PDA

View Full Version : Mirari's Wake - Deck Concept Help!

Tog
07-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Hello everybody! I was trying to build a new EDH deck based on the Mirari's Wake decks from another time. The colors I wanted to use were GWx. Between Sterling Grove, Idyllic Tutor, Enlightened Tutor and Mana Reflection, I figured I'd have enough ways to find a copy.

Red gives me access to some amazing finishers for all the mana that the deck will be generating like: Reiterate, Banefire, and Comet Storm(!!). I'm sure there are some other great mana sinks I haven't even thought of yet. However, my only problem is I'm left without any card draw engines.

Blue gives me some protection in the form of counters, a great draw engine, and Wargate. Unfortunately, in this trio of colors, I don't really have anyway to utilize the mana to help me win the game. So far the only win conditions I could think of are Decree of Justice, Martial Coup, Luminarch Ascension, and Capsize (but that's really boring).

I don't want to take this deck to five colors because I feel the deck then loses its identity.

So I have three questions for you guys:
(1) If I decide to take the deck in the GWR direction, what are some card advantage engines? The only ones I can think of are Survival of the Fittest and I don't think this deck will be creature based deck.

(2) If I decide to take the deck in the GWU direction, what are some good mana sinks?

(3) The last option is to go GWB and that opens up card draw as well. Does anyone know of any good finishers in those colors?

Thanks for the help,
- Tog

Pastorofmuppets
07-01-2010, 01:24 PM
If you go GWu you have Ethereal Usher to tutor for Wake as well. Keeper of Progenitus is another mana builder as well.
Protean Hydra and Feral Hydra will get big fast and are >$1 apiece if you know where to look. Things like Braingeyser can win for you or fill up your hand. Gelatinous Genesis might be unstoppable with a lot of mana.

xXxBretWeedxXx
07-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Stroke of Genius and Planar Portal/Beacon of Tommorows are some other win cons for the blue side of things. You can also just ramp into fatties.

94teen
07-01-2010, 08:59 PM
You could always go the token route for card advantage.

Hazezon Tamar and Avenger of Zendikar make for some interesting board states with skullclamp.

There's also stuff like Restock, All Suns' Dawn, and whatnot for recursion. Life from the Loam and cycle lands for card advantage, and helps find a Wake effect, and can be recurred with something like Replenish and Recoup.

Mirari for big spells if that's the route you're going down. My favorite engine in GWR is Emeria/Valakut. Both are awesome, especially with vesuva backing up copies, Miren to recur ETB effects, and Prismatic Omen to turn both of them on.

Pastorofmuppets
07-01-2010, 09:06 PM
// Deck file for Magic Workstation

// Lands
1 Ice Floe
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Celestial Colonnade
1 Stirring Wildwood
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Maze of Ith
1 Bant Panorama
1 Strip Mine
1 Wasteland
1 Tectonic Edge
5 Forest
4 Plains
5 Island
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Tundra
1 Tropical Island
1 Breeding Pool
1 Temple Garden
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Savannah
1 Seaside Citadel
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Temple of the False God
1 Vivid Creek
1 Vivid Grove
1 Vivid Meadow

// Creatures
1 Roil Elemental
1 Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
1 Crovax, Ascendant Hero
1 Admonition Angel
1 Sphinx of Jwar Isle
1 Argothian Elder
1 Fatestitcher
1 Stone-Seeder Hierophant
1 Lotus Cobra
1 Rampaging Baloths
1 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Aven Mindcensor
1 Aven Mimeomancer
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Noble Hierarch
1 Scattershot Archer
1 Omnath, Locus of Mana

// Spells
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Breath of Life
1 Capture of Jingzhou
1 Bear Umbra
1 Time Warp
1 Beacon of Tomorrows
1 Grim Monolith
1 Power Artifact
1 Savor the Moment
1 Basilisk Collar
1 Gelatinous Genesis
1 Idyllic Tutor
1 Muddle the Mixture
1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Braingeyser
1 Stroke of Genius
1 Submerge
1 Earthcraft
1 Squirrel Nest
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Pemmin's Aura
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Condemn
1 Hallowed Burial
1 Planar Cleansing
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Gideon Jura
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Cryptic Command
1 Spin into Myth
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Eladamri's Call
1 Mirari's Wake
1 Forbid
1 Capsize
1 Crop Rotation
1 Regrowth
1 Burgeoning
1 Exploration
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Indestructibility

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Rubinia Soulsinger

majikal
07-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Needs moar Sylvan Library + Abundance.

Pastorofmuppets
07-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Needs moar Sylvan Library + Abundance.

I'm thinking of cutting Jitte and Burgeoning, as so far those are the least impressive cards in here. I dropped Scattershot Archer as well since its synergy with Collar in some matchups doesn't help at all with others.

Pastorofmuppets
07-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Lighthouse Chronologist: When I start counting "Number of Capsizes per turn", you know I'm doing something right.