PDA

View Full Version : Omnath´s Food

zabuza
02-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi everybody.
Lot of time ago I developed an elemental deck that was funny as hell with that beautiful tribe called "elementals".
I left development behind because deck was good but it has several major troubles that i couldn´t find a solution for.
Now and with a great idea I´ve read over there I´m trying to develop the ultimate elemental deck list. It´s even funnier than the original list but It has lot of cards so I want you to help me to close the deck.

My actual list is the following:
4 x City of Brass
4 x Ancient Tomb
4 x Primal Beyond
4 x Gemstone Mine
4 x Lotus Petal
4 x Chrome Mox
---24 mana sources
4 x Flamekin Harbinger --> The big tutor, search for everything you want.
4 x Storm Entity --> The finishers, see below
4 x Incandescent Soulstoke --> One of the ways of stealing games. It reads kill me or you´ll die
4 x Spawnrithe --> Another way of of stealing games. It reads kill me or you´ll die
3x Omnath, --> The creature that names the deck. When you have nothing to do add green mana to your pool to see this monster grow till infinite and beyond
4 x Food Chain--> COMBOOOOOOOOOO. With all the evoke cards, draw effects and interesting effects of the elementals when coming into play.
4 x Briarhorn --> Helps with spawnwrithe making him pass through enemy lines
4 x Shriekmaw --> Removal of the deck. Could be
4 x Timbermare --> Nice trick of the deck. Direct damage and can be used to tap all defenses from enemies and beat with him and enormous storm entites FTW.
4 x Slithermuse --> The best, the definitive drawer. It enables the combo because you always will draw a lot with it.
4 x Mulldrifter --> The other drawer, neccesary to combo too.
1 x Offaslnout --> Tool for grave removal
1 x Ingot chewer --> Tool for artifact removal
1 x Wispmare --> Tool for Enchantment removal
4 x Spitebellows --> Another creature Removal. I´ve to decide between this and Shriekmaw
AS you can see I have to cut at least 13 cards but testing the deck it promises lot of fun and can be a machine of massive destruction. Can you help me to develop it?
Lot of thanks.

yankeedave
02-04-2010, 12:18 PM
You arent going to win many matches with just 4 City of Brass!

:D

Dave

The Wes
02-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Its seems your ratio of mana to threats is a little off...

zabuza
02-04-2010, 03:05 PM
First of all the post has been edited.

The deck has lot of synergy in itself and can be played as a combo deck like and aggro deck. There are lot of cards that need to be neutralized at the same time they appears into play (spawnwrithe, soulstoke,...) and has lot of card advantage.
I´ve tried to do the manabase with the low number of lands possible because you´ll draw them with muses and fishes and you dont´want to do it so much so is needed to play another mana sources that can be played in the same turn in multiples (artifacts) so you can exploit the power of slithermuse. Imagine a hand of 7 cards and one tomb, on2 chrome, one muse and one petal, you spend 5 cards having 3 mana open at the next turn, a 3/3 and new 5 cards thanks to muse. She is wonderful.

Omnath can be a monster here when you are comboing out, like storm entities (usually a 12/12 or more ) and you have timbermare to tap all the creatures the oppoenent has so you can win in one strike. To accomplish it you have tutors and lot of draw &mana (thanks to food chain). Usally if you combo out you´ll beat with several 1x/1x entities and a big big omnath.

If you can´t combo out yo´ll be in the aggro route where spawnwrithe, incandescent brianhorn and all other stuff shines. Believe me, is a real funny deck and can be even competitive if well designed.

What do you think about? Please can you help me to develop the deck? my last list could be something like:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [CH] City of Brass
4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
4 [MOR] Primal Beyond
4 [WL] Gemstone Mine

// Creatures
4 [LRW] Briarhorn
2 [PLC] Timbermare
1 [WWK] Omnath, Locus of Mana
4 [FUT] Storm Entity
4 [LRW] Flamekin Harbinger
4 [LRW] Incandescent Soulstoke
4 [MOR] Slithermuse
4 [SHM] Spawnwrithe
4 [JVC] Mulldrifter
4 [LRW] Shriekmaw

// Spells
4 [MR] Chrome Mox
4 [MM] Food Chain
4 [TE] Lotus Petal

Can you help me??

