PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Pages : 1 2 [3]

nesys
03-11-2018, 10:49 AM
Hi All,

Well, FS is still my first love, so I'm trying to modify my deck accordingly with the meta I'm facing now (New Miracle, Delver, Sultai, Eldrazi, DnT and sometimes Enchantress).

For sure I need your suggestions here.

Main Deck:

3 Looter il-Kor
3 True-Name Nemesis
4 Sea Drake
2 Cloud of Faeries
3 Trinket Mage
3 Stratus Dancer
2 Sower of Temptation
2 Venser, Shaper Savant
1 Walking Ballista

4 Chrome Mox
1 Mox Diamond
4 Chalice of the Void
1 Basilisk Collar
3 Sword of Fire and Ice
2 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Pithing Needle

4 Force of Will

4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
9 Island
1 Seat of the Synod

- Looter/TNN because they can't be blocked
- Drakes/Cloud for the tricks we can do with our lands
- Trinket to search for UU solution (Mox/Seat) or improve our defenses (Collar, Ballista)
- Stratus because is Stratus (4x would be better)
- Sower and Venser to play with the other board (creatures/chalice in Eldrazi, Solitary Confinement in Enchantress, Rishadan Port/vial/batterskull in DnT, ...)

Statistics:
61 cards
61% blue cards
23 creatures // 6 equips
mana 30% + 4 chrome mox and 1 mox diamond
5 cards to draw

I would like to find a slot for Nimble, but seems difficult (actually we need at least 3x, in order to increase the possibility to have it in our hands at T1/T2, when Wasteland or fetchlands need to be managed).

Not sure I'm understanding the importance of Walking Ballist here. Can you please explain a bit more?
[Edit: uops ... with basilisk collar it should be a nightmare for the enemy]

Any suggestion for my meta?

thanks

Andrea

ps: @ serendib ciao, nice to see you again here

Eldariel
03-16-2018, 11:54 AM
Walking Ballista is mostly there for Trinket Mage to produce an extra threat when needed, while also doubling as removal and a good two-drop (something the deck often struggles to deploy turn 1 in hands without Chalice). I like Hangarbacks too but at least in most match-ups, pinging 1/1s (Delvers, Strixes, Elves, Moms, etc.) on a body you can pump is nice. It also gives you a manasink for when you flood and indeed, makes your lategame Trinket Mages more reliable. Often you just need two threats and Trinket + Ballista is a good combo. It's also not a bad ramp target if you run Cloud of Faeries. Turn 2 Cloud off Island+Sol into 2/2 Ballista is not terrible.

In your build, I'd definitely run 4 Trinkets. You have such a massive toolbox, I think you'd want to draw them at any point. I'm also a bit worried about running 2 one-drops in your Chalice setup. I find one fine, but two dead cards once you land your Chalice hurts a bit especially when both are also longterm tutor targets. I prefer Needle main over Basilisk Collar. Collar is a fine SB card particularly with Walking Ballista. But if I went with that plan, I'd go all the way up to 3-4 Ballistas (remember, they can take the slot of a 2-drop; it's our Mogg Fanatic with an upside). In builds with Cloud I also like some number of Glen Elendra Archmages; it's one of the best acceleration targets and the format actually has a number of decks against which an active GEA is almost game over (Show and Tell, Storm, Reanimator, etc.). Few combo decks have means of beating an on-the-board double counter they cannot interact with. It's also not a terrible equipment carrier due to Persist.

Eldariel
04-03-2018, 01:18 PM
So how about Warkite Marauder? It could be an alternative 2-drop and between Jitte and Walking Ballista, the effect seems brutal against everything but TNN. It's costed just right too; sadly an X/1 but can't have everything. Seems like it could be really good in the Looter/Stratus Dancer slot.

Parcher
04-03-2018, 01:47 PM
So how about Warkite Marauder? It could be an alternative 2-drop and between Jitte and Walking Ballista, the effect seems brutal against everything but TNN. It's costed just right too; sadly an X/1 but can't have everything. Seems like it could be really good in the Looter/Stratus Dancer slot.

I don't think it's interchangeable with Dancer, but it definitely could replace Looter. You trade the loot for a far more aggressive creature, that can actually become removal. And is far better with equipment. I'm more interested in swapping Misthollow for the new Djiin. Alix thinks the redundancy Griffin gives the deck overall isn't worth the size, but I disagree.

Eldariel
04-04-2018, 07:42 AM
I don't think it's interchangeable with Dancer, but it definitely could replace Looter. You trade the loot for a far more aggressive creature, that can actually become removal. And is far better with equipment. I'm more interested in swapping Misthollow for the new Djiin. Alix thinks the redundancy Griffin gives the deck overall isn't worth the size, but I disagree.

Yeah, as a pure beater Zahid seems awesome. 3U is a lot easier than 2UU, which all the other big 4-drop fliers thus far have been (I'm kinda tempted by Cloud of Faeries again to turbo this out turn 2, but that card is just so inefficient as a creature) and the deck is full of artifacts that don't care about being tapped (equipment, chalice, needle/spyglass/EE/Trinket targets; even Ballista only cares so much and worst case scenario has you play a Mox without imprint). I don't like Misthollow Griffin especially much except against white. While it's great vs. StP and obviously good with FoW and Mox to a degree, I prefer grinding through other means (drawing, many-for-1s like Hangarback and Trinket, virtual card advantage from Chalice, etc.). Of course, removing Looter would hurt the long game a fair bit as being able to discard superfluous lands and Moxen is quite awesome down the line.

R3ndr0c
04-04-2018, 08:34 AM
Looter is ireplaceable. It's one of the best cards in the deck. I generally haven't been a fan of dumb beaters, and 4 mana is a lot more than 3 in this deck.

Parcher
04-04-2018, 10:14 AM
Looter is ireplaceable. It's one of the best cards in the deck. I generally haven't been a fan of dumb beaters, and 4 mana is a lot more than 3 in this deck.

Well that's potentially another way to go. Running Looter and Warkite, and not Zahid. It smooths the mana to nothing. But now you have a deck full of creatures that all die to all removal. Cept TNN, of course. Drake is another possible cut. But he's really the Delver of the deck. The only creature that requires nothing else, to be a easily cast fast clock. And the Trinket/dude package cant get cut. Not only for all the versatility and redundancy it brings, Warkite now allows you to swing with those 2/2 Trinkets and Balllistas past their "Goyf" if you don't need it to get rid of a flyer or have equipment to act as removal. It really shouldn't be difficult to find the correct configuration once it's been tested a bit. I suspect it will as usual for this, and no other Stompy deck, end up a mashing of 2s and 3s of each.

EDIT: Another use for Warkite; Warping Wail. We tried it quite a bit when released, but it always seemed too narrow to main, and to weak to board. Now, in addition to the possible use of the secondary modes, and the always useful Deathrite and such removal early, it acts as hard removal if you have Warkite. Might remove the need for the dreaded Dismember.

Maybe something more like:

10 Snow-Covered Island
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
1 Seat of the Synod

4 Chrome Mox
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Pithing Needle

3 True Name Nemesis
2 Zahid, Djiin of the Lamp
3-4 Stratus Dancer
2 Walking Ballista
3-4 Warkite Marauder
4 Sea Drake
3 Trinket Mage
3 Looter il-Kor

4 Force of Will

Less fat, but a way better curve. Always a T2 play even without accel, but plenty to use the accel. All the pieces. Your fatties, Delver, counter, removal, search, and filter. As well as the Force and Chalice. You're still going to have bad hands/draws, especially with the specificity of some of the cards. But mana shouldn't be a problem at all. Even color, basically using Zahid to support TNN instead of filling up on both

R3ndr0c
04-05-2018, 06:34 AM
Test Warkite and let me know how it goes. What I like most about Warkite is it makes opposing flyers unable to block and it combos well with our equipments making any creature easy to kill,

Parcher
04-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Test Warkite and let me know how it goes. What I like most about Warkite is it makes opposing flyers unable to block and it combos well with our equipments making any creature easy to kill,

I have. He doesn't just stop fliers. Being able to nerf their ground pounders allows Trinket and Morph to swing as well. That said, I do believe he is the weakest individual creature in the deck. Since he requires either some form of removal, or another creature in play to become dangerous. At least Dancer threatens a counter by himself.

That might still be fine, since Zahid has overperformed so far. He's almost always easier to cast than TNN, regularly coming down T3. With T1 Chalice, Ballista, or JItte, into Land, Mox allowing a T2. And really, there are very few draws from any deck that can beat T1 Chalice, T2 Zahid. He is very weak to Daze, but since Delver cant beat him, you just play around it. At this point I'm on the above list with 3 Zahid, 3 Warkite, 4 Dancer. Obviously still in testing stages though. One of the reasons this deck was ever viable was it's not needing removal to win. So Warkite is more insurance than anything. But, just like Dancer, a T1-2 2-power flier that has potential for tremendous upside is definitely worth including. Funny now how the creatures are split down the middle between big, evasive, hard-to-kill beaters, and spells-as-creatures.

jasper
04-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Warkite Marauder and Warping Wail is such a sweet combo, and Jitte and Walking Ballista seems great with Marauder as well. Makes me want to try the deck. Walking Ballista is in a pretty good place right now in general and I think further copies could definitely by justified. Basilisk Collar strikes me as a little awkward with Chalice for limited upside in most matches, although the combo with Ballista is cute.

Spyglass over Pithing Needle seems better with Chalice, but I can see the benefits of being able to tutor for Needle.

Parcher
04-05-2018, 10:32 AM
Warkite Marauder and Warping Wail is such a sweet combo, and Jitte and Walking Ballista seems great with Marauder as well. Makes me want to try the deck. Walking Ballista is in a pretty good place right now in general and I think further copies could definitely by justified. Basilisk Collar strikes me as a little awkward with Chalice for limited upside in most matches, although the combo with Ballista is cute.

Spyglass over Pithing Needle seems better with Chalice, but I can see the benefits of being able to tutor for Needle.

Yeah, with the addition of Spyglass in the board, Needle seems not to be worth it. The need for it, combined with the ability to get and use it in G1 is just too small. That's an easy cut for a Wail. With the removal of Griffin, however, I would be loathe to cut another U card for more.

Eldariel
04-05-2018, 10:41 AM
Zahid seems positively awesome. Resilient to like 75% of the removal in the format in Fatal Push, Dismember, Lightning Bolt, Decay. All but the white ones, really; though Karakas is a bitch. Doubles the interest I have in Needle. It's also larger than all the commonly played fair creatures (Reality Smasher, Tombstalker, Gurmag Angler all at 5/5) save for buff Goyfs (Land,Instant,Sorc,Creature needs at least one non-typical card type to make it 5/6 and two for it to outgrow Zahid). And you can cast it off most 3 mana source comboes; 3U is again much less than 2UU. I can definitely see it being a big positive swing for the deck - it's been so long since they printed good big beaters that aren't UU. Those are whence the deck originally came - the simple, efficient combination of Sea Drake, Serendib Efreet, Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors.

I do still like the maindeck Needle. It's pretty big on the draw against D&T, it's a good answer to some of the pesky Planeswalkers around, it's really important against land-based decks and it has a lot of incidental utility (DRT, equipment, etc.). It enables interacting with things the deck otherwise can't interact with, though of course clashing with Chalice is something of an issue.

R3ndr0c
04-05-2018, 04:13 PM
I have been liking Warkite Marauder. I've been testing two maindeck b2b to the sideboard to have 3 coming out fo the SD again. I do like the combo with all the equipments and Walking Ballista. The ability to remove all abilities has proven useful as well. I targeted a revoker to unlock my ballista to kill another Revoker which unlocked my jitte which killed the 0/1 Revoker. Was pretty sweet.

Parcher
04-07-2018, 09:23 AM
I still am not sure that Needle is a need. Possibly because of Warkite. DnT is most definitely a matchup where he shines. And even as a one-of, drawing Needle is the nut low. That said, I'm slowly lowering the count of Warkite. Before Zahid, I probably would have a different opinion. But again, this deck rarely needs removal. And one of the most common of those cases is to race. With TNN blocking and Zahid on offense, even that is less common. I'm pretty sure he's a 2-of, maybe with a 3rd in the SB in lieu of a Sower type slot.

And for something a bit stranger; I've felt for some time that this deck needed another U source. Not a land, obviously. Doesn't speed us, dead draw later, etc. Diamond was my attempt at using Trinket to get either side of it. But unless you're manabase is under attack, that proved unnecessary. And slow, since you also need the other half in hand. One-shot mana doesn't really help. We aren't dropping game enders T1, and hoping they hold up. We want 3-4 mana every turn of the game, especially with all the activated abilities. So as stupid as it sounds, I've been running 1 Jeweled Amulet. Yeah, I know. But in the opener it ramps to 3 on T2 without a Chrome or Sol. It's a second U source, which it huge. And it's not like we need U every turn. You can even store that extra Sol mana on it. Obviously fetchable with Trinket, though that's again only likely if they are attacking mana, or if B2B is boarded. It's totally unspectacular, but may just be consistently what the deck wants through overall usability to warrant inclusion.

R3ndr0c
04-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Just run another Island.... I have 19 Islands and 4 Chrome Mox. It works just fine.

Parcher
04-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Just run another Island.... I have 19 Islands and 4 Chrome Mox. It works just fine.

I've been getting some games in with the new cards. It feels wrong, but I think its finally time to cut Drake.TNN and Zahid are so much better. And Drake actively interferes with casting them. And the weenies, Trinket, Warkite, Dancer, and Looter, are all good enough that I'm not sure a T1 dumb beater that still dies to everything is what the deck wants anymore. Not if its interfering with casting the untouchables. I'm just expanding the number of everything else, as well as another land, Minamo just for giggles.

Eldariel
04-09-2018, 01:13 AM
I had the same problem which lead to me inflating the landcount. I actually used to run Faerie Conclaves at one point as flood prevention while still getting what I wanted out of the blue mana but that has its own set of problems, especially coming into play tapped and not accelerating. I don't think the deck can really afford virtual card disadvantage in excess lands with its minimal filtering and drawing. And yes, I agree, now might just be the time to cut Drake; it's a great fast clock but that's all it is and ever since Delver was printed I've felt it's a bit underpowered in a vacuum. Still a great beater but it's hard to say if it's worth it compared to the options. Perhaps run 2 or so, to complement the legendary Zahid.

R3ndr0c
04-09-2018, 03:02 AM
I cut drake since I started playing this deck. It's just bad, and we have many better options.

Parcher
04-10-2018, 10:02 AM
10 Snow-Covered Island
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds

4 Chrome Mox
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Pithing Needle

4 True Name Nemesis
3 Zahid, Djiin of the Lamp
4 Stratus Dancer
2 Walking Ballista
3 Warkite Marauder
1 Sea Drake
3 Trinket Mage
3 Looter il-Kor

4 Force of Will

Sorry to spam lists, but this has gotten very close to the power/consistency level I've been looking for. Oboro was finally chosen as the additional mana source due to it's ability to pitch back with Looter later, and it's ability to cast TNN off a Sol. All of the creature numbers have been working out, though in certain metas, I would definitely swap the number of Warkite and Dancer. Or possibly a second Drake. I'm still not sure on a Hangar/Ballista split or not. They do such completely different things. I expect more experience with Warkite will show how many "removal spells" are needed to best utilize him. The way it's set up now, I have 8 beaters(Zahid,TNN,Drake), 12 disruption(FoW,Chalice,Dancer), 8 removal(SoFI,Jitte,Ballista), and 6 search(Trinket,Looter), with Warkite and Needle filling out the hedge slots. I'm pretty sure it's where the deck wants to be. All that's left is to grind specific matchups to solidify the numbers and work on a SB.

Eldariel
04-10-2018, 02:54 PM
That seems pretty good though I'd definitely love some utility/draw in the top end to enter the midgame/lategame at a bit more of an advantage but sadly the best options are all pretty hard to fit and at odds with the current configuration. Also the equipment count is kinda low to run any creatures that can't pull their own weight without it; Trinket + Ballista seems common enough to make Warkite "worthwhile" though. I definitely like Hangarback but if I ran Hangarback, I'd also want to run something like Jace to hide behind it, or more equipment to punch with. The existence of Warkite makes Ballista good enough that I'd want to draw it raw even without Trinket, so I do like multiples and thus the Hangarback would have to come from elsewhere.

I do like the manabase in theory but 26 mana sources is a fair bit (though it's close to what I ended up playing in the end as well) in a deck with this little draw and filtering. That's another reason I'm constantly thinking about Jace but again, Jace the draw engine is not an aggressive card as such (Jace the Bouncer and Fatesealer is but that doesn't address the issue) and it could always be a 4-drop beatstick instead. Thus, it does still beg the question. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of fitting a 1 Hangarback/2 Jace midgame package though; it's akin to what I was doing with Mulldrifters long ago. But it would require fetches, and whether that's a problem depends on the metagame (though Stifle's stock is at something of an all-time low).

Sideboard:
- I've always been an advocate of 3-4 B2Bs. It attacks an angle the deck doesn't otherwise hit and it's incredibly powerful in a number of match-ups, while we can function alright even without the Sol lands particularly in a slightly slower game (which B2B leads to). It notably makes life miserable for many of the midrange control decks and obviously it's a nuclear bomb against Lands. Call this the "anti-land slot".
- Anti-Show and Tell/Land slot may or may not be necessary. Venser is the best overall card here and I like 2 Vensers though I'm not opposed to a miser's maindeck Venser either (Flash creatures have a pretty high surprise factor in conjunction with equipment). Bouncing spells and permanents alike is just a really versatile effect and one of the best answers to Omniscience, Emrakul, Marit Lage or company that you can run. This slot is obviously also good against anything cheating big things into play like Reanimator, Sneak Stompy, Eureka, Hypergenesis, etc. Anything except Natural Order really, because Progenitus is Progenitus. This also doubles as an answer to Ensnaring Bridges, Solitary Confinements, Tabernacles, etc.
- Anti-graveyard slot is a must and at least 1 has to be an artifact like Tormod's Crypt due to Trinket Mage (Relic is also nice and doubles as utility against any decks with Tarmogoyf/Delve creatures/etc. but the dissynergy with Chalice makes me favour Crypt). I've played 2 Crypts but RB Reanimator kinda makes one want to run something like Faerie Macabre or Leyline to dodge Chancellor and to interact turn 0. However, that would take way more SB slots making it well-rounded. One big thing is, sometimes cards like Chalice or
- Anti-creature slot. You might want one and something like Sower or Control Magic can be pretty strong against things like Eldrazi, D&T, Maverick, Ravager Stompy, Deadguy, etc. and not horrible against grindy UGB decks (though Fatal Push and the banning of Top made Sower much worse). Submerge also goes here though its stock has gone drastically down with the shift from primarily green to black creatures. On the flipside, it's extra brutal against delve creatures.
- Anti-spell slot. Unlike in the days gone by, nowadays combo is varied and powerful enough that the MD plan is no longer 80/20 vs. most combo decks in the format. To that end, some creature counterspells (Venser is one but temporary) are good. I really like having some number of Glen Elendra Archmages at least in the side. 2 of them.
- Grind slots. The deck actually isn't bad in longer games and some match-ups (Miracles, control in general) tend to go fairly long. To that end, some grindy cards like JTMS, Hangarback, Griffin or such can serve the SB well.
- General utility. In some match-ups Chalices are pretty weak particularly on the draw (D&T, Goblins, Stompy mirrors, etc.) and things like Spyglass or Needle shine. I like Needle as it's searchable with Trinket but you can split the difference. EE is not horrid vs. Elves, EtW, etc. Ballista similarly. These are good in that they tend to be pretty broadly applicable where you clearly want to side out some part of your plan, and being Trinketable makes for extra value. If the SB has a lot of these, the 4th Trinket definitely needs to be there between the main and the side as the extra value is huge.

