PDA

View Full Version : Singleton 100 : Monoblue VS RGW Aggro

Offler
02-14-2010, 10:15 AM
I have one report from Highlander tournament in our city lately and the results are pretty same as for last years. 90 percent of all decks are Aggros. The best of them are based on Savannah Lions, Kird Ape or its newest cousin Steppe Lynx.

Report also says that those decks can kill in 4th turn while the late game is not much maintained. Globally very easy decks to play with creatures with good P/T in comparison to manacost while the late game is maintained with random token generator engine.

The color choice was mostly doublecolor.

One friend of mine was playing combo deck with reanimating, with really big bad creatures. I believe that he could have better results when he should play more crowd control spells, althought his common strategy with Wrath of God was too slow...

Yesteday we also play together, and he won most of time while having one strong creature against me, while his win condition was mostly Sneak attack and fact i played my counterspells quite poorly :D. Most of time i had no trouble beating elf based decks, or some other pure green agro decks, but i had no possibility to play against good agro deck.

Mainly i rely on infinite combos, but all sources of colored infinite mana are available with 4 mana sources in play. Accelerating early play is possible way how to ignite infinite mana earlier, but in such format it will still take too much time. Other way is to slow down opponent or lock him completely. Blue has in this part some really evil enchantments which may partially or totally block playing creature cards.

Lets say, how should look part of a monoblue deck which is mainly focused against such decks?

Offler
02-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Sorry for not putting the cards here... i had to end, and my connection was down for few days...

Good way how to slow-down RGW aggro decks is to find some low manacost creatures which may work as a decoy, as wall, or one turn blocker.

Hapless researcher - In comparison with Library of Lat Nam... it will cost you one card to shuffle into library, the card itself when comes to graveyard, instead you will receive two random cards. Hapless researcher say, that you will discard one card to draw new one, but as the second card you will draw in comparison to Library should be 1/1 blue human wizard creature in play. Any creature in play able to block even once is vice-versa equal to random card draw.

Simply to say... Library of lat nam gives you two random card, while Hapless researcher gives you one random card and one blocking creature for sure. Therefore Hapless researcher is worthy both as card draw engine and blocking.

Cursecatcher - very similar situation as with hapless researcher. Cursecatcher is similar to Disrupt in same way.

Whats the difference between playing sacrifical creatures instead of instants? Creatures are surely slower, but both those wizards have ability to perform the action which is similar to the spell, and also act on battlefield - mostly as blockers.

Walls: Kraken hatchling
well 0/4 for 1 blue mana.

Why yes?
- Only very few creatures for less than 2 mana CMC are able to deal 4 damage
- If such aggro want to destroy him it needs much more mana or cards that was complete cost Kraken Hatchling. Think about 3 damage for 1 red mana.

Why not?
- In later game could be dead draw.

Walls: Wall of tears versus Kaijin of Vanishing touch
Both return attacker to hand of opponent. Both cost 2 mana. First one is 0/4, second is 0/3. Is it easy to say that Wall of tears is better? I was trying to find whether its better to have 0/4 blocker, or card which will call your opponent to burn it instead of burning me. It is really hard to predict what will slow down my opponent more. If he attacks with his first 2+/x creature and let it bounce while killing the Kaijin, or if he waits into state of game where it does not matter if i have single 0/3 or 0/4 wall.

Walls: Fog bank
It has to be destroyed by a spell. automatically only few direct damage spells are better than this. When it can block at least one creature and attract at least one direct damage spell it is still worthy.

Enchantment: Overburden
Very evil way how to get your opponent stop playing creatures, or at least make their cost bit different. Does not work when comes into play too late or against deck with less creatures.