PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Forestwalking in the park - 1st place with Elves in São Paulo

lebarion
06-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Hello, guys,
It's been a while since I've last played Magic. My last tournament was 3 months ago, with a different list of the deck (with NO and Progenitus), and I did a disapointing 4-3 being a little bit unlucky. Since then, I haven't played Magic.
Two weeks ago I was missing my hobby and started to test this deck again. I was never too happy with the NO+Progenitus package 'cause most times I win with it, I feel it was win more. As I think Sylvan Messenger is a key part of the deck and I found myself chaining Messengers in many matches, I decided to put more elves in its place, and was pretty happy with the results.

I've discussed some sideboard options with my team, fearing reanimator because of Iona and Blazing Archon (I've never saw Loyal Retainers in Brazil). I've found a so-so solution for this guys in Elvish Skysweeper, which could be used as a 1-of to be fetched with SotF. And he could kill even Emrakul.
Althouh I see white being the best color for sideboard options (Absolute Law, Gaddock, and I was thinking about Plowshares against Zoo) and Mirror Entity is cool maindeck, I like having a rock-hard manabase, and I think red is more important for Squee and Anger. So, I trusted in my lucky against Zoo, and kept the Gr version.
The night before the champ, I went to Mayckol's house (he's a old teammate). We talked about matchups, played a little bit and choose sideboard. I tested the Grw version again, dismissed it and decided for this list:

10 Forest
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Windswept Heath
2 Taiga
1 Mountain

4 Survival of the Fittest
1 Anger
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob

3 Llanowar Elves
3 Fyndhorn Elves
2 Quirion Ranger
1 Wirewood Symbiote
1 Joraga Warcaller
4 Priest of Titania
2 Wren's Run Vanquisher
1 Viridian Zealot
4 Elvish Archdruid
4 Imperious Perfect
4 Elvish Champion
4 Sylvan Messenger
2 Wren's Run Packmaster

-- Sideboard
3 Tormod's Crypt
1 Faerie Macabre
3 Krosan Grip
4 Null Rod
1 Caller of the Claw
1 Genesis
1 Spore Frog
1 Magus of the Moon

The side is good against a variety of decks such as Merfolk, Stax, Enchantress, Dredge and Countertop. But is bad against bad matches such as Zoo, Tempo Thresh, and is so-so against Aggro Loam and Reanimator. I didn't expect to see storm combo, but Null Rod could have helped in this match, too.

At the last moment I see a guy buying a Blazing Archon in the store, and I think about putting Elvish Skysweeper in the place of the Spore Frog. But I realize he's going to play Dredge, and so I keep the frog.

~24 people

Team Bizarros:
ANT (Shimi)
Countertop Progenitus (Fuzzy)
Survival Elves (me)
GW (Nuclear)
GWb (Mayckol)
BGw (Mimo)
BW (João)

Rest of the field (what I've seen of it):
1 Merfolk
3-4 Zoo
1 Dredge
2 Countertop
2 Enchantress
1 Faeries n'Samurais MonoU
1-2 MonoBlack
1 Dream halls combo
2 Stax

Diogo, Mono Brow Stax with Staff of domination and Metalworker (won 2-1)
Game 1: I keep a bad hand with 2 Forest, Viridian Zealot and 4 Lords. When I find a Llanowar Elf, there's already a CotV at 1 in the battlefield. When I find the third forest, there's already a Metalworker and a Staff of Domination. He kills me with Banefire.
Sideboard:
+4 Null Rod, +3 Krosan Grip, +1 Magus of the Moon, +1 Genesis
-2 Wren's Run vanquisher, -2 Wren's Run Packmaster, -2 Elvish Champion, -1 Sylvan Messenger, -1 Joraga Warcaller, -1 Wirewood Symbiote

Game 2: I muligan to 6 and keep 2 lands and Null Rod. I play the Rod in turn two, and he apparently have no way to destroy it. He stalls the game with Ensnaring Bridge and CotV at 1 and 2 before i land Survival. I keep playing elves, and eventually find a Krosan Grip. I Destroy the CotV on 2, Play Survival, Zealot, disenchant the bridge, and attack.

