PDA

View Full Version : Finals Split with Bant CB @ RI Die Hard Games

GrandInquistorTheRealDeal
03-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Just joined the site and rather new to Legacy, so please give me lots of feedback on how to get better.

I'm going to keep this pretty brief:

List:

Creatures (13)
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Rhox War Monk
2 Qasali Pridemage

Lock (15)
4 Counterbalance
4 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Brainstorm
2 Enlightened Tutor
1 Jace, The Mindsculptor

Control (14)
4 Force of Will
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Spell Snare
1 Vedalken Shackles
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Umezawa's Jitte

Lands (18)
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Windsweapt Heath
2 Forest
2 Island
4 Tropical Island
1 Savanah
1 Tundra
1 Academy Ruins

Sideboard:
3 Spell Pierce
3 Faerie Macabre
1 Trygon Predator
1 Krosan Grip
2 Pithing Needle
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Nevinryal's Disk

This thing is not exactly a pile, but needs a lot of tuning. It uses the core goodness and then I went with a bunch of one-of's and enlightened tutor. With all the search, this worked out pretty well, but there's certainly room for improvement (eg, -1 forest +1 plain).

Matches

Round 1, Dredge
G1 - I come out of the gates...like an idiot. He lays a tireless tribe and my non-legacy mind goes: "cephalid breakfast?" I swords it, but don't quite stop the tide of zombies.

G2 - I swords his tribe again, but this time I have Faerie for his discarded Ancient Grudge and Golgari.

G3 - He mulligans and has a slow start. I use faerie and ETutor>Tormod's Crypt to make it slower. I swords away ichorid to prevent bridge action and barely swing in with War Monk + Goyf on the third turn of extra time.

Round 2, Belcher
G1 - I mulligan a 7 that would have gotten there for a six that looks basically the same, but with 1 less land. He gets off a medium size Warrens and I never see a third land to drop War Monk.

G2 - I have FoW for his Xantid and Spell Pierce for his Belcher. Counterbalance locks it up from there.

G3 - I have FoW to hit his Dark Ritual and stall him (2x Belcher, 2x Warrens in hand). He lands Xantid, but I recur explosives to clear it and later his mana. He eventually lands a belcher and then it's a race between my War Monk and his ability to find Spirit Guides, I win.

Round 3, Zoo
G1 - I have swords for Nactl and SDTop into a 2nd one for creature #2. Vedalken Shackles shows up and stalls long enough for me to get a War Monk online.

G2 - I think he mulligan'd. I have double swords again and explosives away something else before setting up CB Lock.

Round 4, Goblins
G1 - He has an early vial, but hits nothing but mountains, so I get a free one.

G2 - I'm doing allright until he ringleaders into double ringleader. I have recursive E.E., but it's too slow.

G3 - A wierd one. I needle his vial, which slows him down considerably. Then it's his instigator staring down my Tarmogoyf. He ends up burning through 2x Pyrokinesis, but we're still at parity as I have Swords and other beasts. He hits mana and drops a Ringleader for Kiki, Siege Gang. I have FoW for the Siege Gang, and have been sandbagging a Swords, but it's starting to get hairy. Time is called and the turn before he's about to blow up, I top into Jitte. We both screw up in that I equip War Monk and he doesn't realize the block with Piledriver. A draw ensues.

Round 5, Draw

Top 8, Belcher (different guy)
G1 - He mulligans and I pick apart his early pressure. I do take forever to find a creature while sitting behind CB/Top, but finally get there.

G2 - He has Xantid and gets off burning wish>Infernal Tutor. He agonizes over getting Belcher or Warrens. Since he wasn't garaunteed the mana to activate Belcher, he gets a Warrens for 12. I have enlightened tutor and 2 mana to stabilize at 7 life. I still need to address Xantid and when I topdeck enlightened tutor #2, I agonize over whether to get E.E. or SDTop to go with my other gas. I end up getting E.E. which ends up being the right call, as it activates my FoW which I needed two turns later. Krosan Grip hits Belcher and I take it home.

T4, Ubg CB
G1 - This was a marathon. I have early explosives and we trade early CB's and Goyfs and Tops and...there were a lot of pernicious deeds on his side. He gets off 2x Ancestral Visions, but I have Academy Ruins going on my side. Eventually I get rid of all of his Dark Confidants and Sowers and Cliques and Factories and beat him down (I myself was down to 2 life at one point) with Jace, Jitte and CB Lock on the table.

G2 - Less of a marathon. He plunks down an Ancestral Visions but has to worry about my early Tarmogoyf. I have Spell Snare for something important and Krosan Grip for his Pernicious Deed (which would have answered my CB). His extirpate isn't relevant enough and I have enough time to set up a 0cc for Ancestral Visions. Beats ensue.

T2, Split with Sam Wang, Legacy Powerhouse and my ride home.

Notes
- The bones of this list were very solid. A quick overview of what was good/bad
Good:
Engineered Explosives, this thing was a house even in the Belcher matchup which surprised me. I'll probably try to find room for #2 in the MD (or a trinket mage)
Tarmogoyf, in online testing Tarmogoyf was always kinda weak and easily answered. However, in these matchups he routinely crowded out enough board space to let me come back or to finish someone off.
Cheap Artifacts in General, along with E.E., Jitte, Crypt, Needle were all solid throughout the day. Especially in faster matchups, not having to worry (or being able to cheat) on color selection was critical.
Bad:
Jace, strangely mediocre. It definitely pulled me ahead when even, but it was usually a dead draw when struggling. Maybe a sideboard card?
Trygon Predator, maybe just my matchups, but he never seemed to be the answer I wanted out of the board.

Nevinryal's Disk was card #75 to give me outs to Iona and Progenitus. Kinda a joke and should probably be Humility, but still a cool card that lets me E.Tutor a 4cc for CB. In general I'm very happy with the list and while I'll probably tinker with it quite a bit, I'm surprised at how versatile this package is.

Thanks to all of Team Car that helped me build the list and lend me cards.