PDA

View Full Version : [Report] New Horizons in Hanau: 3rd of 91

paK0
05-24-2010, 04:59 PM
So, the morning was kinda hectic since I couldn't find my PtEs, apparently they were in the Box with my Dredge Deck, God knows why. I pick up they Guys and we drive roughly 20 minutes to the Event, havin tournaments nearby rocks.

I cut the rest of the chaff since noone cares anyway.

Decklist:

[PCA]Soul Eater
Sebastian Freund

// Lands
3 [A] Tundra
3 [B] Tropical Island
4 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
4 [ON] Windswept Heath
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
1 [UNH] Forest
4 [TE] Wasteland

// Creatures
4 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
3 [OD] Terravore

// Spells
4 [MM] Brainstorm
4 [M10] Ponder
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [NE] Daze
4 [SC] Stifle
2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
4 [R] Swords to Plowshares

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 3 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 [EVE] Worm Harvest
SB: 1 [RAV] Life from the Loam
SB: 4 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
SB: 1 [WWK] Bojuka Bog
SB: 2 [CFX] Path to Exile

Round 1: Urs Glaubitt, ANT
G1: He plays Volcanic Island, so I put him on Canadian. I waste it and he Brainstorms in response. After having no Landdrop for two more turns he scoops em up.
G2: Obviously my boarding was incorrect so I was a little baffled when he led with an Underground Sea. I kept a hand with Force and Daze and Goyf so I still feel good. Apparently some Duresses take care of my Countermagic and eventually Doomsday gets me.
G3: On the play and with correct sideboarding I feel a lot better. I have a fast Goyf and a lot of Countermagic. He Duresses me multiple times, but I topdeck like a pro and he can't work his way through all my blue stuff.
2-1 1-0-0

Round 2: Marc Jungjohan, Ugb Merfolk
G1: He gets a Gameloss for a Decklist error.
G2: He has some Wastelands but I keps a lot of Lands myself. Eventually my own Wastelands hit and Goyf + Knight make short work of him.
4-1 2-0-0

Round 3: Marco Kesseler, Reanimator
G1: When he starts with Careful Study I'm happy to see a good Matchup at last. He is able to Reanimate Iona on white, but you can tell the Reanimator Guys are in bad shape when they gotta start chumping your Terravores.
G2: I get the nuts. Goyf + 2 Crypts as well as some Countermagic. He tries to trick me with some plays (Exhume - Crypt - Entomb, Exhume resolves?) but that was kinda obvious one =). Props for trying anyways.
6-1 3-0-0

Round 4: Eduard Bachmann, Dredge
G1: My notes say "Dredge" which means I struggled a little without a real chance to actually win.
G2: I keep a hand without hate but with a Knight. I play "Land, go". And he goes for the DDD plan. He doesn't find anything relevant in his first two Dredges, I tutor up Bog, Play two Vores and Crush him.
G3: Same Hand as above, just this one has a Force. He goes Land - Pimp and I Force it. I decide against Wasteland since I would rather just get my Knight out of summoning sickness. Good choice, he plays a second Land and a Tribe. He resolves a Study and finds 3 Bridges but no action. Eventually I get my Knight online before be builds something too threatening. Like before I get two Terravores to accompany my Knight. He conceades but not before pointing out how broken the Vores and Knights are. I gotta agree, beating Dredge without drawing a single hatepiece doesn't happen too often.
8-2 4-0-0

Round 5: Marten Wolff, Merfolk
G1: I keep a lot of Lands and he comes out of the Gates blistering fast. I get no action an he simply overruns me.
G2: I resolve double Goyf and cantrip into enough Removal to make them go the distance.
G3: He is fast again, but I keep up better than in G1. Still I take a crapload of damage from my Canopies (having no acces to other lands) and die a miserable death.
9-4 4-1-0

Round 6: Michel-Andre Bonnes, Reanimator
G1: He gets a fast Iona through my Countermagic and I cannot race this time.
G2: I draw a good chuck of Countermagic, and resolve both a Knight and a Crypt. Eventually he needles the Crypt but my Knight finishes him off.
G3: I disrupt the shit out of him so he is not able to reanimate. He resolves a Show and Tell though, and we both decide to put the wrong creatures into play. (I put Knight in when Vore would have won vs anything, He puts Terrastodon in when Iona would have won against Knight). After some Echoind Truths ans Swords the board is clear except that I have an Elephant. He is on 4, I swing, putting him to 1 and Brainstorm, into a Daze that keeps him from Exhuming next turn. Pretty fun and pretty close.
11-5 5-1-0