Overall, my approach to SBing FS has always been to have enough broad cards that act as silver bullets in various match-ups that I can always side out what I don't want and thus transform my maindeck into a more efficient variant. Add to that actual silver bullets like B2B where applicable, of course. I want to shift the main gameplan towards the deck I'm facing rather than relying on the SB cards solely to win (with B2B being the big exception that doesn't really complement the main plan but is just too strong not to run), since the main gameplan is pretty streamlined and the pieces are kinda interlocked so removing anything messes with the deck's ratios.

Parcher
04-10-2018, 04:26 PM
That seems pretty good though I'd definitely love some utility/draw in the top end to enter the midgame/lategame at a bit more of an advantage but sadly the best options are all pretty hard to fit and at odds with the current configuration. Also the equipment count is kinda low to run any creatures that can't pull their own weight without it; Trinket + Ballista seems common enough to make Warkite "worthwhile" though. I definitely like Hangarback but if I ran Hangarback, I'd also want to run something like Jace to hide behind it, or more equipment to punch with. The existence of Warkite makes Ballista good enough that I'd want to draw it raw even without Trinket, so I do like multiples and thus the Hangarback would have to come from elsewhere.

I do like the manabase in theory but 26 mana sources is a fair bit (though it's close to what I ended up playing in the end as well) in a deck with this little draw and filtering. That's another reason I'm constantly thinking about Jace but again, Jace the draw engine is not an aggressive card as such (Jace the Bouncer and Fatesealer is but that doesn't address the issue) and it could always be a 4-drop beatstick instead. Thus, it does still beg the question. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of fitting a 1 Hangarback/2 Jace midgame package though; it's akin to what I was doing with Mulldrifters long ago. But it would require fetches, and whether that's a problem depends on the metagame (though Stifle's stock is at something of an all-time low).

Sideboard:
- I've always been an advocate of 3-4 B2Bs. It attacks an angle the deck doesn't otherwise hit and it's incredibly powerful in a number of match-ups, while we can function alright even without the Sol lands particularly in a slightly slower game (which B2B leads to). It notably makes life miserable for many of the midrange control decks and obviously it's a nuclear bomb against Lands. Call this the "anti-land slot".
- Anti-Show and Tell/Land slot may or may not be necessary. Venser is the best overall card here and I like 2 Vensers though I'm not opposed to a miser's maindeck Venser either (Flash creatures have a pretty high surprise factor in conjunction with equipment). Bouncing spells and permanents alike is just a really versatile effect and one of the best answers to Omniscience, Emrakul, Marit Lage or company that you can run. This slot is obviously also good against anything cheating big things into play like Reanimator, Sneak Stompy, Eureka, Hypergenesis, etc. Anything except Natural Order really, because Progenitus is Progenitus. This also doubles as an answer to Ensnaring Bridges, Solitary Confinements, Tabernacles, etc.
- Anti-graveyard slot is a must and at least 1 has to be an artifact like Tormod's Crypt due to Trinket Mage (Relic is also nice and doubles as utility against any decks with Tarmogoyf/Delve creatures/etc. but the dissynergy with Chalice makes me favour Crypt). I've played 2 Crypts but RB Reanimator kinda makes one want to run something like Faerie Macabre or Leyline to dodge Chancellor and to interact turn 0. However, that would take way more SB slots making it well-rounded. One big thing is, sometimes cards like Chalice or
- Anti-creature slot. You might want one and something like Sower or Control Magic can be pretty strong against things like Eldrazi, D&T, Maverick, Ravager Stompy, Deadguy, etc. and not horrible against grindy UGB decks (though Fatal Push and the banning of Top made Sower much worse). Submerge also goes here though its stock has gone drastically down with the shift from primarily green to black creatures. On the flipside, it's extra brutal against delve creatures.
- Anti-spell slot. Unlike in the days gone by, nowadays combo is varied and powerful enough that the MD plan is no longer 80/20 vs. most combo decks in the format. To that end, some creature counterspells (Venser is one but temporary) are good. I really like having some number of Glen Elendra Archmages at least in the side. 2 of them.
- Grind slots. The deck actually isn't bad in longer games and some match-ups (Miracles, control in general) tend to go fairly long. To that end, some grindy cards like JTMS, Hangarback, Griffin or such can serve the SB well.
- General utility. In some match-ups Chalices are pretty weak particularly on the draw (D&T, Goblins, Stompy mirrors, etc.) and things like Spyglass or Needle shine. I like Needle as it's searchable with Trinket but you can split the difference. EE is not horrid vs. Elves, EtW, etc. Ballista similarly. These are good in that they tend to be pretty broadly applicable where you clearly want to side out some part of your plan, and being Trinketable makes for extra value. If the SB has a lot of these, the 4th Trinket definitely needs to be there between the main and the side as the extra value is huge.

Overall, my approach to SBing FS has always been to have enough broad cards that act as silver bullets in various match-ups that I can always side out what I don't want and thus transform my maindeck into a more efficient variant. Add to that actual silver bullets like B2B where applicable, of course. I want to shift the main gameplan towards the deck I'm facing rather than relying on the SB cards solely to win (with B2B being the big exception that doesn't really complement the main plan but is just too strong not to run), since the main gameplan is pretty streamlined and the pieces are kinda interlocked so removing anything messes with the deck's ratios.

Sorry to cause such work for you, but thanks for the reply. I am very familiar with the deck, and its SB options. I just need to build one that fits with the new version. To condense your two main points though, I am strongly considering 2 Jace in the board. I don't believe it fits with the main plan, but is extremely powerful in the right matchup. 3-4 B2B is a definite, and very likely 1 Hangar to go with them for an anti-Control package. Spyglass is also highly likely, though depending on how the rest of the slots fall out, I might go with Cursed Totem. As far as anti-creature, I need to see how the deck performs as-is. Especially with Warkite. He also might take some of the pressure off the Show matchup. My hope is the natural course of the deck attacking and equipping will give the opportunity for Warkite to remove anything stopping us from racing. I have 24 mana sources, and I'm totally fine with that. Looter is excellent at dealing with flood. And far better at that then with screw. This deck is better than other Stompy decks at closing, but it cannot have mana problems early with the lack of redundant lock pieces giving us free turns like the less aggressive versions.

Eldariel
04-23-2018, 02:01 AM
Aye, I've arrived at the same conclusion; screw is death while with flood you can at least still play. This is why I always find myself adding more and more mana sources and draw. An interesting option for the last land could also be the new Memorial to Genius, which CiPTs but offers extra flood protection. Probably CiPT is too big of a drawback and Faerie Conclave would likely be a better anti-flood card but it's good to have all the options mapped out and when flooded, "draw 2" is a fine use for a land. If it only were a painland instead of a CiPT land...

Another Dominaria-card that's not absolutely terrible by the looks of it would be The Antiquities War allowing for tutoring up some equipment/Chalices/mana and then swinging with a bunch of 5/5s, but it's a tad slow and our artifact count is probably too low for it. Some kind of blue affinity build is probably better suited for it though waiting for 3 turns to swing seems painful (it's basically Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas with an easier manacost). Other than that, it's really just Zahid. But what a huge improvement that is; finally updating our creature base to the modern era.

And yeah, compared to the other Stompy-decks we're overall far less all-in on the lock plan. We do have Chalices to buy time but FS has an actual midgame since it doesn't sacrifice much for its explosive potential. Thus the gameplan has to also be placed in a more extended scope since games are more rarely over on the first turn (Chalice at 1 still wins more on its own than anything else in the deck but it's not the sole reason to play FS at least).

Though with Ensnaring Bridge now being picked up by Dragon Stompy and placing so well I'm more and more inclined to think about some artifact solution like Venser in the maindeck.

frustanani
04-29-2018, 03:19 PM
I've tested the new lists and new cards quite a bit now.

I personally do not like Looter because when I need to chose what to play, if I want a creature he is the weekest card to chose, if I want to draw or filter, he is at least 1 turn slow. That card slow us down 1 turn in everything he does. Well, turn 1 looter is quite good, with mox, but Chalice, Trinket, Drake etc are good play on turn 1 with a mox.

So I went back to my block
3 Cloud of Faeries (now even new tricks with Ballista and Djiin)
2 Thirst for knowledge
I prefere them to 4 looters a lot

Dancer is sweet and fun
Djinn is very good
Nemesis is god
Ballista sometimes very good, sometimes very bad. maximum 2X.
Warkite Marauder made me quite happy the first game I played with him ... but game after game I was lowing down their number. At the moment I have zero.

As for the manabase, I'm using 24 cards, 14 mana ramp, 18 lands

9 Island
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Mox Diamond
1 Lotus Petal
4 Chrome Mox

4 Force of Will
2 Thirst for Knowledge

4 Chalice of The Void
1 Pithing Needle

2 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Sword of Fire and Ice

2 Walking Ballista
4 Trinket Mage
3 Cloud of Faeries
4 Sea Drake
3 True-Name Nemesis
3 Stratus Dancer

Side
2 Misdirection
1 Jace
1 Needle
2 Tormod
2 Revoker
3 Venser
1 Rushing River
3 back to basics

I would like a 5th equipment in the main (Jitte number 3)

Drake is still so good ... especially with 6 "mox" and better than Warkite Marauder who does notting by his own. In fact when I tested Warkite Marauder I had 5 (or sometimes even 6 ) equipments.

This list can play chalice @2 without drawbacks (no Looter and marauder) a part from the jittes

Has anyone ever tried Search for Azcanta ?

Parcher
04-29-2018, 04:18 PM
I've tested the new lists and new cards quite a bit now.

I personally do not like Looter because when I need to chose what to play, if I want a creature he is the weekest card to chose, if I want to draw or filter, he is at least 1 turn slow. That card slow us down 1 turn in everything he does. Well, turn 1 looter is quite good, with mox, but Chalice, Trinket, Drake etc are good play on turn 1 with a mox.

So I went back to my block
3 Cloud of Faeries (now even new tricks with Ballista and Djiin)
2 Thirst for knowledge
I prefere them to 4 looters a lot

Dancer is sweet and fun
Djinn is very good
Nemesis is god
Ballista sometimes very good, sometimes very bad. maximum 2X.
Warkite Marauder made me quite happy the first game I played with him ... but game after game I was lowing down their number. At the moment I have zero.

As for the manabase, I'm using 24 cards, 14 mana ramp, 18 lands

9 Island
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Mox Diamond
1 Lotus Petal
4 Chrome Mox

4 Force of Will
2 Thirst for Knowledge

4 Chalice of The Void
1 Pithing Needle

2 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Sword of Fire and Ice

2 Walking Ballista
4 Trinket Mage
3 Cloud of Faeries
4 Sea Drake
3 True-Name Nemesis
3 Stratus Dancer

Side
2 Misdirection
1 Jace
1 Needle
2 Tormod
2 Revoker
3 Venser
1 Rushing River
3 back to basics

I would like a 5th equipment in the main (Jitte number 3)

Drake is still so good ... especially with 6 "mox" and better than Warkite Marauder who does notting by his own. In fact when I tested Warkite Marauder I had 5 (or sometimes even 6 ) equipments.

This list can play chalice @2 without drawbacks (no Looter and marauder) a part from the jittes

Has anyone ever tried Search for Azcanta ?

I've never tried Search.

I agree about Warkite. He's probably a 1 or 2 main, with the same in the SB for appropriate decks.

I don't see how you could possibly think Cloud is a stronger 2 drop than Looter. The deck needs draw. The deck really needs filtering. It doesn't need speed or tricks. If you want more powerful openings, that lose to Force and removal, and to lose to the lamentably regular string of dead draws this deck has then Cloud is the call. And as powerful as it is, the deck cant afford the tempo drain of TFK. Otherwise it would run Counterspell over Dancer and the like.

pettdan
04-30-2018, 05:10 AM
I searched the thread and only found 3 mentions of "copter", if you need card filtering you could consider Smuggler's Copter. Easily comes down turn 1 and works great with Ballista and Hangarback Walker, all playable off a single sol land and attacking + looting on t2. Also you have more flyers so the flying attack can be good. Copter would also be nice with Bitterblossom and/or Spellstutter sprite, lots of options.

Parcher
04-30-2018, 08:37 AM
I searched the thread and only found 3 mentions of "copter", if you need card filtering you could consider Smuggler's Copter. Easily comes down turn 1 and works great with Ballista and Hangarback Walker, all playable off a single sol land and attacking + looting on t2. Also you have more flyers so the flying attack can be good. Copter would also be nice with Bitterblossom and/or Spellstutter sprite, lots of options.

The reason that Copter isn't run is that it directly competes for slots with Equipment. Both in function, that they require a creature to do anything, and as an Artifact. Which is far more relevant. The deck absolutely cannot cut more U cards. Adding to that; Equipment acts as the deck's removal, which Copter can't do. And that you can get the same effect with a U card. Copter doesn't really have a place.

pettdan
05-01-2018, 07:53 AM
I see, thanks for the answer!

Xod
05-01-2018, 04:11 PM
Parcher, any idea of the sideboard plan in full? Maybe I'm going to take this bad boy to Birmingham :cool:

Parcher
05-01-2018, 05:21 PM
Parcher, any idea of the sideboard plan in full? Maybe I'm going to take this bad boy to Birmingham :cool:

Not yet, but I will soon. As with Zahid now legal, I'm going to play it somewhere.

frustanani
05-02-2018, 12:51 AM
I'm testing the deck quite a lot

I see Parcher's need to play Looter (I put him back) but I don't feel the reason why he is so convinced against Cloud of Faeries and Thirst for knowledge.

At the moment my updated list is

4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
8 Island
1 Faerie Conclave
1 Saprazzan Skerry
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Oroboro, Place in the Clouds (20 lands, testing some special lands, 18 entering not tapped as standard)

4 Chrome Mox
1 Mox Diamond (25 mana sources total in cockatrice)

4 Chalice of The Void
1 Pithing Needle
1 Walking Ballista

4 Force of Will
2 Thirst for Knowledge

3 Trinket Mage
3 Looter Il-Kor
3 Sea Drake
3 Stratus Dancer
4 True-Name Nemesis (19 creatures + 1 Ballista + 1 Faerie Conclave)

2 Sword of Fire and Ice
2 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard
2 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Pithing Needle
3 Misdirection
3 Back to Basics
3 Venser, Shaper Savant
1 Rushing River
2 Tormod's Crypt

25 mana source playing on cockatrice, 24 when playing with real cards (-1 land or Mox Diamond + 1 Trinket Mage)

I find myself so often siding in 2 Revokers + 1 Needle (the second one), so to have 4 "needle effects" + 3/4 Trinket Mage.
Venser, I use him g2 / g3 so often too. Rushing River probabely could be cut but he is so useful against those decks you want to play with the race.
Walking Ballista always make me think: his problem is that when he is useful, he is very useful, and you need 2 copies of him. Otherwise he is just a card you don't want and he is not even blue.
I will probabely cut the 3rd Zahid, Djiin of the Lamp for the 4th Drake if I continue facing so many Karakas.
I have just tested 2 Vendilion (-1 Dancer + 1 Nemesis) but I think the Clique in not for this deck, at least for the main. They could be 2X in the side with 2 Misdirection.
I might test Thopter Spy Network 2X in the sideboard (-1 Back to Basics - 1 Rushing River)

Xod
05-04-2018, 04:00 AM
This will be my build for Birmingham:

4 True Name Nemesis
3 Zahid, Djinn of the lamp
4 Stratus Dancer
2 Walking Balista
2 Warkite Marauder
2 Sea Drake
3 Looter il-Kor
3 Trinket Mage

4 Chalice of the Void
4 Chrome Mox
2 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Pithing Needle

4 Force of Will

4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
10 Snow-covered Island
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Oboro, palace in the sky

SB
4 Back to Basics
1 Glen Elendra Archmage
1 Sower of Temptation
2 Venser, Shaper Servant
2 Cursed Totem??
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 JTMS
1 Hangarback walker

Hopefully will test it tonight.

Sideboard definitly not set. Probably 1 B2B will be cut. and some other choices I'm not sure about.

Reasoning:
B2B: as mentioned before, this can be backbreaking against certain decks, I guess it also works against Grixis decks, Czech pile for sure, Lands, for Depths I think it's to slow but CAN slow them down, but not an auto include. Also good against DnT?? Stopping the ports, karakas only once? Do you board this in against SnT?
Glen Elandra Archmage: Maybe a second one, obviously good against spell based decks, Miracles, SnT, Storm (although against storm, maybe a thad to slow? it's as 'fast' as Stratus dancer by mana on a single turn, Dancer is 'faster' over 2 turns)
Sower of Temptation: good against the creature decks AND certain combo decks, stealing large creatures, I'm thinking Angler (don't we have enough against Grixis?) Eldrazi stuff, even DnT?, but can take over a spaghetti monster, Marit Lage, ...
Venser, Shaper Servant: I think this is our answer all, that might need 3 copies in the side. As mentioned before, the uses for him are almost for every treat that troubles us. My main concern, what matchups DON'T we side him in?
Cursed Totem: as mentioned by Parcher, definitly not sure about this slot, maybe a one off. But stops Elves straight in their tracks, might be a very decent option against grisselbrand based decks (no more card draws), but don't we have enough against those decks? Stops Alurens durdling and kill condition. I think the main reason is Elves. (do we really board this against DRS or other dork based decks?)
Tormod's Crypt: We need some gravehate, 4 FoW's ain't and 4 CotV might not be enough against reanimator/dredge decks. Is also a decent answer against Loam strategies. and can be fetched and played in the same turn with Trinket Mage.
JTMS: against control decks, mostly think Miracles and Czech, anytime a game should be going long.
Hangarback Walker: Can be searched with trinket mage, also against control decks, does it work against Miracles? Because they have Terminus and STP (ok, CotV), don't think it's the best option against them, but against DnT (extra target to remove), all none White based control decks?

