PDA

View Full Version : ANT in Nor-Cal: 2 Small tournament reports

ottozoell
06-01-2010, 10:10 PM
So i recently went up to Nor Cal on a vacation/ business trip/ legacy getaway, all and all the events were fun and friendly and everyone was great to play against. The first event was held at Superstars/ Channel Fireball and was a whopping 8 people. A little smaller than I was expecting, but legacy is legacy and I was glad to play ANT again. The metagame was as follows:
2 Merfolk (mono-u)
1 Lands (w/ crop rotation)
1 Dredge
1 Counter-Slivers
1 Bant (NO pro)
1 ANT
1 other (i cant remember for the life of me what it was)

I was playing the following list
4 Lotus Petal
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
3 Chrome Mox
2 Sensei's Divining Top

4 Dark Ritual
4 Cabal Ritual
3 Infernal Tutor
2 Tendrils of Agony
2 Ad Nauseam

4 Brainstorm
2 Ponder
4 Mystical Tutor

4 Underground Sea
1 Tropical Island
1 Island
2 City of Traitors
3 Misty Rainforest
3 Flooded Strand
2 Scalding Tarn

SB:
4 Dark Confidant
2 Reverent Silence
1 Krosan Grip
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Rebuild
1 Thoughtseize
1 Extirpate
1 Sadistic Sacrament
1 Echoing Truth
1 Slaughter Pact
1 Chain of Vapor

Pretty much a standard list, nothing too exciting. Here we go
Round 1: 4 Color Counter Slivers
Game 1: I put him on some Counterbalance/ Thopter Foundry.dec, Thoughtseize reveals 2 slivers, a Force and some lands (take the Force). He proceeds to play the next 2 lands he top decks, giving me perfect information and I combo him off.
Game 2: He leads with Muscle Sliver into Hibernation Sliver, I Thoughtseize stifle and he plays the land he draws before i kill him on turn 4.
2-0, 1-0

Round 2: NO pro Bant
This opponent was talkative and funny, and I find out that he has something like 3.5k in store credit at superstars in our pre-game banter.
Game 1: He leads with Noble and I know what he's playing. I have turn 2 tons of mana Duress, Top into Top into Top into Top into Top into Tendrils for lethal.
Game 2: He mulls and I keep a turn 2 combo. Ad Nauseam flips over tons of 0cc artifacts and an Infernal Tutor, GG.
4-0, 2-0

Round 3: Lands, I know my opponent is on lands and am about to refuse his offer of a split but he rescinds it before I can saying he wants to test out the matchup, I'm not going to argue.
Game 1: I keep a turn 3 hand but draw into the LED on turn 2, get to 4 mana, IT crack LED in response and were off to game 2.
Game 2: Slow hand with lots of discard, I nab a Manabond since he kept 6 with nothing relevant, he topdecks and plays Maze of Ith ( ???!!!???) and I combo him out.
6-0, 3-0

Steve, my partner in crime posted a whopping 1-2 record playing merfolk that I lent him, it was his first legacy event ever!
Also, our friend Tim works at the store and was kind enough to take a load of standard and extended rares off my hands. I hope everyone who goes to Superstars gets to deal with this capable young man, it seems like he is the most stable part of an otherwise chaotic and understaffed store.

Fast-forward to the weekend, Steve tells me there is another event at Eudemonia and that he wants to play reanimator. Luckily the event is 12 proxies so we dont have to come up with a second set of Mystical Tutors, a 6th Thoughtseize, or some other random commons.

Again the Bay area legacy players are out in force and we have a grand total of 8 players!!! 3 rounds of swiss... plus a cut to top 4 as requested by one guy who wants to play more magic (he didnt make the cut... /sadface). The owner (I think) of Eudemonia, is a really great guy, who is engaged with the events he runs and likes to talk to the players. He made this experience exceptionally fun.
Metagame:
3 ANT
1 Reanimator
1 Merfolk (mono-u)
1 UWR control (w/ wrath, spell snare, planeswalkers, no CB)
1 Horn of Greed/ timewarp deck, similar to the upwelling deck
1 UWB countertop bob thopter foundry deck

Round 1: James with UWB countertop
Game 1: I lose the roll and keep a decent hand, Duress him and take Counterbalance leaving Force, Daze and Bob. He plays top, finds a second Counterbalance and the remaining 3 Forces... not much I can do through all that counter magic.
Game 2: I Duress turn 1 and he forces. I Thoughtseize turn 2 and he spell pierces. He plays a blind CB, follows with top the next turn. I am stuck on one Underground Sea. I don't see another land until after he assembles Sword/Foundry.
0-2, 0-1

