PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Bad deck at a small tournament

xTrainx
03-21-2010, 08:19 PM
So just writing this really because I can, and because it gives me a fuzzy feeling inside.

The List:

x1 Arid Mesa
x1 Scalding Tarn
x1 Misty Rainforest
x1 Marsh Flats
x4 Terramorphic Expanse
x6 Island
x4 Forest
x3 Plains

x2 Lorescale Coatl
x1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
x2 Thada-Adel, Acquisitor
x3 Stoneforge Mystic
x3 Rhox War Monk
x1 Sower of Temptation

x4 Ponder
x4 Brainstorm

x2 Mana Leak
x2 Spell Pierce
x4 Daze
x3 Path to Exile
x1 Swords to Plowshares

x1 Basilisk Collar
x1 Trailblazer's Boots

x1 Sword of the Meek
x3 Thopter Foundry

Sideboard:
x1 Dispel
x2 Mindbreak Trap
x3 Hydroblast
x3 Pithing Needle
x3 Relic of Progenitus
x2 Nature's Claim
x1 Krosan Grip

----------------------
As you can see, it's horrible.

Before the round, I find a guy I sort of know, let him borrow an Enlightened Tutor, then I trade away a Ghostly Prison, Day of Judgement, and 2 Dazes for the Sower of Temptation, Silence, and another card I can't seem to remember.

So anyway...From my crappy notes, this is what I can deduce.

Round 1 - Me against(can't remember his name), playing a Consume Spirit + Coffers deck.
Game 1 - He drops Staff of Domination for cards, and has Chainer's Edict/Innocent Blood to take out my creatures. Builds up a Consume Spirit, and I Daze it away. He plays a Tombstalker, and remarks that he only has two in the deck. The next one, he taps out of Daze range, and I have nothing else.
-1 Sakura Tribe, -2 Path to Exile, -1 Daze, -1 Sower of Temptation, -1 SFM(Stoneforge) -> +3 Pithing Needle, +2 Nature's Claim, +1 Krosan Grip
Game 2 - I playing Pithing Needle, locking down his Staff of Domination that he played. We play draw-go for a while, him killing my creatures, and he tries to do a Consume Spirit, out of Daze range, which is Mana Leaked. I then drop Thopter Combo and take him out
-2 Spell Pierce, +2 Mindbreak Trap
Game 3 - We play back and forth a little, I counter his first Consume Spirit, he Hymn to Tourach's my Sword of the Meek, and then Extirpate's it. I StP his Tombstalker, and time is called. The first two turns are draw-go, I have 4 Counterspell abilities in my hand. Turn 3 he tries for Magus of the Coffers, I answer turn 4 with Rhox War Monk. Turn 5 he tries to fire off a Consume Spirit, which I Mindbreak Trap, and its a draw.

0-0-1

Round 2 - CounterTop Painter's Servant Splash Black?
He was playing some wierd deck, but the kill was in Painter's Servant. Lots of Duals, so I expected Force, but didn't see any with Thada.
Game 1 - He StP's my Rhox War Monk. I play Stoneforge Mystic, grabbing Sword of the Meek, and 'vial' it in. He StP's when I try to swing, and I drop Thada Adel. When I check his deck I find that he's playing Painter, but because he had two of each I decided to take Top. "If I can't afford it, I'll just take yours." The next turn I took Grindstone and play it. Here he made a play error. He draws into Painter, and plays it, naming red. On my turn I activate Grindstone, and win. LOL.
-1 Sakura Tribe, -1 Sower, -1 Daze, -1 Foundry, -1 Lorescale, -1 PtE -> +2 Nature's Claim, +1 Krosan Grip, +3 Pithing Needle
Game 2 - I have a hand full of Stoneforge and Thopter, but he sticks StP on my Stoneforge, and Trinket Mage's into Pithing Needle after I laid down Foundry. The two turns he goes Grindstone, and my Mana Leak and Daze couldn't beat that, and then he lays a land and does Painter, which, again, I couldn't beat. No removal at all in my hand.
Game 3 - I'm stuck without a green mana source, so I can't lay down any beaters, and my two Stoneforge's got StP'd. He then sticks Needle onto SFM, and counters my Sword of the Meek. After that point, he has like 3 tops, and 3 lands, and spends 10 turns or so trying to pull a land out of his deck. Eventually he does, but around the fourth turn of that I pulled my green source and started beating with Rhox War Monk. Around that point he tries for Dark Confidant, which I PtE. About five turns later, he tries to Counterbalance, and meets a Daze. His next Counterbalance meets a Spell Pierce, and he Trinket Mage's for Grindstone. Here he made a play error, and Enlightened Tutor'd for Counterbalance. I think he was worried about my full hand and wanted protection. I let him lay down Counterbalance, and then he tries for EE at 3 - my RWM was making lethal on my turn. I Grip his EE, and have to explain that the Counterbalance will trigger, but he can't Top because its an activated ability. He flips for Balance, and that's the game.

1-0-1

Round 3 - Against UW tempo.
Pretty much outclassed here. He's a good player, and has a solid deck. Didn't really take any notes because I was just outclassed. I remember FoW hitting my Foundries, and StP on my dudes. He rides Jitte to victory both games.