My main concerns:
Maybe a couple extra needle effects, against depths, and other shenanigan decks. (might replace the Cursed totem) but what is the best?
Needle (nonbo with CotV)
Revoker (can target mana abilities but easier to remove)
Spyglass (needle that gets around CotV and gives the correct info, but not searchable)

Is Trophy Mage not a good creature in the side in matchups where you want to search you swords?
Does Nimble Obstructionist have a place (I saw a lot of PRO's and CON's)
Misdirection, love the card, but against what decks are you siding this in? Also against storm??
Clique, also love the card, but that double blue... would be a extra choice against storm.

EDIT: almost forgot, no love for Swords of Light and Shadow? We lose a lot of life and cards due to Ancient Tomb and FoW, this might keep us in the longer games and recurring a creature.

Parcher
05-04-2018, 07:59 AM
My main will be within 2-3 cards of what you list. Still working a bit with mana sources and Drake vs Warkite.

B2B: as mentioned before, this can be backbreaking against certain decks, I guess it also works against Grixis decks, Czech pile for sure, Lands, for Depths I think it's to slow but CAN slow them down, but not an auto include. Also good against DnT?? Stopping the ports, karakas only once? Do you board this in against SnT?

I can't find room for 4, but it is powerful enough to warrant it. You don't bring it against Grixis. Too awful a tempo play, and they can play around it to a degree. Nor vs DnT or Show.

Sower of Temptation: good against the creature decks AND certain combo decks, stealing large creatures, I'm thinking Angler (don't we have enough against Grixis?) Eldrazi stuff, even DnT?, but can take over a spaghetti monster, Marit Lage, ...

Grixis has Bolt. Don't play Sower vs. Bolt.

Venser, Shaper Servant: I think this is our answer all, that might need 3 copies in the side. As mentioned before, the uses for him are almost for every treat that troubles us. My main concern, what matchups DON'T we side him in?

Venser is a stop-gap, not an answer. Keep in mind that you will never get full value with Venser in this deck, since no one will miss you holding open 4 mana. We don't really do that.

Cursed Totem: as mentioned by Parcher, definitly not sure about this slot, maybe a one off. But stops Elves straight in their tracks, might be a very decent option against grisselbrand based decks (no more card draws), but don't we have enough against those decks? Stops Alurens durdling and kill condition. I think the main reason is Elves. (do we really board this against DRS or other dork based decks?)

Where Totem really shines is vs DnT and Maverick. But, I think that Spyglass is a better overall use of this slot.

Hangarback Walker: Can be searched with trinket mage, also against control decks, does it work against Miracles? Because they have Terminus and STP (ok, CotV), don't think it's the best option against them, but against DnT (extra target to remove), all none White based control decks?

This is my 16th card right now. Don't know for sure either way.

Eldariel
05-05-2018, 11:18 AM
I like the miser's 1-of Venser main. It's not a card I actively want all that often but it has a lot of uses and it's never dead. It also answers problems and wins games no other card in the deck does; it's the only silver bullet we have against Omnitell, it's our only answer to Ensnaring Bridge (and various little played enchantments that stop us from winning through the combat step), it clowns Marit Lage, it's a fairly solid tempo play against any Delve creatures and obviously it's very powerful against Emrakul, Griseldad, etc. (so any decks cheating stuff into play, really) It can also bounce a Sneak Attack on the table for us to counter it, or indeed our own Chalice in the event that we need to reset it or play a Needle through it or whatever. The bounce effect is often better than a destroy effect would be against the likes of Lage, Griseldad and company (though annoyingly Griseldad still gets to draw a storm).

Overall, it's not especially useful against the fair decks though against some of the trickier decks like D&T and Maverick it can get some good mileage (the more GoodStuff the deck, the less they care about one permanent being bounced), but it's a godsent against most of the unfair decks (Storm not withstanding, but permanent-based combo has been far more popular as of late). Basically, it's like Rushing River but also a flash beater that carries equipment and can engineer very one-sided boardstates. I wouldn't want multiples; perhaps main 1, board 1 but that's mostly to hedge against Omnitell and more generally the Show and Tell and Dark Depths-decks. If you don't expect these decks to be a big metagame player, it's probably not very relevant though again I'm a bit worried going up against our mono-red cousins and the new Planeswalkers + Bridge variants. Of course we do have Force of Will, but being cold to a resolved Bridge does kinda suck if you expect to face a significant number of them. Having the miser's out means you can play the game out and try and engineer a boardstate where you can bounce and win or bounce and counter(preventing additional Bridges from landing through Stratus Dancer, GEA and FoW of course).

Xod
05-06-2018, 05:28 AM
Stratus dancer can only counter instants and sorcery's. So doesn't help against bridge. I follow the logic of 1 main, although we don't have any means to search him. Can you share you list and Sideboard?

Played Friday and got a 2-2 result, but overall satisfied.
Won 2-1 against goblins, but was an extremely tight game.
Lost 0-2 against DnT, my own fault? Or just variance. Kept my hand (because I know he was on DnT, but was a mistake) with Jitte, SoFaI, Ballista, 2 ancient tombs, fow, chrome Mox and stratus dancer. Forced his Aether Vial, mistake number 1.since now I lose a creature AND a blue card to put under Mox. Played Jitte and the turn after I played a Ballista for 2 that got sword Ed, drew nothing but Sol lands and moxes afterwards (and one island) and I did draw another creature, TNN, with one blue mana that was constantly getting ported. The second game was more interesting, but when I almost had him, I drew nothing but lands. Cursed totem was fun (played him once in the side, and added 2 spyglass)
Lost 0-2 against a Uw standstill control deck, game 1 I got beat down by factories. Game 2 I thought I had control with a SoFaI equipped, 2 creatures out CotV on 1,... And then he played Disc, and I Drew force the turn after... Disc blew up 7 things, good value.
Won 2-0 against TES, mulled a hand because I know I was playing TES but in hindsight, was also a good decision against other decks. Game 2 was funny, I had to mull to 6, had a hand with a turn 1 Chalice, had a stratus dancer, Glen Elandra, blue card and I scried... Force. He couldn't beat that hand.

Lessons of that night: we are playing Stompy, variance will screw you over some times, try to mull below average hands.
Don't Force the same things as a normal blue deck will, you sometimes need that creature and force as a blue source for Mox. (or just saving force for the removal...)
I want more needle effects, it was necessary in 3 of my matchups. Spyglass is nice, but needle can be searched. Had that issue twice in post board games where the first needle was destroyed and I didn't had a second one to search but a mage in my hand. So one spyglass will be turned to a needle.

Eldariel
05-06-2018, 08:42 AM
I don't have a proper list right now, sadly. I haven't quite gotten the numbers to align the way I'd want them to. I do like going up to 2 Needles post-board, especially as particularly on the draw, you side out a number of Chalices in many of those MUs (I r don't think it's worth keeping in vs. D&T for instance). And yes, FoW is a very different card in this deck compared to blue decks heavier on permission. Here you counter the key spell, very rarely the enablers. It's also a great tempo play but post-board you tend to save it for the cards that count.

Eldariel
05-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Ever since seeing The Antiquites War, I've been mulling over a bit of a crazy thought: trying a hybrid of Steel Stompy and FS. The principal idea is pretty simple: we have lots of cards that care about counters and plenty of artifacts that tend to go dead down the line. We also already play 3-4 Trinket Mages and 2 Hangarback/Walking Ballista. All we really need is to add few more HBW/WB and the 4 Ravagers alongside perchance some Steel Overseers and we have most of the same power (not quite all of it; our Ravagers aren't as good but the Ravager + Hangarback/Ballista is just as potent here) but we can also run stuff like Zahid, Umezawa's Jitte, Force of Will, Back to Basics and company. It does raise some interesting tensions that would have to be solved for the deck to have acceptable reliability though:
- Chrome Mox can't imprint artifacts so it gets significantly worse. Probably at least some number needs replacing.
- Force of Will naturally suffers of the lower blue card count but I believe we can keep the ~20ish blue cards for reasonably reliable FoW access (3 Zahid, 4 Trinket, 4 FoW, 2 Antiquites War, some number of Stratus/GEAs/Vensers/etc.) while still having enough artifacts to make Ravager and company good.
- Need enough artifacts for Ravager and Antiquites War (should we choose to run it). For 5 cards to contain an artifact at least 90% of the time (my threshold for reasonable reliability), we'd need 23 artifacts. We already run 4 Chalices, 4 Moxen, 1 Seat, 4 equipment, 1 Needle, 2 Ballista/Hangarback for 16 artifacts. The addition of 4 Ravagers, some Ballistas/Hangarbacks would naturally push us over the threshold though of course we could also add more Seat of the Synods too (at the cost of becoming more vulnerable to Wasteland and B2B getting slightly worse).
- Blue artifact creatures?? Master of Etherium, Esperzoa, none of them look particularly appealing for what we're doing.

Benefits:
- Mox Opal becomes an option instead/in addition to some Chromes/Petals. 0-drop artifacts are pretty key to enable Ravager anyways.
- Jitte gets significantly stronger with Ravager being able to counterdump it for either massive damage, or removal, or even lifegain.
- Some fringe options with Ravager to set a particular Chalice without having to pay for it.
- Our 2-drops get stronger and more synergistic. Overall, more power through synergy, but some cards that aren't amazing on their own.

The numbers would have to look like
24 mana sources (20 lands, 4 Mox/Petal/etc.)
16 artifacts between creatures and spells (3 Seat of the Synods would push us to 23 artifacts though blue/artifacts would also work)
20 blue cards

It's possible to hybridize blue cards and artifacts to get a larger number of each or go down to 18-17 blue cards; 16 would be the absolute minimum and at that point I wouldn't even consider running Chrome Mox anymore.

Perhaps it doesn't belong in this thread and I should go to New and Developmental to play around with this but ultimately I feel like the 2-drops we'd get this way are stronger than most of what we currently play, at least accounting for the combo potential (but lacking additional ways to add counters is of course a bit of a downer). Compared to Steel Stompy we have the obvious advantage of having blue cards including FoW, B2B, Zahid, Trinket Mage and company but the equally obvious disadvantage of having a less streamlined plan, fewer artifacts to feed the artifact synergies, and we run the risk of losing to color screw. Of course, we're also less reliant on artifacts and thus cards like Null Rod, Energy Flux and even Ancient Grudge are far less bothersome for us. The curve is higher but that's partially offset by running more mana and Trinket Mages being able to fetch mana in case of emergency. On the other hand it's also an advantage in enabling us to better use Chalice for 2 and having more to do while flooding.

I don't know if this stew will amount to anything but the pieces feel like they're there if the ratios and the cards tying it all together are set right.

frustanani
05-08-2018, 12:25 AM
Ever since seeing The Antiquites War, I've been mulling over a bit of a crazy thought: trying a hybrid of Steel Stompy and FS. The principal idea is pretty simple: we have lots of cards that care about counters and plenty of artifacts that tend to go dead down the line. We also already play 3-4 Trinket Mages and 2 Hangarback/Walking Ballista. All we really need is to add few more HBW/WB and the 4 Ravagers alongside perchance some Steel Overseers and we have most of the same power (not quite all of it; our Ravagers aren't as good but the Ravager + Hangarback/Ballista is just as potent here) but we can also run stuff like Zahid, Umezawa's Jitte, Force of Will, Back to Basics and company. It does raise some interesting tensions that would have to be solved for the deck to have acceptable reliability though:
- Chrome Mox can't imprint artifacts so it gets significantly worse. Probably at least some number needs replacing.
- Force of Will naturally suffers of the lower blue card count but I believe we can keep the ~20ish blue cards for reasonably reliable FoW access (3 Zahid, 4 Trinket, 4 FoW, 2 Antiquites War, some number of Stratus/GEAs/Vensers/etc.) while still having enough artifacts to make Ravager and company good.
- Need enough artifacts for Ravager and Antiquites War (should we choose to run it). For 5 cards to contain an artifact at least 90% of the time (my threshold for reasonable reliability), we'd need 23 artifacts. We already run 4 Chalices, 4 Moxen, 1 Seat, 4 equipment, 1 Needle, 2 Ballista/Hangarback for 16 artifacts. The addition of 4 Ravagers, some Ballistas/Hangarbacks would naturally push us over the threshold though of course we could also add more Seat of the Synods too (at the cost of becoming more vulnerable to Wasteland and B2B getting slightly worse).
- Blue artifact creatures?? Master of Etherium, Esperzoa, none of them look particularly appealing for what we're doing.

Benefits:
- Mox Opal becomes an option instead/in addition to some Chromes/Petals. 0-drop artifacts are pretty key to enable Ravager anyways.
- Jitte gets significantly stronger with Ravager being able to counterdump it for either massive damage, or removal, or even lifegain.
- Some fringe options with Ravager to set a particular Chalice without having to pay for it.
- Our 2-drops get stronger and more synergistic. Overall, more power through synergy, but some cards that aren't amazing on their own.

16 artifacts between creatures and spells (3 Seat of the Synods would push us to 23 artifacts though blue/artifacts would also work)
20 blue cards

It's possible to hybridize blue cards and artifacts to get a larger number of each or go down to 18-17 blue cards; 16 would be the absolute minimum and at that point I wouldn't even consider running Chrome Mox anymore.

Perhaps it doesn't belong in this thread and I should go to New and Developmental to play around with this but ultimately I feel like the 2-drops we'd get this way are stronger than most of what we currently play, at least accounting for the combo potential (but lacking additional ways to add counters is of course a bit of a downer). Compared to Steel Stompy we have the obvious advantage of having blue cards including FoW, B2B, Zahid, Trinket Mage and company but the equally obvious disadvantage of having a less streamlined plan, fewer artifacts to feed the artifact synergies, and we run the risk of losing to color screw. Of course, we're also less reliant on artifacts and thus cards like Null Rod, Energy Flux and even Ancient Grudge are far less bothersome for us. The curve is higher but that's partially offset by running more mana and Trinket Mages being able to fetch mana in case of emergency. On the other hand it's also an advantage in enabling us to better use Chalice for 2 and having more to do while flooding.

I don't know if this stew will amount to anything but the pieces feel like they're there if the ratios and the cards tying it all together are set right.

Nice plan.
I am actually trying to build a hybrid build too... But between faerie stompy and painter because I am trying to build starting from the good cards only
4 fow
4 chalice
1 pithing needle
4 trinket mage
1 walking ballista
4 true-name
2/3 zahid djinn

The idea is the following:

3 ancient tomb
3 city of traitors
3 saprazzan skerry
1 seat of the synod
10 sland
4 chrome mox

4 chalice of the void
4 force of will
4 thirst for knowledge
2 tezzeret the seeker
3 whir of invention
4 true-name nemesis
3 zahid, djinn of the lamp
4 painter servant
4 trinket mage
3 grindstone
1 pithing needle
0 engineered explosives
1 walking ballista
0 trasmute artifact

Is still 61 cards.
Need to cut something.
What do you think ?

I am trying saprazzan skerry even in normal faerie stompy chalice-aggro style. It is quite good with sea drake and nemesis as 23th and 24th mana sources.
Bytheway drake is so better than marauder.

Xod
05-09-2018, 05:13 AM
Cool blue painter list.

I'm still on the fence about the orginal FS list (I posted mine earlier). I'm questioning the following:

2 Sea Drake
2 Warkite Marauder

or

4 Sea Drake (still need to find 2 in Birmingham)

or

2 Sea Drake
2 Serendib Efreet

My current prefence goes to option 2, 4 drakes, but if I don't find them, maybe replace the by 2 efreet. Still think this is an excellent creature, advantages over drake are, doesn't die to a lone bolt, can block delver, no loss on curve (if played with 2 or more lands). Downsides ofcourse, pinging yourself, you are doing that alone with your tombs and forces. and less attack.

But the warkite marauders will provide awesome shenanigans when accompanied by equipment or a ballista. Plus they can't be blocked by a single flier, helps Mage to get through, disable hatebears after attack (Thalia 2.0 and such) would love them maindeck against SnT, but might be too fancy.

Can you guys help me get convinced for the marauders or just go for the straight beatdown plan.

frustanani
05-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Cool blue painter list.

I'm still on the fence about the orginal FS list (I posted mine earlier). I'm questioning the following:

2 Sea Drake
2 Warkite Marauder

or

4 Sea Drake (still need to find 2 in Birmingham)

or

2 Sea Drake
2 Serendib Efreet

My current prefence goes to option 2, 4 drakes, but if I don't find them, maybe replace the by 2 efreet. Still think this is an excellent creature, advantages over drake are, doesn't die to a lone bolt, can block delver, no loss on curve (if played with 2 or more lands). Downsides ofcourse, pinging yourself, you are doing that alone with your tombs and forces. and less attack.

But the warkite marauders will provide awesome shenanigans when accompanied by equipment or a ballista. Plus they can't be blocked by a single flier, helps Mage to get through, disable hatebears after attack (Thalia 2.0 and such) would love them maindeck against SnT, but might be too fancy.

Can you guys help me get convinced for the marauders or just go for the straight beatdown plan.

I would go with 4 drakes
Marauder alone does kind of notting if not equipped or without a ballista. To my test he is good when having 8 cards between ballista, jitte or sword.
If you don't have drakes yet, than efreet which has also a more "friendly" casting cost: as less cc2 you have, they more relaxed you are in playing chalice @2, which is even stronger than chalice @1 vs some decks.

Or... 2 thirst for knowledge if your creatures' number is enought.