Poron
02-04-2010, 07:41 PM
very nice deck!

1x Æthersnipe and the list is better!

and you have also the best card ever print against counters: Eyes of the Wisent

Maveric78f
02-05-2010, 03:00 AM

// Lands
4 [CH] City of Brass
4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
4 [MOR] Primal Beyond
4 [WL] Gemstone Mine

// Creatures
4 [LRW] Briarhorn
2 [PLC] Timbermare
1 [WWK] Omnath, Locus of Mana
4 [FUT] Storm Entity
4 [LRW] Flamekin Harbinger
4 [LRW] Incandescent Soulstoke
4 [MOR] Slithermuse
4 [SHM] Spawnwrithe
4 [JVC] Mulldrifter
4 [LRW] Shriekmaw

// Spells
4 [MR] Chrome Mox
4 [MM] Food Chain
4 [TE] Lotus Petal

Can you help me??
I don't think the combo route is the best. I'd rather play it as a stompy deck. Meaning 4*Chalice, 4*Trinisphere. So Storm Entity, Omnath, Food Chain, Lotus Petal should be out, probably Flameking too. Then add 4 lands, some equipements, SoLaS of course, probably Jitte or SoFI.

zabuza
02-05-2010, 04:27 AM
I´ve tried elementals in all its possible configurations and believe me, the combo one is the best I´ve played.
Legacy nowdays is infested with removal, creatures and control spells so with this version you only need to combo out for winning. Imagine you cast food chain on the first turn (with the amount of acceleration the deck has is not difficult). After that in second turn you can begin chaining elementals evoking them till you have played over 12 or more creatures and play a couple of storm entities to finish the game. It´s more impressive if you can cast a timbermare before so the opponent can´t even block any of your dudes.

I´ve thought on sideboard and it´s great too. My initial configuration would be :

4 Wispmare
4 Ingot chewer
4 Summoning Trap
4 Offalsnout

With this configuration (choosing 15 of the 16 proposed cards ovb) I think you can face almost everything and beat him.

Offalsnout is a pain in the ass for dredge, reanimator and such kind of decks (it removes briges, has flash and can remove the Iona, or target of teh reanimating spells)

Wispmare is a house against DH, because he show and tell to DH and you put wipsmare into play destroying his DH in the process

Ingot chewer take care about stax and his trinispheres and so

And Summoning trap is a great solution to control decks because if they counter anything probably you are finding something better in the 7 top cards so who knows??

Can you help me to tune up and improve the deck?

Lot of thanks

Nelis
02-05-2010, 05:03 AM
I wonder if Slithermuse is a good choice? How often does your opponent have more cards than you. Since I haven't tested the deck I don't know how quickly you empty your hand. I also think that 4 mana is quite a lot because with a combo deck you would want to combo out as quickly as possible. I think you should try to pick those elementals that have the lowest evoke cost compared to their regular casting cost.

Maybe its an idea to put some of your sideboards cards in there as one offs instead of those slithermuses? That way your deck has a toolbox in it as well with Flamekin Harbinger.

EDIT: Hmm missed this:

I´ve tried to do the manabase with the low number of lands possible because you´ll draw them with muses and fishes and you dont´want to do it so much so is needed to play another mana sources that can be played in the same turn in multiples (artifacts) so you can exploit the power of slithermuse. Imagine a hand of 7 cards and one tomb, on2 chrome, one muse and one petal, you spend 5 cards having 3 mana open at the next turn, a 3/3 and new 5 cards thanks to muse. She is wonderful.

Does that happen often enough?

zabuza
02-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Slithermuse is the best elemental you can play, I assure you.
Because you can evoke for a very cheap cost and obtain mana in the process you´ll need something to refill your hand. This card is slithermuse.
This deck can`plays lot of spells chained so you need something that gives you lot of cards. This is slithermuse so you can´t remove it from the deck. Think that you are going to play lot of spells on your turn and you want to so slithermuse provides new cards to still continue the chain. Think in slithermuse like it was the goblin ringleader, did you remove it from the foodchain goblins deck??? ABSOLUTELY NO ;).