Round 7: Michael Seubert, Fetchland Tendrils
We decide to I.D. and a friend comes over and tells us that he might not be in. He spends the next hour panicing but when the annonce Top 8 we are in as 7th and 8th so the party is on.
11-5 5-1-1

T8: Simon R. (He spelled the full name out for me but I can't read my notes anymore, sry for that), Dreadtill
At this point I'm kinda bored with playing cards all day, so I go into Top 8 with zero motivation. Friend tells me that winning is the only option and so I decide to not ask for a split =), I did take less notes so most of this is now from memory.
G1: He is a little low on mana, so I do my best to keep bis Stifles and Trickbinds busy with my Wastelands while I develop my board. Eventually some big dude wins the game.
G2: Again i'm stuck with mostly Horizon Canopies for Mana so I take a lot of Damage. Eventually He is able to reolve a Perish and beat me to Death with a Trinket Mage. Oh, the humiliation =).
G3: We both have more Removal than Gas but eventually I stick Knight + Terravore and proceed to the Semis.

T4: Marc Lanigra, Bantsurvival
G1: We exchange some punches with him coming out on top of it. I still feel pretty good when I topdeck a Terravore in Round 10 or so. I slam it down and we both realize that it is only 2/2 (or 3/3 can't remember) which makes both of us laugh, as well as the Spectators. No Gravemanipulation from any side was done, awkward. Well I didn't win this one =):
G2: I chain Cantrip into Cantrip, which draws out some remarks from him. Evetually this digging shows me more monsters than he has Removal and I run him over.
G3: He goes Hierarch, Kira, Clique. I struggle to find something worthwile while he keeps pummeling me. I Brainstorm into Double Sword + Path, but I can't afford to crack anymore Fetchlands so there is nothing left than extend my hand.

I take home 4 FoW, 2 Natural Order (Judge Foil) as well as 8 Fetchlands

+++
- The awesome Deck
- All my opponents, all were nice guys and fun to play against.
- Reanimator for being a good Matchup

---
- Being hungry all day, despite eating whenever I had time.
- Nearly 9 Hours of Magic. As fun as that game is, I felt kinda braindead on the drive home.

Still, overall the day was fun and I will definately look forward to the next tournament.

Little Red Riding Hood
05-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Round 6: Michel-Andre Bonnes, Reanimator
G1: He gets a fast Iona through my Countermagic and I cannot race this time.
G2: I draw a good chuck of Countermagic, and resolve both a Knight and a Crypt. Eventually he needles the Crypt but my Knight finishes him off.
G3: I disrupt the shit out of him so he is not able to reanimate. He resolves a Show and Tell though, and we both decide to put the wrong creatures into play. (I put Knight in when Vore would have won vs anything, He puts Terrastodon in when Iona would have won against Knight). After some Echoind Truths ans Swords the board is clear except that I have an Elephant. He is on 4, I swing, putting him to 1 and Brainstorm, into a Daze that keeps him from Exhuming next turn. Pretty fun and pretty close.
11-5 5-1-0

You can't even spell my name right. :laugh:

And yeah; I suck.

Concerning game 3: Iona is the better option (by far), but I still lose if you don't screw up. You control 2 5/5 Knights. I'm on 18 life, you're on 19. On your turn, one Knight becomes 7/7 and attacks. And you play Terravore (9/9?). In my turn, I bounce the Knights and lose the race against Terravore.

Last but not least: congratulations. :smile:

Wargoos
05-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Gratz for the great placement.
I would've been pretty pissed when you couldn't finish in prices after beating me.
I was your opponent in round 4.
And btw, I had to scoop to 2 knight activations on bojuka bog in game 3.
Instant graveyardremoval? - very, very good stuff :)
Also g3 I was totally thinking I had it in the bag.
We both mulled and my hand was PImp, Tribe, Land, Dredger and Study.
I kinda wanted you to waste your FOW on my PImp and go to 4 cards with me still having a very nice hand.
Too bad my dredges sucked ass.

cdr
05-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Dave Price is pleased.

Way to beat Van Phanel too, he's been on quite a roll.

Ch@os
05-25-2010, 06:36 AM
Top8 decks?

paK0
05-25-2010, 07:06 AM
Too bad my dredges sucked ass.

Yeah, that nails it. Your Action showed up way to late =). At some point Terravore just becomes unstoppable.