Xod
05-09-2018, 10:19 AM
I follow your reasoning, and I was thinking in the same lines.
But we don't have THAT much cmc2 in our deck. 3 Looters, (ballista can dodge it), Jitte and that's it. I'm not counting the stratus dancer because they will dodge it 95% of the time when you will cast them for their morph cost. (the 5% is when you absolutely need a flyer asap and hardcast him)

frustanani
05-14-2018, 04:14 AM

Benefits:

20 blue cards

I'm trying too, but not Ballistas, Ravager, Hangarback
I'm trying to base it around those cards and then find out a good manabase and draw engine

https://magiccards.info/scans/en/dom/1.jpg + https://magiccards.info/scans/en/dom/42.jpg + https://magiccards.info/scans/en/a25/222.jpg + https://magiccards.info/scans/en/ai/42.jpg + https://magiccards.info/scans/en/5dn/39.jpg + https://magiccards.info/scans/en/tp/305.jpg + https://magiccards.info/scans/en/ddu/69.jpg + https://magiccards.info/scans/en/c13/63.jpg + https://magiccards.info/scans/en/dom/76.jpg

Maybe using those cards ?

https://magiccards.info/scans/en/ima/221.jpg + https://magiccards.info/scans/en/mm2/64.jpg

I am trying this

4 Ancient Tomb
3 City of Traitors
7 Island
4 Seat of The Synod

3 Chrome Mox
3 Mox Opal
2 Jeweled Amulet

4 Mishra's Bauble
2 Urza's Bauble

4 Thoughtcast
4 Force of Will

4 Chalice of The Void

4 True-Name Nemesis
3 Trinket Mage
3 Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp

3 The Antiquites War
3 Karn, Scion of Urza

Blue count: 21
Artifact count: 22
Manabase count: 26

R3ndr0c
05-24-2018, 04:28 PM
I may have overlooked Reality Shift as a potential removal spell for this deck.

frustanani
05-25-2018, 04:48 AM
I may have overlooked Reality Shift as a potential removal spell for this deck.

why not Psionic Blast ?

Eldariel
05-25-2018, 01:14 PM
I honestly don't think it likely any of the off-the-shelf blue removal spells are real competitors for Dismember. That said, I did run Psionic Blast back in 2005 but it just isn't all that efficient. If you want blue removal, I suggest looking the way of Control Magic, Sower of Temptation or such; it's unlikely more efficient options will be printed any time soon, particularly since enchantment removal is rare enough to make Control Magic an almost guaranteed 2-for-1 (and Sower is a 3-for-1 if it lives).

P210
06-24-2018, 09:47 AM
Found this list on hareruyamtg, not really faerie/sea drake stompy, but blue with Chalice:

http://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/k/kD8579K/

Main Deck

23 Lands
3 Ancient Tomb
3 City of Traitors
4 Darksteel Citadel
5 Island
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Wasteland

5 Creatures
3 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
1 Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp

32 Spells
1 Echoing Truth
4 Tezzeret's Gambit
4 The Antiquities War
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Crucible of Worlds
4 Sapphire Medallion
4 Sorcerous Spyglass
4 Tangle Wire
1 Throne of Geth
4 Karn, Scion of Urza

15 Sideboard
2 Echoing Truth
2 Spatial Contortion
3 Warping Wail
2 Ratchet Bomb
2 Spine of Ish Sah
4 Tormod's Crypt

Really like the Karn / The Antiquities War theme, perhaps new Tezzeret could also fit in. What do you think?

Eldariel
06-24-2018, 12:23 PM
Something like that is frankly probably a better shell for The Antiquities War in general. My list is trying to do too many things at once leading to consistency issues. Perhaps we ought to just rejoice of Zahid and take advantage of the tools we have. But yeah, that list looks quite interesting.

frustanani
09-14-2018, 03:10 AM
Something like that is frankly probably a better shell for The Antiquities War in general. My list is trying to do too many things at once leading to consistency issues. Perhaps we ought to just rejoice of Zahid and take advantage of the tools we have. But yeah, that list looks quite interesting.

I found this list on the net http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=28054&iddeck=227884:

4 Ancient Tomb
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Darksteel Citadel
7 Island

4 Mox Opal
3 Lotus Petal

4 Chalice of the Void

4 Force of Will
4 Daze

4 Thoughtcast

2 Etched Champion
2 Walking Ballista
4 Master of Etherium

4 Ensoul Artifact

3 Karn, Scion of Urza
3 The Antiquities War

/// sideabord///

1 Walking Ballista
2 Damping Sphere
2 Echoing Truth
3 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Leyline of the Void
1 Padeem, Consul of Innovation
2 Sorcerous Spyglass

I think it is quite an interesting build and goes not far from from a Faerie Stompy. There are only 8 "direct creatures" but with 10 othere cards that transform artifacts in creatures: Ensoul Artifact, Karn, Scion of Urza and The Antiquities War
... Darksteel Citadel and Ensoul Artifact are quite interesting together.

what do you think ?

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=28028&iddeck=227580
http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=28008&iddeck=227162
http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=28054&iddeck=227884

R3ndr0c
09-14-2018, 04:05 AM
I like it! It has some advantages over the straight colorless artifact list, but the question is if it is better altogether. What are the disadvantages we have to ask ourselves? I definitely like it, and both those players are playing different lists and doing well, so it's possible the deck can be really good once it's finely tuned.

Eldariel
10-11-2018, 04:33 PM
That list certainly has some loose ones (4 Dazes with 7 Islands and expecting to actually cast them with any reliability is just ridiculous) but overall, it has certain appeal. I'm not sure it's better than the mono-brown lists á la Steel Stompy and I'm really sad about the lack of Trinket Mages, though I do understand the rationale of course. It just adds so much consistency and versatility. It's probably the only way to build a The Antiquites War deck though.

I wonder about the classical lists with Zahid though; they do seem pretty good in the meta. Warkite/Ballista+Wail currently seems pretty solid too with the rise of UB Shadow; gives us another way to fight the creature battle. Of course it's also pretty cool against Emrakul, Lage and company. Grixis control is a bit of a pain though. Probably the biggest hurdle in the current meta. Let's see...

10 Snow-Covered Island
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
1 Seat of the Synod

4 Chrome Mox
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Pithing Needle

4 True Name Nemesis
4 Stratus Dancer
2 Walking Ballista
3 Warkite Marauder
1 Sea Drake
3 Trinket Mage
3 Looter il-Kor

4 Force of Will

Might not actually be a bad starting point again.

R3ndr0c
10-11-2018, 10:18 PM
That list certainly has some loose ones (4 Dazes with 7 Islands and expecting to actually cast them with any reliability is just ridiculous) but overall, it has certain appeal. I'm not sure it's better than the mono-brown lists á la Steel Stompy and I'm really sad about the lack of Trinket Mages, though I do understand the rationale of course. It just adds so much consistency and versatility. It's probably the only way to build a The Antiquites War deck though.

You can always hardcast Daze.
The fact that Blue Steel has FoW is probably the main factor in creating an argument to play this over traditional Steel Stompy. This does play some cheap fat creatures that are blue as well, so you definitely have other advantages for playing blue sources.

I wonder about the classical lists with Zahid though; they do seem pretty good in the meta. Warkite/Ballista+Wail currently seems pretty solid too with the rise of UB Shadow; gives us another way to fight the creature battle. Of course it's also pretty cool against Emrakul, Lage and company. Grixis control is a bit of a pain though. Probably the biggest hurdle in the current meta. Let's see...

I tested Zahid a while ago, so the data isn't fresh in my mind, but I don't think Zahid is the best option. It expensive even with the mana cost reduction, and that 4 mana is unreliable.

Here's the list I've been on for a while. Not sure I can make any changes.

// Blue Stompy

// 60 Maindeck
// 13 Artifact
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Chrome Mox
2 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Sword of Fire and Ice

// 23 Creature
3 Trinket Mage
3 Stratus Dancer
4 True-Name Nemesis
4 Looter il-Kor
4 Nimble Obstructionist
2 Walking Ballista
3 Warkite Marauder

// 5 Instant
4 Force of Will
1 Misdirection

// 19 Land
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
10 Island
1 Seat of the Synod

// 15 Sideboard
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
3 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Faerie Macabre
2 Venser, Shaper Savant
3 Back to Basics
1 Misdirection
2 Reality Shift

Reality Shift is a great card in this deck.

Possible Changes:
-1 Shift for +1 bounce spell (still gives tempo vs the creature decks and deals with Marit Lage while also providing a way to deal with Ensnaring Bridge besides just Venser)
-1 Misdirection SD (4 FoW and 2 MD's might be too much of that type of card in the 75 and it may not be relevant enough) and having another Sideboard option would be very nice
-1 Spyglass +1 Revoker SD (more creature might just be better, but I have liked having 1 Spyglass for the hand reveal as well as protection against lands, especially Wasteland and Port)

Is Nimble Obstructionist good enough to have 4-of? This is a tough question to answer. Most of the time it's just a 3/1 Flash, which is still great for this deck, and the ability can also be great.

Questions:

Can Spellstutter replace anything in the deck?

How do we feel about Teferi's Response? I love the design of the card, and it would feel amazing to counter a wasteland or Port with this, and I would love to have an excuse to cast this card, but it's probably not worth it. If AssTrophy is popular in Legacy this could be a more serious consideration.

frogger42
11-24-2018, 05:34 PM
I tested Zahid a while ago, so the data isn't fresh in my mind, but I don't think Zahid is the best option. It expensive even with the mana cost reduction, and that 4 mana is unreliable.

Here's the list I've been on for a while. Not sure I can make any changes.

// Blue Stompy

// 60 Maindeck
// 13 Artifact
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Chrome Mox
2 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Sword of Fire and Ice

// 23 Creature
3 Trinket Mage
3 Stratus Dancer
4 True-Name Nemesis
4 Looter il-Kor
4 Nimble Obstructionist
2 Walking Ballista
3 Warkite Marauder

// 5 Instant
4 Force of Will
1 Misdirection

// 19 Land
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
10 Island
1 Seat of the Synod

// 15 Sideboard
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
3 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Faerie Macabre
2 Venser, Shaper Savant
3 Back to Basics
1 Misdirection
2 Reality Shift

Reality Shift is a great card in this deck.

I played a different deck, UB, with Chrome Mox and FoW. I ran a few Chrome and 4 FoW at the time, and it was incredibly difficult to get use out of one or the other - a lot of times I had to pitch my FoW on the Chrome to make a T1 play, and that's not knowing what I'm facing. I'd just note that these cards are very anti-synergistic, and so is Misdirection here.

Also, you have 23 mana sources - is that enough? You have a lower curve than I do, but I don't think I run a prison deck below 26. We don't run cantrips, and I think with stompy decks you want to keep any Chalice hand you've got and not be forced to mull because you're land light.

Captain Hammer
11-25-2018, 08:13 PM
I found this list on the net http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=28054&iddeck=227884:

4 Ancient Tomb
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Darksteel Citadel
7 Island

4 Mox Opal
3 Lotus Petal

4 Chalice of the Void

4 Force of Will
4 Daze

4 Thoughtcast

2 Etched Champion
2 Walking Ballista
4 Master of Etherium

4 Ensoul Artifact

3 Karn, Scion of Urza
3 The Antiquities War

/// sideabord///

1 Walking Ballista
2 Damping Sphere
2 Echoing Truth
3 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Leyline of the Void
1 Padeem, Consul of Innovation
2 Sorcerous Spyglass

I think it is quite an interesting build and goes not far from from a Faerie Stompy. There are only 8 "direct creatures" but with 10 othere cards that transform artifacts in creatures: Ensoul Artifact, Karn, Scion of Urza and The Antiquities War
... Darksteel Citadel and Ensoul Artifact are quite interesting together.

what do you think ?

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=28028&iddeck=227580
http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=28008&iddeck=227162
http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=28054&iddeck=227884

That list looks very close to the below list that has been racking up top 8s like crazy over at mtgtop8

Planeswalker (5)
4 Karn, Scion of Urza
1 Tezzeret, Artifice Master
Creature (7)
4 Baleful Strix
3 Walking Ballista
Sorcery (4)
4 Thoughtcast
Instant (3)
3 Force of Will
Artifact (28)
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Vault of Whispers
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Dimir Signet
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Mox Opal
2 Urza's Bauble
Enchantment (5)
1 Artificer's Intuition
4 The Antiquities War
Land (8)
4 Ancient Tomb
2 Glimmervoid
1 Inventors' Fair
1 Island
60 Cards
Sideboard (15)
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Force of Will
2 Flusterstorm
4 Leyline of the Void
2 Padeem, Consul of Innovation
2 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Tormod's Crypt
2 Toxic Deluge

Might be a direction worth pursuing. The list has already done well at quite a few tourneys.

Noctalor
01-02-2019, 11:13 AM
https://i.gyazo.com/289125975e882120a68501b3c0c24fcd.png

Super strong card in this deck

frogger42
01-05-2019, 01:13 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/289125975e882120a68501b3c0c24fcd.png

Super strong card in this deck

I agree, it's def a strong card. But I put Jace TMS in that slot. May depend on how you build, but Jace + Brainstorm is probably always better than a solid 4/4 flier.

Eldariel
01-07-2019, 03:50 PM
I think Sphinx might very well be what this deck needs to be a thing again. It does necessitate a slower build but honestly, Scry 3 in the opener turns basically every one-lander into a godhand. I feel like the card reduces the variance of your opening turns by so much that it's worth going through a bit of trouble to fit it in. The first and foremost problem for this deck has always been that you win some, you lose some; sometimes your opener is just garbage or you have bad runner-runner draws. Over the years we've combated this problem with everything from SoFI to Trinket Mage to Thirst for Knowledge to Looter il-Kor to Mulldrifter to Misthollow Griffin to JTMS but this is the first card that doesn't cost mana to accomplish what we want. That's incredibly valuable. It's also a fine rate creature on its own right at the cost. Of course, the problem is that with so many UU costs in the deck it becomes difficult to justify all the colorless mana; there have been few enough good 2U and 3U cards in the recent memory (Zahid and Sai are the only ones that come to mind and they both want a few more artifacts than we'd traditionally run) and with the creature power level being continuously pushed, that's a bad place to be at comparatively. Figuring out the manabase is the big part. If you get that down (it may now be right to look at less than 4 Cities though unfortunately that does reduce the consistency of the turn 1 Chalices, which is where many of our free wins come from).

Noctalor
01-08-2019, 07:04 AM
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Trinisphere
4 Chrome Mox
4 Sphinx
4 Serendib Efreet
4 Sea Drake
3 Fettergeist
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
7 Island
1 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Temporal Mastery

Just a list i made in a few minutes, could it work?

Mr. Safety
01-08-2019, 08:24 AM
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Trinisphere
4 Chrome Mox
4 Sphinx
4 Serendib Efreet
4 Sea Drake
3 Fettergeist
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
7 Island
1 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Scalding Tarn
2 Temporal Mastery

Just a list i made in a few minutes, could it work?

Sexy, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Playing Daze, Force, and Chalice in the same deck is pure evil. I love it. I'm not sure you need that many threats, but I'm not really familiar with this deck. Three-ball and Daze/Force don't work well together but each are powerful enough to force the anti-synergy. Mastery is janky, and probably absurd if you can live the dream with Sphinx scry into an extra turn early.

I might play some number of Echoing Truth in the maindeck, just because I would fear the house of cards geting undone by variance.

SpatulaOfTheAges
01-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Has anyone tried Skilled Animator in this deck? It doesn't have flying, but turn 1 Chalice, turn 2 Animator seems like a brutal line of play.

Noctalor
01-08-2019, 09:05 AM
Has anyone tried Skilled Animator in this deck? It doesn't have flying, but turn 1 Chalice, turn 2 Animator seems like a brutal line of play.

Definitely playable, it needs a playset of seat of the synod, which means no daze likely, but the beatdown is pretty insane.
Its also true tho that you cant count trini as an activator, so you need at least another playset of decent artifacts

SpatulaOfTheAges
01-08-2019, 09:23 AM
I was imagining it with Chalice and Thorn, and yes, Seat of the Synod as well.

frustanani
01-08-2019, 10:16 AM
I think Sphinx might very well be what this deck needs to be a thing again. It does necessitate a slower build but honestly, Scry 3 in the opener turns basically every one-lander into a godhand. I feel like the card reduces the variance of your opening turns by so much that it's worth going through a bit of trouble to fit it in. The first and foremost problem for this deck has always been that you win some, you lose some; sometimes your opener is just garbage or you have bad runner-runner draws. Over the years we've combated this problem with everything from SoFI to Trinket Mage to Thirst for Knowledge to Looter il-Kor to Mulldrifter to Misthollow Griffin to JTMS but this is the first card that doesn't cost mana to accomplish what we want. That's incredibly valuable. It's also a fine rate creature on its own right at the cost. Of course, the problem is that with so many UU costs in the deck it becomes difficult to justify all the colorless mana; there have been few enough good 2U and 3U cards in the recent memory (Zahid and Sai are the only ones that come to mind and they both want a few more artifacts than we'd traditionally run) and with the creature power level being continuously pushed, that's a bad place to be at comparatively. Figuring out the manabase is the big part. If you get that down (it may now be right to look at less than 4 Cities though unfortunately that does reduce the consistency of the turn 1 Chalices, which is where many of our free wins come from).

I totally agree

What do you think of something like this ?

9 Island
2 Seat of The Synod
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors

4 Chrome Mox
4 Chalice of The Void
3 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Force of Will

4 Sphinx of Foresight
4 True-Name Nemesis
4 Cloud of Faeries
4 Trinket Mage
4 Warkite Marauder
4 Walking Ballista
2 Solemn Simulacrum

with 23 mana sources and 4 Cloud of Faeries and 2 Solemn Simulacrum to ramp a bit or fix the mana
(4 Trinket Mage can tutor a second blue source too)

with the package:
4 Warkite Marauder
4 Walking Ballista which is a super card to my view at the moment
3 Umezawa's Jitte
maybe there is no need anymore for more equipments

Eldariel
01-10-2019, 08:18 AM
If you play Seats you either drop SB B2Bs or make them much worse, either way negatively impacting a number of match-ups. That said, between Skilled Animator, Sai, Zahid and TAW, there may be enough tools around to incentivize a stompyish blue artifact deck. Skilled Animator does open your artifacts up to creature removal though and I'm not sure it's consistently good enough; no flying means it's brickwalled by Anglers, True-Names and company. My earlier drafts of artistompy kinda fell flat on their face due to a number of issues but perhaps...

