PDA

View Full Version : [EDH] Miss Mayael (Multiplayer)

badjuju
02-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Sup guys,

Second EDH deck here for me designed for fun multiplayer action. Realize that Mayael is pretty bad 1v1, but given the nature of multiplayer (length and politics), Mayael is allowed the chance to show her true colors.

There are quite a few Mayael decklists on both MTGS and the EDH website. I loaded them up on MWS and scoffed at how abysmal the lists were. People have tried really hard to make her work competitively, but in reality she's really not that amazing of a general. They were all focusing too much on her ability to pull them through the game, which is pretty fail considering that she's a living removal spell lightning rod. So then what do you do with her? Well the deck does one thing, and it does it very well: just play a bunch of ramp and a bunch of fatties. If you manage to activate her, more power to you, but I made it a point not to bring her to the table and expect to win by flipping 5 cards every turn, cause that's just unrealistic.

The deck itself is comprised mostly of fat, so that when you play and activate Mayael, the chances of whiffing are minimized. Luckily, each and every piece of beef in the deck is a medium to major threat that must be dealt with. With that in mind, the early games are filled with removal, sweepers, and mana ramp - I know totally unexpected right. What RGW (the trio of worst EDH colors combined) does offer is a set of great frontload cards. This isn't a deck for shy people - you get down and gritty right away and force your opponents to respond. Coerce neighbors into allies and keep laying the fat down.

General
1 Mayael the Anima

Beef
1 Akroma, Angel of Fury
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Ant Queen
1 Admonition Angel
1 Blazing Archon
1 Flameblast Dragon
1 Godsire
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 Meglonoth
1 Mycoid Shepherd
1 Myojin of Life's Web
1 Oversoul of Dusk
1 Rampaging Baloths
1 Spearbreaker Behemoth
1 Twilight Shepherd
1 Bogardan Hellkite
1 Verdant Force
1 Vigor
1 Baneslayer Angel

Sweepers and Removal
1 Novablast Wurm
1 Crater Hellion
1 Scourge of Kher Ridges
1 Thunder Dragon
1 Hateflayer
1 Terastadon
1 Woodfall Primus

1 Akroma's Vengeance
1 Austere Command
1 Brightflame
1 Rout
1 Starstorm
1 Wrath of God

1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Arrest
1 Oblation
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Krosan Grip

Acceleration/Fixing
1 Eternal Dragon
1 Krosan Tusker

1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Nature's Lore
1 Rampant Growth
1 Farseek
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Mirari's Wake
1 Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
1 Reap and Sow
1 Recross the Paths
1 Skyshroud Claim
1 Valley Rannet
1 Sol Ring

Drawing / Tutors
1 Tooth and Nail
1 Greater Good
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Sylvan Library
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Worldly Tutor

Recursion / Utility
1 Aura Shards
1 Eternal Witness
1 Genesis
1 Naya Charm
1 Whispersilk Cloak
1 Lightning Greaves

Lands
Arid Mesa
Boros Garrison
City of Brass
Fire-Lit Thicket
Forest
Graypelt Refuge
Gruul Turf
Horizon Canopy
Jungle Shrine
Kazandu Refuge
Krosan Verge
Mosswort Bridge
Mountain
Plains
Plateau
Reflecting Pool
Rootbound Crag
Rugged Praerie
Sacred Foundry
Savannah
Selesnya Sanctuary
Snow-Covered Forest
Snow-Covered Mountain
Snow-Covered Plains
Spinerock Knoll
Stomping Ground
Sunpetal Grove
Taiga
Temple Garden
Temple of the False God
Treetop Village
Windswept Heath
Wirewood Lodge
Wooded Bastion
Wooded Foothills
Yavimaya Hollow

Other cards that should probably be in here:
-Sacellum Godspeaker
-Mana Reflection
-Bloom Tender
-Coalition Relic
-Timesifter
-Mirri's Guile
-Privileged Position
-Firespout
-Return to Dust
-Path to Exile
-Condemn

Recent additions to this list include three freshman:
-Admonition Angel (wowzers)
-Novablast Wurm (yikes!)
-Terastadon (boom boom dollar)

Another note: I'm only running 36 lands. I think the deck wants more, ontop of more accelerants. That said, I'm still also looking for more powerful Skyshroud Claim/Explosive Vegetation effects. They both help thin the deck and ramp quickly.

I think the deck itself is self-explanatory. But...
There is usually a lot of discussion revolving around what fatties to play, but I tried to pick the ones that had either immediate board impact, virtual card advantage, or serves as removal. Most lists I see don't run nearly enough ramp. One thing this deck does well is sit around for the first five turns of the game and twiddle its thumbs. Ramp is absolutely crucial, as I've noticed a lot of times I open with a bunch of fat that I wouldn't be able to cast for another year. It is also mandatory to run Swords/Oblation/Ring/Wrath etc etc to make sure things don't get out of hand while you're still in developing stages.

I'd like to know what you guys think. Remember that the goal of this deck is still for fun multiplayer, and never cutthroat 1v1.:wink:

And a few final comments...

Aura Shards is THE reason to play shitty EDH colors
The green Myojin is one of the most underrated cards in EDH
I am now known as "the bad guy". Thanks Iona and Woodfall Primus!
Maybe I should become "the EVIL guy" and play Realm Razer.
<3 Mayael