PDA

View Full Version : [Report 5th Place] Lands! @ Drexel University Legacy Event

toor
01-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Despite pretty poor advertising and publicity (notably the lack of a Source Post) the Drexel Magic Club had a pretty amazing turn out for its legacy event.

It was 15 Proxies and only 15$ in downtown Philly with a surprising 37 people turning out for the event.
Announced prizes were a set of Trops and Deltas. Because of attendance they also threw in an additional 2.5 boxes of Zendikar. I just wanted to give them some free publicity since the tournament was well run and the venue was nice too (if a bit small).

The Meta skewed towards more creature decks since there were a lot of legacy first timers (probably 5-10), but some of the local legacy regulars showed up.

I played Lands! for the first time (never even shuffled it up before).
4 Mox Diamond (non-negotiable)
4 Exploration
4 Manabond
4 LoftL
3 Gamble
2 Intution
1 Engineered Explosives

5 Green Fetches
1 Forest
3 Taiga
2 Tropical Island
1 Savannah
1 Treetop Village
1 Nomad Stadium
1 Glacial Chasm
1 Academy Ruins
1 Tolaria West
1 Barbarian Ring
EDIT: 1 Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
4 Mishra's Factory
4 Wasteland
4 Maze of Ith
4 Rishadan Port
4 Green Cycle Land

SB:
3 KGrip
3 Zuran orb
4 Tormod's Crypt
1 Crucible
1 Seismic Assault
1 Firebolt
1 Chalice of the Void
1 Ray of Revelation

I made some tweaks to the deck which belonged to my friend. I cut a Monastery for a basic forest and was very happy with this choice all day. The 3rd Trop also became a Tolaria west which was insane. EE+ Ruins is your best way to beat CB in Game 1 and I would definitely play it again. My friend had also cut the 4th Diamond which I put back in.

The SB was because I expected a lot of CB and Zoo. Tormod's Crypt over Leylind because of T-West + Intuition. 3 Leylines + 1 Academy is probably better. Crucible in the board is a really good innovation. Since it basically comes in whenever you expect extirpate, it gives u another loam.

Rnd 1: Jack Wang with Zoo.
Jack won the SCG Standard 5K a few months ago and is a friend but not a big legacy not player. I knew he had Maindeck Price of Progress.

G1: He has turn 1 Lavamancer and just burns me out with it + PoP. I couldn't find a stadium or Glacial chasm in the top 20-25 cards.

G2: He mulls to 5 and I have the nuts.

G3: He keeps 2 Mountains + Burn and Lavamancer. I have exploration and multiple loams. But I go slowly so that I don't get blown out by RAV Trap or Relic. Zuran Orb basically means I am never even close to being in danger.
1-0
Rnd 2: Mark Tocco (Split in Finals)
G1: He is lending me the deck so we know pretty much exactly what the other is playing. He keeps a mana light hand and I have double 1 Drop. So when he forces the first one I am not too afraid. I get the engine going and he scoops when I have 15 lands too his 3 + 3 creatures.

G2: I am somewhat stuck on mana when he casts Back to Basics (forced to tap his vault and wasteland) while he has relic in play. I can EE his Back to Basics or his Relic. I go for the Relic and slowly start loaming (I have two diamonds and a forest). I eventually dredge the Ray of Revelation and from that point on its just academic.
2-0
Rnd 3: UGW Threst+ CB
G1: He has a Nimble Mongoose and Counterbalance early. But I have EE (for 2 @ 4). I made a mistake of discarding Ruins to my turn 1 diamond and he sticks a second CB which blind flips my loam and then he untaps and has the lock. He also drew a bunch of lands which was necessary for him to keep lock, pay for threats and fight 3x Port.

G2: He mulls to 6, and has Forest, Mongoose, FoW + Blue Card, Tormod's Crypt.
When I go for my first loam he decides to crypt my 3 lands instead of getting the loam. This slows me down but he can't fight another blue source other than a trop (and i have wasteland). He concedes pretty quickly.

