PDA

View Full Version : [EDH] Hazezon Tamar

Umezete
05-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Hazezon Tamar is my attempt at being slightly original at edh (I have a Thada Adel EDH, and Emrakul EDH as well) being a rather intresting legendary creature from legends. (If by intresting you mean doesn't suck)

Anyway I've been pouring over card searches to make this deck and I think if you guys can help I'd like to add either more sac outlets, or a stoneforge/stonehewer equip theme or both. Course any good token producers I missed will be awesome to.

General
Hazezon Tamar

Creatures

Rith the Awakener
Flame Kin Zealot
Reya Dawnbringer
Eternal Dragon
Admonition Angel
Captain of the Watch
Archon of Justice
World Queller
Academy Rector
Mangara of Corondor
Furystoke Giant
Terastodon
Woodfall Primus
Regal Force
Genesis
Indrik Stompenhowler
Wolfbriar Elemental
Master of the wild hunt
Ondu Giant
oracle of mul daya
Yavimaya Elder
Eternal Witness
farhaven Elf
Wood Elves
Kazandu Tuskcaller
Sakura Tribe Elder
Wilt leaf Liege
Dueger Hedge Mage

Instant/socery

Naya Charm
Nomad's Assemble
Conqueror's Pledge
return to dust
Oblation
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Enlightened Tutor
Insurrection
Tooth and Nail
Restock
harmonize
Far Wanderings
Growth Spasm
Kodoma's Reach
skyshroud Claim
reap and sow
harrow
Nature's Lore
Sprout Swarm
Regrowth

enchantments/artifacts

Aura Shards
Sterling Grove
Marshal's Anthem
Luminarch Ascension
Doubling Season
Defense of the Heart
Greater Good
Beastmaster's Ascension
Survival of the Fittest
Skullclamp
Sensei's Divining top

lands

natuko Monastary
Emeria the Sky Ruin
Oran rief the vastwood
Gaia's Cradel
Terramorphic Expanse
Evolving Wilds
naya Panorama
Arid Mesa
Windswept Heath
Wooded Foothills
Taiga
Savannah
Plateu
Stomping Grounds
Sacred Foundry
Temple Grounds
8 forests
7 plains
7 moutain

Dilettante
05-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Cutting Edge:
Sprout Swarm (Feels like a passive win-more when you want aggressive win-more)
Growth Spasm (Adds a token, but there are better cards to grab)
Path to Exile (Condemn is better in general for EDH IMO, but if you run into generals like Erayo, Rofellos, or Jhoira, I can understand that choice)
Far Wanderings (Feels like a passive win-more, Land Tax I'd run in its stead)
Admonition Angel (Sounds powerful, but... hard to keep on the board and can be a liability, since it can allow opponents to reuse CiP abilities)
Oblation (it's utility, but... there are better options)
Kazanadu Tuskcaller (Too fragile, too slow, too much commitment)
Emeria, the Sky Ruin (too hard to get to 7 plains, even with land search, since it's so inconsistent and you need to use a broad array of colours)
Reap and Sow (powerful 2 for 1, but may be too slow)

Considerations:
Glare of Subdual (Put your tokens to use as control)
Sylvan Library (You need card quality, considering all your mana ramp/land search)
Storm Herd (Can potentially just win you the game)
Garruk Wildspeaker
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Awakening Zone
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
Sarkhan Vol (instead of Flame-Kin Zealot?)
Rampaging Baloths

I'd look into an artifact accel suite in addition (the Ravnica signets, sol ring, mana crypt, coalition relic)

Umezete
05-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Cutting Edge:
Sprout Swarm (Feels like a passive win-more when you want aggressive win-more)
Growth Spasm (Adds a token, but there are better cards to grab)
Path to Exile (Condemn is better in general for EDH IMO, but if you run into generals like Erayo, Rofellos, or Jhoira, I can understand that choice)
Far Wanderings (Feels like a passive win-more, Land Tax I'd run in its stead)
Admonition Angel (Sounds powerful, but... hard to keep on the board and can be a liability, since it can allow opponents to reuse CiP abilities)
Oblation (it's utility, but... there are better options)
Kazanadu Tuskcaller (Too fragile, too slow, too much commitment)
Emeria, the Sky Ruin (too hard to get to 7 plains, even with land search, since it's so inconsistent and you need to use a broad array of colours)
Reap and Sow (powerful 2 for 1, but may be too slow)

