PDA

View Full Version : Dredge me to hell - zombies take the gold

Digital Devil
05-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Inspired by the outcome of my first tournament (finals split) with my-new-Dredge-deck, I decided to play a second tournament with my-new-Dredge-deck. I checked some forums for tournament announcements, until I found one of my interest - the location wasn't too far, and there were 36 people enrolled. So I decided to go to that tournament. 6 people were missing, so when the TO said "Pairings" we were only 30 people. My list:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
// Lands
4 [OD] Cephalid Coliseum
4 [8E] City of Brass
4 [WL] Gemstone Mine
2 [OD] Tarnished Citadel

// Creatures
4 [TO] Putrid Imp
4 [OD] Tireless Tribe
4 [RAV] Golgari Grave-Troll
4 [RAV] Stinkweed Imp
4 [FUT] Narcomoeba
4 [TO] Ichorid
3 [RAV] Golgari Thug
1 [ZEN] Iona, Shield of Emeria

// Spells
4 [FUT] Bridge from Below
4 [TO] Breakthrough
4 [JU] Cabal Therapy
3 [OD] Careful Study
3 [TSP] Dread Return

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [WWK] Nature's Claim
SB: 3 [GP] Leyline of the Void
SB: 3 [TSP] Ancient Grudge
SB: 3 [RAV] Darkblast
SB: 1 [JU] Ancestor's Chosen
SB: 1 [SHM] Woodfall Primus
Round 1 - UW Merfolk
He wins the die roll, and goes Island, go. We both kept a 7 cards hand, so I simply draw, discard a Golgari Grave-Troll, and then pass. He plays a Tundra and a Vial. I then dredge Narcomoeba, 2x Bridge from Below, Cabal Therapy, 2 dredgers. It is time to play my Cephalid Coliseum and go for it. I flashback Therapy, he Brainstorms but he decides Therapy resolves, I name Force of Will knowing he had just Brainstormed to make me think he had put his FOWs on top of his deck, and my 1cc sorcery hits three (THREE) of them. Breakthrough ===> Iona ===> White ===> game 2.

-3 Golgari Thug, -3 Careful Study, +3 Darkblast, +3 Ancient Grudge

He starts with Island and Cursecatcher, I follow with City of Brass and Darkblast. An Umezawa's Jitte hits the table, but a Tarnished Citadel helps me play around Daze, and a Tireless Tribe succesfully enters the battlefield. Darkblast keeps him off his Cursecatchers/Silvergill Adepts, while Grudge blows his Jitte and my zombies finish the job.

Round 2 - Tempo Thresh
We both have aggressive starts, until we reach a stalemate, with him at 6 life and me at 5. He has a Goyf and a Mishra. I have a Narcomoeba and 2 zombie tokens. His Lightning Bolts were previously used to burn my head, or were discarded with Therapies. I decide to take the initiative, so I Dread Return a 8/8 Troll, then he reveals his Vendilion Clique. Even if I block Goyf, Clique + Mishra are exactly 5 damage. Fuck.

-3 Golgari Thug, -3 Careful Study, +3 Darkblast, +3 Ancient Grudge

I previously heard him say something about sideboard Underground Seas + Jailer, so I sided in Darkblast. I know my opponent made some weird deckbuilding choices, so I am worried about them. I don't remember much about this game, except that a Putrid Imp eats a FOW but a Tribe hits the ground. I slowly get 3 Zombies with Ichorid recursion. I attack with my Zombies, he makes the mistake to tap himself out for a Vendilion Clique targeting me, and in response I discard my hand. Iona and Dread Return are in my graveyard, and my opponent reaches it as well when I DR the angel naming blue.

-3 Darkblast, +3 Golgari Thug

He tricked me - there are neither Seas nor Jailers in his sideboard. He keeps his hand with Firespout and EE, I keep mine with Cephalid Coliseum, City of Brass, Breakthrough, Tireless Tribe, Cabal Therapy, Ancient Grudge and Golgari Grave-Troll. They say Iona and a 14/14 GGT are hard to deal with.

