PDA

View Full Version : [Report + Videos] GPT Madrid - Badalona (Barcelona) 07/02/10

Enric
02-09-2010, 05:58 AM
Hi!

There are a few videos from the GP Trial to Madrid, placed in Barcelona.

There were 74 players playing 7 swiss rounds with this final pairings (Bold = winner):

Top 8, this time the decklists won't be available:

Francisco Fernández (U Merfolks) - Sergio Salas (Zoo)
Xavier Muntada (Bant Agro) - Enric Luzán (Enric) (SurviBant with NO (http://magiccards.info/vi/en/64.html) in side)
Sergi Juan de la Cruz (Zoo) - Iñaki Puigdollers (Bant Agro)
Oscar Merino (SurviBant with NO (http://magiccards.info/vi/en/64.html) in side) - Jordi García (Survival GW)

The Top 4 wasn't played.

This time I could only record 1 Round, a semi-mirror that can be very interesting to some and boring for others.

Top 8: Xavier Muntada (Bant Agro) vs. Enric Luzán (Enric) (SurviBant with NO (http://magiccards.info/vi/en/64.html) in side)

G1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwFCwbH_1vc),G2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF5qlWsEayU),G3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brgLxh5ZSgk)

Here (http://www.factoriademishra.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1420) is my report, in spanish.

There's a playlist (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0C4F399EEFD84258) of all my mtg videos.

Enjoy!

Magicjake
02-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Great video.. Thanks..

And nice with the answer for the 10/10 .. another 10/10... :-)

soiber2000
02-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Hello, just to mention that I'm Jordi Garcia and I won 2-1 .

Thanks

Enric
02-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the information and congrats.

klaus
02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Thx!
Kp up the good work!

beastman
02-09-2010, 04:01 PM
@Jordi, why did you concede in game 1? You had a rhox war monk in hand, and the mana to cast him, you still could have pulled out the win there.

RogueMTG
02-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Congratz on the finish, and thanks for all the videos!

Awesome Llawan off the top ftw.

Jak
02-09-2010, 06:43 PM
@Jordi, why did you concede in game 1? You had a rhox war monk in hand, and the mana to cast him, you still could have pulled out the win there.

He was on two life with a Trygon Predator attacking him next turn.

Enric
02-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Edit

soiber2000
02-09-2010, 06:56 PM
@Jordi, why did you concede in game 1? You had a rhox war monk in hand, and the mana to cast him, you still could have pulled out the win there. No no, i am not the one in the video and I just said my results because enric has posted first that he didn't know my results. I was playing GW survival which was very good all day, with reliquarys and iona combo, and specially with 4 mother of runes that gave me the vivtory and 3 byes at gp madrid

beastman
02-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm loving the resurgence of survival.

MMogg
02-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Nice videos... so short... so few. :cry:

Is it just me, or do you think Enric Luzán misplayed game 1 by countering creatures instead of saving counters to backup the Survival? Perhaps he didn't have it at the time.

I agree with RogueMTG, great game 2 finish.

Jak
02-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Is it just me, or do you think Enric Luzán misplayed game 1 by countering creatures instead of saving counters to backup the Survival? Perhaps he didn't have it at the time.

I have no idea what his hand was, but if you don't have Survival, you can basically function like a Thresh deck of old, but a little more aggro oriented since you are running 20+ creatures instead of 12-14 (like old UGW Thresh builds ran).

But anyway, I believe he played it right. He tried to draw counters out of the opponents hand with Goyf and then followed up with Survival that met Force. Daze is dead late so using it to counter early threats is fine, like he did against Tarmogoyf on turn 3. He also used another Daze on a Pridemage which also is protecting Survival and keeping the opponent's threats off the board. Later on, it depends what is in your hand. I don't know about trying to Force the War Monk , but life totls were in the tweens, and being able to aggro out the oppoent with exalted dudes (Enric played a Pridemage the turn after the War Monk had come into play) is an effective plan.

