PDA

View Full Version : DrHealex's Guide on how to Fail Miserably when everything is going your way(SCG INDY)

DrHealex
03-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Ah, yes... SSG indy, finally a big legacy event for me to shine in I thought. I was riding a nice high from playing well the prior day with jund to a 10th finish. (lost to ben round 10 with spread 'ems god draws).

I was running countertop with natural order, pridemage's over predators (pridemages were better every time).
Sideboard
2 Spell Pierce
2 Cannonist
1 Rhox War Monk
3 Path to Exile
1 Emperial Archangel
2 Krosan Grip
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Tormod's Crypt

Round 1 - Boros (name)- Nice guy from detriot area
Fairly cut and dry match. I saw counterbalance and top by 3rd turn both games.
Game 1 he only saw mountain and I only saw his burn so put him on burn.
Sideboard: -4 Swords, +2 spell pierce +1 monk +1 emperial archangel.
Game 2 was somewhat similar as the first and he didnt see his white until it was too late, although he could have won it at the end. It came down to him playing Fireblast (me at 4) and not floating his one mana in order to pay for the spell pierce I countered it with.
2-0

Round 2 - Merfolk
Game 1: He got me pretty good. vial first turn, standstill next turn, and then several merfolks (silversigls and LoA) along with a kira. The openers counterbalance lose to.
Sideboard: -4 Counterbalance -1 Sensei's Top, +3 Paths +1 Monk +1 Archangel
Game 2: Creature removal takes the lords outs and He scoops to a resolved natural order.
Game 3: He extracts (didnt see NO game 1, i think he just sideboarded them in) my 2 targets, but my other creatures and removal are enough to get the job done.
2-1

Round 3 (or 4) - Burn
Game 1: Countertop online early, warmonks and co get there..
Sideboard
Game 2: I FoW an early sulfuric vortex(he said they were main though),
2-0

Round 4 (or 3) - Zoo
Game 1:
Sidebaord: -4 FoW -1 Ponder, +3 Paths +1 Archangel +1 Monk
Game 2: I lose... and I don't remember much about it.. according to a life sheet i found.. i just got ran over and didnt do any dmg to him.
Game 3: I get countertop going along with some exalted and a goyf, along with some removal. I stabilize at 5 life and beat and another goyf joins the fight. I'm at 5 life he is at 4 life, I swing with a pair of goyfs and BAM.. he plays HARSH JUSTICE, luckily I was able to daze it twice in order to counter it to avoid that crazy draw. Was a cool game.
2-1

Round 5 - Canadian Thresh (A seeming smart middleaged man that I played the previous day when we were both doing well, and beat then.. hehe)
Game 1: He gets all the tempo with this one on the play. I lose to mongoose and clique.
Sideboard: -3 Daze -1 Ponder,+3 Path +1 Monk
Game 2:
Game 3:
2-1

Round 6 - Reanimator
G1: I get countertop online by turn 3. He never gets going and gets run over by pridemages and a goyf.
Sideboard -4 StP, +1 Empyrial +2 Spell Pierce, +1 Rhox war monk
G2: Gets to be pretty epic. He entombs for inkwell and reanimates it within the first few turns and he gets a couple attacks in and puts me to 4, I am able to fetch my dryad and play my fourth land to natural order for my empyrial. I get a few attacks to put him to dead next attack. he mysticals for perish at the end of my turn, i have a force and a fetch in hand with 4 lands (1 a fetch) in play along with a relic that was late to the party. he goes to play it on his turn so i fetch and pop relic.... and come up with a pridemage. Bummer, but a very fun game.
G3: I have an amazing hand: 2 force, daze, spell pierce, natural order. Top, heirarch and stuck on two lands in play. I allow an entomb to resolve at the end of my turn(my first bad decision) and he gets inkwell again. I figure I have more than enough to counter a reanimaton spell or two. On his turn he plays a reanimate which i force, another reanimate that I force, an exhume which i spell pierce , and another reanimate which resolves. On my turn I natural order for empyrial and a couple turns later he simply perishes and I lose.

Now I have no idea WHY i just didnt let the reanimation spell resolves since all I needed to do was get that 3rd land to natural order to get empryial and use the counters to hold off any perish. And from that moment on, my mind was constantly replaying that match... over and over... and it was eating at me. i could use the excuse that I was tired (i only had 2 hrs sleep) or played to much magic, but at that moment in time I thought it was the best idea... without any doubts.

