PDA

View Full Version : New Bannings

xXxBretWeedxXx
06-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Well a lot of the broken fun is gone in EDH now, Rofellos is back to being a banned general, Tolarian Acedemy, Channel, and Staff of Domination got the ban hammer too. Sucks.

http://forum.dragonhighlander.net/EDH_Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4124

Bryant Cook
06-18-2010, 03:16 PM
I guess Thraximundar loses Academy and Maga loses Staff for me. Oh well....

menace13
06-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Channel Emrakul was pretty good online.

xXxBretWeedxXx
06-18-2010, 03:19 PM
I'll have to cut Magus of the Coffers from my Oona list in addition to Academy and Staff. It'll still be broken though, just now Coffers is the key piece.

fusionshogun
06-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Academy, you will be missed. ):

majikal
06-18-2010, 04:55 PM
I'll have to cut Magus of the Coffers from my Oona list in addition to Academy and Staff. It'll still be broken though, just now Coffers is the key piece.
Do you not run Grim Monolith + Power Artifact?

@ Bannings - These are all pretty much welcome, IMO. I'm not so certain Rofellos is quite as busted without Staff of Domination, but he does enable some ridiculously fast plays that seem to go against the spirit of EDH.

Atwa
06-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Damn,

I had just finished my Roffelos deck as my first real life deck. Very nice, I just traded the Hall of Gemstone I was still missing. Now I love to design new decks, but this pretty much sucks a day after I finally finished trading.

Don't care too much about Channel and Staff. Academy is a shame, but I can live with it.

TeenieBopper
06-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Welp, there goes my Sen Triplets deck idea.

Jason
06-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Damn,

I had just finished my Roffelos deck as my first real life deck. Very nice, I just traded the Hall of Gemstone I was still missing. Now I love to design new decks, but this pretty much sucks a day after I finally finished trading.

You can always play Omnath as your mono-green general. He can eat face pretty quickly.

Tog
06-19-2010, 02:17 AM
I'm really glad Rofellos is gone. Everytime one of our EDH group would pull out the deck, we'd have to curb stomp Rofellos until it cost 8 or 10 mana until we could continue with our game as normal. Every once in a while it would go unchecked and bash with Eldrazis. The Rofellos deck didn't even have any infinite combos in it. It just wasn't very fun.

majikal
06-19-2010, 12:57 PM
You can always play Omnath as your mono-green general. He can eat face pretty quickly.
This. Plus, Rofellos is only banned as a general, so you can play Omnath and just have Rofellos in your deck somewhere and it ends up being almost the same.

Zach Tartell
06-20-2010, 12:44 PM
OH G-D I'M SO GLAD ACADEMY IS GONE.

(it's dumb that we can't do full caps anymore. stupid troopatroop)

Bryant Cook
06-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Yeah. I lose my super big island.

TheAardvark
06-20-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm not one to combo out in EDH unless it involves 3+ cards and ridiculous hoops, so I firmly believe that all were deserved, but now my 3 foil Staffs will be awful lonely without a home.

Tanarin
06-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Hasn't been pointed out, but in light of some other bannings, I find this quite hilarious.

http://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/16556731332

ELD
06-24-2010, 08:50 PM
I should just stop making decks. I actually have Azami built, and I lose Academy. This makes it harder to combo off. I'm fine with that.

Channel was probably the best card in EDH. 40 life more than enables a win every time. I'm glad I didn't spend any money on a deck that abuses it in real life. I'm working on Karn, and I'm sad to lose Staff of Domination. It wasn't insane, but it did provide some combo action.

sunshine
06-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Hasn't been pointed out, but in light of some other bannings, I find this quite hilarious.

http://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/16556731332

This brought a smile to my face.

emidln
06-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Sadly my EDH combo deck is now lost. I probably didn't need to be winning on turn 3 anyway.

RexFTW
07-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Sadly my EDH combo deck is now lost. I probably didn't need to be winning on turn 3 anyway.

I wonder why they got banned? hrmmmm?

Gibbie_X
07-20-2010, 01:11 AM
I like the idea of curb stomping Rofellos several time. Literally. So I take it no one wants a Eldrazi ever coming out. Why don't they ban them. I think the very printing of those monstrosities ruins Elder Dragon as well as other formats.

AngryTroll
07-20-2010, 11:31 AM
I like the idea of curb stomping Rofellos several time. Literally. So I take it no one wants a Eldrazi ever coming out. Why don't they ban them. I think the very printing of those monstrosities ruins Elder Dragon as well as other formats.

They're probably fine in the late game. They're not fine on turn 2 with Channel, or super early with Rofellos. I haven't seen the Eldrazi in action in person, but in today's Embracing the Chaos (http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/multiplayer/19738_Embracing_The_Chaos_The_Decks_I_Love.html), Sheldon Menery says that

While Rise of the Eldrazi hasn’t warped the format as Ken Nagle thought it might, it has certainly provided some material (and I’m sure an Emrakul discussion will ensue)..

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn seems to be the worst of the bunch, but he's not ruining everything.

Bryant Cook
07-20-2010, 01:15 PM
It sucks to be in a 3-4 player game and see bibery resolve on the dude with emrakul in his deck.