PDA

View Full Version : 5th at Face @ Face

Raptor
03-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Hello Sourcers,
I've taken my new list of Baked Fish to a local tournament of 46 people.

Here's it is:
4 Wasteland
4 Mutavault
4 Tundra
3 Island
5 Blue Fetches

4 Cursecatcher
4 Silvergill Adept
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Merrow Reejerey
2 Merfolk Sovereign
3 Sejiri Merfolk

4 Daze
4 Standstill
4 Aether Vial
4 Force of Will
3 Sword To plowshares

Sideboard
2 Kira, great class spinner
3 Spell pierce
1 Sword to plowshares
3 Path to exile
3 Disenchant
3 Relic of progenitus

I'm considering for a next tournament to use Jotun Grunt instead of Relic of progenitus. I missed hibernations A LOT so I'll probally run 2-3 next time too and I might replace Spell pierce for pithing needle. My team mates and I are considering stifle in the main too.

So, for the tournament, it was 6 rounds.

Round 1 :
Enchantress with a really nice opponent named David
Game 1, I put Vial, Standstill and can't draw lords, so I beat him down with a Mutavault and Silvergill adept. I didn't draw any Forces when he breaked the standstill and he ORing me some things, and put two Elephant's grass. I manage to draw Sovereign to keep my merfolk unblockable and win.
He didn't play replenish in his version so : +3 Disenchant, +3 Spell pierce, -3 Swords, -3 Daze

Game 2, he is mana screw, I have vial and tempo him with it and wasteland. It ends by turn 4 or 5.
1-0-0

Round 2:
Merfolks with an annoying opponent that I won't name. He tried to crook me several times saying that my fishes don't benefit of his Lord of Atlantis, saying that I don't draw a card if I vial in an adept and trying to gain life of a sword that he countered, 2 turns after that I tried to sword him to try to gain some life.
Game 1 : I Keep an hand with Waste and tundra... got my tundra wasted and can't find another land in 6 turns.
+3 Disenchant, +3 Paths, +1 Swords -3 Lord of Atlantis, -4 Daze

Game 2 : I win with my vial and good fishes

Game 3 : He resolved a jitte equipped and even with my two swords and didn't have enough time to draw in anything good.
1-1-0

Round 3 :
Mighty Quinn with Albert

Game 1 : Vial + lords + mutavault and I wasteland his nonbasic and he got stuck in one land.

+3 Disenchant, +3 Spell Pierce, +2 Kira, -4 Daze, -4 Standstill

Game 2 : I have a good hand with and race him while he tried to swords my things.. he didn't see any mass removal.

2-1-0

Round 4 :
Agaisnt a friend, Nathaniel, with Survival pro Elves

Game 1 :
I chained 3 standstill while having a vial in play. Do some tricks with rejeerey and have an insane board while attacking with my 7/7 Forestwalk (Multavault with my lords + his lord that gives forestwalk to elves). He finally returned his lord to his hand with one of his elf when I mass attacked he chump blocked.. I sword his lord. -1 merfolk, -6 elves.

+3 Spell Pierce, +1 Swords, +3 paths, -4 Daze, -3 Standstill

Game 2 : I go nuts. I do tricks such as :
Lord of Atlantis end of turn with vial.
Vial to 3 -> Merrow Rejeerey.
Tap 2 Play silvergill untap one land.
Tap 2 play Silvergill untap one land
Tap 2 Play lord of atlantis untap one land
Tap one play cursecatchers untap vial
Tap vial -> Merrow Rejeerey

3-1-0

Round 5 :
Against a nice opponent, Fred, with zoo.

Game 1 : Zoo clear the baked fishes on the ground. 2 Chain Lightning, 2 Paths, 2 Grim, 1 Swords in the first 4 turns is more than my fishes can eat.

-4 Daze, -4 Standstill, +3 Path, +1 Sword, + 2 Kira, +3 Relic, -1 Merfolk Sovereign I think

Game 2 : We trade some critters, I get my Kira perfect in time and kill him while he has his lynx, pridemage and that I'm at 4.

Game 3 : I get Force for his relevant removal (lightning Helix), 3 swords, 1 path and clear the way for my fish to finally walk over some mountains instead of islands !

4-1-0

Round 6:
Drew with Mathieu Tremblay.