Round 2: Annoying Guy who complains with ANT
Before this round Steve was telling me about how his opponent killed himself with Ad Nauseam when he clearly had the kill and then complained about it, while also complaining about Steve always having the Force of Will (IE once) in game 2 when he went off turn 3 unprotected. Needless to say, I am thrilled to be playing him this round. I would really like it if people stopped complaining endlessly when they lose, especially to their own poor play. Bad luck is part of the game and it happens to everyone. If you are making it worse by not knowing how to count to 10 and or not knowing how to play your deck then please, for the love of god stop complaining all together. You have no right to make 50 minutes of your opponents' day miserable.
Game 1: I lose the roll. He duresses me turn 1 takes an Ad Nauseam. I thoughtseize him and take Ad Nauseam, but he can go off anyway. he gets to BBB with IT on the stack, sacks LED for UUU, floats a B through Ad Nauseam and flips 4 Brainstorms, a Mystical tutor 2 Lotus Petals some rituals and a lot of other stuff going to 3 life. Tops a bunch, shuffles some and then fizzles when he can't find a Tendrils.
I untap make some mana search for tendrils and kill him.
Endless bitching ensues.
Game 2: He boards in 1 card and is super fast to keep his hand. I guess he drew is sacrament. I keep 2 land a top and Bob. Turn 1 he Plays Dark Ritual into Sadistic Sacrament. Takes out my Sacrament, Extirpate and an Ad Nauseam and comments on how lucky I was to open with 1 of my tendrils in hand. I play Thoughtseize, his hand is garbage. Turn 2 He does nothing, I play bob. Turn 3 Bob reveals Bob, I play Top, Bob #2. Beatdown commences, bitching ensues.
He admits to not knowing how to sideboard at all and says that he thinks it must be wrong to bring in Bob... I use all of my will power to not tell him that he should probably quit magic and avoid any job where he needs to man a cash register since his skill set doesn't really show much promise in that area.
2-2, 1-1

Round 3: James' Friend with UWR Planeswalkers, a great guy who more than made up for Whiny McWhinerson last round
Game 1: I'm not really sure what is in his deck but i know it is slow so I decide to play it safe and wait until i can duress and combo in the same turn. It works out pretty well and I go off on turn 5.
Game 2: a little more involved, I keep a not so good 7. He plays turn 2 Ethersworn Cannonist which beats me down for a while as I scuplt my hand with brainstorms. I draw into Krosan Grip and pass the turn back. we both lack action and he has a hand full of Swords that he kept in to fight Bob. I finally draw a Mystical Tutor to find the Ad Nauseam knowing that is hand is 2 StP and some land the rest is easy.
4-2, 2-1

Cut to top 4: Steve with Reanimator
Steve says he is going to scoop since he is borrowing my cards, but I am having none of it. We have to battle it out. Plus he is a better player than most people I know who pilot Reanimator so the games will be valuable.
Game 1: We trade discard effects until I am sure he has no force and I go IT into Ad Nauseam for the win.
Game 2: I think this matchup improves greatly for ANT post board. I don't draw any sideboard cards, but have a lot of Rituals, 1 Top and a Tendrils. Top finds the other top on turn 2 and I make 12 storm for the win. Duress really put Steve behind as he had to hide his force.
6-2, 3-1

Finals: A very nice guy with merfolk
I decline a split as we played the extra rounds to play more games and I am not a Nor-Cal regular, plus I like my matchup against most merfolk players.
Game 1: He says "I know I shouldn't keep this, but I'm going to". Always a good way to start a match. Turns out he kept a one lander, with a Daze and a Cursecatcher. Turn 1 Duress takes the Daze from him, he plays Cursecatcher, I hold back my Thoughtseize until i know I am going off, choosing to develop and sculpt via fetches and Brainstorm. He hits a second land and plays Silver Gil Adept, I combo him off on turn 4.
Game 2: He keeps a better hand and leads with Cursecatcher. I just lay a land. Turn 3 he plays a vial. I Thoughtseize and he dazes, I pay and take Force, leaving some lords and Extirpate during my mainphase (SUPERFAIL). Turn 4 he plays a lord, I combo around a Daze and a Cursecatcher. We exchange niceties and get our store credit.
8-2, 4-1
Totals for the week: 14-2, 7-1.

Props:
- Bay area players for being a friendly bunch and talking a lot after the matches.
- ANT for serving me up some solid hands.
- Steve for driving down to San Jose and to Eudemonia, and for playing.
- Tim for being an awesome dude, buying my left over standard and extended cards and find some cards that were not in superstars' database for trade ins.
- The owner of Eudemonia for being a really nice guy, he seems like he really cares about magic and the players who visit his store.

Slops:
- Vintage at Superstars and GP:DC for taking players away from the legacy event at Eudemonia.
- People who act like children, complain and need to learn how to count for playing magic.
- The parents of the aforementioned man-children.
- Me for not taking notes and forgetting everyone's name. Sorry guys

hyc8028
06-02-2010, 12:29 AM
I am glad you enjoy playing MTG in the bay area. The timing of the Eudo event was bad because a lot of people were getting for finals. Bay area are filled with people playing standard and limited. It is nice to see some legacy event around SF. It is a good sign that the format is growing.

Scatterbrain
06-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Looks like you played the one week I wasn't there :(

At Superstars the meta usually only has 0-1 ANT players so nobody really practices it and there are rarely sideboard cards against it. Everyone kinda just plays countertop or merfolk from what ive seen.

Hope you come back though, we always need more legacy players in our tournaments.