PDA

View Full Version : Close as Can Be Competetive Mill

xTrainx
04-07-2010, 09:53 PM
After going through gatherer, the only mill cards I found at all useful were the following:

Archive Trap
Brain Freeze
dampen thought
glimpse the unthinkable
hedron crab
memory sluice
sanity grinding
telemin performance
tome scour
vision charm

Now, the strongest of these are the 1CC cards: Vision charm, Memory Sluice, and Tome Scour

x4 Vision Charm
x4 Tome Scour
x4 Memory Sluice

The next most obvious card is Archive Trap, due to the prevalence of Fetchlands.

x4 Vision Charm
x4 Tome Scour
x4 Memory Sluice
x4 Archive Trap

After that, if you have access to Underground Seas, you should put Glimpse the Unthinkable in.

x4 Vision Charm
x4 Tome Scour
x4 Memory Sluice
x4 Archive Trap
x4 Glimpse the Unthinkable

Brain Freeze: Mills for 6 if you play one card before it, and 9 for the next. Also instant, so usable on their turn.

x4 Vision Charm
x4 Tome Scour
x4 Memory Sluice
x4 Archive Trap
x4 Brain Freeze

And then Hedron Crab(assuming you are playing ~8 fetchlands).

x4 Vision Charm
x4 Tome Scour
x4 Memory Sluice
x4 Archive Trap
x4 Brain Freeze
x4 Hedron Crab
Total: 28

x4 Underground Sea
x2 Swamp
x6 Island
x4 Flooded Strand
x4 Polluted Delta
Total: 48

x4 Brainstorm
x1 Ponder
x3 Daze
x4 Force of Will
Total: 60

Completely untested, and I'm going to bed, but I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
04-22-2010, 03:56 AM
Cut Force of Will and Brainfreeze for Mind Funeral and Mesmeric Orb.

Moczoc
05-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Extirpate usually takes 3 cards out of the opponents library for 1 mana and has a massive synergy with Mind Funeral played on a Fetchland! (And it can win you games against combo too ;))

cjva
05-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Looks like you could build solidarity from this shell. The only cards you need that cost more then 10 cent/each are 4 reset.

Angelfire
05-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Your deck has 4 crabs and a few counters as its only protection and what turn does this goldfish on (completely uncontested)? Turn 5 with a good draw, would be my guess. Most decks would have you dead or crippled by that point. Archive Trap looks like the only way you would be able to steal games.

Burn Style Mill will never be competitive (or even close) in Legacy. Mill (that isn't combo) can help your opponent in a ton of match ups (Reanimator, Dredge, Loam variants, Tombstalker/Goyf etc...). We already have competitive mill in the form of Solidarity and all the Painter/Grindstone variants.

xTrainx
05-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Looks like you could build solidarity from this shell. The only cards you need that cost more then 10 cent/each are 4 reset.

I think you forgot Meditate.

perm
05-11-2010, 10:11 PM
mesmeric orb is fantastic, works far faster than most people are prepared for.

Roman Candle
05-11-2010, 10:53 PM
I think for a mill deck to work, it wouldn't play any mill cards other than Archive Trap and Hedron Crab, plus 4 Ranger of Eos. Then you'd play a heavy control suite with a lot of Fetchlands and possibly Crop Rotation and Knight of the Reliquary.

tprisbe
05-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Maybe one or two Haunting Echoes for if the game goes long?

Lim-Dul's Vault (end of opponents turn) to tutor Haunting Echoes, Mesmeric Orb, or one of your best mill cards depending on the situation? The lifeloss might be too much, but I've played a similar deck, and it sometimes just runs out of gas. This tutor instead of a weaker mill card might work well.

Tokobotenkai
05-19-2010, 11:33 PM
As some guys have suggested combo mill

Spring Tide

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?2594-%5BDeck%5D-Spring-Tide

Solidarity

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?12086-%5BDeck%5D-Solidarity

Alternatively,

Painter's Servant + Grindstone

Leyline of the Void + Helm Of Obedience

Chuck in some draw/control/tutors to quickly grab the pieces you need =)

bakofried
05-19-2010, 11:50 PM
What happens when you play the Ichorid MU?

RexFTW
05-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Leyline of the void for ichorid :) also, they are helping you by milling themself :)