In this deck you are playing fast and fungible mana and cheap elementals (evoking them) so slithermuse usally provides you at least 4-5 cards when played. I´ve never drew less than 3 cards with it and sometimes I´ve drawn 7 cards.

One possible situation would be:

(7Cards) Ancient tomb, slithermuse, chrome mox, food chain, any multicolored land, other two elemental.
Turn 1 Tomb, mox (with other elemental) --> food chain (4 cards consumed)
Turn 2 Play multicolored land, Play (the other elemental and sac it to food chain leaving slithermuse into play)or Evoke slithermuse--> Draw 6 or 7 new cards. Continue playing cards till you can´t draw more but think that you have cheap critters, artifact mana and the only cards are going to sit in your hand are the lands (if i could find something that provides mana and could be played on multiples in the same turn it would be fantastic).

Another possible situation:

(7Cards) Multicolored mana, mox, petal, spawnwrithe, briarhorn, any other 2 cards
Play spawnwruithe on the first turn, on second beat and evoke briarhiorn so writhe deals damage--> Create an army of writhes.

Another one:
(7Cards) Tomb, mox/ petal, Soulstoke, any other 4 cards (preferible one slithermuse or mulldrifter)--> First turn Soulstoke, second turn if soulstoke is not unanswered begin to throw away elementals with soulstoke making shilly things.

Even a bad hand like Land,land, mox, card, Omnath, Storm entity anything more provides you a 2/2 haste and a bigger guy called omnath taht will grow till the infinite (and 3 more cards that can be shriekmaw, draw or anything else).

Aggro route: In any scenario you can take te aggro route and begin to play cards as usual but there is no problem with it.

So as you can see the deck could could be played in lot of different ways and depends on the ssynergy of all the cards included on it.

Anyways, please keep helping because I would like to improve the deck and play it.

Lot of thanks.

Gocho
02-05-2010, 06:41 AM
First of all the post has been edited.

The deck has lot of synergy in itself and can be played as a combo deck like and aggro deck. There are lot of cards that need to be neutralized at the same time they appears into play (spawnwrithe, soulstoke,...) and has lot of card advantage.

Omnath can be a monster here when you are comboing out, like storm entities (usually a 12/12 or more ) and you have timbermare to tap all the creatures the oppoenent has so you can win in one strike. To accomplish it you have tutors and lot of draw &mana (thanks to food chain). Usally if you combo out you´ll beat with several 1x/1x entities and a big big omnath.

If you can´t combo out yo´ll be in the aggro route where spawnwrithe, incandescent brianhorn and all other stuff shines. Believe me, is a real funny deck and can be even competitive if well designed.

What do you think about? Please can you help me to develop the deck? my last list could be something like:

// Lands
4 City of Brass
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Primal Beyond
4 Gemstone Mine

// Creatures
4 Briarhorn
2 Timbermare
1 Omnath, Locus of Mana
4 Storm Entity
4 Flamekin Harbinger
4 Incandescent Soulstoke
4 Slithermuse
4 Spawnwrithe
4 Mulldrifter
4 Shriekmaw

// Spells
4 Chrome Mox
4 Food Chain
4 Lotus Petal

Can you help me??

Much better.

Isn't Glarewielder better than Briarhorn?
You can use them like smalls Timbermare and can "Helps with spawnwrithe making him pass through enemy lines". With Food Chain they gives you 1 more mana if you evoke them.

Do you test Elvish Spirit Guide in some lands slot?
I think that your 1st turn Food chain would improve a little with them and is not a dead card before play Slithermuse.

zabuza
02-05-2010, 07:03 AM
I tested SSG and ESG but the problem is that in those cases you have lot of fungible mana so if opponent can stop you you have no way to recover because you haven´t mana to do it. I would like anything similar to chrome mox, mox diamond or something that remains in play to give you mana when needed. Anyways I´ll test again with 4 less lands and spirit guides, but I don´t think so it works well.

