PDA

View Full Version : Flying Spaghetti Monster

Grumpollion
06-27-2010, 05:26 PM
This is a semi-casual deck that seeks to win either by dropping Emrakul (the Flying Spaghetti Monster) or infinitely recurring Mindslaver or, in a pinch, beating down with Krosan Tuskers. An early object is to get lots of lands into play and then Scapeshift into at least 4 Cloudposts and, if possible, Academy Ruins and an island. Twelve green walls provide early defense, card draw, and mana production with Overgrown Battlement.

The list:

1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Fierce Empath
4 Krosan Tusker

4 Overgrown Battlement
4 Wall of Blossoms
4 Carven Caryatid
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder

4 Nature's Lore
4 Scapeshift
2 Gifts Ungiven
1 Regrowth
1 Eternal Witness

1 Mindslaver
1 Oblivion Stone

1 Academy Ruins
1 Island
4 Tranquil Thicket
4 Cloudpost
11 Forest

Explanations:

Fierce Empath fetches Emrakul or Krosan Tuskers, and chump blocks.

Krosan Tuskers provide targets for your Fierce Empaths when they are more desirable than Emrakul, and in the early game can be cycled for basic lands and cards.

Wall of Blossoms and Carven Caryatid both provide defense against early critters and draw cards.

Overgrown Battlement takes advantage of the high defender count in order to ramp up mana.

Sakura-Tribe Elder and Nature's Lore are early mana ramps, and Elder also chump blocks.

Scapeshift gets your Cloudposts, Academy Ruins, and Island into play so that you can drop Emrakul or recur Mindslaver or Oblivion Stone.

Gifts Ungiven, in concert with Eternal Witness and Regrowth, pretty much gets you whatever two other cards you want. If your opponent gives you Eternal Witness and Regrowth, you can use them to return the cards you actually wanted from your graveyard. Note: it might not be a good idea to use Gifts to try to fetch Emrakul, since Emrakul shuffles your graveyard back into your library when Emrakul hits the graveyard. Often, the better idea, if you don't yet have Emrakul in your hand, is to choose Fierce Empath as one of your four cards. Academy Ruins, Oblivion Stone, Mindslaver, and Regrowth/Eternal Witness isn't a bad Gifts pile either, since Ruins can bring back the artifacts.

In previous versions of the deck, I also tried Harrow and Wurmcalling, but I didn't really have room for them. Krosan Tusker beats out Harrow, in my opinion, because Tusker thins the deck just as much as Harrow, produces more CA when used in conjunction with Fierce Empath, and gives you extra big beaters/blockers if you need them.

GenioDeArena
06-30-2010, 06:23 PM
How is the goldfishing for this deck? it seems like an interesting Idea. I know you tested it, but Wurmcalling has my seal of approval in clouspost decks, even as a one of.

Col idea

A.

Grumpollion
07-02-2010, 12:44 AM
How is the goldfishing for this deck? it seems like an interesting Idea. I know you tested it, but Wurmcalling has my seal of approval in clouspost decks, even as a one of.

Col idea

A.

Emrakul can be cast (thereby getting the extra turn) as early as turn 4 (turn 1 Forest, turn 2 Forest + Elder (sac)/Lore/Battlement, turn 3 Forest + Scapeshift, turn 4 Emrakul), but I wouldn't say that's a typical result.

I've been thinking of trying to fit in Tangle Golem and Food Chain, but I'm not sure what these would replace, if anything. Probably, I'd take out Tuskers for Golems, and replace Gifts, Regrowth, and Witness with Food Chains.

heroicraptor
07-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Tuskers are so much better than Tangle Golems.

Grumpollion
07-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Tuskers are so much better than Tangle Golems.

Tuskers are 6/5, and Golems are only 5/4, but Golems come down as early as turn 3, and produce just as much mana when sacrificed to Food Chain as Tuskers do. Sac an Empath and a Golem (which you fetched with Empath) to Food Chain for 12 mana, and you've probably got enough mana from that plus your lands to cast Emrakul, even if you haven't Scapeshifted into Cloudposts.

I would miss the Tuskers' cycling ability, though. I'm just thinking that between cycling Tusker on turn 3 or playing a 5/4 on turn 3, I'd lean towards the latter.

GenioDeArena
07-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Sadly Food Chains require you tu exile the creature not sacrifice it. Ive been trying to build a Chains deck sometime in the past and if you go that route Evoke is your new friend, Skyshround Cutter+Fierce Empath+Walker of the Grove= B Plan Beatings. Ive never tried Mono G Chains, allways ended adding Blue in the mix: Cloud of Faeries, Mulldrifter, Raven Familiar, Daze.
Heck, even Carnival of Souls might be usefull here!

Grumpollion
07-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Sadly Food Chains require you tu exile the creature not sacrifice it. Ive been trying to build a Chains deck sometime in the past and if you go that route Evoke is your new friend, Skyshround Cutter+Fierce Empath+Walker of the Grove= B Plan Beatings. Ive never tried Mono G Chains, allways ended adding Blue in the mix: Cloud of Faeries, Mulldrifter, Raven Familiar, Daze.
Heck, even Carnival of Souls might be usefull here!

Doh! You're right. Back to the drawing board! Protean Hulk could be used with Metamorphosis for the desired effect, but not Food Chain.

Maybe Godo, Bandit Warlord and Deathrender. Fetch Godo with Empath, cast Godo, fetch and put Deathrender, equip Deathrender to Elder/Baloth, sac Elder/Baloth (using his own ability), put Emrakul onto battlefield. Here's a possible list following that thought:

1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
2 Protean Hulk
1 Paleoloth
1 Godo, Bandit Warlord
1 Root Elemental

4 Fierce Empath

1 Ravenous Baloth

4 Overgrown Battlement
4 Wall of Blossoms
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder

4 Nature's Lore / Search For Tomorrow
4 Scapeshift
4 Chord of Calling
4 Manamorphose

1 Deathrender

1 Eye of Ugin
4 Cloudpost
1 Taiga
4 Wooded Foothills
10 Forest

This list can execute some fun loops. For example, with Baloth in play, and Empath in hand:

A cast Empath (trigger Empath)
B fetch 1st Hulk
D cast 1st Hulk
E sac 1st Hulk to Baloth (+4 life) (trigger 1st Hulk)
F fetch & put 2 Empaths (trigger Empaths)
G fetch 2nd Hulk & Paleoloth
I cast Paleoloth
J cast 2nd Hulk (trigger Paleoloth)
K return 1st Hulk to hand from graveyard
L sac 2nd Hulk to Baloth (+4 life) (trigger 2nd Hulk)
M fetch & put Godo (trigger Godo)
N fetch & put Deathrender
P cast 1st Hulk (trigger Paleoloth)
Q return 2nd Hulk to hand from graveyard
R equip Deathrender to 1st Hulk
S sac 1st Hulk to Baloth (+4 life) (trigger 1st Hulk & Deathrender)
T fetch & put 6-mana worth of creatures
U put 2nd Hulk into play from hand; Deathrender attaches to 2nd Hulk (trigger Paleoloth)
V return 1st Hulk to hand from graveyard
W sac 2nd Hulk to Baloth (+4 life) (trigger 2nd Hulk & Deathrender)
X fetch & put 6-mana worth of creatures
Y put 1st Hulk into play from hand; Deathrender attaches to 1st Hulk (trigger Paleoloth)
Z return 2nd Hulk to hand from graveyard
RETURN TO STEP S if desired