I am pretty positive he drew the Survival too late and a few turns after he attempted to Force the War Monk.

MMogg
02-09-2010, 10:09 PM
I have no idea what his hand was, but if you don't have Survival, you can basically function like a Thresh deck of old, but a little more aggro oriented since you are running 20+ creatures instead of 12-14 (like old UGW Thresh builds ran).

But anteryway, I believe he played it right. He tried to draw couns out of the opponents hand with Goyf and then followed up with Survival that met Force. Daze is dead late so using it to counter early threats is fine, like he did against Tarmogoyf on turn 3. He also used another Daze on a Pridemage which also is protecting Survival and keeping the opponent's threats off the board. Later on, it depends what is in your hand. I don't know about trying to Force the War Monk , but life totls were in the tweens, and being able to aggro out the oppoent with exalted dudes (Enric played a Pridemage the turn after the War Monk had come into play) is an effective plan.

I am pretty positive he drew the Survival too late and a few turns after he attempted to Force the War Monk.

Ah, I see. I'm really skeptical of countering your opponent's threats as a way of drawing out counters though. You are giving them the option to use their counter or not. For example, you counter a Tarmogoyf/RWM, and they do nothing, it's countered. Now you have one less counter to help stick your key tools. If you keep a two-counter back-up, you can almost be assured victory in the counter war; if you already used one counter and then they still have two... :eyebrow: I guess – rightly or wrongly – I think countering to draw out counters sacrifices a little bit of decision making and gives the opponent the upper hand. I could be and probably am wrong though. :laugh:

I know, this is all academic because we have no idea what is in his hand, and if he didn't have the Survival (which, I'm educated-guessing he didn't), as you said he has to turn aggro, in which case countering threats will win you the ground war, and hence, the right play.

Jak
02-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Ah, I see. I'm really skeptical of countering your opponent's threats as a way of drawing out counters though. You are giving them the option to use their counter or not. For example, you counter a Tarmogoyf/RWM, and they do nothing, it's countered. Now you have one less counter to help stick your key tools. If you keep a two-counter back-up, you can almost be assured victory in the counter war; if you already used one counter and then they still have two... :eyebrow: I guess – rightly or wrongly – I think countering to draw out counters sacrifices a little bit of decision making and gives the opponent the upper hand. I could be and probably am wrong though. :laugh:

I know, this is all academic because we have no idea what is in his hand, and if he didn't have the Survival (which, I'm educated-guessing he didn't), as you said he has to turn aggro, in which case countering threats will win you the ground war, and hence, the right play.

No, no. I was saying that he played Goyf to draw out counters which it did, just not the Force he was hoping for. The way Enric played it, he was testing the waters. I don't know if I would have done the same because I would have played around Daze to do it and if the opponent had countered the Goyf, he would have had to use Force. Then, you can follow up with Survival on turn 4. This negates their Daze and their Spell Pierce on Survival, basically leaving them with only Force of Will to answer Tarmogoyf and/or Survival.

Enric
02-10-2010, 05:40 AM
Yes, I draw Survival the last turn so I couldn't prevent nothing.

The missplay was playing that Tarmogoyf on turn two, not playing around Daze.

sauce
02-10-2010, 09:50 AM
videos are coming along great, getting a lot better than in the beginning.
i dont think you need to put up picture of tarmogoyf / daze / force / swords etc when they are played, i mean people that are watching know all those cards.
fringe cards like llawan may be ok to flash though.

great job

Deviruchi
02-10-2010, 11:19 AM
When I see tag: [Report + Videos] in new posts it makes me happy because I like watching legacy matches very much. Unfortunately this time there is only one match but it's better than 0. Good job Enric!

Magicjake
02-15-2010, 09:29 AM
I think the pic u show is great.. and nok only for the not-so-played cards.

Dia_Bot
02-16-2010, 11:19 AM
great vids, congratz.
the bant mirror (survival vs regular) was very entertaining to watch