1-2

Round 7 - 43 Lands (Chris Wolterreck)
Game 1: This game never seemed to go anywhere, i had a counterbalance going blind early then a top. I think I might have hung in this match too long (i never play against 43 lands so I just don't know when to scoop), I do eventually but as it turned out, too late (another mistake... yeah!) He comment later on in the match that I was playing to slow when topping.... which is prolly true... I still had the previous match on my mind... UGH that game! It is STILL eating at my mind as I write this. LoL
Sideboard: -4 FoW -3 Daze -2 Ponder, +2 Relic +2 Crypt +3 Path to Exile +1 Archangel +1 War Monk
Game 2: 3rd Turn Natural Order for Prog without him seeing his glacial chasm.
Game 3: OMG, this game... I should have won this. I made so many play errors... soooo many. I had a first turn heirach, 2nd turn goyf + relic, and beat him down. I would tap relic to remove his land at eot (didnt have a land in my yard) and attacked. I even commented on it the first time i did it. And then did it again... and again after that. I had triple goyf.... attack for like 2 a piece. He gets very low on life, and is forced to play a glacial chasm, he only pays the upkeep once before he is forced to destroy it. He intutions for: ancient grudge, ensnaring bridge(he has academy ruins in play), verdant catacombs?... i give him the grudge (I should have game him the catacombs.. yet another mistake). his upkeep he grudges my relic (i have a tormods crypt in my hand that i didn't play.. god knows why) i tap the relic and don't pop it. He plays the ensnaring bridge. If I had play crypt he most likely wouldn't have gotten the bridge, and if he somehow had... i might have gotten into a situation where there were no cards in graves and could have done a nice swing with my 3 goyfs and plowed my heir to have lethal. I start with the noble heirach beats... and he almost got there/ i have the last of the turns, and don't draw another exalted guy... and attack for 1.
The game ends with him at 1 life, and me at 1 attack away from winning. Regardless of my MANY, MANY errors that game.
1-1-1

Honestly, at this point.. I had completely given up on myself... and the deck has finally given up on me.

Round 8 - U/W Landstill (bad matchup + bad draws)
0-2

Round 9 - Zoo (Bad draws + god draws on his part)
0-2

I would like to appoligize to all top 8 for letting 43lands getting off with only a draw, the deck is sooo boring and takes forever to kill. I am sure anyone else would have split with the lot of yas (hopefully it would have been me) -_-
I also apoligize for any/all spelling errors and the format of this post... my mind isn't exactly linear and generally incoherant :-P

herbig
03-15-2010, 10:44 AM
will finish later....

Don't worry about it bro.

sauce
03-15-2010, 11:22 AM
props on beating merfolk, they are the reason i dont play cb anymore =[

ansset
03-29-2010, 07:54 PM
You boarded in Paths against Lands, taking out Forces. You 100% absolutely did not deserve to win that match from that point on.

DrHealex
03-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Ugh my reply has been eaten twice by the forum. And now I can't remember what all I said..... grrrrrr

It's not about whether I deserved to have won or not, it's that I SHOULD have won given the draws my deck supplied me.

How would you have sideboarded then? Your post is far from helpful. Posting the "correct" sidebaord plan would have certainly been a far more informative post. In hindsight I think I should have droped the swords and dazes and added grips, graveyard removal, archangel.

I am not familiar with the lands matchup at ALL, which is probably painfully obvious.
I thought I was playing against a lands deck where they have lots of manlands as the victory condition, so I figured more exile spells would close the door on that option quite nicely. I don't think there was a point where the FoW would have been useful(probably a lie) since the big threat are the lands that I have little to no answers to deal with them. He got an exploration/manabond down first turn each game (g1 i fowed one and he landed the other one next turn)... and oddly enough I was far from impressed with either one, although loam was kept in check except early on in the first game.

I now know that I have one hell of a punting leg. Perhaps I should join a bad professional footbal team. Also, perhaps I would be better advised to get ALOT more sleep when I play two LONG back to back tournies. I am certainly not as young as I used to be.

MasterC
04-02-2010, 06:34 AM
Being able to force their T1 Manabond pretty often makes the difference between winning and losing, because it's quite an advantage if you have 5 to 6 lands in play T1 instead of just one land.