Game 3: similar to the second, except that my initial hand didn't have the Null Rod, but SoTF and Zealot. I draw the Null rod in the third turn.
1-0

Thiago, Merfolk (won 2-0)
Game 1: I kept a aggro hand with 2 Forest, Llanowar, Quirion, Titania, Champion and Warcaller. When Warcaller comes with 4 counters in turn 4, he scoops.

Sideboard: +4 Null Rod, -2 Wren's Run Packmaster, -2 Elvish Champion

Game 2: this was my most exciting game of the whole tournament. I open a quick hand with 2 Quirion, Champion, Archdruid, and Imperious Perfect. He opens quick, too, with Vial, Silvergil Adept and Reejerey. Vial puts a Lord of Atlantis in play before Null Rod appears. I attack with two Quirion Rangers. Next turn, I play Survival and attack with the Rangers, but he submerges an Archdruid and kill my rangers.
In his turn, a Sovereing makes a 6/5 Silvergil unblockable.
My hand was 1 forest. I draw the submerged archdruid and activate survival. He stifles. I create a Elf Warrior with Imperious Perfect and pass.
He attacks with all his guys. I block the Sovereign with two elf warriors killing him, block a Mishra's Factory to kill it too, and the other fishes put me down to 5 life.
I draw a Llanowar elf and activate Survival. He stifles again :(. My hand was empty. I create a Elf Warrior and pass.
He attacks with all his guys once again, and I have to block everything. I choose to keep the Imperious Perfect and the Priest of Titania, and sacrifice the other elves without killing any merfolk. I'm at 1 life now.
I draw another elf, and this time Survival activation is not stifled. I wanted to get a Quirion Ranger so that I can create more elf warriors per turn with Imperious Perfect, but I have no more left in the deck. I trust my deck, fetch the Anger, and the a Sylvan Messenger. I don't remember exactly how it goes form then on, but the Messenger reveals what the deck have: Elves. I play more Titanias, more Messengers, and at the end of my turns I have 6 untapped creatures, the exact amount of merfolks I had to block, and a bunch of lords.
I didn't realize that if he draws a merfolk, he could tap on of my elves with his Reejerey. Fortunatelly, he drew a FoW.

2-0

Fuzzy, Countertop progenitus (won 2-0)
Game 1: He tried to counter some spells that would have caused problems to him, such as Sylvan Messenger, Elvish Champion, Imperious Perfect... my whole deck. He played NO on Progenitus, but forestwalk guaranteed I was faster.
Game 2: This game was similar to the first one. Two Messengers gave me 7 elves, including two Elvish Champions. He have only one Plowshares, and Forestwalk won again.

3-0

Gustavo, Supreme Blue (won 2-0)
Both games he played early counterbalance and top, but even though counterbalance was able to counter some spells, some key spells of mine resolved and gave me the edge.
Game 1 was decided when he countered an Archdruid with counterbalance, but was unable to counter SotF. He had no clock and I was able to play around counterbalance with Squee. Eventually 3 Lords sealed the deal.

Sideboard: +2 Krosan Grip, +1 Caller of the Claw, +1 Magus of the Moon, -1 Viridian Zealot, -2 Wren's Run Vanquisher, -1 Joraga Warcaller

Game 2 was a little bit closer because besides the early counter-top, he had an ealry Goyf. I didn't see SotF and went to aggro mode. In the key turn, I had 3 Forests in play and 3 Lords in my hand. I played the Archdruid. If he killed the Archdruid I probably wouldn't be able to recover. But the Archdruid sticks and in the next turn I play two more lords, being out of Firespout's range. With 3 4/4 in my side, he had to keep his goy in the defense. I eventually find enough elves to stomp him.

