you did well on Saturday too!
Team Awesome for being Awesome and putting 1 in first place with BELCHER and me in 4th
Ravenous Trap and Pyrokinesis- you do what you do so well
My Car, getting to Rhode Island and back and still having half a tank of gas makes me very happy

Slops:
Fog on the drive home
My driveway for apparently turning into a skating rink at night and me practically sliding to my doorstep
having to face a teammate in the top 4

luma
01-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Although he makes a play error late in the game that he tries to take back (playing piledriver and swinging with the team although driver doesnt have haste) I inform him of that fact and he goes to untap all his creatures, and I tell him I cant let him take it back, he is tapped out).

What? If he made an illegal play (declared Piledriver as an attacker even if it couldn't attack), either the entire illegal action is reversed (untap all creatures that attacked, then he declares attackers again anyway he wants), or nothing is reversed (the Piledriver is still an attacker, even though it was just played). In any case, you should have called a judge, who most likely would reverse the action of declaring attackers and allow the opponent to declare attackers again, this time legally.

Holiday
01-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Congrats, Joe! Shows how much a solid sideboard can help gobbos.

Joe_C
01-25-2010, 11:26 AM
What? If he made an illegal play (declared Piledriver as an attacker even if it couldn't attack), either the entire illegal action is reversed (untap all creatures that attacked, then he declares attackers again anyway he wants), or nothing is reversed (the Piledriver is still an attacker, even though it was just played). In any case, you should have called a judge, who most likely would reverse the action of declaring attackers and allow the opponent to declare attackers again, this time legally.

Fair enough. At this point the game was out of his hands anyway. Whether or not we should have called a judge, he scooped up his cards and we moved to game 2.

J.V.
02-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Good Showing Joe, I'm glad you ended up doing so well. I was your Round 3 Opponent.

Joe_C
02-01-2010, 06:01 AM
Good Showing Joe, I'm glad you ended up doing so well. I was your Round 3 Opponent.

Cool, sometimes I ask for everyone's names on the source, but when I do I always play against people who arent on here so I stopped (other than the people I normally recognize). Glad to put another face to a name! Hope to see you again in March... I will be there again for the Legacy tournament