PDA

View Full Version : Team America @ RIT

Khurtz
05-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Sooo, after generally poor performance my past few tournaments I decided to go back to a slightly revamped Team America. This was my list:

1cc//
4 Stifle
2 Spell Pierce
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder

2cc//
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Daze
3 Sinkhole

3cc//

2 Vendilion Clique
2 Trygon Predator

4cc//
3 Snuff Out

5cc//
4 Force of Will

8cc//
4 Tombstalker

Land//

4 Underground Sea
2 Tropical Island
1 Bayou
3 Polluted Delta
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Verdant Catacombs
4 Wasteland

SB:

3 Pernicious Deed
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Krosan Grip
2 Spell Pierce
2 Wipe Away
4 Blue Elemental Blast

This is actually my first tournament report, although I did do something similar for the The Gate thread for my last tournament, so if I miss anything please let me know.

First round: Vs. Dreadstill piloted by Nik Fabretti (who happens to be my cousin)

Game 1: I don't remember too much of the details of this game but first round consisted of a few small counter battles followed by me resolving a Goyf and him resolving a Dreadnought that got Snuffed out since he had run out of counter power at that point.

I believe I boarded out Vendillion Clique for Krosan grip but I can't quite remember.

Game 2: My cousin makes the painful play mistake of not cracking his fetchland during his first turn. He pays for it on my turn when I stifle his fetch at EOT when he cracks it. I continue with the mana screw by Wastelanding his nonbasics and dropping at least one Sinkhole on him in the following turns. He doesn't have the counterpower to stop my Tarmogoyf and it gets in there FTW.

1-0

Round 2: Vs. Ichorid (Can't remember the gentlemen's name that I played)

Game 1: My opponent starts off by mulling down to 4 so things seemed favorable. I stalled out a bit due to lack of threats but eventually dropped Goyf and got some beats in. He managed to recover a bit but I was able to counter his strategy by Snuffing my Goyf with 2 Bridges in the yard. His lack of resources at that point gave me time to drop a few more threats and beat in for game.

Boarded out 4 Stifle and Boarded in 2 Relic, 2 Wipe Away. I believe I also boarded out a Trygon for a Spell Pierce but my memory isn't super good at the moment (teach me to wait 2 days before writing my report : - P)

Game 2: My opponent mulls down to 4 AGAIN. I believe I mulled to six with a hand containing 2 counters, draw spells and land. Once again I get off to a slow start with my threats but my opponents low hand size helped tremendously. I believe he ended up drawing to 8 cards and discarding in order to get his dredge engine going. I resolve a Goyf and get some damage in but an opportunity to Snuff out and remove 3 Bridges proves too good to resist. I sit around lacking threats for awhile and the game drags on with a bunch of dredges that didn't turn up too much useful stuff. At one point his graveyard contains a couple of ichorids and his last bridge and I hit it with Relic but he manages to recover before I can drop more threats. As i'm low on life when I finally get threats out I spend some time defending but at this time he's low on cards in his deck. He draws 1 of his last 2 cards and beats in with double Ichorids and a Narc taking me to 2. I drop another blocker and pass turn. He draws his last card, sees that he can only take me to 1 and then scoops.

2-0

Round 3: vs Ichorid (The gentlemen I played was a bit newer to legacy and I'm afraid I forgot his name as well)

Game 1: Forced a 1st turn putrid imp and then proceeded to Wasteland Tarnished Citadel. After this he was unable to recover and I actually got an early game threat out this time.

Game 2: My opponent managed to get his dredge engine going but kept hitting more dredgers instead of Bridges or other relevant cards. After Relic'ing him and droppiing Goyf, Goyf, Tombstalker, Trygon Predator I was able to take him out before he had a chance to recover.

3-0

Round 4: vs MUC (Once again, my memory for names fails me utterly)

Game 1: I'm able to resolve an early game Goyf and successfully counter 2 Cryptics but eventually I run out of counters. I counter an Ancestral Visions but Vedalken Shackles ends up resolving and giving me massive trouble. I'm not able to draw into anything to stop his Shackles which are powered by about 7 islands. Eventually I get beat to death with Vendilion Clique.

Boarded out: 4 Stifle, 2 Vendilion Clique
Boarded in: 2 Krosan Grip, 1 Wipe Away, 3 Pernicious Deed

Game 2: I once again get some early game beats out but this time my opponent gets
mana screwed. I'm able to drop enough threats to run him out of counters and I beat him into submission before he recovers.

Game 3: I end up with a nice opening hand containing FoW, Deed, Grip, Ponder and some land. I keep and proceed to drop some draw spells. Once we get up to 3 mana I start trying to keep my mana open in case BTB gets dropped. He cliques the Grip out of my hand but I'm able to kill the clique with my own clique the next turn. I drop threats but he gets Shackles out. I start to work on getting rid of the Shackles but I end up being low on resources. We end up drawing the game out due to time. At the end of the match my opponent tells me he's not running BTB : - (

3-0-1

Round 4: Belcher piloted by Ethan

Prior to game one we discuss drawing but as I've bled out points before in draws I decide to make Ethan play it out.