21 Dudes
4 Trinket Mage
4 Sai
4 Skilled Animator
4 Sphinx of Foresight (no synergies though, probably not right here)
2 Master of Etherium
2 Walking Ballista
1 Hangarback Walker

15 Stuff
3 The Antiquites War
4 Force of Will
2 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
4 Chalice of the Void
1 Pithing Needle

24 Mana
3 Chrome Mox
1 Mox Opal
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
6 Island

Or something along those lines. Perhaps Warkites or Ravagers are correct and perhaps you do still want Looter. I'd have to play with Sphinx a bit more to be sure. You have it in your opener about 40% of the time and you can probably keep most of the hands with it; even if your opening 7 are weak, being able to immediately Scry 3 really helps make the next draws more impactful.

@ Frustrani: Something like that, perhaps. I'd be leery of dropping Looters particularly without packing Jace or something similar as we do still want active filtering, I think. I'm also not sure how good Cloud of Faeries is given that Sphinx is again another 4-drop it can't accelerate out. It is much more alluring if you're running e.g. Zahid and Glen Elendra Archmage instead. True-Name Nemesis also gets much worse if you only have 3 equipment. There's definitely a deck there somewhere though.

@ Noctalor: I wouldn't run Fettergeist, the card is just bad. I'm not sure Efreet and Drake are really up to par right now either. I mean, perhaps. I never liked MD Trinispheres with no mana denial built into the setup and it mostly feels superfluous from the SB. It's just not out early enough reliably to lock the enemy out and slowing them down while slowing yourself out (Dazes and Forces are pretty weak with it and you spend a turn and a card playing it) only works if you slow them down way more. If you ran like MD Back to Basics, I'd be more inclined to run that too.

Tokay
03-05-2019, 02:09 AM
Hi to everybody. I'm a casual magic player (english is not my main language so ....sorry for all the mistakes :frown:). I like to play my Faerie stompy deck and i have been playing it for years. I like to play F. Stompy aggro so i stick with casting cost 3 and try to keep it with few or no double blue .I'm often looking for your new post to improve my deck so... Thx everybody that still play Faerie Stompy.
Here my deck:

Faerie Stompy (with +4 Sphynx of foresight . before the add of the sphinx i was playing it with +3 looter and +1 back to basic -1 Seat of Synod +1 snow-covered island)

Main:

4 Ancient Tomb
4 Chrome Mox
4 City of Traitors
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Shoreline Ranger
9 Snow-Covered Island
(Classic, with a shoreline r. for the double blue...still not sure if i need it)

1 Back to Basics
4 Chalice of the Void
(Back to B. WINS in my legacy metagame)

1 Misdirection
4 Force of Will
(misdirection is mainly used as counter-counter spell)

4 Cloud of Faeries
3 Illusory Angel
3 Nimble Obstructionist
3 Sea Drake
4 Sphinx of Foresight
3 Trinket Mage
2 Walking Ballista

(cloud of faeries shine if there are equip. Cloud and sea drake help with back to basic)

2 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
2 Umezawa's Jitte

(Sword of light and shadow to gain live and for my cycling cloud of faeries and Nimble O. it's working well also with walking balista)

Sideboard:
2 Back to Basics
2 Dismember
1 Echoing Truth
2 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Pithing Needle
2 Ratchet Bomb
(still thinking on this. need it for ensharing bridge but...maybe my old jester cap and a couple of miscalculation could do the job:really:)
1 Spellstutter Sprite .
(I'm usually the aggro deck so it's difficult to stay with mana open to do counter.Usually i never put more than 2-3 counter in side. Ratchet bomb toke those slots )
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Venser, Shaper Savant (Great versus show and tell )

The main problems in my metagame are miracle decks and deck that use Ensnaring bridge . What' are you side versus miracle?pm thx

Eldariel
03-06-2019, 08:43 AM
I'd definitely run at least a singleton Venser and perhaps some Jaces if you run into a lot of Ensnaring Bridge. Otherwise your only plan is to Ballista them down which takes about infinite mana. I don't think Illusory Angel is reliable enough to run; it's a terrible topdeck and meh. I don't think Shoreline Ranger is really good enough anymore; while it does its job, having to lead with City is just a pain. I'd replace it with one more Trinket Mage for double coloured. Far as Miracles is concerned, Glen Elendra Archmage is incredible there and goes nicely with Cloud of Faeries too so I'd definitely consider running some number.

The new London Mulligan rule seems great for us.

Tokay
03-19-2019, 05:33 PM
Hi . I tried to play FS. Aggro in a small tournament (37 player) but my meta was not right for an aggro deck and i did some mistake (both in the deck building and while playing). I was thinking to try something a bit different next time but i still feel that i need some help in the deck building.

This is what's i'm thinking to build :

Main:

4 Ancient Tomb
3 City of Traitors
3 Polluted Delta -----------> crucible + polluted delta can help to get the 2° blue mana
6-7 Snow-Covered Island --->not sure : if i can find to borrow a mox diamon i think that it should take the place of a land
4 Chrome Mox
3 Wasteland--> should help with nimble o. and chalice to keep some nasty spells away. Work well with crucible of worlds. worth it?maybe
1 seat of synod------------->so trinket mage could get the 2° blue mana

24 mana source probably.

1 Crucible of Worlds ---->it cost 3 mana. it fix a problem of the deck. i didn't need to buy it. Only 1 because it's just plan B--->maybe trinket n°4
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Force of Will

2 Walking Ballista *
3 Cloud of Faeries ---->maybe sea drake
3 Trinket Mage *
3 True-Name Nemesis *
3 Looter il-Kor
3 Nimble Obstructionist
4 Sphinx of Foresight

21 creatures : i don't feel good with less.* are creatures that i don't want to change

2 The Antiquities War ------> still trying it : should help to find crucible , swords or chalice. plan C ?. is there something better?

2 Sword of Fire and Ice
2 Umezawa's Jitte

4 equips .

THX

Eldariel
03-20-2019, 08:33 AM
I'd say 4th Trinket is much better than Crucible: finds you U, is a threat and provides another threat (Ballista) or a lockpiece (Chalice). If you run TAW, I think 4 Trinkets is a must. That card goes great with TAW (as does Walking Ballista). Crucible has too much of a chance to do nothing IMHO, and City + Wasteland is a really slow setup. TAW is a neat direction to take the deck but I'm not sure it's consistent enough. I'd consider trying Jace in that slot. With fetches, Jace is pretty reliable (you have ways to get extra cards in hand, Jace turns those cards into gas) and it's an alternative wincon, a fine tempo play and an efficient counter to the millions of Cheat Big Dummy Into Play-decks in today's metagame. If you have Trinket, you can hit UU pretty easily. With Walking Ballista (and perhaps one Hangarback; it's a great Jace Defender vs. non-white decks and when you have a Chalice in play), you are pretty well setup to grind and let Jace do its thing.

If you're running Walking Ballista and Jitte, I do like Warkite Marauder in some number. 2/1 Flying for 1U is not a bad failcase and when it does things, it does huge things. It would be optimal if you could tutor for it, but miser's copy or a 2-of is probably not a bad idea. Again, I'd definitely pack some Venser/Sower-type effects for the Show and Tell somewhere in the 75. Sower in particular isn't bad against fair decks either (Venser is a bit anemic). Far as creatures go, a Zahid or two as the top-end Gurmag Trumps isn't necessarily a bad idea either.

Do post how it goes and whether you truly like the Sphinx; it looks good but whether that pans out requires more testing.

Tokay
03-21-2019, 04:27 AM
i' have tested it online and it's really true that 4°trinket is much better than 3 and a crucible.thx
Sphinx look good until now but i still have some problem to fit it in the deck.

1) mana cost : it's a good turn three drop but turn three is full: jace , glean e. , venser ,true n.nemesi. are all card that we usually can't drop before turn 3. double blue some time is a problem too

2) you usually don't need more than 1 in your opening hand.

3) Some time you don't need to just look to the future and scry...you need it at once.

So maybe 4 is too much.

Now...i know that i'm going to say a something that sound like a foolishness and probably it'is a foolishness.

+ 3 brainstorm + 1 jace + 1 misdirection in a build with 3 looter and some fetches?:eek:

Eldariel
03-21-2019, 02:05 PM
Sphinx is an awkward card in that we absolutely want 4 to maximize the chance of getting the Scry-option, but we really don't want more than 2 max for actual hardcasting (if even that; it's not very powerful at a UU 4/4 flyer, but good enough to carry equipment and close games). In that sense, I like Jace just for the Brainstorm. Indeed, I welcome hands with Jace turn 3 to shuffle a Sphinx or two away, which is why I'd love to have a couple. Brainstorm is certainly an effect we'd love to have. The fact of the matter is though, most of the games we're going to go for Chalice at 1 ASAP (which is most of the time accessible with 4 Chalices, 4 Trinkets) making it a horrid topdeck and making for some bad options on the first turns (do I drop a Chalice or play Brainstorm? You'll always drop Chalice since it's the better the earlier it lands, while Brainstorm is the better the later you cast it). You can test it but there's a reason Brainstorm has never made it into this deck in spite of shoring up a huge issue. Looter kinda does this job already though it does feel a bit underpowered since we can't abuse the discard effect and it's a 2-mana 1/1 unblockable effectively. Great with equipment but modern lists are down to 4, from the 7 I used to run back in the day, making this less reliable.

Tokay
03-24-2019, 04:02 AM
Now my deck look something like this:

Sea Stompy -->work in progress-->i'm editing this post every time i change something.I appreciate advice

Bare-bones Faerie stompy ( after 07/04)

4 ancient tomb
4 Chrome mox
4 City of Traitors
1 Seat of Synod
9 Snow-Covered Island

(22 Mana Source)

3 Looter il-kor
4 Sphinx of Foresight
-->(7 filters)
2 Walking Ballista
3 True-Name Nemesis
3 Trinket Mage
--> (our handyman )

( 15 Creatures)

4 Force of Will
4 Chalice of the Void
(8 Core Stuff,)

2 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
(4 Equip)

11 Filler slots :

Config A(stronger vs control):

3 Stratus Dancer
1 warkite m.
3 nimble obstrutionist
1 venser
1 sword of fire and ice,
1 Snow-covered Island
1 TFK

Config B (Faster. Now i'm playing this.):

3 Cloud of faeries
3 Sea Drake
1 sword of fire of ice
1 illusory angel
1 Zahid
1 TFK
1 Snow-covered Island

C ( Something between A and B. )

3 Stratus Dancer
3 Sea Drake
1 sword of fire of ice
3 Serendib Effret (not so good )
1 Snow-covered Island

Check-list A:
at least 21 creatures checked: 23
at least 25 blue cards checked: 26
at least 6 removal-like cards (like equip,sower, ballista ,dismember)checked :7 (this is an,Faerie Stompy,unspoken rule)

Check-list B:
at least 21 creatures checked :24
at least 25 blue cards checked :26
at least 6 removal-like cards

Bare-bones Sideboard :

3 Back to Basics
2 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Pithing Needle
1 Tormod's Crypt
2 Misdirection
1 Rushing river

5 Filler slots

List A -B
Quite sure for both:

1 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Venser

Only for List A ( need a bit more stuff vs aggro)

1 Tormod's cript
2 Dismember

Only for List B ( need a bit more stuff vs Show and tell and dark d.)

1 Venser
1 Aether Spell-bomb
1 Bojuka Bog (we can use the D. up and down effect )

Side-board Check-list:

Some stuff for Show and tell and Dark deep
Some stuff for Death and Taxes
Some Stuff for Graveyard: tormod's
Some Stuff for Ensnaring bridge : still lacking , only bounce, maybe GEA to try to counter it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit 11/04: change the deck with my bare-bones faerie stompy deck.There are still 8 random filler slots for cards which depends on the metagame
Edit 14/04 : Bare-bones sideboard : 10 cards. Still 5 free slot which depends on the metagame.
Edit 18/04 : Removed Stratus Dancer from the Bare-bones list. Now 11 free slots . Stratus is good only versus miracle.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...Stifle is more than landkill in that case. It’s land countering, functionally a turn one Time Walk...." Garrett Johnson on Mathemagics: Onslaught Fetchlands
(why i love nimble obstrutionist)

"...We tried running 3 Hangars for a while. The problem was two-fold. First, it finally broke the level of Blue cards in the deck below what we felt consistency required...." Mr. Parcher on this thread

"I believe we have currently moved too far towards utility and consistency, and too far away from the aggressive power of the deck. By this I mean, there are certain cards and/or strategies that the deck simply cannot properly deal with. This is inherent to the archetype. However, the ability to drop a big, evasive threat, and protect it long enough to kill your opponent is the base strategy"Mr. Parcher on this thread

"..I wouldn't play under 20 creatures in Faerie Stompy, and the more, the merrier." Eldariel

frogger42
03-29-2019, 07:32 PM
Now my deck look something like this:
Sea Stompy

Main:

4 Ancient Tomb
4 Chrome Mox
4 City of Traitors
1 Seat of the Synod
10 Snow-Covered Island
(23 mana sources)

3 Looter il-Kor
3 Sphinx of Foresight
-->(6 filters)
3 Nimble Obstructionist
2 Walking Ballista
--> (removals and stiffle )
1 Venser, Shaper Savant
-->Silver Bullet
3 Sea Drake
3 True-Name Nemesis
--> (main creatures)
3 Trinket Mage
--> (our handyman )
3 Stratus Dancer
-->umbrella
24 creatures

4 Force of Will
4 Chalice of the Void
core stuff

2 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
4 equip
[ maybe with 2 ballista 4 equip could be enough...]
1 blue card

Sideboard:

3 Back to Basics

2 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Pithing Needle

1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Bojuka Bog

2 Dismember

1 Glen Elendra Archmage
2 Misdirection

1 Echoing Truth
1 Venser, Shaper Savant

Sphinx was cut to 3. 4 :2::u::u: or :3::u: drop are more that enough for me. Now the deck look like Parcher's list (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?16742-Deck-Faerie-Stompy&p=929536&viewfull=1#post929536) (+ 1 creatures -1 mox diamond , same core stuff ) :should be more or less alright .

[I]Edit 29/3. drop from 5 equip to 4 : no need to draw more than one and more blue card = more stable deck

Hi Tokay! After moving around from a few different Chalice decks, I think I'm going to head back to Faerie Stompy. I mentioned this before, but Chrome Mox is horrible with 4 Force of Will, and especially when you add a Misdirection.

I've got a list I really like, and one I'm still tuning. Do you want me to PM you both? Just send me a pm so I see it. Good luck!

Tokay
04-04-2019, 11:24 AM
. I mentioned this before, but Chrome Mox is horrible with 4 Force of Will, and especially when you add a Misdirection.

I've got a list I really like, and one I'm still tuning. Do you want me to PM you both? Just send me a pm so I see it. Good luck!

I would like to see both the list .Thx.I'm still missing "something" to improve mine(complicate and Venser are cards that i used to play on the sideboard :i'm not sure about them) .

I feel that misdirection is a great sideboard card but i'm not sure if we should play it in the main deck : in most of the games i don't like to topdeck it.Misdirection help when we need to win a counter-war with some tempo decks and it's a nice card vs hymn to tourach ,sickhole and removal.When used well with misdirection we are trading 2 cards for 2 opponent cards (sometime is better than FW)

Vs miracle ,control deck and prison deck i prefer complicate or negate ( the game change from a war of speed to one of card advantage and we couldn't use misdirection on most of their spell like Planeswalker ,terminus ,counterbalance ecc...).

I still think that the deck have 3 major problems that we should try to solve

1)consistence (and here with the sphinx help,we are doing better. Need to see if it is enough and if it's worth it)
2)lack of a plan "b" (not so bad...all the aggro decks lack a plan B.I will like to put Jace inside ...but another :2::u::u:
Is too much)
3) lack of instant stuff : we are easy to read and our combat fase is a foregone conclusion(i try to put nimble, venser and counter...but pestermite was stronger ion this .At least now Stratus Dancer could help to make the fight even )

Waiting to see both your list

Tokay

frogger42
04-24-2019, 04:27 PM
My Sea Stompy list on camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imUCjmpx-sw

Tokay
04-25-2019, 06:10 AM
I like your deck frogger

i like :

tolara west,waste , mox diamond ,crucible of words , trophy mage: a really strong synergy here. Crucible + waste and chalice is a good lock

But i don't like the creature base: you need more and stronger to close the game faster

i belive that you should play

4 sphinx of foresight , 4 true-name namesi and 1 or 2 zahid as the main beater. ( 8-10 beater)
3 trophy mage 4 looter as filter and tutor
2 walking balista as removal

around 18 creature at least : your lock is stronger than the classic sea stompy list but you still need some guy to protect Jace or to close the game

Jace in this list is really good but 1 or 2 is enough.

frogger42
04-25-2019, 05:20 PM
I like your deck frogger

i like :

tolara west,waste , mox diamond ,crucible of words , trophy mage: a really strong synergy here. Crucible + waste and chalice is a good lock

But i don't like the creature base: you need more and stronger to close the game faster

i belive that you should play

4 sphinx of foresight , 4 true-name namesi and 1 or 2 zahid as the main beater. ( 8-10 beater)
3 trophy mage 4 looter as filter and tutor
2 walking balista as removal

around 18 creature at least : your lock is stronger than the classic sea stompy list but you still need some guy to protect Jace or to close the game

Jace in this list is really good but 1 or 2 is enough.

Thanks Tokay! Feel free to tinker around with the list. I wouldn't run Zahid as it's terrible vs DnT, and it's already a tough matchup - and it's certainly winnable, too. Let me know what you're thinking of trying.

Eldariel
04-26-2019, 07:14 AM
I definitely like 4 Jaces in lists that can support him. He's inherently self-regulating as you can just shuffle extras away, he can be a good way to get back into the tempo game by bouncing and forcing enemy to kill him just to drop another one, and obviously he offers a non-creature wincon. We definitely love a Brainstorm-like effect and he's one that's strong and fits perfectly with Chalice. As long as you expect to hit 2UU regularly, I like a number even though he isn't a threat per ce. Having him on the board tends to make the game more or less unwinnable for the opponent; I like him with Trinket + Hangarback.

frustanani
04-26-2019, 03:30 PM
Sorry, I can't find frogger42's list you are talking about.

