PDA

View Full Version : General you would pick in a tournament?

dahcmai
03-28-2010, 11:59 PM
A freind of mine decided to have a Vintage, Standard, and a EDH tournament for a Comic Con (in Novi, Mi if interested) coming up. I told him EDH would be silly since it's a slow format mainly made for fun and you might get angry people in it. I doubt it would be worth the trouble.

Someone is bound to bring a combo deck or one that has such vicious things in it, it's not fun and just pisses people off. I'd rather not have to deal with it.

So what I ask is if there was an EDH tournament with a hell of a prize, what would you expect. We're still considering it.

I expect Azami, Kresh, Zur, and a few other random broken Generals. Though I wonder if people would realize that some of them are plain nasty and might just actually take them out since it's competitive. If I saw Azami out there, I think I'd have to direct most of my attention at it.

What do you guys think? Politics wins or does flat brokeness win? I'm sure someone has played in a competitive EDH game at least once.

mchainmail
03-29-2010, 12:02 AM
There's a lot of ways to stop broken combo decks; running Teeg as your general, or just cards like Mindlock Orb can go a long way towards making things fair.

MattH
03-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Arcum Dagsson is the nut high for spike-iness.

Pastorofmuppets
03-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Thada Adel is pretty busted. By the way, most of the generals that are going to be mentioned in this thread will be mono color or 2 color. In fact, most of them will be blue.
I would totally play "Bryant's Pile of Broken" if given the chance, though.

badjuju
03-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Aggressive combo decks are fairly hard to stop. When you're up against stuff like Azami, Sharuum, Daggson, or storm variants, they move so fast with ramp and are so dense with threats that they can literally just trip over combos cause there are so many synergies and powerful interactions in the decks.

I agree with Teeg being a "stopper", but it's all temporary in the face of an inevitable win. All of a sudden Teeg has a bullseye on his head and then after he's gone, one guy will just go off.

Bryant Cook
03-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Godo for 1vs1.

mossivo1986
03-29-2010, 04:45 PM
lol Well I play Cook's list with the suggested red splash. I actually play Crosis. Crosis is a house.

frenchy-man
03-30-2010, 07:57 AM
obviously vendilon clique, the best general ever !!

gravemind123
03-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Vendilion Clique seems to be strong choice for 1v1. I hear a lot more bitching about it in 1v1 on various forums than I do about Arcum, Zur, Azami or any of the other "broken" generals.

anonymos
03-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Motor City Comic Con or one I haven't heard about yet? Give me details and I'll round up the Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor EDH guys.

Karthas, Arcum Daggson, and Zur are all fairly nasty in multiplayer but can be too slow in duels. General I'd pick depends on whether it's duels or not and how big the prize was compared to entry fee.

umbowta
03-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Arcum Daggson. Without a doubt. It combo's so fast and makes so much mana that you just cant keep him off the table.

What's up with the con anyway? I'm interested in going for sure. NoVI is like 10 minutes from my house.

Benie Bederios
03-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Clique is the strongest... It's almost impossible to stop that bastard. The only real winner against that deck is Akroma, Angel of Fury, but that gal looses against alot of other decks. Akroma is a house against U and some U/x Generals though.

Arcum is strong too, but Clique is far more consistent.

-Benie-