Game 1: I mulligan to 6 and keep a hand of Wasteland, Force of Will, and 4 blue cards that I think consisted of a daze, ponder, brainstorm and spell pierce. Ethan goes first and spends a good portion of his turn staring me down to see if he can ascertain if I have a Force. After passing the turn to me I topdeck a Trop and drop it. He tries to go off the next turn but I'm able to counter his mana at critical points. Next turn I Wasteland his Taiga that he'd played. I end up making a funny play where I Sinkhole my Fetchland and crack it in response in order to get more cards in the yard to feed to Tombstalker so I don't have to tap out to play him. I resolve the Stalker and beat in for game with open mana and plenty of counters.

Board out:1 Vendilion Clique, 2 Trygon Predator, 3 Sinkhole
Board in:2 Spell Pierce, 4 Blue Elemental Blast

Game 2: I open with a hand containing 3 counters but no FoW so I mulligan. I'm presented with a hand of 2 FoW and 4 Blue spells which I keep. My opponent Mulligans down to 4, if I remember correctly. After a turn or 2 I pick up a land but at this time my hand consists of the 2 Fow's, 2 Spell Pierce, 2 Daze and a draw spell. I'm able to counter him out as he ends up drawing into 4 of his sideboard cards and I get a threat out fast enough to end the game.

4-0-1

Several of the others decide to play out top 8 at this point.

Round 5(top 8 match): vs. W/G Aggro control piloted by Brandon

Game 1: I end up with a slow hand with few counters and I'm not able to counter a crucial Mother of Runes hitting the board. I sit with Snuff out in hand for a bunch of turns dropping threats that get removed until I get beat to death by a Jitted Qasali.

I board out Spell Pierce and I think a Stifle in favor of 3 Deed

Game 2: I'm able to take out a Hierarch and bust up his mana with Wastelands and Sinkholes after which my threats make it in for the game.

Game 3: I hit him with the land disruption strategy again but he manages to draw plenty of land and resolve a Jitte. I knock out his creatures with some spot removal and then make a risky move by blowing a deed for 1 take out a hierarch but not the Jitte so I can keep my Goyf out. He blasts my creatures with Paths and Swords (he hits about 3 of them) by which time I have him down to 4. With both of our hands emptied I topdecked a Tombstalker to which he had no answer. During this match at one point I made the awesome play of announcing a Tarmogoyf and then playing down a Force of Will as I have a tendency to shuffle the cards in my hand a lot : - P

After this the top 4 decided to draw it out so we didn't have to stay any longer as it was getting a bit late.

Props:
-My 8-9 friends who were able to show up to the tournament even though none of them top 8'd.
-The tournament organizers for doing a stellar job keeping everything going smoothly
-My girlfriend for coming to play and not killing me for making us stay after the tournament to trade for a bit

Slops:
-My opponents decks for making them mull to 4 : - (
-My memory for not allowing me to remember more details to include in this report : - /

Thanks for reading, let me know what you think!

Rancorous Fool
05-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Your MUC opponent was Mike. There were three dredge players there saturday so I dunno offhand who you played. But, I can check when i boot up the laptop next.

I think you remembered your boarding wrong for the MUC match up, you mention boarding out Clique and playing it.

What'd you think of the MUC matchup? Were sinkhole relevent? Did you consider leaving in stifle for ancestral vision?

Khurtz
05-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I think I might have either forgot what I boarded out (Trygon might have actually come out) or I messed up the order the games were played in.

Sinkhole seemed too risky in the MUC matchup due to the massive amount of land that deck seems to draw however I'd like to do more testing to verify that. It came in handy a bunch versus G/W aggro but since I played 3 decks that can run off of 1 mana or less it was actually a little more dead than I would normally expect, but I have no intentions of cutting it at this time.

I wasn't a fan of keeping Stifle in largely since there were no Fetches that I could bust to keep the mana denial strategy going. It might have helped stop a Shackles for a turn or nullify clique's ability but it seemed like it wasn't quite versatile enough in that matchup. Once again though, something I'd like to test out more as Wipe Away wasn't quite optimal either.

Rancorous Fool
05-04-2010, 06:43 PM
The MUC list he played for reference:

20 island
3 mishras factory
1 guile
4 v clique
4 shackles
4 keg
4 counterspell
4 spellsnare
4 force
4 cryptic
4 fact or fiction
4 ancestral vision

The only good targets are keg and ancestral vision.

Also- sinkhole and waste versus 20 basics...

Khurtz
05-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Still not sure what he did as far as boarding although I'm pretty sure Keg came out as I don't recall seeing it much after game 1. He claimed to not be running BTB but I'm not sure if it was a masked joke or not since it didn't sound like he was joking. I actually hit factories more with Snuff Out than Wasteland : - P

DerFern
05-05-2010, 01:47 AM
Congrats on the finish.
Why did you board out Stifle against Ichorid? Hitting a Narcomoeba trigger can be really crucial in this matchup.

Khurtz
05-05-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm not certain if I boarded out the whole set at this point, next time I'll take better notes (or take notes in general), however I believe my main reasoning was that I was not able to knock out fetches and the land disruption strategy was proving to be particularly brutal against the deck. I used Wipe Away to put Narc's back in hand and it also served to put Ichorids back in hand as well as taking out tokens. In retrospect I probably would've been safe boarding out a few more threats to keep in the Stifle's.

Aleksandr
05-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Colliseum anyone?