Eldariel
04-30-2019, 07:34 AM
I PM'd it to you. He'd rather not divulge tech into public just yet but we can discuss it just fine; hell, that's what this thread is for. The more people we have working on this, the more optimisation we can do.

talpa
04-30-2019, 09:11 AM
I PM'd it to you. He'd rather not divulge tech into public just yet but we can discuss it just fine; hell, that's what this thread is for. The more people we have working on this, the more optimisation we can do.

Can anybody please pm me too the list you are speaking about?
I'm a long legacy aficionado but a newbie of this deck, but I'm considering it if the London Mulligan rule sticks.

Forgive me if I ask dumb questions, but why this deck doesn't play trinisphere? only 4 pieces of lock doesn't seem that much compared to others "stompy" decks (MUD, Dragon) or the old White Stack.

Finally, has anybody ever thought of something like Day's Undoing to refill the hand after deploying the hand quickly / a hard mulligan?
I'm thinking of a different approach, more "all in" on the starting hand (again, because of the london mulligan) with maybe more moxes, gemstone caverns, serum powders and griffins...

Thank you all!

frogger42
04-30-2019, 10:33 AM
I'm a long legacy aficionado but a newbie of this deck, but I'm considering it if the London Mulligan rule sticks.

Forgive me if I ask dumb questions, but why this deck doesn't play trinisphere? only 4 pieces of lock doesn't seem that much compared to others "stompy" decks (MUD, Dragon) or the old White Stack.

Finally, has anybody ever thought of something like Day's Undoing to refill the hand after deploying the hand quickly / a hard mulligan?
I'm thinking of a different approach, more "all in" on the starting hand (again, because of the london mulligan) with maybe more moxes, gemstone caverns, serum powders and griffins...

Thank you all!

I put together a weird affinity list with Frogmite / Myr Enforcer / Mishra's and Urza's Baubles + Day's Undoing. It was a BLAST to play, but the power level of the cards just wasn't there. I haven't put the list up anywhere and just kind of chucked it. With these prison decks, this style doesn't go all in, it's usually drop one piece at a time, and Draw 7 allows your opponent to find Decay / K Command.

No Trinisphere because of Force, and Force is much much better. It's a catchall for so many things, and Trini just isn't.

PS I just sent a list to you

P210
04-30-2019, 12:08 PM
Also interessted in the list. Tried myself to play with Trophy Mages, Crucible, Wasteland and Mox Diamond. But it didnt went that well.
As always if the deck goes too much in the artifact direction, i had trouble to have enough blue cards to support Force of Will....

Eldariel
04-30-2019, 03:46 PM

The deck doesn't play mana denial (aside from the SB B2B). This means Trinisphere doesn't really do much except against combo unless you drop it early and follow up with pressure. It buys tempo, sure, but it costs you a card and tempo to drop it and if enemy has answers to your threats, it'll end up doing nothing. It's a terrible topdeck and it's just overall quite situational. Chalice on the other hand is often good at any point in the game as it doesn't only make things cost more, it actually buys you virtual card advantage by making cards not playable.

Also do note that the deck plays 4 Chalices and 3-4 Trinket Mages and some draw. That's substantially more than most Stompy decks. This enables crafting boardstates where you have the inevitability with the appropriate Chalices; Chalice at 1 against BS decks and company, Chalice at 1 and 2 against low curve decks, Chalice at 2 against Loam decks, etc. Back when I played this deck more or less constantly, many of my wins came from just getting the Chalices down, stabilizing the board and winning while my opponent couldn't cast spells. Trini doesn't work like that.

Day's Undoing isn't that good unless you have ways to empty your hand fast. We have acceleration but our spells are ridiculously expensive by Legacy standards. You aren't emptying your hand any faster than any other deck and that makes the card strictly symmetrical making it very unreliable. You could build a version that's good with Day's Undoing but again, the power level concerns are very real as that would require playing cards that:
1) Probably don't synergize well with Chalice
or
2) Are just rather weak overall

Thank you all!

The more all-in plan is interesting to explore. I must say though, I think the best feature of Faerie Stompy out of all the Stompy-lists has always been that it's the most robust or balanced. Back when it actually briefly hit the DTB, most of the lists were simply sleek and efficient. I always built to ensure the reliability of my deck; I wanted as few UU spells as possible with sufficient lands and both, ways to function under flood and ways to survive screw. That's why I've been running cards like Mulldrifter, Thirst, FoF, Looter, etc. Nowadays I think JTMS is the best flood prevention that's also good overall; it's the Brainstorm-that-works-under-Chalice we always wanted. If only 2UU weren't so hard to cast.

But yeah, Serum Powder + Griffin is certainly a neat combo and if you're running Griffin + FoW and Griffin + Chrome Mox perhaps with Manipulate Fate, you can get a lot of mileage out of the card. The biggest problem of the deck still is that TNN is one of the best cards we could ever hope for though and it has the absolute worst casting cost possible.

frogger42
04-30-2019, 04:25 PM
The biggest problem of the deck still is that TNN is one of the best cards we could ever hope for though and it has the absolute worst casting cost possible.

I just wanted to add that an opposing TNN is the worst card for the deck to face. Given that you're a Prison deck and basically seek to control the game over the course of several turns, TNN is one of those cards that Faerie/Sea Stompy just can't deal with, not when it resolves. Ensnaring Bridge can deal with it... and I think that's honestly about it (even Forcefield still gives my opponent some inevitability).

I just thought I'd add that to the conversation, if that helps. I'd been losing a fair amount to TNN without access to a Bridge or lifegain.

Eldariel
04-30-2019, 05:00 PM
I just wanted to add that an opposing TNN is the worst card for the deck to face. Given that you're a Prison deck and basically seek to control the game over the course of several turns, TNN is one of those cards that Faerie/Sea Stompy just can't deal with, not when it resolves. Ensnaring Bridge can deal with it... and I think that's honestly about it (even Forcefield still gives my opponent some inevitability).

I just thought I'd add that to the conversation, if that helps. I'd been losing a fair amount to TNN without access to a Bridge or lifegain.

Aye, that's one place where Jitte also shines; it simply allows outracing TNN rather effortlessly. Of course, SoLS does more or less the same but its other effect is so unreliable it can be kind of annoying.

Eldariel
05-14-2019, 03:57 AM
Hmm, for builds with Trinket Mage, I'm actually kinda liking Retrofitter Foundry in the control match-ups (at least Miracles). It's cheap, fetchable, produces repeatable equipment bearers and is a good manasink. It's easy enough to tap 3 to make a servo and down the line it's possible to make multiple servos a turn (or to upgrade them if you feel so inclined and have mana left over). Clashes with Chalice but in the match-ups where you might need a constant stream of creatures, I think you're quite well off if Chalice lands anyways and this could be a potentially interesting back-up option for when the Chalice doesn't land.

Captain Hammer
05-14-2019, 11:34 AM

Yes bridge is such a good card.

Kind of makes me wonder if a Mono Blue Prison list akin to Mono Red Prison but with Back to Basics and Narset Parter of Veils in place of Blood Moon/Magus and Jaces instead of Chandra would be effective. Such a list would be playing Trini, Bridge alongside FoW versus combo lists.

Hell, if it wants to be controllish but with fewer prison cards it possibly could go creatureless except for Emrakul and aim to win with Proteus Staff/Polymorph (man lands, lazotep plating, warping wails and callous dismissal) all work great with this approach.

Mr. Headshot
05-14-2019, 04:45 PM
Sounds like and interesting idea. Do you have already a list?

frogger42
05-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Yes bridge is such a good card.

Kind of makes me wonder if a Mono Blue Prison list akin to Mono Red Prison but with Back to Basics and Narset Parter of Veils in place of Blood Moon/Magus and Jaces instead of Chandra would be effective. Such a list would be playing Trini, Bridge alongside FoW versus combo lists.

Hell, if it wants to be controllish but with fewer prison cards it possibly could go creatureless except for Emrakul and aim to win with Proteus Staff/Polymorph (man lands, lazotep plating, warping wails and callous dismissal) all work great with this approach.

I stopped liking B2B after playing Blood Moon. It's really about half as powerful as Moon - your opponent has a tonna outs to it, just in Decay alone. The only slight advantage it has is pitching to Force. Much more dependent on the matchup that Blood Moon. I keep cutting B2B and would rather run more utility lands than Islands.

Narset is worth playtesting. I haven't tried it, but two things about Narset: Chalice @ 1 shuts off cantrips as well, and Narset does just about the same thing but is more fragile. Also, when you stabilize, you want multiple activations off your cards - whether it's just JTMS ticking up, or smashing with a TNN turn after turn. I suspect the fact that Narset only activates twice means that it doesn't quite fit the "lock out and accumulate advantage over 10 turns" gameplan. Also if you protect her with Bridge, -2 isn't quite ideal. I think Narset is a Chalice @1 for decks that don't run Chalice, but I don't really have time to playtest it yet.

Proteus Staff combo is my wet dream. Never got it to work yet :/ (Tezz Agent of Bolas? Tezz Artifice Master...?)

Eldariel
05-15-2019, 09:18 AM
I usually run B2B in MUs where it's superimpactful, like Lands, Post, Eldrazi, Grixis (the only non-basic land running variants), etc. I don't bring it in otherwise, which is why I consider it a strictly sideboard card. Blood Moon is better in that it enables our lands to keep functioning while screwing many opponents over. Of course, it's worse in that the lands still tap for mana so if e.g. Eldrazi have any source of colorless (typically Grim Monolith), it suddenly might not hamper them much at all while they still aren't casting anything under B2B. In short, the two have different strengths but in this deck, I have a hard time seeing B2B as more than a sideboard card. B2B is something you don't plan around as much but rather something you just slam down in middle of a normal game and suddenly your opponent can't cast spells.

frogger42
05-15-2019, 09:42 AM
I usually run B2B in MUs where it's superimpactful, like Lands, Post, Eldrazi, Grixis (the only non-basic land running variants), etc. I don't bring it in otherwise, which is why I consider it a strictly sideboard card. Blood Moon is better in that it enables our lands to keep functioning while screwing many opponents over. Of course, it's worse in that the lands still tap for mana so if e.g. Eldrazi have any source of colorless (typically Grim Monolith), it suddenly might not hamper them much at all while they still aren't casting anything under B2B. In short, the two have different strengths but in this deck, I have a hard time seeing B2B as more than a sideboard card. B2B is something you don't plan around as much but rather something you just slam down in middle of a normal game and suddenly your opponent can't cast spells.

I forgot - B2B + Tabernacle. HMMMMMMM

frustanani
05-20-2019, 03:56 AM
Frogger42 interpretation on blue chalice deck is very interesting
I like a lot using Crucible of Worlds along with Mox Diamond, Wasteland & Trophy Mage
Now that there is Karn, the Great Creator do you think it can replace some Trophy Mages ?
I'm quite interested in Narset, Parter of Veils too

What about something like this ?

4 Mox Diamond
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
4 Wasteland
4 Island
1 Snow-Covered Island
1 Polluted Delta
1 Flooded Strand
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Quicksand
1 Faerie Conclave
1 Cephalid Coliseum (good with Narset targetting the opponent ... with Crucible too is awesome)
1 Tolaria West
1 Seat of The Synod
1 Academy Ruins (classic 26 lands + 4 Diamond .. otherwise 22 lands + 4 Chrome)

2 Karn, the Great Creator
2 Narset, Parter of Veils
2 Jace, The Mind Sculptor

4 Chalice of The Void
4 Force of Will

4 Looter il-Kor
4 True-Name Nemesis

1 Vendilion Clique (good with Narset)
1 Trinket Mage
1 Trophy Mage
1 Walking Ballista

1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Sword of Fire And Ice
1 Basilisk Collar

(best way to face opponents' Nemesis is giving lifelink with collar to our Nemesis to my view ... 1X cc1 drop is not a big problem even if we want Chalice @1. On a Ballista or Masticore is fun)

Sideboard:
3 Faerie Macabre
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Masticore
1 Thought-Knot Seer (same reason as Vendilion Clique)
1 Misdirection
1 Psionic Blast ( or Rushing River)
1 Blast Zone
1 Karakas (Dark Depth)
1 Reins of Power (Dark Depth)

frogger42
05-20-2019, 05:46 PM
Frogger42 interpretation on blue chalice deck is very interesting
I like a lot using Crucible of Worlds along with Mox Diamond, Wasteland & Trophy Mage
Now that there is Karn, the Great Creator do you think it can replace some Trophy Mages ?
I'm quite interested in Narset, Parter of Veils too

What about something like this ?

4 Mox Diamond
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
4 Wasteland
4 Island
1 Snow-Covered Island
1 Polluted Delta
1 Flooded Strand
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Quicksand
1 Faerie Conclave
1 Cephalid Coliseum (good with Narset targetting the opponent ... with Crucible too is awesome)
1 Tolaria West
1 Seat of The Synod
1 Academy Ruins (classic 26 lands + 4 Diamond .. otherwise 22 lands + 4 Chrome)

2 Karn, the Great Creator
2 Narset, Parter of Veils
2 Jace, The Mind Sculptor

4 Chalice of The Void
4 Force of Will

4 Looter il-Kor
4 True-Name Nemesis

1 Vendilion Clique (good with Narset)
1 Trinket Mage
1 Trophy Mage
1 Walking Ballista

1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Sword of Fire And Ice
1 Basilisk Collar

(best way to face opponents' Nemesis is giving lifelink with collar to our Nemesis to my view ... 1X cc1 drop is not a big problem even if we want Chalice @1. On a Ballista or Masticore is fun)

Sideboard:
3 Faerie Macabre
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Masticore
1 Thought-Knot Seer (same reason as Vendilion Clique)
1 Misdirection
1 Psionic Blast ( or Rushing River)
1 Blast Zone
1 Karakas (Dark Depth)
1 Reins of Power (Dark Depth)

I like how the list starts out, but you have a lot of 1x cards and no real filtering to find them.
With Karn out, I'd try to drop the Trophy Mage toolbox and add Karn instead. Then swap Trophy Mage with I'm not too sure what, something else that's blue. But to be fair, I'm not sure how much difference that extra 1 mana is going to be when you're try to Karn for your Crucible.

Depending on your build, Search for Azcanta can be really good, probably better than Narset (much easier to cast and hard to kill). I'd probably cut all these:

1 Vendilion Clique
1 Trinket Mage
1 Trophy Mage
1 Walking Ballista

1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Sword of Fire And Ice
1 Basilisk Collar

add 2 more Karn, 2-3 Search for Azcanta, and maybe a set of Thought-Knot Seer. I actually like TKS better than True Name - it's a little heftier, really beats up on all combo, and is easier to cast. But you can probably run both.

Good luck!
-Frogger

Eldariel
05-21-2019, 09:04 AM
Honestly, with NewKarn I could honestly see Cloud of Faeries back in the list to reliably accelerate Karn out turn 2 with a sol land. Though it's a bit of a low impact card otherwise, doubly so with so little equipment so perhaps not. I'm pretty sure there's something there though and NewKarn is a house so we should probably try and accommodate it while we can. Perhaps there's indeed a blue prison deck that could be top tier out there somewhere. Finding the exact configuration is quite tricky though, especially if you want to use FoW (which you probably do).

frustanani
05-22-2019, 05:23 AM
add 2 more Karn, 2-3 Search for Azcanta, and maybe a set of Thought-Knot Seer. I actually like TKS better than True Name - it's a little heftier, really beats up on all combo, and is easier to cast. But you can probably run both.
Good luck!
-Frogger

You are right but the blue count with just
2 or 3 or 4 [cards]Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Force of Will
2 Search for Azcanta
4 Looter Il-Kor
4 True-Name Nemesis
would be too low.

Honestly, with NewKarn I could honestly see Cloud of Faeries back in the list to reliably accelerate Karn out turn 2 with a sol land. Though it's a bit of a low impact card otherwise, doubly so with so little equipment so perhaps not. I'm pretty sure there's something there though and NewKarn is a house so we should probably try and accommodate it while we can. Perhaps there's indeed a blue prison deck that could be top tier out there somewhere. Finding the exact configuration is quite tricky though, especially if you want to use FoW (which you probably do).

With cc4 mana spells (not 2UU) Cloud of Faeries shines.
Karn, the Great Creator and The Antiquities War appear to me to be the better cc4 spells for this deck,
with Umezawa's Jitte too, Walking Ballista and Thought-Knot Seer

Maybe ?

2 Trinket Mage
2 Walking Ballista

3 True-Name Nemesis or Vendilion Clique
3 Thought-Knot Seer

2 Snap
3 Cloud of Faeries

4 Chalice of The Void
4 Force of Will

3 Karn, the Great Creator which is a sort of Cunning Wish for us

4 Narset, Parter of Veils
4 Day's Undoing

3 Chrome Mox
2 Mox Diamond
2 Jeweled Amulet I actually like this card turn 1

5 Island
1 Cephalid Coliseum
1 Seat of The Synod
3 Prismatic Vista (the new fetch for basics)

4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
1 Wastes

Sideboard:

1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Pithing Needle
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Grindstone
1 Painter's Servant
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Trinisphere
1 ...

frustanani
05-22-2019, 05:31 AM
https://mythicspoiler.com/mh1/cards/fieryislet.jpg
this is nice with crucible of worlds

frogger42
05-23-2019, 03:39 PM
http://www.magicspoiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Bazaar-Trademage.png?x96163

Also good with Crucible of Worlds.

TLK
05-23-2019, 04:36 PM
This guy fits in to the old Sea Stompy builds nicely.

https://media-dominaria.cursecdn.com/avatars/thumbnails/273/658/200/283/636942318562943965.png

Parcher
05-23-2019, 08:47 PM
This guy fits in to the old Sea Stompy builds nicely.

https://media-dominaria.cursecdn.com/avatars/thumbnails/273/658/200/283/636942318562943965.png

With Looter it makes a UG or UR Madness Aggro build very interesting

Tomb, Mox, Bazaar, discard Rootwalla, Vengevine.

frustanani
05-24-2019, 05:23 AM

Hollow One is interesting too. Very interesting. Cost 3 after Looter activation or none after Bazaar.
Now with the new fetchland for basics, we could think of Ug Maddness Stompy with a manabase like this or similar ?