Round 3 - PROBant
Tundra, go is his start. Mine is far more explosive, with PImp immediately hitting the ground thanks to a Gemstone Mine. He taps his Tundra for a Sensei's Divining Top, then plays Windswept Heath searching for Savannah ===> Noble Hierarch. I discard a Stinkweed Imp in my upkeep and dredge 5 cards. I play Therapy from my hand, naming FOW. He hasn't it, but has a triple StP. So, I play another Mine, discard my Stinkweed Imp, and mill 23 cards with Breakthrough. Cabal Therapy's flashback eats all his removal, and a 10/10 GGT eats all his life points.

-3 Careful Study, +3 Ancient Grudge

He applies pressure with an early Goyf, so I'm in trouble. I kept a heavy-land hand, and I have to hardcast a Stinkweed Imp. If he counters it, I can Dredge lots of cards with a Cephalid Coliseum I had in play, and he can't attack because I can kill his Goyf with Imp. He makes a mistake, and accomplishes both of my goals. He attacks with Goyf, so I can kill it. The next turn, I mill a third of my deck to find out a DR Target, and there he is... GGT again. His desperate Brainstorms and Ponders didn't save him from the fury of that monster

Round 4 - Ichorid
We are 2 of the 3 players @9 points, so we I.D. - we then talk about our different deckbuilding choices, and play a 2/3 game just for fun. He slaughters me with no mercy. Wheew...

Round 5 - Angry Tradewind Survival
He is first with 12 points, and I'm second with 10 points, but he decides to play the game, and I can't seem to convince him to I.D. Both games are very close, with me having the chance to win the next turn. The first game, Spike Weaver literally owns me...

-3 Careful Study, -3 Golgari Thug, +3 Leyline of the Void, +3 Darkblast

...the second game, I have lethal damage on the board, and a Windborn Muse ruins my plans =(
Top8 - Tempo Thresh
I played against the same opponent I faced during the second turn. He is tired, and makes a misplay which costs him the game. He fetches for a Volcanic Island that should have been a Tropical Island. Ichorids and zombie beatdown make me win.

-3 Careful Study, +3 Ancient Grudge

Game 2, I DR a 7/7 Troll, facing a 5/6 Goyf, Vedalken Shackles with a Wasteland, Tropical and Volcanic Island, and EE @0. I don't have discard outlets, so I continue to draw lands. At one point, I have 3 lands and I make a big mistake: I hardcast a Stinkweed Imp. Luckily he didn't steal my Imp with Shackles - he played a Spellstutter Sprite to block GGT. The next turn, to avoid unfavorable things, I hardcast (yes, I hardcast) Dread Return, returning a Narcomoeba from my graveyard to play. My opponent says "ok", and I say ok, too, since then I can sacrifice my Imp and apply pressure with my 7/7. Stinkweed Imp's dredge helps me finding double Ancient Grudge, and with no fear of having my zombies blown up or my Ichorids get stolen, my opponent scoops.

Top4 - Survival with Iona/Retainers
Quirion Ranger and multiple accelerants make his Iona hit the ground too early for my deck to hope to win the race.

-3 Careful Study, +3 Darkbkast

Turn 1 Tribe, turn 2 Breakthrough with GGT and Imp in hand ===> Iona ===> Green ===> gg

Game 3, he mulls down to 5, with BoPs and Hierarchs as his mana sources, but Darkblast keeps him off of his mana. Lots of zombies join the party, and they want to have fun

Finals - Pro Bant
Same opponent as round 3. I am in a hurry, so I persuade him to give me the victory. He agrees. To thank him, since he is a really nice person and saved mysaturday night, we swap our respective prizes. Loooooooots of fetches for me. I just play to have fun, money isn't an issue.
So, I win a 30 men tournament with this awesome deck. After the event, I earn an Angel of Despair, which I think I'm going to play in my sb instead of Primus. Darkblasts were MVP all day long, I absolutely love them. Also, I noticed I always ended up siding out Careful Studies. Maybe there's something better to play in their place... but there's already a LEDless Dredge thread in the DTB forum, so this is the wrong place to ask for advice. Stay tuned for more (I hope^^) reports!!!

MMogg
05-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Congratulations. Dredge.dec loves you. I'm curious, Round 4 Dredge that beat you . . . was it packing LEDs?

