PDA

View Full Version : Budget Storm at RIT

xTrainx
04-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Went to the RIT tournament today, did decently well.

My List:

The Kill
x2 Ad Nauseam
x2 Tendrils of Agony
x1 Empty the Warrens

Protection
x3 Silence
x4 Duress
x1 Vendetta

Search
x3 Ponder
x4 Mystical Tutor
x4 Chromatic Star

Accel
x4 Dark Ritual
x4 Cabal Ritual
x4 Lotus Petal
x4 Rite of Flame
x1 Chrome Mox

Land
x4 Gemstone Mine
x3 City of Brass
x4 Ancient Spring
x4 Sulfur Vent
x2 Swamp
x2 Crumbling Necropolis
x1 Blood Crypt

Sideboard:
x3 Carpet of Flowers
x2 Tormod's Crypt
x1 Krosan Grip
x1 Sadistic Sacrament
x3 Hydroblast
x1 Brain Freeze
x3 Pithing Needle
x1 Shatter

--------------

I get in, and I end up starting with a bye(19 people). About ten minutes later, a guy walks in, and decides to play, starting with a game loss. We play around just for kicks, he's on MUC, and I win 2-1.

Round 1: BYE

1-0-0

Round 2: Against Kurt playing Sligh
Game 1: He leads with Figure of Destiny, and then hits for 8 with Ball Lightning. On my turn 3, I Silence him, and he Fireblasts me in response. I need to drop ADN then, because he had too many cards, and I flip cards down to two life. After some thought, I pick them up. Once I try to go off, I realize I did bad math, and was short by a blue mana(to Mystical then Ponder Tendrils up for GG)
+3 Hydroblasts, +1 Krosan Grip : -2 Necropolis, -2 Rite of Flame
Game 2: He just was straight up faster this game, had me down to 9 life on turn 3. I Silence, and he Fireblasts, with a 2/2 Figure of Destiny on the board. Again, I had to go right then, and flip nothing.

1-1-0

Round 3: Playing Chris, who's on Zoo
Game 1: He drops beaters(Goyf, Knight of the Reliquary), and beats me down to five. I can't seem to remember why, but he was at 22 life. I draw a Chromatic Star, and then Tutor for Tendrils, drawing with the Star. I play mana, and then drop Tendrils for 10 damage. I then drop another for 12, and take the game.
+3 Hydroblast, +2 Crypt, +1 Grip : -2 Duress, -2 Necropolis, -2 Rite of Flame
Game 2: He plays Teeg on turn two, and I Vendetta it. Two turns later, I attempt to go off at 14 life. A little voice in my head says 'Mindbreak Trap', but I go through and drop ADN. He Mindbreaks.
Game 3: He beats, and then turn three I Silence him and go off with ADN for the game.

2-1-0

Round 4: Playing Jake(I think?), against Merfolk
Game 1: He leads with Vial. I play lands, and get triple wasted. I Duress, and see lands, and then another Vial, and Echoing Truth. He has some beaters down, and I mini-Tendrils for 12. Can't pull anything out of my deck.
+1 Grip, +3 Carpet of Flowers : -2 Necropolis, -2 Rite of Flame
Game 2: He does Vial, and doesn't have stuff. He swings with Mutavault twice. I do some Rituals, and then play ADN. He forces it. I play another one, and win.
Game 3: He just has answers, and an incredibly fast hand this one. Nothing I could do.

2-2-0

Round 5: Playing Mike, who's on Black Discard Aggro
Game 1: He leads with Thoughtseize, and takes ADN from my hand. I draw an Empty the Warrens, and storm out into 12 Goblins. He plays Dark Confidant, pass. He draws two(Confidant and turn), plays a Nighthawk, and scoops.
+1 Grip, +2 Crypt(saw Tombstalker with Duress) : -2 Necropolis, -1 Duress, -1 Rite of Flame
Game 2: I do stuff, not expecting countermagic, and walk into a Mindbreak trap. I get a little bit of hope when he flips 5 damage from two Confidants, and then 10 the next turn, but he Gatekeeper's them both away, and swings for the game.
Game 3: I didn't take great notes this one, I think I Silenced, and then went ADN to Tendrils.

3-2-0

After a long deliberation, I make the Top Eight as the 7th seed.
We talk about draws, and then my opponent decides to play.

Round 1: Against Ethan, playing Belcher
Game 1: I have Silences running around, and ADN into the game.
+1 Sacrament, +1 Grip : -2 Necropolis, -2 Duress
Game 2: He plays Goblins, I get two turns to find the combo, and get nothing.
Game 3: I Silenced his first turn, and then he plays Land Grant(showing a Belcher and Seething Song), Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Desperate Ritual. At this point, I should have used my second Silence, but didn't, thinking he would play the Seething Song I saw when he Land Granted(lack of experience). He plays Belcher, and I mentally slap myself, and then Silence. He takes a turn, I take a turn, he takes a turn, I take a turn, think about Mystical Tutoring into ADN, and going for it, but decide against it. He drops two Elvish Spirit Guides, taps his Taiga, and thats game. I check my top cards to see what would have happened off of ADN, and I was ready to kill myself.

All in all, good times, came out in the green zone in terms of prizes, but really should have had the Top 4. They were good games, nice people. I had fun.

Took a Marsh Flats and 5$ credit out of it.

Wraith
04-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Was there playing Dragon Stompy yesterday, and the way the tie breakers worked out for top 8 were rather nutty :laugh:
Glad to see you did so well with budget Storm, hopefully more people will keep showing up.

xTrainx
04-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I'll probably be there next time as well, depends on if my ride is going towards prerelease or not.

Rancorous Fool
04-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Hey, this is Will. What part of town are you in? I am coming from the south wedge.

PWiggan
04-06-2010, 11:47 AM
I too can provide a ride; coming from scottsville area. (Jake, btw).

troopatroop
04-06-2010, 03:26 PM
You Silenced the belcher player turn 1 before he casted anything? Why didn't you wait?

xTrainx
04-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Hey, this is Will. What part of town are you in? I am coming from the south wedge.

I'm in the South Wedge as well; I'll let you know whats happening, thanks for the offer.

@ Troopatroop - Like I said in the post, mainly a lack of experience. My brothers mainly play aggro, so my automatic action is to do that.

troopatroop
04-07-2010, 12:36 AM
alright, well next time, wait until after they cast their rituals to Silence them. As long as they're under 4 mana, you're safe. That way they lose all of their acceleration, and you easily win that game. You had 2 and lost!

Rancorous Fool
04-09-2010, 02:55 AM
Be careful about that play. It is possible for them to play belcher with only 3 mana in the manapool. They declare playing belcher then use spirit guides mana ability to pay for it. Also, if they land grant be sure to look through their hand carefully.

troopatroop
04-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Are you sure that's possible? If so, you should be able to attempt to cast it and then NOT be able to pay for it. If that's true, why can't I attempt to cast my Iona, Fail to, and then Reanimate it? I'm not saying youre wrong, just wondering.

cdr
04-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Are you sure that's possible? If so, you should be able to attempt to cast it and then NOT be able to pay for it. If that's true, why can't I attempt to cast my Iona, Fail to, and then Reanimate it? I'm not saying youre wrong, just wondering.

Er, what? The last thing you do when casting a spell is paying costs, and the first thing is announcing it. If you fail to pay for it, the announcement is rewound and it goes back in your hand.

Rancorous Fool
04-09-2010, 11:33 AM
You announce The Belcher with 3 mana in pool. You pay costs by using existing mana and mana abilities. Spirit guides fall into the mana ability category just like tapping lands. This is why Lion's Eye Diamond needed errata.