PDA

View Full Version : Bgw Midrange at Jupiter Games 6/26

Bluemagex2517
06-28-2010, 04:29 PM
The following deck was designed by Eli Kassis and Seneca Hobler. Two weeks before the tournament Sen mentioned off handedly “you could just play my deck,” and thus I did. There are a few changes I would make based on how the metagame was and how it is changing. I’ll break those down for you at the end. First, the list:
Main Deck:
3 Bayou
3 Scrub Land
4 Wasteland
4 Marsh Flats
4 Verdant Catacomb
1 Plains
1 Forest
3 Swamp

4 Tarmagoyf
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Tombstalker
3 Gate keeper of Malakir
2 Faerie Macabre
2 Withered Wretch

4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Thoughtsieze
4 Hymn to Tourach
3 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Pernicious Deed

Sideboard:
2 Umezawa’s Jitte
2 Duress
3 Engineered Plague
3 Extirpate
1 Tormod’s Crypt
2 Krosan Grip
2 Perish

It was posted incorrectly -1 Plains and +1 Macabre after the tourney. The strengths of this deck are its ability to crush counterbalance decks NO or not, it’s solid MUs against tribal deck, and its ability to take on random crap. Its major weakness is its inability to deal with “unfair” draws. Without thoughtseize and hymn storm is a beating. Without swords in the opening at Lackey on the other side of the board can be game over. It’s hard to catch-up to a turn 1 manabond without withered wretch. However, I’ll take the odds of them not having the nuts 2/3 of games.

The deck is strange for legacy because a. its not very fast and b. its rather fair by comparison c. it doesn't play FOW. Despite not fitting the mold of those pillars of our modern metagame it still wins... a lot.

Round 1: Inga playing Merfolk
The first game is pretty epic. She leads with cursecatcher into cursecatcher into rej. I follow with Tarmogoyf and pulse the lord. She swords (or paths I don’t remember) and beats me to 5 with double vial on board before I can deed away the board and stabilize. I sandbag double gatekeeper and a waste to eventually take the game. Game 2 I get the perfect draw, turn 1 Thoughtseize, turn 2 hymn, turn 3 E. Plague, turn 4 E. Plague. Funny story: She attacks with Faerie conclave with Plague out. The judge stops us to ask what Plague is on. I say “merfolk…” and he very awkwardly says, “That makes sense.”

1-0

Round 2: Will Playing Bant Survival
Will and I played an epic game to a draw at the last Jupiter legacy event. We were both playing different decks so it was on. Unfortunately in the first game I had all the removal in the world, but no pulse or withered wretch to deal with survival. In the second game I drew 2 k-grips and 2 extirpates, and he proceeded to beat down with Rhox exalted with double strike. I never draw swords, pulse or deed.

1-1

Rounds 3/4
I’m not sure which of these round I played Rb Goblins and which I played C-balance. Counter Balance I destroyed like I was supposed to. Goblins I beat by the skin of my teeth the first game making a clutch play to deed away 2 vials leaving his warchief on board. The second game he has turn 1 lackey, attacks out Siege Gang Commander and the next turn drops piledriver. The third game I get E. Plague, Deed away vials, and eventually land the second E. Plague. At one point the judge walked by and I pointed to Plague and remarked, “Still not on the Faeries.”

3-1

Rounds 5/6

2 counterblance decks, 1 is old school counterbalance with Sower, shackles and firespout. I don’t get to board in perish but still dominate. The other is Counterblance NO and Perish is a beating for him.

5-1 my tie breakers are above 70%

Round 7 ID with Tariq who is playing Tempo Bant.

6-1-1

Top 8 Dan with Team America
He’s the only player I haven’t scouted. Game 1 he fetches underground and ponders. I put him on storm. I waste. He fetches and ponders again. I fetch out a bayou (misplay of the tournament) and Hymn. He forces, then wastes. Awkward… Now my second hymn is stranded in hand and by the time I draw my next land he has lethal with force back-up. Game 2 I open with 1 land, mull to 6 with 1 land, mull to 5 with 0 land, mull to 4 with 0 land, mull to three and keep dark. Have a land, but it’s not enough. The first hand seems like a keep in hindsight, because it had thoughtseize and double hymn, but if he has sinkhole or I don’t draw another land he wins anyway. I should have fetched out a basic swamp in game 1. The mulls were all correct, just very unlucky.

If anyone is interested in how to board individual MUs then ask.

When I play the deck in the future, maindeck: -2 Faerie Macabre, -1 Tombstalker, -1 Scrubland, +3 Knight of the Reliquary, +1 Horizon Canopy. Sideboard: -1 Tormod’s Crypt, -2 Duress, +1 Bojuka bog, +1 Gaddock Teeg, +1 Ethersworn Cannonist.

Duress wasn't actually coming in against control, so I figured I might as well replace them with some more powerful combo hate. Faerie macabre was a main deck answer to reanimator. With knight this deck plays all three of the best creatures in legacy.

I didn't come back for the second day.

p.s. don't talk to me about sinkhole, ritual or hyppies. They are all terrible cards in the archetype right now.

DownSyndromeKarl
06-29-2010, 02:07 PM
man, no love for the guy who lent you 75% of the $ cards... Not to mention this is my deck(literally) -Reanimate/Snuff out +Wretch/Macabre. too mean Matt...too mean.

I do like the idea of KotR though...

Bluemagex2517
06-29-2010, 02:40 PM
First off, you originally said no and I had to talk you and Mike who owns the more important cards in your deck into borrowing it. Second, most of the time I borrow 75% of the cards in any given deck I run... So thanks Jeff, and thanks Mike. Oh and thanks D Rae for the Chinese 7th edition white bordered duresses, and Joe for the scrubland, and Justin for extipate. See, I normally don't thank everyone in these things, I do that in person. I listed Eli and Sen as sources so that people don't think that this was my idea. That would be intelectually dishonest.

Knight actually hasn't been doing well in testing. There are just so many decks where I want to fetch swamp swamp before I get any colored land into play that I often fail to get him out until turn 5. And if they waste me he can get stranded in hand. While great in theory I may try 4 tombstalker 2 persecuter, or 2 duress, or 2 Jitte, or 2 some other card.

Shimi
06-29-2010, 08:56 PM
You MUST play Sensei's Divining Top, it just make you draw removals and threads during all game.Just try it and see..

Bluemagex2517
06-30-2010, 06:07 PM
You MUST play Sensei's Divining Top, it just make you draw removals and threads during all game.Just try it and see..

Yeah I can see running top as a 2 of in that open slot I just mentioned.