PDA

View Full Version : [edh] azami, lady of the scrolls

BGH
01-29-2010, 07:38 AM
while i was reading some posts in the "most broken general" thread i saw, that some of you wanted to see a list of lady broken. so i searched for mine and now i will show it to you:

general: azami, lady of the scrolls (surprise)

1 Tolaria West
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Oboro
1 Academy Ruins
1 Riptide Laboratory
1 Seat of Synode
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Minamo, School at Waters Edge
23 Snow-Covered Island

1 Aphetto Alchemist
1 Etherium Sculptor
1 Magus of the Future
1 Trinket Mage
1 Vedalken AEthermage
1 Information Dealer
1 Sage of Fables
1 Fallowsage
1 Jushi Apprentice
1 Arcanis the Omnipotent
1 Riptide Director
1 Sage of Epityr
1 Inspired Sprite
1 Palinchron
1 Tidespout Tyrant
1 Ertai, Wizard Adept
1 Willbender
1 Patron Wizard
1 Venser, Shaper Savant
1 Voidmage Husher
1 Voidmage Prodigy
1 Stonybrook Banneret
1 Riptide Chronologist
1 Fatespinner
1 Oboro Breezecaller
1 Fatestitcher
1 Rimewind Taskmage
1 Filigree Sages

1 Candelabra of Tawnos
1 Voltaic Key
1 Senseis Divining Top
1 Helm of Awakening
1 Gauntlet of Power
1 Extraplanar Lens
1 Thousand-Year Elixir
1 Diviners Wand
1 Scroll Rack
1 Grim Monolith
1 Chrome Mox
1 Mox Diamond
1 Lotus Petal
1 Eye of Ramos
1 Mana Vault
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Crypt
1 Sapphire Medallion
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Long-Term Plans
1 Personal Tutor
1 Fabricate
1 Parallel Thoughts
1 Temrpoal Cascade
1 Braingeyser
1 Stroke of the Genius
1 Distant Melody
1 Thought Reflections
1 Timetwister (if you don't have this, it's no problem! i have none, too. you may play flux as good card draw)
1 Time Spiral
1 Windfall
1 Relearn
1 Future Sight
1 High Tide
1 Turnabout
1 Minds Desire
1 Brain Freeze
1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Mind over Matter

how to play:
the most important difference to other azami dacks is, that mine has much more wizards (28 or something in this direction). they are played instead of the card draw normally is played. many people think, that they got to play cards like compulsive research, thirst for knowledge and so on, but why? the best card draw in your deck ist you general! so add more wizards, that make her run like hell! i had only chosen wizards with a needful ability, so they fit in perfectly, when i try to get my combo(s) online and if they are not needed, they just draw a card! the other thing is, that i don't play any counter (ok some dudes may do it). thats 'cause in most lists are just a view of them and they don't make a difference in most cases. you want to kill as quick as possible!
this may be turn 3! i just did it one time! but normally it would be around turn 4-6.
there is one thing you ever got to remind: after you played azami, never play a land as long as you can draw, 'cause you mostly try to get the academy on the board! it makes a giant amount of mana and makes it easier to set up!
so how to play? the first turns you are just casting your wizards down from your hand, 'till you get azami. with the amazing card draw she's giving to you, you try to get any of your combos online. that's it! i will now give a short list of the combos, but i got to say, that this may not be complete in any way! in some games i still find new combos.

filigree sages + candelabra of tawnos + tolarian academy (5 mana producing) or extraplanar lens/gauntlet of power/high tide (at least 2 of them or 4+ islands)
pure and simple: your mana pool will never be empty. you tap academy for 5, untap it with cadelabra, having 4 mana in pool, for 3 you untap candelabra and so you can kill then with stroke or braingeyser, but in a 4 player game you need to draw your deck and set the following combo to kill 'em all at once!

sdt + helm of awakening/etherium sculptor + future sight/magus of the future -> brain freeze
with this combo you may draw all cards in your library. this also means you play a spell (sdt) for each card you draw, so why don't freeze your opponent(s). if you play a 4 player game, drawing your library once won't be enough, so just play your academy (remember: never play a land as long as you got the chance to draw academy!) and all artifacts + the infinite mana combo. then you may use timetwister/temporal cascade (it makes no difference, you got enough mana) to reset your library doing this over and over again 'till your your storm count is big enough! to do it for ever you need to play relearn on the reseter after drawing the new library, but mostly you only need to do it once, thats enough to kill with storm.