G3: He has the force for my 1 drop, but i am able to get loam going. I decide to use ports and wastes on his mand and just take damage from Mongoose instead of using factories to try and contain his mongoose. Eventually I force through an intuition where I can get 3 1 drops or Academy Ruins. i go for the latter and the EE lock just ends the game. Though I am barely able to win as turns are called.

Rnd 4: Budget Mono Red Goblins
G1: This is Sam's first tournament and hes pretty surprised/happy to be there. Unfortunately he has no clue what my deck does and has never really had to worry about Factories/Tabernacle/Mazes and he makes some bad attacks. I also had Loam + Glacial Chasm from turn 1. He has a one turn window to find a wasteland to put me within Lightning Bolt Range but doesn't get there..

G2: He has Relic which he tries to use to get loam. I have been sand bagging Cycle land. But when I dredge I hit 2 x LofTL and Glacial Chasm. But Nomad Stadium puts me out of range and he is short on mana so he cant stick a SGC against my 3 Mazes.

4-0
Rnd 5&6
Intentional Draws

Quarterfinals:
Matt Mossman with a Bant Deck that I have designed. Its kind of a hybrid between Tempo Bant and Natural Order Top with some unusual inclusions (and no CB). Its his first Legacy tournament so I gave him my deck which is pretty straightforward.

G1: He mulls and has force but wastelands take away all his mana. I find Tabernacle before he finds any more mana and he scoops.

G2: He has 3 basics + Noble Hierarch on the play and my double wasteland draw is looking pretty dumb even with exploration and loam. Turn 4 he has trygon and i rip maze. Turn 6 he has progenitus and I scoop.

G3: My hand is pretty good with double diamond, exploration and a gamble. I gamble turn 2 for loam and it gets binned. He tormod's crypts me and I draw a bunch of Mazes. He has progenitus before I can find another loam.

DEAD

Top 8
Natural Bant def Lands
Merfolk def Goblins
4 Color Counterbalance def Elves (not combo but aggro)
Dredge def Merfolk

top 4
Merfolk def Natural Bant
Counterbalance def Dredge

top 2
Split

The dredge and bant players were in their first Legacy Event.

Props:
Lands
Matt, Mitch and Tocco for top8ing
Ripping Manabonds

Slops:
Blind Flips
Losing to a deck I designed
Mitch for forgetting to discard before breakthrough.

snorlaxcom
02-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Are you guys having another event at Drexel? I would love to meet up some fiends of mine up there and sling some spells next time if so.

UrDraco
02-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Forgive me but I can't seem to find a Tabernacle in your decklist.

toor
02-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Don't know how I forgot to list the Tabernacle but there was definitely one in the deck.

@Drexel Events
I am not actually part of the club or affiliated with Drexel. I know that they were impressed by the turnout, but they don't make much at these things (as I understand it) so I am not sure if/when there will be more.

Philipp2293
02-16-2010, 02:44 AM
Congratz on your performance, just a few questions about your list:

We nearly play the same list, with the non lands being -1 Mox Diamond and +1 Intuition and the Lands being -1 Forest, -1 Tolaria West and +1 Nantuko Monastery and +1 Tropical.

Now some questions: Does it really feel right the cut the third Tropical over the third Taiga? I feel blue is slightly more important than red, in your list Tolaria West needs double blue for activation, and Intuition > Gamble and Academy Ruins > Barbarian Ring IMO.

I think I'll cut Nantuko Monastery and try both the basic forest (seems to be aces against Blood Moon and B2B) and the Tolaria West (I love the idea of grabbing every land and EE, also Zuran Orb postboard), those seem both good ideas, I'll try the forest in the SB and the Tolaria West MD instead of Nantuko.

On the SB: You've almost given up the combo MU, is the singleton Chalice really worth it? I like the idea of playing 3 Orbs, haven't found a place for a third one myself. I'd maybe go -1 Seismic Assault + 1 Basic Forest , -1 Firebolt +1 Flame Jab.