PDA

View Full Version : [Report] New Horizons takes bronze

Krieger
04-12-2010, 10:15 PM
I ended up playing a deck my Teammate David Price AKA Dead Guy Red built and developed. Here is the list for reference:

4 Force of Will
3 Terravore
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Daze
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Wasteland
4 Windswept Heath
3 Tropical Island
3 Tundra
1 Forest
2 Engineered Explosives
4 Stifle
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Horizon Canopy
4 Misty Rainforest
SB:
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Rhox War Monk
2 Crucible of Worlds
4 Tormod's Crypt
1 Bojuka Bog
4 Krosan Grip

The car ride was uneventful for the most part but we made in in great time which means that we got to eat at Tully’s. For anyone who hasn’t eaten there you are making a mistake you should go to one of Elis’ events just to eat there. On to the event:

Round 1: Brandon Deveines w/Merfolk
2-1

This was the feature match for round one. I’m not sure if this will be available for viewing later hopefully it will be posted somewhere. I have some friendly banter with my opponent we begin. Unfortunately for Brandon he gets stuck on one island and makes a major misplay in game one( he plays standstill while I have board superiority and can’t recover even with vial.
In Game two Brandon get stuck again on island as his only colored source. All my creatures outclass his and am able to crush him.
Round 2: Michel Maes w/ Canadian Threshold
2-0

I know that Michel came with the Canadian crew and I saw him sleeving up his deck before round one. I keep a hand that can punish his manabase and is also land heavy which means I could survive his land destruction strategy. Michel is a very good player and he dazes a land that I target with wasteland when I stifle a fetch land. I am able to play a few creature that are too big for him to handle and Terravore tramples over his dudes.
In game two Michel makes a big misplay that I am able to capitalize on( he plays mongoose on turn one and two but fails to make a second land drop) I waste and start taking some damage from the geese but I am able to play terravore and a few goyfs which quickly end the game.
Round 3: Johnathan Mosier w/ Progenitus Threshold
2-0

Johnathan lands a counterbalence early but I am able to get rid of it via EE and get rid of another creature. From there I able to waste him stifle a fetch and keep him of green. I get Knight online and tutor for waste.
Round 4: Evan Gottschalk w/ Merfolk splash green
1-2

I’ve played against Evan before and remember that he played merfolk before so I assume correctly that he is playing it again. This goes to three games with him winning the final because of Lord of Atlantis giving island walk through my creatures.
Round 5: David Caplan w/ Canadian Threshold
2-0

David has to mulligan to start off and gets disrupted by my mana denial strategy. In game two David plays three submerges but I draw the creatures and play aground them by not fetching while I had creatures. I did however at one point fetch to pump my terravore when he had goyf and nimble mongoose; I was worried about trading with them however I had forgotten that Nimble mongoose was 1/1 via Bojuka Bog however he didn’t draw the fourth submerge.
Round 6: Ethan Heilicher w/ Belcher
2-0

This was really good I knew what another opponent was playing. I had seen Ethan play in the previous round against Alix and I had also seen how he boarded against him too. This gave me a huge advantage. I couldn’t contain my excitement when I saw him sit down across me I was very happy. I then heard that a repair was happening I was a little disappointed that I might not play such a favorable match up but the repair. Ethan keeps a risky hand that relies on metamorphose to draw mana however Ethan has to pass the turn with no play. I win shortly after his second attempt to win after I force it.
In game two Ethan keeps a hand that has Xantid swarm . I swords it and he is surprised that I kept them in however I saw his side boarding against Alix and knew it would be almost identical. From there I stop attempts to go off while goyf whittles his life down. The hands I drew aginst him where very strong I ended the game with Force of will, Daze stifle, and EE in hand.
Round 7: Kyle Dorgan w/ Thopter Control
ID

We draw into top Eight.
Top Eight: Alix Hatfield w/ Reanimator
2-0

Game one I disrupt Alix and he struggles to find a reanimation spell he is forced to use reanimate and the life loss brings him too low and he is forced to block my Knight with his Iona so he doesn’t lose. He find another enomb and goes for Blazing Archon but I have Force of Will.
Game two is unfair. I draw all four crypts three resolve one is stifled and on is forced. I get knight in play and the the turn he becomes active I draw ponder I ponder for wasteland and tutor for one to knock out both of his lands and Knight makes short order of him. I feel bad because I had to play my teammate and I don’t think I could have drawn any better.

Top Four: Kyle Dorgan w/ Thopter Control
1-2

This is recorded somewhere I think Chuck has it and at the very least has the match coverage. I know that I made quite a few misplays during this match up.

Props/Slops:

Props:
Eli for running the best events I’ve ever been to
All my opponents for being friendly
Dave Price for creating New Horizons
Damon for driving
My teammates for the cards
Tully’s

Slops:
Damon for not believing in me
Having to work at seven the next morning
Kids at the hotel for being slaming doors and waking us up in the middle of the night

whienot
04-12-2010, 11:14 PM
This deck is incredibly interesting. Is there anything you would change, main or board?

johanessen
04-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I replied on the thread, the change i'm doing is to add Qasali Pridemage in the terravore slot.

Obfuscate Freely
04-14-2010, 01:39 AM
Hey, don't feel bad about beating me in the Top 8. My draw in the second game was pretty good, as well, and if you hadn't played out the four Crypts correctly, things might have been different. You earned the win, and I'm happier having lost to a teammate than to anyone else.

Congratulations!