4 Chrome Mox
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Prismatic Vista
1 Forest
1 Tropical Island
2 to 4 Island
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors

to be able to cast from hand the Basking Rootwalla or Vengevine even from hand

Eldariel
05-24-2019, 09:10 AM

Honestly, I like the look of that but it feels really inconsistent. You need to have it all in your hand and the card is just plain card disadvantage if you don't. If the deck had more means to generate meaningful card advantage or utilise the graveyard or the discard effects, it would be better, but as it stands, 3 mana is a lot for a one-shot discard effect in a deck using discard and "discard a card" is a lot in a deck that doesn't use the discard or the graveyard. Though if it's the last card in your hand, it's just a 3/4 flyer for 2U and mill 2, which is fair - but you generally want to jam your 2Us on turn 1-2, not turn 4-5.

UG is likely the best home for it, indeed, but how to build the redundancy and reliability into the support frame is a good question. Certainly, you need more discard outlets and if you want to run Forces and Rootwallas, your blue-count and Chalices will conflict with the plan. If you don't run Chalices, the Stompy shell will lose a lot of its value, much of which is in dropping early Chalices, and if you don't run Forces, you lose one of the big advantages of running blue in the first place. Also, these creatures are all ground pounders that can't get past Gurmag, which can be a tad annoying.

Parcher
05-24-2019, 11:15 AM
The only points I would disagree on are that the deck is concerned with card advantage. Never has been. It is concerned with card quality. And very often I would happily discard a bunch of dead cards to draw two. Especially in conjunction with Sea Drake. And that ground creatures are a concern. If they dont have a big threat, the attacks are valid. If they do, we only get our ground guys through casting the evasive ones. So I'm happy to have blockers for Gurmag while my fliers get through.

The inconsistency, both with color in casting and with Blue count, as well as Bazaar being sketchy at best Turns 1-2, are very valid concerns. I'm just trying ideas. A UR burn version with Red Madness also seems interesting. Though way harder on color requirements

Hollow One ignores the color requirements, and is a much easier swap. Reminds me of CoF+Illusory from back in the day. Less harsh restrictions, but also less powerful. 1/1 flier and a 4/4 flier vs a 3/4 flier and a 4/4 vanilla.

frogger42
05-24-2019, 04:04 PM
Honestly, I like the look of that but it feels really inconsistent. You need to have it all in your hand and the card is just plain card disadvantage if you don't. If the deck had more means to generate meaningful card advantage or utilise the graveyard or the discard effects, it would be better, but as it stands, 3 mana is a lot for a one-shot discard effect in a deck using discard and "discard a card" is a lot in a deck that doesn't use the discard or the graveyard. Though if it's the last card in your hand, it's just a 3/4 flyer for 2U and mill 2, which is fair - but you generally want to jam your 2Us on turn 1-2, not turn 4-5.

UG is likely the best home for it, indeed, but how to build the redundancy and reliability into the support frame is a good question. Certainly, you need more discard outlets and if you want to run Forces and Rootwallas, your blue-count and Chalices will conflict with the plan. If you don't run Chalices, the Stompy shell will lose a lot of its value, much of which is in dropping early Chalices, and if you don't run Forces, you lose one of the big advantages of running blue in the first place. Also, these creatures are all ground pounders that can't get past Gurmag, which can be a tad annoying.

I agree with this assessment of Trademage - 1. It's not amazing in a bubble. You want some GY shenanigans to go with it. Crucible seems good, but there've gotta be other things that'll work well (there are no viable blue flashback cards, madness seems hard to cast off Trademage).

2. I don't want to splash another color to get card advantage from the GY. Even the aforementioned Hollow One, which seems really really great with this, fights the slots in the deck that need to be blue for Force of Will. I'm not sure there's too much room for non-blue cards that want to pitch to Trademage. That said, I'm still going to run it. I think it's probably good enough as a card disadvantage looter. Also keep in mind you're losing card advantage to Mox and Force, and if Force is the last card in your hand, it can makes some plays awkward.

Eldariel
05-24-2019, 04:33 PM
That's the part that worries me, the deck already has a lot of card disadvantage and I really don't want any more. The worst match-ups are those control decks that try to 1-for-1 you and have artifact removal for that very reason: if they get to actually do it, we'll run out of gas real quick and all the looting in the world, while nice, doesn't help if we don't have anything in our grip. Now, we do have great card advantage effects too: Trinket Mage/Trophy Mage, JTMS, SoFI are all solid effects that lead to more cards in hand but only Jace is really unfettered in that regard, and it's the one the fewest builds are running, it's the one that comes down the latest and it's the one that least has synergy with the beatdown plan. Thus, we can't afford too much more card disadvantage and while indeed, Bazaar Mage is not CDA if you have 0 cards in hand, you generally don't want to rush out your FoWs but to keep them for the important stuff so in that sense, there's awful synergy there.

The only good blue flashback card is Deep Anal and it's probably not quite what we want here, if not a bad card as such. It's the only one I'd consider running at any rate, particularly if adding even more discard to the deck. 1U for 2 cards for "free" is a solid rate and the damage isn't that relevant as long as we are the beatdown.

Lava Snacks
05-24-2019, 05:06 PM
Deep Anal

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/012/834/manfaceaua.jpg

Final Fortune
05-25-2019, 08:07 AM
Between this and Lesser Masticore I'm starting to think Deep Anal is getting a lot more attractive in Legacy, the new proliferate sword also looks bonkers with Ballista.

Eldariel
05-25-2019, 04:25 PM
Between this and Lesser Masticore I'm starting to think Deep Anal is getting a lot more attractive in Legacy, the new proliferate sword also looks bonkers with Ballista.

Sadly this deck has traditionally had few ways to use the ProfSword and SoFI will probably remain better (card and removal is just a superb package). ProfSword could be an interesting build-around and obviously UW is a great combo against Stoneblade and Miracles. The deck could run like Ballista, Jace, Hangarback, Jitte at least as cards that care about Proliferate. Chalice would be cool if you could drop it at 0 and Proliferate to 1 but as it stands, it would be very situational indeed. Probably a different deck; more Affinityish shell with Ravagers would obviously benefit more of it though there it's so darn expensive...

frogger42
05-26-2019, 11:44 PM

I ran Thrummingbird in a Ballista / PW'er list, and it was kinda cute. I only played one weekly with it so far, but my sense of proliferate is that you need to invest a tonna mana into your board state - 4 for JTMS, 4 for Karn, at least 2 for Ballista and Chalice (Chalice @ 3 is hot vs Sneak and Show). I think proliferate only makes sense when you have 2 or more cards that want more counters, so realistically you've invested 6 mana plus 2 from Thrummingbird (or the new proliferate sword, 5), and at that point, if all this is sticking to the field, I sense you're winning. But that was my quick, one-day assessment of proliferate. I do think you can run a build and test the new equip, that it's worth looking into further.

Plus: Thrummingbird pitches to Force, woot.

Lesser Masticore < Ballista, imo.

EDIT: I really wanted Thrummingbird with Karn, Scion of Urza. Jamming out 5 constructs gives me too much joy in life.

Final Fortune
05-29-2019, 08:29 AM
Tribute Mage is a 2cc version of Trophy Mage that was just spoiled, grabs Jitte, Revoker, Ratchet Bomb, the new Masticore as well as some real techy stuff like Thorn of Amethyst and Defense Grid and other random hate cards from the SB. Anybody else thinking Wizard Stompy?

frogger42
05-29-2019, 09:21 AM
Tribute Mage is a 2cc version of Trophy Mage that was just spoiled, grabs Jitte, Revoker, Ratchet Bomb, the new Masticore as well as some real techy stuff like Thorn of Amethyst and Defense Grid and other random hate cards from the SB. Anybody else thinking Wizard Stompy?

I want to play Patron Wizard something fierce.

Tribute Mage also grabs Thopter Combo. I haven't kept up with my CMC 2 artifacts, so I wonder what else we could grab... Winter Orb (with Tabernacle)...?

If we go almost all creatures, I really like Thorn in the deck. That seems awesome.

Right now I'm running Karn Great Creator instead of silver bullet artifacts, so IDK how I'm going to rebuild the deck. So many options, so few slots... sigh...

EDIT: What I'm thinking is I have 3 bullets for Trophy Mage; Tribute Mage I'd want at least 3 more. And with 4 Chalice (4 Karn?) That makes Force of Will hard to support. Ack

frustanani
05-29-2019, 10:06 AM
With these new toys:
Tribute Mage : https://mythicspoiler.com/mh1/cards/tributemage.html
Mist-Clan Naga : lhttps://mythicspoiler.com/mh1/cards/mistclannaga.html
Could we think of an aggro list with a lot of 2-mana-spells like the following ?

4 Chrome Mox
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
8 Island
2 Seat of The Synod

3 Force of Will
2 Misdirection

4 Cloud of Faeries
1 Phyrexian Metamorph (?) flex slot ...
4 Mist-Clan Naga no matter if you cast it or Ninjutsu him
4 True-Name Nemesis too good to play less copies
4 Trinket Mage
3 Tribute Mage

4 Chalice of The Void
3 Walking Ballista too good to play less copies
2 Phyrexian Revoker (maybe 1?)
2 Sorcerous Spyglass
2 Umezawa's Jitte Who needs a Sword of Fire and Ice if Jitte is connecting ?!

-> 25 blue cards, 22 mana sources and 13 artifacts (excluding mana sources), 25 creatures: should work.
-> all these 13 artifact cards can be played turn 1 from a sol land only.
-> excluding True-Name Nemesis (which requires UU, so not turn 1 unless we have 2 mox and empty our hand), all cards are easy to cast and so we could have the possibility of choosing which one to play: more are the choices available, better is a the deck unless the power level of the cards is little.
-> 4 "Pithing Needle effects" with 3 tutors can be very annoying for any opponent, especially now that I think the number of planeswalkers will increase. I just suppose.
-> Cloud of Faeries ables us to have 4 mana turn 2 from a sol land and you can use them to play a cc4 spell (jitte + equip faerie or 2/2 Ballista) or to play 2 cc2 spells (we had 13) or to exilt opponents' Daze-mode. Cloud of Faeries can do anything you need in this deck. Create an evasive attacker to ninjutsu it, accelerating mana, cycling, pitching ... Just try. It is "a glue" as it has always been. (is Mr Djinn still reading this pages ?)
-> if Mist-Clan Naga "connects" and duplicate himself, could be really strong .. Am I overstimating him ?
-> If you Ninjutsu him bouncing a relevant creature (Cloud of Faeries or a Trinket Mage or a Tribute Mage) you could make a good card advantage/quality. IF ... the clue point is if we manage to "connect" him. I personally see it as a stronger play than the old fashion Mox+SolLand+SeaDrake on turn 1.
-> 18 lands with 4 Chrome Mox which means 38 spells to draw (Mox Diamonds lists have 29-30-31 non mana spells and so 29-30-31 non mana spells) -> less need to filter with bad cards (Looter Il-Kor is itself a very bad card ... it becomes good if a deck is bad or too unstable .. price to pay when you play it: free time walk for your opponent and sometimes even -2 lifes for us). We could still squeeze a tutorable Mask of Memory or use Looter Il-Kor in the flex slots anyway but the need is not (should be not) given from granted too my view.
-> with Tribute Mage we could play other tutorable annoying cards such as Winter Orb, Tsabo's Web, Ratchet Bomb, Thorn of Amethyst etc. and, considering also Trinket Mage -> even Painter's Servant + Grindstone post sideboard (with 7 tutors and 16 mana accelerators would not be a bad plan B)

To my view the presence of Looter Il-Kor is a feedback which tells us if we are playing a bad-built deck ..
.. unless we are using madness/discard mechanics.

Final Fortune
05-29-2019, 03:45 PM
Grim Monolith seems like a solid ramping tool, it's a potential build around card.

frogger42
05-30-2019, 06:39 PM
-> 4 "Pithing Needle effects" with 3 tutors can be very annoying for any opponent, especially now that I think the number of planeswalkers will increase. I just suppose.

-> if Mist-Clan Naga "connects" and duplicate himself, could be really strong .. Am I overstimating him ?
-> If you Ninjutsu him bouncing a relevant creature (Cloud of Faeries or a Trinket Mage or a Tribute Mage) you could make a good card advantage/quality. IF ... the clue point is if we manage to "connect" him. I personally see it as a stronger play than the old fashion Mox+SolLand+SeaDrake on turn 1.
-> 18 lands with 4 Chrome Mox which means 38 spells to draw (Mox Diamonds lists have 29-30-31 non mana spells and so 29-30-31 non mana spells) -> less need to filter with bad cards (Looter Il-Kor is itself a very bad card ... it becomes good if a deck is bad or too unstable .. price to pay when you play it: free time walk for your opponent and sometimes even -2 lifes for us). We could still squeeze a tutorable Mask of Memory or use Looter Il-Kor in the flex slots anyway but the need is not (should be not) given from granted too my view.
-> with Tribute Mage we could play other tutorable annoying cards such as Winter Orb, Tsabo's Web, Ratchet Bomb, Thorn of Amethyst etc. and, considering also Trinket Mage -> even Painter's Servant + Grindstone post sideboard (with 7 tutors and 16 mana accelerators would not be a bad plan B)

To my view the presence of Looter Il-Kor is a feedback which tells us if we are playing a bad-built deck ..
.. unless we are using madness/discard mechanics.

I think your decklist looks fairly good, I'd just question some of the numbers. Like 2 Jitte seems unnecessary. I'd add another Tribute Mage instead. And keep in mind, the deck realistically has no card draw or filtering, so jamming 4x of your best cards is just the way to go. You're only going to natural draw your Mages. Jamming full playsets, and tutoring, are the only reasons a deck like this will see consistency.

I think the Naga Ninja might be the blue version of Goblin Rabblemaster, or more like Hanweir Garrison. It kills in 3 hits, which is pretty hot, and I don't there there are any cards in blue that put that kind of pressure on without serious crippling drawbacks. Playtesting will tell, but Naga I sense could live up to actual play.

I think that's actually a fair assessment of Looter. But depending on how you build, Looter could support your gameplan - if you're going control-ish, it's about the only CMC2 card that'll reasonably provide card filtering (Impulse et al are terrible in a prison deck, you want something that affects the field and has a continuous or repeatable effect). Also Looter has synergy with Jitte and SOFI, which most decks tend to run equip. But I think it is suspect to run Looter, which really doesn't have a power level comparable to Legacy staples, though I'd just note some of the inherent synergies within the deck. If you're going more aggro, something like Warkite Marauder tends to fit your gameplan better.

I also question if Cloud of Faeries has even the power level of Looter. I'd like it with Spellstutter Sprite, but that's about it.

Grim Monolith seems like a solid ramping tool, it's a potential build around card.

I disagree. If you're trying to break Grim Monolith, maybe with Voltaic Key, but otherwise you're spending U2 (tribute mage) and 2 (grim monolith) to get 3 out of it. Doesn't seem like a good tutor target, unless there's something busted going on there.

Final Fortune
05-31-2019, 03:46 AM
I think your decklist looks fairly good, I'd just question some of the numbers. Like 2 Jitte seems unnecessary. I'd add another Tribute Mage instead. And keep in mind, the deck realistically has no card draw or filtering, so jamming 4x of your best cards is just the way to go. You're only going to natural draw your Mages. Jamming full playsets, and tutoring, are the only reasons a deck like this will see consistency.

I think the Naga Ninja might be the blue version of Goblin Rabblemaster, or more like Hanweir Garrison. It kills in 3 hits, which is pretty hot, and I don't there there are any cards in blue that put that kind of pressure on without serious crippling drawbacks. Playtesting will tell, but Naga I sense could live up to actual play.

I think that's actually a fair assessment of Looter. But depending on how you build, Looter could support your gameplan - if you're going control-ish, it's about the only CMC2 card that'll reasonably provide card filtering (Impulse et al are terrible in a prison deck, you want something that affects the field and has a continuous or repeatable effect). Also Looter has synergy with Jitte and SOFI, which most decks tend to run equip. But I think it is suspect to run Looter, which really doesn't have a power level comparable to Legacy staples, though I'd just note some of the inherent synergies within the deck. If you're going more aggro, something like Warkite Marauder tends to fit your gameplan better.

I also question if Cloud of Faeries has even the power level of Looter. I'd like it with Spellstutter Sprite, but that's about it.

I disagree. If you're trying to break Grim Monolith, maybe with Voltaic Key, but otherwise you're spending U2 (tribute mage) and 2 (grim monolith) to get 3 out of it. Doesn't seem like a good tutor target, unless there's something busted going on there.

I don't think 2U + 2 for 3 is how Grim Monolith should be calculated, the bear has value in and of itself and being able to go from 3 to 6 mana lets the deck hit a big bomb. I mean no one complains about Trinket Mage costing 2U for U whenever you fetch Seat of the Synod, and if not Grim Monolith then one of the blue Talismans could be solid ramp and mana fixing as well.

In other news, Watcher for Tomorrow looks good, I'm thinking it could be a Looter replacement?

frustanani
05-31-2019, 05:17 AM
If you're going more aggro, something like Warkite Marauder tends to fit your gameplan better.

Yes, the list was just a draft. I agree: Warkite Marauder is quite a good card running 3 Walking Ballsita and 2 Umezawa's Jitte which I would not play in single copy because is such a key card in some match ups (for example Vial Decks or UBx Delver decks) and if it gets countered or destroyed, I want to have a second one. It is also crucial when we take too much damages from Ancient Tombs.

Cloud of Faeries turn 2 (or turn 1 with Mox) + another spell (with 4 mana even 2 other spells) and Mist-Clan Naga (Ninjutsu) the following turn for example is better than Looter Il-Kor and Mist-Clan Naga the following (less spells played) .. but 2 Looter Il-Kor can be squeezed in anyway. I think 9/10/11 creatures playable with 2 mana only is quite a good number to be able to connect a Mist-Clan Naga with Ninjutsu as soon as possible if we have it. If we cast him normally (unless turn 1) it would be quite easy for an opponent to set a blocker as far as he does not have any evasive quality.

Maybe ?

4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
4 Chrome Mox *
8 Island
2 Seat of The Synod *

4 Force of Will
4 Chalice of The Void *

4 Cloud of Faeries
2 Warkite Marauder or Spellstutter Sprite or Looter Il-Kor or Stratus Dancer
3 Walking Ballista *
2 Phyrexian Revoker **

4 Mist-Clan Naga
4 True-Name Nemesis
4 Trinket Mage *
4 Tribute Mage **

2 Umezawa's Jitte **
2 Sorcerous Spyglass **

It is 61 .. 1 cart to cut

Sideboard
2 Tormod's Crypt *
2 Winter Orb **
3 Misdirection
4 Painter's Servant **
4 Grindstone *

The Painter's combo should be generally sided in against all non-brainstorm decks :
Death and Texas, Humans and Maverik (playing Chalice is a waste of time and nearly useless)
Dragon Stompy, Eldrazi, Affinity... Chalice decks in general
Lands, Loam and Dark Depth
... Show and Tell ... why not ?!

frogger42
05-31-2019, 05:20 PM
In other news, Watcher for Tomorrow looks good, I'm thinking it could be a Looter replacement?

