PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Cheap Storm

kicks_422
02-04-2010, 09:50 PM
To cut the long story short, I wanted a dirt cheap Storm deck just so I can have something to storm out with on casual tables until I've recovered the cards I had to sell off for college.

And this is what I ended up with.

4 Ancient Spring
4 Geothermal Crevice
4 Sulfur Vent

4 Dark Ritual
4 Cabal Ritual
4 Rite of Flame
4 Lotus Petal

4 Chromatic Star
4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Manamorphose

4 Ideas Unbound
4 Sign in Blood
4 Compulsive Research
4 Peer Through Depths

4 Tendrils of Agony

Sideboard

4 Early Frost
4 Echoing Truth
4 Echoing Ruin
3 Empty the Warrens

It's based on the Pauper Storm decks running around, but without the restriction of Pauper, I subbed out the Grapeshots for Tendrils of Agony. Goes off Turn 3-4, rarely on Turn 2.

I'd lke to try to take a page out of Nausea (does anyone still remember that deck?) and fit in Spoils of the Vault somewhere, and if I do, I'd probably cut the Sign in Blood. Maybe even Helm of Awakening as well.

It's not really meant to be a serious deck, though it will still win against random aggro and maybe fight through simple countermagic. Maybe. Like I said, it's just a placeholder until I get TES or DDANT back. Comments or suggestions are always welcome.

xTrainx
02-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Been working on a cheap storm as well.

Try adding 6 swamp, and playing Seething Song and Desperate Ritual.

Drop the draw spells, get Ad Nauseum(its pretty cheap, 59c on blackborder). It can goldfish on Turn 2, usually triggers turn 3.

-12 draw
-4 Sphere
+4 Nauseam
+6 Swamp
+4 Song
+4 Rit

kicks_422
02-14-2010, 06:10 PM
I don't know if that would help. Ad Nauseam would be great, but without the rest of the components of ANT, I don't think it would work well here. You just can't properly abuse Ad Nauseam on such a tight budget.

xTrainx
02-14-2010, 11:30 PM
You definitely can't abuse it as easily as you can in other decks, but what does it lose for you?

I dunno though, its your deck. I'd suggest trying to test it on MWS with both ways before completely writing off ADN.

coraz86
02-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Any reason you're not running Channel the Suns? I remember that being pretty nice in Extended storm decks for a while, and it might make your math easier to just have one of each mana floating (instead of having to remember what you have and what you need, which I usually fuck up when I'm running storm). I know four mana is a bit, but it does net you one.

MGC_player
02-15-2010, 12:27 PM
U/R storm could also be incredibly cheap. I use this for peasant and it has been incredible

Mana: 16
4 Lotus Petal
7 Mountain
5 Island

Rituals: 12
4 Rite of Flame
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Seething Song

Cantrips/Filter: 20
4 Ponder
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Serum Visions
4 Manamorphose
2 Peer Through Depths
2 Impulse

Storm cards: 12
4 Storm Entity
4 Empty the Warrens
4 Grapeshot

Deck can kill on turn 1 (rarely). Turns 2 - 4 is the average. The redundancy via filtering has been great since it allows me to storm every 3 turns to keep a constant flow of pressure.

xTrainx
02-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Hijacking the thread a little, trying to piece together a storm deck while I work on building stuff up. I listed most all of the 'need cards' I have, just wondering if anyone can help a little.

x10 Swamp
x10 Mountain
x1 Sulfur Vent
x1 Geothermal Crevice

x4 Desperate Ritual
x4 Seething Song
x4 Dark Ritual
x1 Rite of Flame

x4 Ad Nauseam

x4 Chromatic Sphere
x1 Chrome Mox

x2 Tendrils of Agony

x4 Duress
xX Other cost 0 spells.

---------

My question: Is it worth attempting to run this? Or should I stick with the other deck I have until I get more Rite's, Empty the Warrens, and two more Tendrils(for consistency)? Also trying to pick up Cabal Rits, but those are harder to get a good deal on.

Gocho
02-25-2010, 03:50 AM
U/R storm could also be incredibly cheap. I use this for peasant and it has been incredible

4 Lotus Petal
7 Mountain
5 Island

4 Rite of Flame
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Seething Song

4 Ponder
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Serum Visions
4 Manamorphose
2 Peer Through Depths
2 Impulse

4 Storm Entity
4 Empty the Warrens
4 Grapeshot

Deck can kill on turn 1 (rarely). Turns 2 - 4 is the average. The redundancy via filtering has been great since it allows me to storm every 3 turns to keep a constant flow of pressure.

If you go with Empty the Warrens, you can add Goblin Bushwhacker to gain 1 turn earlier. You have a video about Pauper Storm here:
http://www.mtgoacademy.com/common-denominators-storm/

Gocho
02-25-2010, 03:50 AM

4 Lotus Petal
7 Mountain
5 Island

4 Rite of Flame
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Seething Song

4 Ponder
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Serum Visions
4 Manamorphose
2 Peer Through Depths
2 Impulse

4 Storm Entity
4 Empty the Warrens
4 Grapeshot

If you go with Empty the Warrens, you can add Goblin Bushwhacker to gain 1 turn earlier. You have a video about Pauper Storm here:
http://www.mtgoacademy.com/common-denominators-storm/

Greenpoe
03-05-2010, 08:55 PM
How about a storm deck based around Wheel of Fate and mostly instant-speed spells to play in response to when the spell is finally played? It could use Ancestral Visions and Deep Anaylsis (if it got discarded with Wheel of Fate, you could flashback it!).

xTrainx
03-07-2010, 09:10 AM
I'm playing something that looks like:(some expensive cards that I've been able to pick up too)

x4 Sulfur Vent
x4 Geothermal Crevice
x4 Ancient Spring
x5 Swamp
x1 Gemstone Mine

x4 Dark Ritual
x4 Cabal Ritual
x4 Seething Song
x1 Chrome Mox

x4 Ad Nauseam

x4 Tendrils of Agony
x2 Grapeshot
x2 Empty the Warrens

xXx 0cc crap(good ones are: Urza's/Mishra's Bauble ->feed Cabal, Fountain of Youth -> up life while waiting to go off)

I've been able to go off on Turn Two, Generally turn 3-4, and win about 70% of the time that AdN resolves. Also have been able to win a couple games with an AdN in hand -> i.e Ritual, Song, stuff, double tendrils.

Granted, this is playing against almost no countermagic, although I have played a pretty good burn(pretty much no PoP/Fireblasts) and won ~60% against it.