Edit: Another question, you said how Darkblasts were great all day, so I was wondering if you ever used them to Dredge?

nicolasbol
05-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Nice performance !

How come you are not playing LED ? Price ?

Wargoos
05-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Nice performance !

Consistency.
You might want to inform yourself about the archetype and it's versions.

BKclassic
05-15-2010, 11:47 PM
I then dredge Narcomoeba, 2x Bridge from Below, Cabal Therapy, 2 dredgers.

Way to dredge like a pro. Congrats on the win.

Digital Devil
05-16-2010, 02:32 AM
Congratulations. Dredge.dec loves you. I'm curious, Round 4 Dredge that beat you . . . was it packing LEDs?
Edit: Another question, you said how Darkblasts were great all day, so I was wondering if you ever used them to Dredge?
No, he simply milled his cards like a monster and DR Flame-Kin Zealot for lethal in both games. He also had Chain of Vapor for my Leyline of the Void I had to mull for, and for Iona. About Darkblast, of course I used them to dredge, I mean, there were some games in which I needed to recur those, so I chose Darkblast over, say, Stinkweed Imp. Also, I remember in the mirror match it saved my defending Iona by an attacking Stinkweed Imp. 0/1 Flying doesn't deal damage, so Iona survived Imp.

Nice performance !

Thanks. Both price and less consistency made me play Tribe over LED. If I really need to discard my hand I can still do that, while Tribe allows me to discard what I want, whenever I want, and it's also an additional creature to sac in case of Dread Return. And it's also a great, unburnable blocker.

Way to dredge like a pro. Congrats on the win.
Of course, since I'm a terrible player, my karma has to do something about my luck XD XD
Thanks to you, too.

P.S. Sorry for my english, both report's and this post's one. When I opened the thread, it was 2:30 AM here.

MMogg
05-16-2010, 07:45 AM
About Darkblast, of course I used them to dredge, I mean, there were some games in which I needed to recur those, so I chose Darkblast over, say, Stinkweed Imp. Also, I remember in the mirror match it saved my defending Iona by an attacking Stinkweed Imp. 0/1 Flying doesn't deal damage, so Iona survived Imp.

Sorry, I was completely inarticulate there, what I meant was as an initial dredge source, not using its dredge ability in order to reuse the card. With 11 mainboard dredgers, I was wondering if post-board you ever used Darkblasts as an initial dredge source and – more importantly – didn't need to mulligan because it was in your opening hand as your initial dredger?

Piceli89
05-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Gratz, dude. You chose the right deck yesterday to play, at least in that meta.
Despites all the people seeing how many Dredges in the room were there and suddenly hurrying to pack 4 to 8 sb solutions. :D

Bryant Cook
05-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Awesome title.

I guess 'grats on the finish as well.

Digital Devil
05-17-2010, 04:57 AM
Sorry, I was completely inarticulate there, what I meant was as an initial dredge source, not using its dredge ability in order to reuse the card. With 11 mainboard dredgers, I was wondering if post-board you ever used Darkblasts as an initial dredge source and – more importantly – didn't need to mulligan because it was in your opening hand as your initial dredger?
Well, the only time I had to mull was because I had no dredgers in hand - I kept a lot of no-landers because I was on the draw, so I simply DDDed for the win. In the Top4 match, against Survival, I risked when I kept a hand with City of Brass, some draw/discard outlets and a single Darkblast: I killed all of his creatures, though, until I didn't need to do so, then I simply overwhelmed him with a Breakthrough which made me mill some Bridges and Ichorids. He tried to play blockers, but every time I milled 3 to recur Darkblast... it was difficult to recover from that situation. Darkblast is one of my favourite cards. I think it doesn't deserve spots in the maindeck, but it's a really useful card in the sb. Just think about Merfolk, Elves, Goblins, and Survival. It also someway helps in the mirror.

Gratz, dude. You chose the right deck yesterday to play, at least in that meta.
Despites all the people seeing how many Dredges in the room were there and suddenly hurrying to pack 4 to 8 sb solutions. :D
Well, with no Stax/Stompies and only 2 ANT I couldn't play anything bette r=)

Awesome title. I guess 'grats on the finish as well.
Ehehe thank you for both your sentences!