Considerations:
Glare of Subdual (Put your tokens to use as control)
Sylvan Library (You need card quality, considering all your mana ramp/land search)
Storm Herd (Can potentially just win you the game)
Garruk Wildspeaker
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Awakening Zone
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
Sarkhan Vol (instead of Flame-Kin Zealot?)
Rampaging Baloths
I'd look into an artifact accel suite in addition (the Ravnica signets, sol ring, mana crypt, coalition relic)
Hey before I disect your comments, thank you for responding:smile:
I really really want to keep the accel land based in this one, I know artifact accel is good but this deck likes having a ton of lands in play. I don't want to simply toss in a bunch of sol ring effects and call it done, I've done that with my other decks.

I like reap a sow because it fetches cradle which is brilliant, also kill academy which is a problem in my meta.

Some of your suggestions are pretty cool, I'm afraid to use glare in multiplayer because its a frustrating card and even this level of token production won't lock up more than a player or to. 1 vs 1 is a shoe end but I think for multi I probaly shouldn't run it.

Slyvan library is really good, I missed that one
Completly forgot storm herd which is stupid since I run both conqueror's pledge, and assembly which are both almost always worse.

Sarkhan is pretty much better than flamekin with the exception of survival shenanigans. I'll have to see how important being a relevent survival tutor is for flameking but I can see making this change in the near future.

Planeswalkers are planeswalkers, always good so yeah I can't put elspeth in here (they're decked elsewhere) but I definatly wouldn't mind fitting a garruk.

Forgot about kamal to, nutty for tokens thanks for giving that one as a suggestion.

baloths is okay to. (seriously all I have to say about the guy, I had him in here and took him out because I didn't want the dumb fat)
I think I'm going to get some of these cards you suggested and make the changes (kamal and storm heard I don't currently own.)

Dilettante
05-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Okay, with that perspective, if you're going the land drop route, you could consider...
Scapeshift (acts like Reap and Sow in many ways, especially if you include Strip Mine/Wasteland in your deck)
Knight of the Reliquary
Crop Rotation

Also, for card advantage, Lurking Predators. I'd suggest Life from the Loam, typically, but lack of tutors for it seemingly for your build.

Oh, and in my lack of thinking, I forgot:
Eldrazi Monument
Akroma's Memorial
Coat of Arms

Hunding Gjornersen
05-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Blades of Velis Vel and Shields of Velis Vel are awesome responses to removal on Hazezon Tamar.

Umezete
05-26-2010, 04:11 AM
Blades of Velis Vel and Shields of Velis Vel are awesome responses to removal on Hazezon Tamar.

hahahahahahah, brilliant why did I not think of that. Seems like a solid punisher effect.

Dillentante- none of your listed land cards actually accel though.

Trying out the lurking predators, coat, and monument though. (I don't own memorial but its in if I get one.)

Thanks for the ideas I think I'll modify my list a little tomorrow.

Dilettante
05-26-2010, 01:26 PM
They do accel... since they let you fetch more productive lands. They are all strictly land tutors. Therefore, you can grab Gaea's Cradle, Khalni Garden, Ancient Tomb, Vesuva...

Hunding Gjornersen
05-31-2010, 04:48 PM
For Flame-kin Zealot to be worthwhile, I think you need to drop it on the same turn as Hazezon. While you rightfully pack a lot of ramp, the 11 mana needed to pull this off still seems like a stretch. At any rate, there are better options for pumping your Sand Warriors. Here are some of them:

Lovisa Coldeyes
Boartusk Liege
Balefire Liege
Knight of New Alara
Konda's Banner

[edit: reading cards is tech. Flame-kin does work with Hazezon, although I'd still play the above cards as well.]