PDA

View Full Version : [EDH] Radiant, Archangel

Atwa
02-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Letme start off by saying I've never played real EDH before. I've toyed around a little with it on mws, but I've never played it with real cards. However I've planned to go to Madrid in a few weeks and am realistic enough about my chances to know I won't be making day 2. Not that I care, I want to go for the experience, but still I need a deck to play with after I get sick of Eternal Garden.

I was thinking about playing the Gerard deck in these forums, but since I collect Legendary cards I wanted to see if I could build myself a EDH deck. Now I know Mono White stompy isn't that hard to contruct, but the deck fits my playstyle, so I wentalong with it.

General:
Radiant, Archangel

Lands:
28 plains
1 New Benalia
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Kor Haven
1 Blinkmoth Nexus
1 Maze of Ith
1 Eiganjo Castle

Creatures:
1 mana
Suntail Hawk
2 mana
1 Soulcatcher
1 Angelic Page
1 Serra Avenger
1 Mystic Familiar
1 Cloudreach Cavalry
3 Mana
1 Mystic Crusader
1 Diving Griffin
1 Thunder Spirit
1 Stonecloaker
1 Haunted Angel
1 Lieutenant Kirtar
1 Cloudchaser Kestrel
1 Aven Riftwatcher
1 Aven Mindcensor
4 Mana
1 Mistmoon Griffin
1 Magus of the Moat
1 Dust Elemental
1 Dawn Elemental
1 Windborn Muse
1 Guardian Seraph
1 Emeria Angel
1 Serra Advocate
1 Commander Eesha
1 Aven Liberator
1 Voice of All
5 Mana
1 Glory
1 Archon of Justice
1 Reveillark
1 Karmic Guide
1 Blinding Angel
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Celestial Gatekeeper
1 Gustcloak Savior
1 Serra Angel
6 Mana and higher
1 Eternal Dragon
1 Yosei, the Morning Star
1 Spirit of the Hearth
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Exalted Angel
1 Platinum Angel
1 Adarkar Valkyrie
1 Glarecaster
1 Aven Brigadier

Other Cards:

1 Kirtar's Wrath
1 Island Sanctuary
1 Ghostly Prison
1 Faith's Fetters
1 Aura of Silence
1 Decree of Justice
1 Luminarch Ascension
1 Sacred Mesa
1 Skullclamp
1 Serra Aviary
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sol Ring
1 Crusade
1 Gauntlet of Power
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Condemn
1 Land Tax

Since I lack deck building experience with EDH, I wanted to know if I was missing something. The main idea was that every creature must have flying and/or interact with flying. When I started out it had a more bird oriented theme with Soraya the Falconer (with errata so it affects birds instead of falcons) and Soulcatchers' Aerie, but when cutting the deck down to 99 cards, I almost cut all the birds over the angels. The only reason Aven Brigadier is still in the deck is because he doens't suck (too hard) on his own. As soon as I shell out the money to buy Elspeth, it'll get replaced.

Things to notice when helping me out:
- I don't want to spend a lot of money on this deck. Don't recommend me Moat or Elspeth, since I won't be buying them any time soon.
- I know Serra Angel isn't as good as it once was. I play it for nostalgic reasons. I cried when I cut Wall of Swords, no lie.
- I'll play this deck for fun. I know cards like Armageddon make the deck better, but I dislike mass land destruction in fun games.

Other than that, I am open to every suggestion.

Changes so far:
Crusade -->Honor of the Pure

Sims
02-14-2010, 11:00 AM
My main question would be are your intentions to play this in a 1 v 1 game, or are you intending to sit down with a group of people?

Most of the judges that play EDH after hours are there for the fun and they won't be playing stuff TOO seriously (probably not much in the way of serious combo decks, just a lot of huge mana spells and fun interactions).... but some of the players that you might sit down with to play a game or two will not be as cordial. So in that regard, I'd decide if you're wanting to do more duals or multiplayer hilarity, and then tweak accordingly. More aggro is fine for duals, though you have to be able to answer the kid who sits down with Arcum, Azami, or Oona and just combos off on your face... but if you're gunning for multi play, slowing it back down and playing some bigger spells that have a higher impact on the game will be clutch.

I would also suggest, since you're using Razia, to fully abuse her colors and add red into the deck. Razia's Purification, Obliterate, etc. are good reset buttons for when the game is getting too hairy, Brightflame can be a good psuedo-wrath, but a huge life swing for you as well. You could even go Psuedo-tax and run some of the white taxing enchantments like Ghostly Prison, maybe Rule of Law, Kismet, etc. to slow your opponents down while you build board state.

Lots of directions you can take, but I think the pure-aggro beat down deck is a difficult one to pull off in EDH, and you might want to consider more High-Impact cards that will swing games (or create massive lulz) when you cast them.

Atwa
02-14-2010, 11:05 AM
I would also suggest, since you're using Razia, to fully abuse her colors and add red into the deck.

I love the fact that even when you use the roll over tags, Adepts manage to read their cards wrong :laugh:

But thanks for the overall advise. Any thought for the list while keeping the list mono white?

nodahero
02-14-2010, 02:27 PM
You should prolly play Crusade, Glorius Anthem, and Honor the Pure (the new "crusade").

Atwa
02-14-2010, 02:44 PM
I already play Crusade. I will switch it to Honor of the Pure though, as I hate enemy Dorans growing of my enchantments. I'd love to add the others, but I feel I'm a little pressed for space. Not sure if cutting creatures for enchantments which boost said creatures is the way to go. I could of course cut Serra Aviary for a Glorious Anthem, however I'm a sucker for flavor in my casual decks.