Glarewielder was another thing i toyed with but prefer briarhorn because sometimes oppoenent doesn´t block trusting on burning your writhe. In those scenarios briarhorn is better. Perhaps they could cover the slot of timbermare, but mare taps all creatures without making targets so you can tap a progenitus and win, and this is not posssible with Glarewielder. The same to mangooses and so.

More ideas???

Nelis
02-05-2010, 09:09 AM
There's 63 cards so I suppose you should to cut 3 cards. Do you really need Incandescent Soulstoke?

And did you test Smokebraider?

EDIT: with Aquamoeba you can get rid of excess lands in your hand. Good for the Slithermuses. And its an ok blocker

EDIT2: I've been fooling around with this deck a bit today. I think Lightning Serpent is a better kill than Storm Entity.

Lightning Serpent XR (1)
Creature — Elemental Serpent (2/1)
Trample, haste
Lightning Serpent enters the battlefield with X +1/+0 counters on it.
At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Lightning Serpent

It seems to me you get more mana from Food Chain Shenenigans than that you're able to get with storm count so Lightning Serpent wil always get bigger than Storm Entity. Also it has trample so you do not really need to tap any blockers.

rufus
02-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Honestly, Omnath looks pretty terrible/win-more for a deck like this. There are better ways to finish if you're comboing out, and the special ability is basically useless to you otherwise.

If you're chaining elementals - or just playing 2 or more per turn , Brighthearth Banneret is often going to be a better enabler than Soulbright Flamekin or Incandescent Soulstoke. (And Reinforce can occasionally be worthwhile as a combat trick with Spawnwraithe.)

Regardless, there's not that much in the way of compelling elementals or elemental tribal mechanics. Until then, this is going to be a casual deck.

zabuza
02-05-2010, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE]Regardless, there's not that much in the way of compelling elementals or elemental tribal mechanics. Until then, this is going to be a casual deck.[\QUOTE]

I´m not with you in this aseveration. In fact, I think you are wrong. Please, test the deck before. Think that this deck avoid counterbalnace, avoid chalice of the void, has an ultra fast aggro clock and has solutions to almost everything you face.

Anyways if you don´t like it, you are on your own right.

Omnath could be a win more card. I was thinking about removing it an including another elementals here. I´ve to try it. Banneret is a win more card too because when you are comboing you don´t need banneret at all. Anyways, i´ll test it.

Lot of thanks for your answers. Please can you keep helping to develop the deck?

rufus
02-06-2010, 12:40 AM
The current search feature here seems to leave a bit to be desired, but google came through for me. The food chain/evoke concept was discussed at some length several years ago, although some interesting cards have been added since then.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?7736-[Deck]-Food-Chain-Evoke-Abuse

forceofwillhk
02-06-2010, 11:09 AM
The current search feature here seems to leave a bit to be desired, but google came through for me. The food chain/evoke concept was discussed at some length several years ago, although some interesting cards have been added since then.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?7736-[Deck]-Food-Chain-Evoke-Abuse

thanks for this great info
i was going over those old posts

i been thinking about food chain deck for quite some time
and just posted my deck idea here http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=219093
please take a look
i may post the deck here too...
but i need to change considerably the forumn codes to make it work here

zabuza
02-06-2010, 06:58 PM
After you suggested the old thread and so I´ve read it and still I think the best way to go is making an elemental food chain deck. Thios is because elementals has great synergy between them and because provides an alternate way of winning games but comboing out.

Elemental provides nice creatures to abuse of and lot of tools to fight against enchantments, artifacts and so.

There are some new ideas that i must to think about like including a lightning serpent(which is an elemental too) as another win condition and things like that.

Waht would be your perfect list? Lot of thanks.

zabuza
02-08-2010, 03:57 AM
I´m thinking on using Ivy elemental for finishing the chain of spells. It has an aceptable cost xG and can be played without food chain.
BEside of that it´s green so you can imprint it on a chrome mox to play the food chain and uses counters so humility is not a problem for it. The only problem is that it hasn´t haste and/or any evasive hability so it can be chumpblocked forever. What do you think about it??