tidespout tyrant + tolarian academy + candelabra of tawnos (+ etherium sculptor/helm of awakening)
this makes even an infinite amount of mana, but needs to play one spell each time your cadelabra becomes taped, to bounce it, play it again, use it again.

azami + mind over matter (+ thought reflections/fallowsage/tolarian academy(oboro)
this gives you the option to draw your deck by discarding a card, untaping azami, taping her for a card and so on. with thought reflctions/fallowsage you may draw 2 cards for discarding 1 and never forget: you can untap academy just by discarding a land from your hand and you may bounce oboro by it's own ability to get an "free" untap!

tolarian academy + palinchron + 11 mana
you may play palinchron, untap all lands and bounce it to get infinite storm count. with 12 mana you may make infinite mana!

tidespout tyrant + 2 artifacts with cost 0
this gives you even a infinite storm count, by playing on artifact, than the other to bounce the 1st and so on. makes infinite mana while you are doing this.

there are still some small combos, like the inspired sprit, that untaps whenever you play a wizard to give you an additional card or the 1000 year elixir, that gives you the possibility to use your wizards tap-abilitys the turn you played them. just try a bit and you will find many nice things.

my last words:
i'm not sure, if this is the most broken general, but she is on a good way at all i think! so have fun, comboing your enemy(s) away!

hyc8028
01-29-2010, 02:58 PM
I also have an Azami deck. I don't play it unless someone kept on winning. It is very broken due to the card advantage and that deck can win out of nowhere. My deck is prepared for multiplayer and it is more tune toward combo/control. I have done a lot of testing last couple months and here are some suggestions.

I see you ran no counter magic. You absolute need it as you will see a lot of hate and often 3 vs 1.
I ran Cryptic Command,Force of Will, Misdirection, Muddle the Mixtur, Pact of Negation, Foil, Rewind, Forbid, Counterspell

Where is Capsize? It is a staple for blue and give you another tutorable win con when you have infinite mana.

I would use Memory Jar and Magnus of the Jar before using Parallel Thoughts and Temporal Cascade.

Expedition Map will help you get Tolarian Academy.

Run Merchant Scrolll before Fabricate.

Ancient Tomb will help you get Azami out faster.

Card that untap land such as Snap and Frantic Search. Those extra mana can be difference between winning and losing.

There are varies between # of creatures in Azami. I have seen some with 30, I have seen one with less than 20. I am running 21 critters with 3 non wizard. You have to keep in mind that Azami is very fragile and without her on the board, your wizard are very weak. You want to have one or two wizard in the opening hand, so when you play Azami, you get to draw more cards. However, you don't want to keep drawing Wizard when you need your Bomb to win you the game.

You are missing some auto include wizard in Azami such as Glen Elendra Archmage, Merrow Levitator, Hapless Researcher.

For combo deck like Azami, you want cards that have synergies with other cards since Azami draws so much hate that she doesn't stay on the board very long. Cards like Thousand-Year Elixir, Parallel Thoughts, Temporal Cascade, Distant Melody, Thought Reflections don't work well in this deck. They are just win more or dead card when you are losing. In those slots, I have Vedalken Shackles, Sower of Temptation and Evacuation. Those cards buy me more time to assemble my combo and they are really good by themselves.

BGH
01-30-2010, 04:49 AM
i never had counter magic, when i was still running it and so i learned to play without.
dammned?! i really forgot capsize? got to fix it, thx!
the jars never showed me, that i really need to get them. instead i added some other wizards.
thx for the map, i didn't remind it!
why should i play the scroll, when it's just searching for long-term plans and mystical tutor...
tomb...hm never thought to include that kind of lands, but thx, i'll test it!
merrow levitator i really missed to play? thx again! the other two: don't need the counter and the researcher may be included.

at all, thx for the tips.

hyc8028
01-30-2010, 12:49 PM
You are using Merchant Scroll to grab high tide or turnabout or capsize. Of course that very important. It is like having an extra copy of both.

