PDA

View Full Version : B/G Stax - Savra

94teen
07-09-2010, 11:15 PM
So, resource denial is one of my favorite strategies in this game. I like to set up situations where I can build up incremental advantages with cards like Smokestack and Braids, Cabal Minion. Because of the huge amount of token and general damage in my metagame, I wanted to build something that could wrath multiple player's boards at the same time, while dealing with shrouded generals like Uril.

Savra is a great way to break the symmetry of cards like Barter in Blood, Smokestack, etc, and lets you keep the board clear. All that you need are mechanisms of fueling her abilities; some good sac outlets and recursive sources of creatures. This is what I came up wiith from my first draft; I've played it in two games so far, and have locked 3+ players out of the game each time, and then won 2 or 3 turns later by token beats. You can pretty easily wreck people's boards while maintaining your own, discard each players' hand, and continue developing your plan.

Savra, Queen of the Golgari

Decklist

Lands - 39
7 Forest
9 Swamp
Bayou
Overgrown Tomb
Verdant Catacombs
Tainted Wood
Twlight Mire
Reflecting Pool
Llanowar Wastes
Cabal Coffers
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Vesuva
Deserted Temple
Gaea's Cradle
Wasteland
Tectonic Edge
Barren Moor
Tranquil Thicket
Dakmor Salvage
Khalni Garden
Phyrexian Tower
High Market
Volrath's Stronghold
Bojuka Bog
Dark Depths

Ramp
Seedguide Ash
Yavimaya Elder
Azusa, Lost but Seeking
Primeval Titan

Kodama's Reach
Explosive Vegetation
Reap and Sow

Garruk Wildspeaker
Black Market

Tutors
Beseech the Queen
Demonic Tutor
Realms Uncharted
Buried Alive
Survival of the Fittest
Fauna Shaman

Recursion
Oversold Cemetery
Life from the Loam
Crucible of Worlds
Genesis
Eternal Witness
Gleancrawler

Recursive Beats
Bloodghast
Nether Traitor
Krovikan Horror
Reassembling Skeleton
Grave-Shell Scarab
Shambling Shell
Ashen Ghoul
Vengevine

Tokens
Squirrel Nest
Worm Harvest
Necrogenesis

Ant Queen
Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder
Symbiotic Wurm
Mitotic Slime
Avenger of Zendikar
Creakwood Liege

Hand Disruption
Nath of the Gilt-Left
Sadistic Hypnotist
Mind Slash
Mindslicer

Utility
Vampire Hexmage
Viridian Zealot
Darkest Hour

Card Drawing
Phyrexian Arena
Skullclamp
Infernal Tribute

Removal
Pernicious Deed
Damnation
Barter in Blood
Deathcloud

Braid, Cabal Minion
Smokestack

Grave Pact
Butcher of Malakir

Helm of Posession
Phyrexian Plaguelord
Shriekmaw
Fleshbag Marauder

Here's some thoughts I have for the decklist:

I think it needs more swamps. Too often, Coffers is really bad. I'm thinking of cutting Dakmor Salvage and Dark depths for Swamps.

I'd like to add Carnage Altar and Myojin of Night's Reach, probably over Vengevine and Ashen Goul. Entomb would be a cool addition a a complement to Survival and Buried Alive as tutors for Bloodghast/Nether Traitor.

I'm hoping for a little more input, as I think there's significant room for improvement here. It's a cool idea though, and I think it has lots of potential.

Dave
07-11-2010, 08:31 AM
I recently made a Savra deck and here are some cards I like to play:

Skeletal Vampire and Marsh Flitter: gives you tokens and a sacrifice outlet for them
Nim Devourer: another recursive beast
Corpse Harvester: can tutor for Shambling Shell, Fleshbag Marauder, Gutless Ghul, Nim Devourer....
Carrion: tokens with instant speed!
Dread Return: always useful.
Skullmulcher: dream team with Endrek Sahr
Contamination: annoys everybody ;)
Victimize: obvious
Makeshift Mannequin: instant reanimate!
Diabolic Intent: 2nd Demonic Tutor
Dimir House Guard: tutor for Grave Pact or sacrifice outlet.
Eldrazi Monument: awesome.

Hope that helps ;)

Shabbaman
07-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Your deck is high on threats, but low on answers. I wouldn't feel safe without a card like Krosan Grip in my deck.

Some cards to consider:
-Shambling Shell is nice with Puppeteer Clique/Woodfall Primus, and both cards are solid on their own anway. Primus is awesome.
-Tooth and Nail is awesome any way you look at it, but if you run both Nath and Hypnotist I see no reason not to run it (unless you believe in that EDH douchebag crap)
-You have something against Sylvan Library and SDT?
-I run The Abyss and Call to the Grave as sacrifice outlets.
-Every deck with green in it should run Brooding Saurian. The card is crap, but it hoses blue mages.