After we play, we trade a little bit, and the guy I lent the Tutor to drops, and sends it back.
I trade: Wrath, Mutavault, Enlightened Tutor, Arid Mesa and get SoFI, 4x Lotus Petal, Scalding Tarn, Mystical Tutor.
If we look at money, I probably lost out, but I was planning on playing Landstill, Merfolk, or some shit with Tutor. I'm trying to finish ANT, and SoFI helps the deck I have right now. That finishes my set of Mysticals, and gets me the Petals I need.

1-1-1

Round 4 - Against Red Stompy
Nice guy, we laugh throughout the game, and at my fail game 1.
Game 1 - First hand, no land. Mull, no land. Mull, no land. Mull, no land. At this point, I decide to just keep and see if I get anything. He does Trinisphere, and then Gathan Raiders, and just fucks me up.
-1 Sakura Tribe, -1 RWM, -2 Spell Pierce, -1 Trailblazer's Boots, -1 Collar -> +3 Hydroblast, +2 Claim, +1 Grip
Game 2 - I get a hand with land, fuck him up with Hydroblast and Claim, drop Thopter Combo turn 4, and ride it home.
Game 3 - I get a hand with land - Island, go. he says Mountain, Chrome Mox Arc Slogger, go. I Brainstorm, and then shuffle away on my turn. On his turn he drops Trinisphere, and I'm forced to pay a three mana Ponder. His turn he goes for Seething Song, and morphs Gathan Raiders and plays Jitte, go. I play a land, and say go. He equips Jitte, swings with Gathan, and then flips the morph, giving him hellbent. I Hydroblast it. I play a Lorescale, followed by another, and he can't pull out any answers.

2-1-1

-----------------

Just short of prizes, I might have gotten into them on tiebreakers if I had a win rather than the draw or the loss.

All in all, I had fun, great times running a shitty deck and seeing it do stuff.

Also saw a guy running lands get fucked over by the guy I played Round 1 by abusing his Staff for life to counteract the Mishra's Factories. Lands guy eventually tops into a Mindslaver, and then Slave's the guy, making his Staff draw him cards, and then using his Skeletal Scrying to kill him. It was funny.

troopatroop
03-21-2010, 08:51 PM
game 3 of round 1, how did you side in two Mindbreak Traps? They're not in the SB you posted.

xTrainx
03-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Oops. I updated my sideboard before I went in, thats just the list that I was testing on MWS.

Cabal_chan
03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Your Round 1 was me with updated Mono Black Control, IBA styled.

Some Guy
03-22-2010, 04:58 PM
was this some sort of budget tournament ? all of those decks made me want to vomit.

:tongue:

Cabal_chan
03-22-2010, 05:01 PM
was this some sort of budget tournament ? all of those decks made me want to vomit.

:tongue:

No. Regular Legacy. There was Survival, Belcher, Goblins, Dragon Stompy, Planeswalker Control, etc.

Not everyone has the money to shell out to buy playsets of Legacy staples, especially now.

Some Guy
03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
yes , thats why everyone I know plays dredge and merfolk.

xTrainx
03-22-2010, 08:45 PM
There was also that lands deck...that guy killing you with your own Scrying was epic. I was laughing when you locked him down with the Staff though.

Cabal_chan
03-22-2010, 09:35 PM
There was also that lands deck...that guy killing you with your own Scrying was epic. I was laughing when you locked him down with the Staff though.

Ugh. I had little way to stop that from happening. Last time, it was Dreadstill. Locked down 2x Mishra's and a Dreadnought till I mutilated it away.

Wraith
03-23-2010, 02:18 PM
yes , thats why everyone I know plays dredge and merfolk.

This was at a local shop, and the Legacy meta there is rather wonky. You've got a few people who take competitive decks, so there's been Survival, CounterTop NOPro, Merfolk, Dredge, Goblins (both R/w and R/b), Landstill, Team America, Dragon Stompy, ANT, Affinity, Dreadstill, and Aggro/Combo Elves. Then there's also a lot of homebrew/jank with people playing stuff like Dark Boros, Sneak Attack deck, MBC (in about 11 different variations), White Weenies, White Not-so-Weenie, No Aggro Loam (the Land Deck they're referring to), and some other such.

The store used to offer a pack just for entry, so a few people would make random decks to play Legacy so that they could at least play and get a pack, however they are changing prize structure from what I understand.

Cabal_chan
03-23-2010, 03:20 PM
This was at a local shop, and the Legacy meta there is rather wonky. You've got a few people who take competitive decks, so there's been Survival, CounterTop NOPro, Merfolk, Dredge, Goblins (both R/w and R/b), Landstill, Team America, Dragon Stompy, ANT, Affinity, Dreadstill, and Aggro/Combo Elves. Then there's also a lot of homebrew/jank with people playing stuff like Dark Boros, Sneak Attack deck, MBC (in about 11 different variations), White Weenies, White Not-so-Weenie, No Aggro Loam (the Land Deck they're referring to), and some other such.

The store used to offer a pack just for entry, so a few people would make random decks to play Legacy so that they could at least play and get a pack, however they are changing prize structure from what I understand.

The prize structure seems to depend on attendance. This last Sunday, there was only ~12 people, so everyone who registered got a pack as a door prize, and the Top 4 got extra. If there's more than 12 people, they give prizes to anyone who goes 3-1. Or something like that.

Parcher
03-23-2010, 03:41 PM
I can seriously see Gearhart playing this deck. It needs more Cloak and Dagger though.

Pernacious_D
04-14-2010, 01:11 AM
I find your lack of goyf inspiring!