Nightmare
02-01-2010, 04:35 PM
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?12002-Nightmare-s-Broken-Ass-EDH-deck

Tychoides
02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm in the process of making an Azami EDH deck (my first EDH deck!) and I got most of the cards for this (even Timetwister, w00t), but every time I see Grim Monolith in a blue deck, I always want to add Power Artifact for instant infinite colorless whenever I want it. Does that seem worth putting in this deck or is already enough insane mana for that to just be overkill?

rufus
02-10-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm in the process of making an Azami EDH deck (my first EDH deck!) and I got most of the cards for this (even Timetwister, w00t), but every time I see Grim Monolith in a blue deck, I always want to add Power Artifact for instant infinite colorless whenever I want it. Does that seem worth putting in this deck or is already enough insane mana for that to just be overkill?

Well:
1 Is there a card in the deck you want to remove to make it more competitive?
2. Is the deck more fun with the combo than without?

IMO The answer to both of those questions is frequently going to be no. There aren't a lot of artifacts in the deck that it's good with, and going infinite is generally speaking the sort of thing that might be fun the first time. YMMV, especially on the fun side of things.

hyc8028
02-10-2010, 11:05 PM

For me, I 'd like my cards solid by itself. Power artifact seem like a dead draw without grim monlith/Glided Lotus. Usually if you can pull out high tide/Gaunetlet/Lens/Academy and turnabout, it is pretty much over. Power artifact isn't needed.

Tychoides
02-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Both good points from a social and practical point of view. Thanks guys, I think I'll go with leaving it out for now.

BGH
02-13-2010, 02:50 PM
after my friends started to play more competitive edh-decks, i had to change my own deck and took out many wizards, i enjoyed to play so much. first it was only a theme deck, but after the level of my oppents decks was higher, i had to go along with the mostly seen versions of azami. it's better, no question, but in the end i miss some of my favourite cards...
(the meta in our 1on1 tournament had these decks: zur, savra, wort, rofellos, reaper king and other. these i saw. i made 2nd)

1 Tolaria West
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Oboro
1 Academy Ruins
1 Riptide Laboratory
1 Seat of Synode
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Minamo, School at Waters Edge
1 Crystal Vein
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Maze of Ith
20 Snow-Covered Island

1 Hapless Researcher
1 Sage of Epityr
1 Etherium Sculptor
1 Voidmage Prodigy
1 Vedalken AEthermage
1 Oboro Breezecaller
1 Willbender
1 Trinket Mage
1 Skill Borrower
1 Patron Wizard
1 Fatespinner
1 Venser, Shaper Savant
1 Inspired Sprite
1 Filigree Sages
1 Merrow Levitator
1 Voidmage Husher
1 Glen Elendra Archmage
1 Fallowsage
1 Magus of the Future

1 Pact of Negation
1 Repeal
1 Mystical Tutor
1 High Tide
1 Power Sink
1 Brain Freeze
1 Snap
1 Muddle the Mixture
1 Memory Lapse
1 Counterspell
1 Capsize
1 Forbid
1 Long-Term Plans
1 Dissipate
1 Faerie Trickery
1 Hinder
1 Stroke of the Genius
1 Frantic Search
1 Cryptic Command
1 Turnabout
1 Rewind
1 Force of Will
1 Evacuation

1 Braingeyser
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Time Spiral
1 Minds Desire

1 Mark of Eviction
1 Future Sight
1 Mind over Matter

1 Tezzeret, the Seeker

1 Mana Crypt
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mox Diamond
1 Chrome Mox
1 Sol Ring
1 Voltaic Key
1 Candalebra of Tawnos
1 Expidition Map
1 Senseis Divining Top
1 Mana Vault
1 Helm of Awakening
1 Scroll Rack
1 Grim Monolith
1 Sapphire Medallion
1 Extraplanar Lens
1 Eye of Ramos
1 Gauntlet of Power

(the list befor played many cards i just liked to play, but this is a list build to win not for fun)
i lost only one game against a savra (2 were around) with a hand full of land destruction...

i'm not sure to keep the skill borrower in the deck. i hoped for more from him, but mostly he only got tapped for azamis abillity and did nothing more.

i have something off topic to ask: is there any erayo thread? i have some problems to get this guy running well.

Sanctyfer
09-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Is inspired sprite realy that good in the deck ? I mean there are only about 20 wizards so 1 out of 5 cards...