TheArchitect
10-11-2010, 08:28 PM
I use a similar EDH deck and I play almost entirely multiplayer games with 4+ people so my deck is built with that mind. Heres the list as it stands at the moment, it is a work in progress. So far I made the deck out of stuff I already had, traded for, or bought for less than .25 cents each, and there is still some id like to add to it (most of which is stuff suggested in this thread):

Savra, Queen of the Golgari

Lands - 35
Golgari Rot Farm
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Verdant Catacombs
Bayou
Tainted Wood
High Market
Dryad Arbor
Khalni Garden
16 swamp
11 Forest

Mana Accel - 9
Golgari Signet
Coalition relic
Cultivate
Kodama's Reach
Harrow
Explosive Vegetation
Garruk Wildspeaker
Nature's Will
Seedguide Ash

Card Draw - 4
Skullclamp
Fecundity
syphon mind
Momentous fall

Tutors - 5
Diabolic Intent
Diabolic Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Buried Alive
Beseech the Queen

Token Generation - 13
Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder
Carrion
Marsh Flitter
Skeletal Vampire
Mycoloth
Nath of the gilt-leaf
ant queen
mitotic slime
symbiotic wurm
Necrogenesis
Night soil
Golgari Germination - cutting next
snake basket

Recursion - 13
Gleancrawler
reassembling skeleton
Krovikan Horror
Nether Traitor
Rise from the Grave - cutting next
Stitch Together
Victimize
Makeshift Mannequin
Animate Dead
Dance of the dead
Death/Life
Vigor Mortis
Dread return

Unconditional Sac Outlets - 4
Fallen Angel
Nantuko Husk
Dimir House Gaurd
Bloodthrone Vampire

Control with Sac outlets - 8
Barter in Blood
Death Cloud
Fleshbag Marauder
Mind Slash
Attrition
Braids, Cabal Minion
Helm of Possession
Sadistic Hypnotist

Utility - 2
Krosan grip
Lightning Greaves

Multiplayer Bombs - 7
Xathrid Demon
It that Betrays
Lord of extinction
Blood Tithe
Exsanguinate
Bloodchief Ascension

Things I plan on adding in the near future:
Black Market
Smokestack - DUH! I don't know how this never occurred to me.
Ashnod's alter
Phyrexian Arena
Phyrexian Tower
Creakwood Liege
Necropotence
Various nonbasic G/B land I find for trades

Things I found work very well in the Deck:

- Opponents never get a chance to attack you for significant damage after about turn 4 or 5.

- Recovers quickly from board wipes, with all the reanimation spells.

- Has an plenty of ways to deal with shrouded generals.

- If your opponents play some sort of mind control variant you usually have a way to just sac your creature so they don't get it.

- It ramps up very fast and Skullclamp and Fecundity provide ridiculous card advantage.

- Sadistic Hypnotist + Nath of the gilt-leaf "combo" is amazing, every time everyone then teams up on you but has no threats to hurt you with.

- Late game Xathrid Demon + Lord of extinction when graveyards are full and people are running out of removal is usually a win.

- Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder in most situations is the MVP, best target for reanimation, burying alive, tutoring, etc. If you play him with a Skullclamp or Fecundity the game usually ends pretty quick.

Weaknesses:
- Fortunately, I've haven't played against many good ones, but other decks with lots of token generation might be a problem.

- Needs more cards that provide card draw. The few I have are awesome, but still few and usually need to be tutored for.

- I get wrecked by graveyard hate.

Any other suggestions are welcome, I'm looking for more stuff to cut from the deck. Hopefully my input helps anyone else trying to make similar decks as well. Also, I apologize for the many grammatical errors I'm sure I overlooked. English is my first language, I have no excuse; I am terrible at finding my own mistakes.

Tog
10-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Great deck! Savra is definitely my favorite general and it happens to be in my favorite color combination as well! Some thoughts on the deck:

(1) Have you considered Miren, the Moaning Well? Although it is a tad expensive to activate, High Market and Phyrexian Tower are both good lands in the deck for the sacrifice effect.

(2) You might want to consider Perilous Forays from Ravnica. It's an uncommon that's never seen the light of day but perform admirably in this sort of deck. A creature going to die? Get a land. It's also a sacrifice outlet. Plus there's a powerful mini-combo with Bloodghast and Perilous Forays as well!

(3) Have you considered Tooth and Nail? Casting it and getting Primeval Titan (fetching Dark Depths + another land) + Vampire Hexmage seems pretty saucy.

Good luck!