4-0

Mini Indie, Dredge - ID
We played for fun 'cause I don't know how to play against Dredge and wanted to test.
First game I opened with a bunch of quick elves, and his Golgari-Grave Troll showed no other dredger. I was able to create a huge amount of wolfs by turn 5.

Sideboard: -1 Wren's Run Packmaster, -1 Viridian Zealot, -2 Elvish Champion, -2 Sylvan Messenger, +3 Tormod's Crypt, +1 Faerie Macabre, +1 Spore Frog, +1 Genesis

Second game we both muliganned to 5. I kept a hand with Llanowar Elf, Quirion Ranger, SotF, Titania's Priest and Lord. I thought that he wouldn't be able to win so quickly with 5 cards, and if I draw a forest, in 2 turns Faerie Macabre would be fetcheable with SotF. My first draw was Tormod's Crypt, my second Draw was forest. :)

4-0-1

I won the champ, and a good prize of a revised Savannah, a Coralhelm Commander, a ultra-pro deckbox and a KMC shield.

Props:
Team Bizarros, best Magic team of the galaxy.
Mayckol, for the trainning and his wife Karla for the pasta in friday's night.
Nuclear, for the help with the sideboard.
Fuzzy, for realizing the prize was wrong :)
Domain Games, for the organization and good prizes.
Forestwalk
Null Rod

Slops:
Fuzzy: "mimimi no firespout mimimi"
1 apple and 2 bananas the whole day.

Shimi
06-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Gratz again!! Nice report, if I would know that you was going to write such good report at Source I would drop and make some top4 photos.

There is a Props missing: Joao for Toped 4 and Nuclear losing to his one savannah!!

And see your at next Super Bizarros meeting.

Fuzzy
06-27-2010, 12:50 PM
I had another missing props: My übber master blaster idea to play a (literally) random deck w/ Shimi. Because that, my deck was wrong and I had to play with NO-Progenitus package instead of Firespouts. Because THAT you win! /mimimi

Nuclear's Progenitus is a prop/slop too.

Anyway, congratz (again) to take the whole thing to home!

Shimi
06-27-2010, 05:14 PM
I had another missing props: My übber master blaster idea to play a (literally) random deck w/ Shimi. Because that, my deck was wrong and I had to play with NO-Progenitus package instead of Firespouts. Because THAT you win! /mimimi

Nuclear's Progenitus is a prop/slop too.

Anyway, congratz (again) to take the whole thing to home!

Do not have fetchs to suport ANT and Goblins(with scatena) and SupremeBlue, next time you will see a Phyrexian Dreadnougth at your first 7 cards..

ScatmanX
06-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Amazing! Tribal FtW!
Glad to see that the non-Prog build worked out.
Null Rods are awesome right? told ya.

You ever felt that 1 or 2 Staff of Domination, or other "bomb" like Survival would have worth it?

Congratz man! =D

lebarion
06-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Amazing! Tribal FtW!
Glad to see that the non-Prog build worked out.
Null Rods are awesome right? told ya.

You ever felt that 1 or 2 Staff of Domination, or other "bomb" like Survival would have worth it?

Congratz man! =D

Congratz to you, too :)

I've tested the Staffs and they really are bombs. Sometimes they really mean "I win now". The main problem with them, though, is that they don't help in problematic matchups.
If Priest of Titania can be tapped for five mana, odds are you're winning anyway. If you have few elves and need help, Staff does little to nothing.
The cards I've put to replace the NO package are either bombs or "time bombs". Wren's Run Packmaster can generate a huge amount of wolfs, and his 5/5 body helps a lot against Zoo. Joraga Warcaller can fuel Titania's Priest in the early game, and later can make your elves huge. And Wirewood Symbiote can protect your elves, and have great sinergy with Sylvan Messenger.

Thanks, everybody!