Top 8:
I checked some sites but can't seem to find em, I post the lists as soon as I see em somewhere. From What I recall:

Fetchland Tendrils - Zoo: Tendrils wins
Merfolk - X (I think another Merfolk): Merfolk wins
Bant Survival - Landstill Goodstuff: Bantsurvival wins
New Horizons - Dreadstill: NH wins

Fetchland Tendrils - Merfolk: Merfolk wins
Bant Survival - New Horizons: Bantsurvival wins

Thats all I know

Van Phanel
05-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Fetchland Tendrils - Zoo: Tendrils wins
Merfolk - X (I think another Merfolk): Merfolk wins
Bant Survival - Landstill Goodstuff: Bantsurvival wins
New Horizons - Dreadstill: NH wins

Yep, X was indeed another Merfolk.

Also congrats for your Top4.

Mark Sun
05-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the report, pak0, and a good read.

I like the PtE in the SB; I'd mused before about adding a card to the SB that was against the mana denial plan, but it seems like this is the right call, in games that I played before I just needed this.

paK0
05-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I figured that these two slots needed to fix the tribal matchups (alongsode other aggro chaff). Since these deck are monocoloured or only run a light splash the manadenial plan is not as good here anyways.

pikayou
06-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Can you post your sideboarding plans?

cranksmith
06-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Congratulations to your finish, I just built this same deck a few weeks ago but haven't really rolled it out on a tourney yet.

I hope you can help me on my questions especially me being new on this build (I have been playing canadian thresh for the past few months)

1. How was the merfolk matchup? I haven't tested this yet but I think New Horizons has a lousy matchup with them.
2. One thing I still do not understand... in what matchups do you board in the worm harvest?
3. How were the PtEs in lieu of extra EEs in the sideboard?

Congratulations again and thanks.

paK0
06-20-2010, 04:41 PM
@boarding:
You might wanna check the New Horizons thread, a good chuck of boarding plans is scattered in there^^

Congratulations to your finish, I just built this same deck a few weeks ago but haven't really rolled it out on a tourney yet.

I hope you can help me on my questions especially me being new on this build (I have been playing canadian thresh for the past few months)

1. How was the merfolk matchup? I haven't tested this yet but I think New Horizons has a lousy matchup with them.
2. One thing I still do not understand... in what matchups do you board in the worm harvest?
3. How were the PtEs in lieu of extra EEs in the sideboard?

Congratulations again and thanks.

1. Merfolk is tough, in tournaments I am 2-1 against them, but quite a bit of luck was involved. Mono U is a pain in the butt, as soon as they splash it gets better.
2. It was thought for stuff like Landstill, I am still tinkering with the Loam+Harvest slots, but I am 90% certain that they should be 2 Crucible or two Jace 2.0.
3. Awesome, I recently dropped the 3rd Grip for a 3rd Path, costing only 1 Mana is pretty relevant, especially vs. Tribal Decks.

cranksmith
06-20-2010, 08:09 PM
@boarding:
You might wanna check the New Horizons thread, a good chuck of boarding plans is scattered in there^^

1. Merfolk is tough, in tournaments I am 2-1 against them, but quite a bit of luck was involved. Mono U is a pain in the butt, as soon as they splash it gets better.
2. It was thought for stuff like Landstill, I am still tinkering with the Loam+Harvest slots, but I am 90% certain that they should be 2 Crucible or two Jace 2.0.
3. Awesome, I recently dropped the 3rd Grip for a 3rd Path, costing only 1 Mana is pretty relevant, especially vs. Tribal Decks.

Thanks for the time answering them paKO. Helped out a lot in understanding the deck further. :)

deadlock
06-21-2010, 05:58 AM

While Path helps against there lords usually, i have a lot of problems if Merfolk resolves a Kira. The only solution i have come up with is Jitte. I run Noble Hierarch and Pridemage though, in the 'classic' version this may not be an option.
Are there other answers to Kira beside Jitte (and 2 spot removal spells, which i disregard for now, as you wont have anything left to remove their lords)??

cdr
06-21-2010, 08:25 AM
While Path helps against there lords usually, i have a lot of problems if Merfolk resolves a Kira. The only solution i have come up with is Jitte. I run Noble Hierarch and Pridemage though, in the 'classic' version this may not be an option.
Are there other answers to Kira beside Jitte (and 2 spot removal spells, which i disregard for now, as you wont have anything left to remove their lords)??

If you're running Hierarch and Pridemage, you're no longer playing New Horizons. Try asking in the Bant thread.