PDA

View Full Version : Budget-ish Sliver Aggro (WGR)

Exospaciac
07-02-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm pretty sure everyone goes through a Sliver phase sometime in their Magic life. A friend of mine's Sliver phase just started, so I'm trying to help him build a solid 3-color Sliver aggro deck around like $75.

Looking at each of the colors for Slivers, I think WGR would be the best combination. White and green give you two of the best Slivers, Muscle and Sinew, along with 3 different really good one drops. Red gives you a bunch of aggressive guys in the 2, 3, and 4-drop slots. Black doesn't really have much of anything, and blue only gives Crystalline and Winged Sliver.

Here's what I have so far:

// Lands
2 [PT] Mountain (1)
3 [SHM] Plains (4)
3 [LRW] Forest (2)
2 [AP] Battlefield Forge
3 [IA] Karplusan Forest
4 [10E] Brushland
4 [CFX] Ancient Ziggurat

// Creatures
1 [TSP] Harmonic Sliver
3 [TSP] Bonesplitter Sliver
4 [PLC] Sinew Sliver
2 [LE] Essence Sliver
3 [TE] Heart Sliver
3 [LE] Blade Sliver
4 [TSP] Gemhide Sliver
2 [FUT] Homing Sliver
4 [TSP] Sidewinder Sliver
4 [LE] Plated Sliver
4 [TE] Muscle Sliver
1 [TSP] Two-Headed Sliver

// Spells
4 [CST] Swords to Plowshares

Most of the choices are obvious, but I'll go over some of them anyways.

Obviously, AEther Vial would be really good here, but I don't see how I could make Vial fit into the deck's $75-ish limit.

Plated/Sidewinder: I was considering Virulent Sliver as a one drop, but without many evasive Slivers, it'd probably be better just to have one drops that buff the others. These are definitely the next best one drop Slivers.

Homing Sliver: This guy's especially useful if I do end up running Gemhide Sliver. I want something that lets me get rid of my weaker drops lategame, and can help me tutor for one-of Slivers such as Harmonic and Two-Headed Sliver.

Four StP should be enough removal. I chose this over PtE because, well, Plow's way cheaper.

The creature I'm really torn on is the Gemhide Sliver. With the help of Heart Sliver, you can empty your hand on turns 3 and 4 and start swinging with enormous Slivers around turns 4 and 5. Without Heart Sliver though, Gemhide's not nearly as good, and he's complete garbage by himself. He eats removal like crazy, which could be good or bad depending on the rest of your hand. Some opinions on this guy would be nice. I have no problems removing him if he's gonna suck more than anything.

I'm also considering throwing in either Talon Sliver or Watcher Sliver as a one or two of since I have both Bonesplitter and Blade Sliver, but it might not be necessary.

The one guy I'm super disappointed I can't run is Sedge Sliver, but I just don't see how I could get the mana to work.

I'm open to any and all suggestions with this deck. I know there's a million and a half ways to build Sliver aggro, so I expect to hear a lot of different opinions.

GenioDeArena
07-03-2010, 05:26 PM
How about Quick Sliver? you can really help you win counterwalls and confuse opponents destruction spells/mess combat math etc.

Ciberon
07-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Must it be aggro? I could give some suggestions for an aggro-control shell, trading Red for Blue.

(nameless one)
07-03-2010, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't use Swords to Plowshares.

I would rather use Path to Exile as you are an aggro deck. Your opponent gaining life will not help your cause. Also, would addition removal helps (such as Zoo's removal suite)?

By doing so, the deck becomes a Merfolk-Zoo hybrid. I actually like that idea.

Exospaciac
07-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Must it be aggro? I could give some suggestions for an aggro-control shell, trading Red for Blue.

Actually, he'd prefer the aggro-control route. I just don't know how to make it work without at least AEther Vials, which would be about half the budget of the deck. If you can come up with a list or some suggestions though, I'd definitely be down for that.
I just talked to him about it and he said he'd be willing to shell out a little more for a more blue-based aggro-control shell, probably up to around $100 or so.

I wouldn't use Swords to Plowshares.

I would rather use Path to Exile as you are an aggro deck. Your opponent gaining life will not help your cause. Also, would addition removal helps (such as Zoo's removal suite)?

By doing so, the deck becomes a Merfolk-Zoo hybrid. I actually like that idea.

I was thinking about that, and it probably would be better than just running 35 Slivers 4 removal and lands.
How's this, if he does decide to stay WGR:

//Lands - 21
3 Mountain
3 Plains
2 Forest
2 Battlefield Forge
3 Karplusan Forest
3 Brushland
2 Horizon Canopy
3 Ancient Ziggurat

// Creatures - 25
4 Sinew Sliver
2 Essence Sliver
2 Heart Sliver/Quick Sliver
4 Sidewinder Sliver
4 Plated Sliver
4 Muscle Sliver
3 Blade Sliver
2 Bonesplitter Sliver

// Spells - 14
4 Path to Exile
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
3 Flame Slash/Oust/Oblivion Ring/Something else?

How about Quick Sliver? you can really help you win counterwalls and confuse opponents destruction spells/mess combat math etc.

Good call on that, it's probably better than any evasion-giving Slivers if he decides to stay with WGR.

TheMightyQuinn
07-04-2010, 11:16 PM
What about replacing some of the 4-drop slivers with changelings like Mirror Entity or Taurean Mauler?

Exospaciac
07-05-2010, 01:28 PM
What about replacing some of the 4-drop slivers with changelings like Mirror Entity or Taurean Mauler?

I always forget about the Changelings. Yeah, Mirror Entity is definitely going in as a 2-of at least.