PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Braids!

AcidFiend
02-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Braids is one of my favourite creatures. I had a mono-black Braids deck for a long time, but for various reasons have decided to build a B/G Braids. Idea is to drop a bunch of permanents so that I can keep feeding Braids while my opponents die. Overrun & Xathrid Demon (wee!) are kill conditions.

Aim of the deck:
-Build board position through Braids, kill with Overrun and/or Demon
-Be budget conscious
-Be multiplayer friendly

Deck list:
4 Tukatongue Thallid
3 Wall of Blossoms
3 Farhaven Elf
3 Squirrel Nest
4 Call of the Herd
4 Braids
3 Graveborn Muse
1 Savra, Queen of the Golgari
2 Dimir House Guard
3 Creakwood Liege
3 Xathrid Demon
3 Overrun

4 Khalni Garden
2 Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai
2 Tainted Wood
2 Golgari Rot Farm
2 Twilight Mire
4 Forest
8 Swamp

Card choices:

Tukatongue, Wall of Blossoms, Farhaven Elf, Squirrel Nest, Call of the Herd, Khalni Garden, God's Eye, Creakwood Liege: All these serve as early permanents to pave the way for Braids. Squirrel Nest & Creakwood help you keep Braids/Demon out indefinitely. Creakwood also buffs your guys.

Braids: No explanation needed :)

Graveborn Muse: I wanted some more card advantage to support all the sacrificing I'll be doing. Graveborn is a decent body and 1 extra card per turn. I can sacrifice it when my life gets low, and can be tutored for.

Dimir House Guard: Transmutes for Braids, Creakwood, Graveborn & Savra as needed.

Savra, Queen of the Golgari: Probably overkill, but can do cute things. With Liege, Braids & Savra, you can sac a Wurm token and have each opponent sac as well for free.

Xathrid Demon: I really want to play this guy, 7/7 flying trample for 6 is insane. With all the tokens this deck generates, you can use his ability to ping away at someone's life total as well.

Overrun: Sometimes a Demon won't get there, and you'll have a bunch of useless tokens. Overrun gets you the win.

Cards that have been great in testing:
Squirrel Nest, Braids, Creakwood Liege, Xathrid Demon, Overrun, Khalni Garden

I wouldn't say anything else is sacred though. I know there are a number of cards that would help the deck like Bitterblossom, Master of the Wild Hunt, Life from the Loam, Bloodghast, Garruk, Maelstrom Pulse etc. That deck would be NUTS, but unfortunately I can't afford those kinds of cards. This is a budget project.

Thoughts/opinions welcome! :smile:

tpnp
02-24-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm not entirely sure where it can fit, but Sprout Swarm might have it's merits. Convoke + Buyback can be brutal when you have Braids on the table.

AcidFiend
02-24-2010, 06:44 PM
I definitely considered Sprout Swarm, however I think in most cases Squirrel Nest is just better. Leaves my other guys open to block, only takes the tapping of 1 land (once cast). Liege also creates a 2/2 every turn for free, as well as buffing your guys.

I was also thinking about -1 Overrun +1 Beastmaster Ascension but I'm not sure about that.

Gocho
02-25-2010, 03:40 AM
If you can get 7 or more creatures in play with Braids. Ascension is better. If not, play Overrun