I actually don't think it's any good. It seems comparable to Elvish Visionary, and is probably worse. Looter at least is unblockable and connects with Jitte while it's looting. And it generates card filtering every turn.

Eldariel
06-10-2019, 04:22 PM
I think it's time to seriously consider a full-on artifact/blue stompy shell too (in addition to the current prison shell TAW deck). Urza seems like yet another card that'd be very strong in such a shell and there's such a wealth of cards that are both, blue spells and artifacts that I think FoW would be very much so playable there. Easy Chalices, choice of Mages (now we have real selection between Trophy Mage, Trinket Mate and Tribute Mage), some Ballistas, perhaps some utility PWs, probably some Karns and probably TAW if the artifact count is high enough. The end of the Saga is just such a brutal beating that it acts as a finisher and a card advantage engine all in one. Compared to Steel Stompy the curve would be higher and the deck would be much heavier on card advantage (like all the potential blue cards á la Mages, Whirler Rogue, Urza, etc. are immediate card advantage) and since it seems less tricky and would rely more on power than synergies, anti-artifact effects á la Null Rod would be less brutal (though any deck that runs artifact lands and moxen would of course hate to see the card).

frustanani
06-12-2019, 10:50 AM
I think it's time to seriously consider a full-on artifact/blue stompy shell too (in addition to the current prison shell TAW deck). Urza seems like yet another card that'd be very strong in such a shell and there's such a wealth of cards that are both, blue spells and artifacts that I think FoW would be very much so playable there. Easy Chalices, choice of Mages (now we have real selection between Trophy Mage, Trinket Mate and Tribute Mage), some Ballistas, perhaps some utility PWs, probably some Karns and probably TAW if the artifact count is high enough. The end of the Saga is just such a brutal beating that it acts as a finisher and a card advantage engine all in one. Compared to Steel Stompy the curve would be higher and the deck would be much heavier on card advantage (like all the potential blue cards á la Mages, Whirler Rogue, Urza, etc. are immediate card advantage) and since it seems less tricky and would rely more on power than synergies, anti-artifact effects á la Null Rod would be less brutal (though any deck that runs artifact lands and moxen would of course hate to see the card).

You mean something like this ?

https://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=30770&iddeck=261712

1 Sai, Master Thopterist
1 Walking Ballista
2 Etched Champion
4 Master of Etherium
4 Ornithopter

4 Force of Will

4 Thoughtcast

4 Ensoul Artifact
4 The Antiquities War

4 Karn, Scion of Urza

4 Chalice of the Void
4 Mox Opal

1 Academy Ruins
1 Inventors' Fair
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Seat of the Synod
7 Island

Blue cards are 21 ... quite a little number ... but at least runs mox opal which does not need a blue card to pitch

Tokay
06-16-2019, 03:04 PM
Just to give a report. sorry for my english . i will check this during the week

4:2 something more that 40 players
Deck list

Main:

4 Ancient Tomb
4 Chrome Mox
4 City of Traitors
1 Seat of the Synod
10 Snow-Covered Island

4 Chalice of the Void
4 Force of Will

3 Looter il-Kor
4 Sphinx of Foresight
3 Nimble obstrutionist
3 Trinket Mage
3 True-Name Nemesis
2 Walking Ballista
3 Sea drake
3 Mist-Syndicate Naga

3 Sword of Fire and Ice
2 Umezawa's Jitte

total:60

Sideboard :

3 Back to Basics
2 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Pithing Needle
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Tormod's Crypt
2 Misdirection
1 Rushing river
1Tormod’s crypt
2 Venser
1 Aether Spell bomb

ELdrazi
game 1
Eldrazi Aggro : round 1 eldrazi start with chalice 1, i cast a looter
round 2 Matter Reshaper ...ninjizu Mist-Syndicate Naga. 3 damage
round 3 eldrazi cast jitte but did't have enough mana to equip.eldrazi did'nt attack. Mist-syndicate went in for 6.i did't play spell to keep 3 mana open
round 4 eldrazi equiped jitte and attack. i did a stifle with nimble . mist sindicate (4 ) went in to finish the job
game 2 or 3 (not sure). if i rember well back to basic and jitte did the job .

Elf combo. here i lose really badly
never played vs elf combo (my wife let's my go to a tournament every 4-5 month's)

lose game 1 (wrong use of force and mulligan to 5)
lose game 2 (i did't think that elf could side in abrut decay to kill my jitte)

mana less dredge

game 1 lost
game 2 boujuka bog + sea drake , did the job .tormod's cript put the gravestone on this slower dredge (i forgot to side out force of will.rusty)
game 3 boujuka bog , no sea drake but the naga did the job

snow and tell + sneck attack

game 1 fast win .
game 2 lost
game 3 chalice + force and a fast clock make me win. naga forever

strange dredge-reanimator mixture. red-black with blood ghast , carrion feeder creature , bridge from below .

game 1. i just win. old fast stompy stile.
game 2 . did the wrong side (+ 3 back to basic) and pay for it
game 3. side ok .boujuka did something but not enough to stop it. no sea drake (no up and down of boujuka) no trinket to find find tormod's cypt . some wrong play. game lost

miracle
i win game 1 and 3 thx to chalice (game 1 i used a couple of nimble to stifle lands....don't know if this small mana denial was worth it. game 3 i keep a hand with a couple of force and i wait for the chalice ).

to change : main + 1 looter - 1 sphinx
side -1 Aether Spell bomb . maybe a Grafdigger's Cage

the naga+ looter couple did a great job i
sphinx is still so and so
nimble some time shine sometime it is just a bit too weak
looter was always great
truename didn't get a nice match up to shine

Captain Hammer
06-19-2019, 08:39 AM
What if there was a way we could get away with dedicating only 10 total slots to our threat package, put everything else towards disruption, card selection and mana, and still end up with a much much faster clock than traditional Faeirie Stompy lists?

This goal is what led me to this take on the deck...

11 Island
4 Khalni Garden
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
3 Mox Diamond

4 Chalice of the Void
4 Force of Will
3 Misdirection

4 Polymorph
4 Proteus Staff
2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

4 Callous Dismissal
4 Intuition
2 Abstruse Interference
1 Lazotep Plating
1 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer

I only wish there was room to squeeze in a Lightning Greaves or two without hurting the deck’s consistency. But there’s nothing that I am willing to cut. Even the 3 Misdirection are necessary to be able to Intuition for a Misdirection when Misdirection would lead to a blow out in your favor (happens a lot more often than you would think... vs removal, hymn etc).

Just some highlights. Protues Staff lets you stack your entire deck and put Jace on top if you somehow end up with both Emrakuls in your hand. Lazotep hard counters Tendrils of Agony. And most importantly, Saheeli gives Emrakul haste by making a token that doesnt have summoning sickness into a copy of Emrakul.

frogger42
06-21-2019, 12:11 PM
What if there was a way we could get away with dedicating only 10 total slots to our threat package, put everything else towards disruption, card selection and mana, and still end up with a much much faster clock than traditional Faeirie Stompy lists?

This goal is what led me to this take on the deck...

11 Island
4 Khalni Garden
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
3 Mox Diamond

4 Chalice of the Void
4 Force of Will
3 Misdirection

4 Polymorph
4 Proteus Staff

4 Callous Dismissal
4 Intuition
2 Abstruse Interference
1 Lazotep Plating

I only wish there was room to squeeze in a Lightning Greaves or two without hurting the deck’s consistency. But there’s nothing that I am willing to cut. Even the 3 Misdirection are necessary to be able to Intuition for a Misdirection when Misdirection would lead to a blow out in your favor (happens a lot more often than you would think... vs removal, hymn etc).

Just some highlights. Protues Staff lets you stack your entire deck and put Jace on top if you somehow end up with both Emrakuls in your hand. Lazotep hard counters Tendrils of Agony. And most importantly, Saheeli gives Emrakul haste by making a token that doesnt have summoning sickness into a copy of Emrakul.

Karn fetches out Proteus Staff, too. Why two Emrakuls if you can stack JTMS on top and Brainstorm the singleton back in? Also Mox Diamond is vicious card disadvantage without access to Crucible or Loam.

I suspect Saheeli is stronger than Abstruse and Lazotep (also Abstruse doesn't pitch to Force/Misdirection).

Captain Hammer
06-21-2019, 03:21 PM
Karn fetches out Proteus Staff, too.
Yes it does. Would work well in a more controllish shell. The build I posted is more aggro, akin to Faerie Stompy and Karn is a bit slower than what I was going for.

I suppose moving a Proteus Staff and a Chalice to the sideboard and replacing 2 Intuition with KGC is worth trying. KGC could also grab Ornithopter/Phyrexian Revoker/Phyrexian Metamorph from the sideboard when you need a creature.

Probably worth testing this build (I will need to work on getting some KGC and a Lattice first)...

11 Island
4 Khalni Garden
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
3 Mox Diamond

4 Force of Will
3 Misdirection
3 Chalice of the Void

4 Karn, the Great Creator
4 Polymorph
3 Proteus Staff

4 Callous Dismissal
2 Intuition
2 Abstruse Interference
1 Lazotep Plating

Sideboard:
1 Chalice of the Void
1 Trinisphere
1 Mycosynth Lattice
1 Proteus Staff
1 Ornithopter
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Swiftfoot Boots
Other silver bullets (Tormod's Crypt, Relic of Progenitus, Phyrexian Metamorph etc)

This version sure looks like it could do quite well in Modern as well with a few changes.

Why two Emrakuls if you can stack JTMS on top and Brainstorm the singleton back in? Also Mox Diamond is vicious card disadvantage without access to Crucible or Loam.

Because the JTMS route is too slow/takes too long, and only works with Proteus Staff, not Polymorph. Mox Diamond is no worse than Chrome Mox in terms of Card Disadvantage.

I suspect Saheeli is stronger than Abstruse and Lazotep (also Abstruse doesn't pitch to Force/Misdirection).
Yes it probably is, however, the manabase cannot support Saheeli. A more controllish list that doesn't play City of Traitors/Ancient Tomb could go this route (perhaps MUC), but such a list wouldn't be able to support Chalice of the Void either.

frogger42
06-22-2019, 12:38 PM
Because the JTMS route is too slow/takes too long, and only works with Proteus Staff, not Polymorph. Mox Diamond is no worse than Chrome Mox in terms of Card Disadvantage.

Mox Diamond is only mana-fixing / mana accel in this list. It doesn't add mana sources - so you can effectively cut all Diamonds and not affect the manabase (since they don't actually count as lands). That gives you access to more gas in this deck. I had the same awkwardness in an As Foretold deck.

I suspect going all in on the Emrakul plan leaves you susceptible to certain kinds of disruption - IDK, Ensnaring Bridge, The Abyss, other things I can't think of. Venser, O Ring effects. I think it's a good idea to diversify your threat package, such as through Karn GC and more JTMS. I hate having one type of threat esp in a prison deck. If my opponent can efficiently answer that, then it's a real struggle to win a game.

Eldariel
10-11-2019, 03:23 PM
While I'm not sure it's enough to push the deck into the limelight, Stonecoil Serpent is another nice X-drop to go with Trinket Mage. It's "only" 3/3 for 3 but you can easily upcast it for a lot and while it does die to an awful lot of removal (Bolt and Abrupt Decay/Assassin's Trophy are the only ones I can think of that don't kill it regularly), it's a nice big fat body to fetch up with the Mage. Of course, we're at the point where the Mages themselves are kinda anemic and what we'd really need is some great 0-1 or X-mana equipment for them to fetch but still, between Walking Ballista, Hangarback Walker and Stonecoil, the creature toolbox for Trinket Mage is getting quite decent.

frogger42
03-24-2020, 12:48 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Oko in this thread.

Captain Hammer
10-29-2020, 10:46 AM
Several modal double faced cards seem quite good in this deck

Glasspool Mimic
Jwari Disruption
Umara Wizard

All solid ways to improve the decks mana consistency without risking mana flood.

frogger42
02-15-2021, 01:32 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Oko in this thread.

Still hold true to that.

Glasspool mimic is amazing with Thought-Knot Seer

Clark Kant
02-15-2021, 09:53 PM
Still hold true to that.

Glasspool mimic is amazing with Thought-Knot Seer

And both Chalice and Hullbreacher are solid against the upcoming delver dominanted Oko free meta. Excited to see if this deck can finally put up some results.

Hullbreacher is an amazing addition to the Narset Days Undoing Karn lists, and Mimic can copy it to make your opponent require multiple removal spells.

Tokay
03-21-2021, 05:37 PM
Several modal double faced cards seem quite good in this deck

Glasspool Mimic
Jwari Disruption
Umara Wizard

All solid ways to improve the decks mana consistency without risking mana flood.

Nice cards. I would like to be able to choose between land and spell (Jwari Disruption is the card that i prefer) but i really hate that the land come in to play tapped.

Now i'm using this deck . Looter and sphinx help a lot as mana /hand fixer. Dismember and Brazen B. are there to gain time. Cloudkin Seer is a new add and i'm still not sure: a smaller mulldrifter that fit the mana curve.

Main:

4 Ancient Tomb
2 Brazen Borrower
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Chrome Mox
4 City of Traitors
2 Cloudkin Seer
2 Dismember
4 Force of Will
3 Looter il-Kor
2 Mist-Syndicate Naga
2 Sea Drake
1 Seat of the Synod
10 Snow-Covered Island
3 Sphinx of Foresight
3 Stratus Dancer
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
2 Trinket Mage
3 True-Name Nemesis
2 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Walking Ballista

Sideboard:

1 Aether Spellbomb
3 Back to Basics
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Misdirection
2 Mystical Dispute
1 Pithing Needle
2 Sorcerous Spyglass
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Venser, Shaper Savant

FTW
03-22-2021, 05:38 PM
And both Chalice and Hullbreacher are solid against the upcoming delver dominanted Oko free meta. Excited to see if this deck can finally put up some results.

Hullbreacher is an amazing addition to the Narset Days Undoing Karn lists, and Mimic can copy it to make your opponent require multiple removal spells.

I like this direction. Emry Stompy already does something like it, but Faerie Stompy can do it with Days instead of Echo, without taking the same artifact and GY hate.

Midgame Sea Drake can return spell lands to use as spells. Interesting.

//Artifacts: 8
4 Chrome Mox
4 Chalice of the Void

//Planeswalker: 4

//Spells: 10
4 Force of Will
4 Day's Undoing
2 Jwari Disruption

//Creatures: 20
4 Looter Il-Kor
4 Hullbreacher
4 Sea Drake
2 Glasspool Mimic
2 Brazen Borrower
4 Sphinx of Foresight

//Lands: 18
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
10 Island

//Sideboard: 15
1 Mycosynth Lattice
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Liquimetal Coating
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Trinisphere
2 Dismember
2 Mystical Dispute
1 Back to Basics

Redundant copies of Day's Undoing are offset by outlets like Chrome Mox, FoW, Looter to pitch dead cards. Sphinx also helps fix the opening hand.

Karn can fetch equipment, instead of having multiple equipment main.

Spending 10 on Karn+Lattice is one of the most broken things to do with the HullDay mana. This deck can do it and protect with counters.

Captain Hammer
03-30-2021, 12:25 PM
Multiple Choice seems like an autoinclude in this deck.

https://i.redd.it/bn6xzdfns6q61.png

frogger42
04-04-2021, 08:36 PM
I like this direction. Emry Stompy already does something like it, but Faerie Stompy can do it with Days instead of Echo, without taking the same artifact and GY hate.

4 Chrome Mox
4 Chalice of the Void

4 Force of Will
4 Day's Undoing
2 Jwari Disruption

4 Looter Il-Kor
4 Hullbreacher
4 Sea Drake
2 Glasspool Mimic
2 Brazen Borrower
4 Sphinx of Foresight

4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
10 Island

1 Mycosynth Lattice
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Liquimetal Coating
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Trinisphere
2 Dismember
2 Mystical Dispute
1 Back to Basics

Redundant copies of Day's Undoing are offset by outlets like Chrome Mox, FoW, Looter to pitch dead cards. Sphinx also helps fix the opening hand.

Spending 10 on Karn+Lattice is one of the most broken things to do with the HullDay mana. This deck can do it and protect with counters.

I feel that Faerie Stompy is very much overpowered by Karn/Echoes. I don’t see any reason to run F Stompy at this point.

Tokay
04-05-2021, 03:38 AM

4 Chrome Mox
4 Chalice of the Void

4 Force of Will
4 Day's Undoing
2 Jwari Disruption

4 Looter Il-Kor
4 Hullbreacher
4 Sea Drake
2 Glasspool Mimic
2 Brazen Borrower
4 Sphinx of Foresight

4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
10 Island

1 Mycosynth Lattice
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Liquimetal Coating
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Trinisphere
2 Dismember
2 Mystical Dispute
1 Back to Basics

Maybe arcane denial could find a home here

arcane denial

or in a deck with Hullbreacher , Chalice of the Void and Chrome Mox

arcane denial on your own chrome mox could be a way to draw cards
arcane denial when Hullbreacher is on the board could be better that counterspell
arcane denial when chalice is set to one probably don't give any cards advantage to the opponent

and :

Cephalid coliseum

1x just for fun

Tokay
11-07-2022, 01:42 AM
I'm trying some of the new cards on a classic faerie stompy list.

Suspicius Stowaway (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=534846) : is a bit better of looter il-kor. (Could block ). The night and day stuff is awful but i will try to live with it.

otawara the soaring city (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=551785): is quite good .

I'm still thinking on bridge lands like mistvault bridge (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=522325) (with engineered explosive in main) and aether channeler (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[aether]+[cha]).

Captain Hammer
12-06-2022, 02:49 PM
Wotc needs to print some powerful blue, white and green initiative creatures if they want to make Fairy/Merfolk Stompy, Curse/Rogue/Zombie Stompy and Beast/Dino Stompy into viable decks again.