4-1-1
--->

Top 8
Elves, yet again with ben.
Game 1 : Vial, cursecatcher and standstill... But I didn't draw any juices and didn't find an answer to natural order in my standstill. I did a mistake by not swording his elves that gave mana so he couldn't ramp mana for NO.

+3 Spell Pierce, + 3 Path, +1 Swords, -4 Daze, -2 Standstill, I think -1 Sovereign

Game 2 : I drew with my only two standstills and and found lots of lands, 1 merfolk, 1 FoW and some useless swords... He casted Glimpse of Nature... I was tapped out with two swords in hand, decide to Force it because I didn't want him to draw almost his whole deck even though I knew he probally had Natural order. He casted Natural order and I lost. I wish I had hibernations so all his elves could get rested!

This was my report, I hope you liked it. Hopefully, I will be able to do another one soon !

Davmeister84
03-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Report from the same tournament, also in the 5th to 8th place area.

Here's the list I took to a 47 person Legacy tourney with some Power for first and second.

// Lands
3 [P3] Island (2)
4 [FUT] Grove of the Burnwillows
3 [R] Tundra
2 [R] Volcanic Island
1 [R] Plateau
2 [5E] Plains (1)
1 [B] Mountain (1)
2 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
3 [ON] Flooded Strand
2 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
1 [TSP] Academy Ruins

// Spells
3 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 [TE] Humility
1 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
4 [5E] Brainstorm
3 [BD] Counterspell
4 [IA] Swords to Plowshares
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [ZEN] Punishing Fire
2 [RAV] Lightning Helix
3 [FD] Engineered Explosives
3 [FNM] Fire/Ice
1 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
1 [LRW] Ponder
2 [DIS] Spell Snare

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [5E] Pyroblast
SB: 2 [LRW] Oblivion Ring
SB: 2 [TE] Propaganda
SB: 2 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
SB: 4 [ARB] Meddling Mage
SB: 2 [BOK] Threads of Disloyalty

Round 1: Enchantress (1-0-0)
Game 1: This game goes extremely long, but I Forced his Words of War and he blew his two Replenishs beforehand. He O-Rings my Humility, but I rip the other like a champ and he can't get past his own Moat.
Game 2: Chained 3 Meddling Mages at the start naming Argothian Enchantress, Oblivion Ring, and Solitary Confinement. He had them all in hand. I go the distance off the Mages.

Round 2: Dream Halls Combo (1-1-0)
Game 1: Things go poorly for me when he hits Show and Tell. I try to find a Humility, but no dice.
Game 2: Explosives kills off his 2 Petals, Mage naming Dream Halls, Counterspell/Force/Red Blast stall out his Show and Tell. Mage and burn go the distance.
Game 3: Show and Tell resolves after he Forces my Force and Proggy takes it for him.

Round 3: Reanimator (2-1-0)
Game 1: I counter his various reanimation spells and eventually ride Jace to victory.
Game 2: He blows a chance to take the game by not using Reanimate on his Iona on turn 2 because he feared the Force. He instead Tutors for a second one, which is handled by Meddling Mage naming it next turn. Eventually I drop Humility to make any reanimation pointless and Jace takes it.

Round 4: Merfolk (2-1-1)
Game 1: He had to mull to 4, so it's an easy win for me.
Game 2: We go a hella long time, and in the lategame I've got Jace online and a Humility but I can't find a Fires to save my life. Eventually he kills me.
Game 3: We would have started with 1 minute before time was called, so we drew.

Round 5: ANT (3-1-1)
Game 1: He goes off, but I Helix twice to keep myself out of death range. Jace then goes the distance.
Game 2: I have him on the ropes, he hits the Ad Nauseam and lucksacks the perfect row of draws to go to 1 and combo off.
Game 3: Meddling Mages slow him down and he can't combo off.

Round 6: BGW Rock (4-1-1)
Game 1: I have to mull and get stuck on 2 land for a while. I start to make a comeback, but it's too little too late.
Game 2: Punishing Fire is the MVP here as I keep cleaning his board, Jace eventually takes it.
We're at time at this point, so he scoops me into T8.

Quarterfinals: UWB Landstill
Game 1: Mulling doesn't help me and I get stuck on poor land sources for a good while. He takes it with Factory beats.
Game 2: We take a longass time here, and I almost take him with Fires but he eventually sticks a Counterbalance and my attempts at exploding it fail.