Another consideration I´m having is that Spawnwrithe is soo good that i would like to have something to make him bigger or evasive in order to exploit it. I´m using briarhorn now, but it´s not very useful when you are foodchaining. What do you think?

Fatestitcher
02-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Carpet of Flowers may be an auto-include in the sb:

Carpet of Flowers
Mana Cost: :g:

Enchantment
Oracle Text:
At the beginning of each of your main phases, if you haven't added mana to your mana pool with Carpet of Flowers this turn, you may add up to X mana of any one color to your mana pool, where X is the number of Islands target opponent controls.

Now if you can find a way to turn all your opponent's lands into Islands, Omnath can go nuts!

RexFTW
02-08-2010, 12:11 PM
This deck seems hilarious. I will try it out tonight!

Wargoos
02-08-2010, 12:19 PM
CotV looks like made for this deck.
Disturbing your opponent and saving your beater from removal?
I take 4 :D

Kangaxx
02-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Honestly, Omnath looks pretty terrible/win-more for a deck like this

I honestly don't believe in a threat being considered a win more card. Especially when spot removal, counters, mass removal on all of your other creatures are something to be aware of. Honestly, I'd probably run more of him.

rufus
02-08-2010, 06:11 PM
I honestly don't believe in a threat being considered a win more card. Especially when spot removal, counters, mass removal on all of your other creatures are something to be aware of. Honestly, I'd probably run more of him.

What I mean is that there are other creatures that are likely to be better almost all of the time. Stuff like a Megatherium, or something that has synergy with the deck concept like Manaplasm or Primal Forcemage.

MrShine
02-08-2010, 08:07 PM
If combo elves has brought anything to the table, its Glimpse of Nature. Seems like a much more reliable means of comboing than slithermuse.

zabuza
02-09-2010, 04:23 AM
I´ve found a card that fits perfectly in the deck and is one of the things i was looking for. I´m talking about : ¡¡¡¡Wolfbriar Elemental!!!!
This dude is a real menace in this deck. With food chain is easy to get 12 o more mana which means a 4/4 and 8 2/2 FTW. Now, I have the finisher of the deck.

I´ve decided to include 4 x offalsnout maindeck because they usually are useful (removing Ionas, specific cards that get +1/+1 to goyfs, bridges from below and lot of stuff i don´t want to see). Also it has flash and can be evoked by a single mana adding 4 to your pool. Definitely I think they must be played MD.

SDB now is something like:
4 wispmare
3 Ingot chewer
4 Summoning trap (I´m not sure about if i play a wolfbriar elemental with this card i could pay kicker (i don´t think so) but still it worth it).
4 Chalice of the void

I would like to have something that assures me spawnwrithe is going to connect because I love this card, but anyways, is only one of the menaces the deck has so probably it doesn´t worth it.

The actual list is something like:

4 Flamekin Harbinger
4 Storm entity
4 Spawnwruthe
4 Food Chain
4 Offalsnout
2 Omnath, Locus of mana
4 Wolfbriar elemenetal
4 Slithermuse
4 Mulldrifter
4 Shriekmaw
4 Lotus petal
4 Chrome Mox
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Primal beyond
4 City of brass
4 Gemstone mine

What do you think? Have you more ideas? Please keep helping because it´s being very good to develop the deck.

PD: Perhaps the deck could use goblin bushwaker to give haste and a bonus to all the wolves and killing in a single turn.

Kangaxx
02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I´ve found a card that fits perfectly in the deck and is one of the things i was looking for. I´m talking about : ¡¡¡¡Wolfbriar Elemental!!!!
This dude is a real menace in this deck. With food chain is easy to get 12 o more mana which means a 4/4 and 8 2/2 FTW. Now, I have the finisher of the deck.

I´ve decided to include 4 x offalsnout maindeck because they usually are useful (removing Ionas, specific cards that get +1/+1 to goyfs, bridges from below and lot of stuff i don´t want to see). Also it has flash and can be evoked by a single mana adding 4 to your pool. Definitely I think they must be played MD.

