PDA

View Full Version : Kaysa EDH List

AngryTroll
02-01-2010, 01:40 AM
I've decided it'd be fun to put together an Elf EDH deck. The best Elf Generals are Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary, Eladamri, Lord of Leaves, Nath of the Gilt-Leaf , and Tolsimir Wolfblood. However, I wanted to do something more creature-focused (and less "Answer my turn two general or get blown out on turn three") than Rofellos. Here's what I've put together so far. At some point I might try Tolsmir Wolfblood as the General; I've included what cards go into that list at the end.

Kaysa is an Elvish Lord that most people have never seen before. I think it'll have a much harder time with mass removal than targetted removal, so I went with Kaysa as general and Eladamri in the 99. The deck doesn't do very many broken things, but it has a ton of synergy that ought to make it interesting to play with and against. Of course, just running over people is a solid plan as well. The deck is built mostly for multiplayer, but it ought to be servicable for heads-up as well. I have 5C Control with Horde of Notions ready to go, full of countermagic, card drawing, and bombs; I want this to be something people don't mind playing against for more than a game or two. I'll keep updating the opening post with the current list.

-----General-----
Kaysa

-----1cc Elves-----
Arbor Elf
Boreal Druid
Elvish Skysweeper
Essence Warden
Fyndhorn Elves
Joraga Warcaller
Llanowar Elves
Llanowar Mentor
Quirion Ranger
Taunting Elf

-----2cc Elves-----
Bloodline Shaman
Eladamri, Lord of Leaves
Gempalm Strider
Heart Warden
Pendelhaven Elder
Priest of Titania
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
Seeker of Skybreak
Thornweald Archer
Tribal Forcemage
Viridian Zealot
Wellwisher
Wirewood Herald
Wirewood Hivemaster
Wolf-Skull Shaman
Wren's Run Vanquisher

-----3cc Elves-----
Caller of the Claw
Elvish Archdruid
Elvish Champion
Elvish Harbinger
Fierce Empath
Imperious Perfect
Jagged-Scar Archers
Thelonite Hermit
Timberwatch Elf

-----4cc Elves-----
Drove of Elves
Heedless One
Immaculate Magistrate
Llanowar Empath
Lys Alana Huntmaster
Masked Admirers
Nullmage Shepherd
Sylvan Messenger
Wren's Run Packmaster

-----5cc Elf-----
Deranged Hermit

-----Additional Creatures-----
Wirewood Symbiote
Skyshroud Poacher
Brass Herald
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
Regal Force
Woodfall Primus
Terastodon

-----Spells-----
Regrowth
Harmonize
Collective Unconscious
Nature's Resurgence
Summoner's Pact
Chord of Calling
Elvish Promenade

-----Other Permanents-----
Slate of Ancestry
Skullclamp
Sword of the Paruns
Gaea's Anthem
Coat of Arms
Staff of Domination
Overrun

-----Lands-----
Yavimaya Hollow
Pendelhaven
Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
Sapseep Forest
Wirewood Lodge
Slippery Karst
Tranquil Thicket
Wasteland
Dust Bowl

26 Forests

That's 101 cards + Kaysa, so it still needs some trimming. Notable cards missing from the list:
Survival of the Fittest
Genesis
Glimpse of Nature
Vigor
Beastmaster Ascension
Gaea's Cradle
All five of those are probably worth running. The Ascension, in particular, looks like it might be better than Gaea's Anthem.

It's pretty weak to mass removal, with only Caller of the Claw, Wirewood Herald, Skyshroud Poacher, Chord of Calling, and Summoner's Pact (for Caller), and then Nature's Resurgence there to stop the bleeding. Fierce Empath can fetch dudes big fat dudes to play after the rest of the dudes get blown up. Staff of Domination or Sword of the Paruns combo with either Priest of Titania or Elvish Archdruid for an infinite combos. I probably don't want that to be the main plan, because people will just congratulate me sarcastically and keep playing if I combo and win like that.

Gaea's Cradle was in the list initially, but I think the list has a ton of mana and nothing to do with all of it.

If I were to splash white, I'd run
Tolsimir Wolfblood as the general
Kaysa would be moved to the mainboard
Rhys the Redeemed
Selesnya Guildmage
Mirror Entity
Wilt-Leaf Liege
Eladamri's Call
Mirari's Wake
Ajani Goldmane
Green Fetches, G/W Duals and Bounceland, Kor Haven

I'll probably play with the white version eventually, but for now I want to play with the deck as mono-green for now. Although the deck lacks bomb-y cards, it has a lot of synergy, and it looks like fun on paper. Are there more important or awesome things that I'm missing?

MattH
02-01-2010, 12:22 PM
No Survival?

AngryTroll
02-01-2010, 04:07 PM
No Squee or Anger. You can have Genesis, Golgari Grave-Troll, or Gigapede, but they just aren't the same.

AngryTroll
02-03-2010, 12:51 PM

Anusien
02-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I have a similar list and Survival is batshit insane. There's a high correlation between "Playing Survival turn 2" and "Comboing off killing a player turn 4". My build is much more combo oriented, but here are some cards I like:

Glimpse of Nature
Survival of the Fittest
Nettle Sentinel
Elvish Visionary
Concordant Crossroads
Thousand Year Elixir (free Priest activations!)
Akroma's Memorial
Patron of the Orochi (combo and untap)
Weird Harvest (cast this with any mana floating and you win on the spot)
Worldly Tutor
Natural Order

Cards I'm considering:
Mycoloth
Skullmuncher
Primalcrux

Disruption I run:
Tormod's Crypt
Relic of Progenitus
Choke
Thorn of Amethyst

I actually cut Skullclamp from my list (too bad with the Lords, and I have better card drawing), and I cut all the "Make infinite mana with Priest" cards because they were lame. If you choose to go that route with Staff, you might want Sword of the Paruns.

I also run Sigil of Distinction, Jitte, SoFI and SoLS.

No Glissa?

I only run Forests except for a Gaea's Cradle, a Mikokoro, a Tranquil Thicket, and an Oran-Rief the Vastwood.

Edit: Jolrael is great Wrath protection.

Watcher487
02-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Just an out of place question here for Anusien here,

You are playing Combo Elves without playing Momir Vig?
You get Vig who is literally is a combo himself and you are playing blue....

AngryTroll
02-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Opening Post updated. I've added some more spells and cut some of the Elves that just attacked. Heritage Druid and Birchlore Ranger were cut, which doesn't seem amazing, but the deck doesn't have anything really cool to do with all of that mana after the first few turns; I sacrificed a little bit of explosiveness for some more action in the midgame.