SDB now is something like:
4 wispmare
3 Ingot chewer
4 Summoning trap (I´m not sure about if i play a wolfbriar elemental with this card i could pay kicker (i don´t think so) but still it worth it).
4 Chalice of the void

I would like to have something that assures me spawnwrithe is going to connect because I love this card, but anyways, is only one of the menaces the deck has so probably it doesn´t worth it.

The actual list is something like:

4 Flamekin Harbinger
4 Storm entity
4 Spawnwruthe
4 Food Chain
4 Offalsnout
2 Omnath, Locus of mana
4 Wolfbriar elemenetal
4 Slithermuse
4 Mulldrifter
4 Shriekmaw
4 Lotus petal
4 Chrome Mox
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Primal beyond
4 City of brass
4 Gemstone mine

What do you think? Have you more ideas? Please keep helping because it´s being very good to develop the deck.

PD: Perhaps the deck could use goblin bushwaker to give haste and a bonus to all the wolves and killing in a single turn.

Well, if you want an instant kill, you could always run Bogardan Hellkite, then sac it to generate mana becuase of the advantage it has as a CITP ability over other things. x4 Hellkites and x4 Storm Entitys should be the only win conditions you will ever need in a deck like this.

zabuza
02-09-2010, 11:48 AM
The dragon is not an elemental, and you need multiple copies of them to win so I don´t think it´s a good win con. With only one wolfbriar you can kill in two turns (one to play it and one to beat with everything).

I think the deck now is well prepared to be seriously played in a tourney so when I receive the cards I don´t own (wolfbriar) I´m going to play it in my local shop to see how well it can work.

Any more ideas???

Kangaxx
02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
The dragon is not an elemental, and you need multiple copies of them to win so I don´t think it´s a good win con. With only one wolfbriar you can kill in two turns (one to play it and one to beat with everything).

I think the deck now is well prepared to be seriously played in a tourney so when I receive the cards I don´t own (wolfbriar) I´m going to play it in my local shop to see how well it can work.

Any more ideas???

Why are you hyperfocusing on a bad creature type? I don't see any tribal cards in your list. But that's irrelevent since you seem to have the mentality that you do not want to improve your deck.

zabuza
02-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Well, I´m going to answer you:

First of all I´m not focusing the deck on a bad creature type. I´m trying to exploit the synergy these cards have between themselves.

The truth is that elementals has lot of synergy between them. If you use elementals you can use Primal beyond (a rainbow land without any drawback) to cast any of your spells (neither other creatures have a land like this one).

Elementals have a tutor (FLamekin Harbibnger) for a SINGLE MANA that search any elemental for you.

Elementals are the only creatures that has evoke which is exploited in this deck (mulldrifter, offalnout, shriekmaw, slithermuse).

Elementals has a card that make you draw lot of cards (slithermuse). None other creature type has something like this one (ringleader, enlistment officer,..., none of them can make you draw 6-7 new cards, and beside of that the cards you are drawing has no restriction (like ringleader has).

Elementals have usually a big body and useful habilities. any of them need an instant answer (i.e. spawnwrithe ) and all of them combines perfectly with food chain.

If you still can´t understando why elementals are good and why this deck uses them, please think about again.

I´m not saying this deck is the best, even very competitive (yet), but i can assure you two things. This deck is funny like none else and this deck has lot of potential. You have weapons to fight against any other, have artifact, echantment and creature removal (there are lot of decks that have not all this things) and have something to fight against combo (chalice of the void) that doesn´t hurt the deck at all.

Please think again what you´ve said. I think you were wrong, but anyways the purpose of this thread is to improve the deck. If you don´t like it you don´t have to post if you don´t want to.

Any more ideas? Can anybody suggest something new??

Kangaxx
02-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Usually a Food Chain build with Bogardan Hellkite, Storm Entity, and Myojin of Seeing Winds is going to be the better deck. That's all I'm saying. All initial decks evolve into something better and that's what I was trying to point out to you.

zabuza
02-14-2010, 07:47 AM
What about playing carpet of flowers on sideoard?? IT would be included instead summoning trap and will be used against every blue deck you can play against. It only cost G so you can play it on the first turn and provides lot of multicolored mana to play any of the creatures you have. What do you think about?