PDA

View Full Version : Aggro Bant at Face @ Face

Raptor
07-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Hello Sourcers,
With the recent banning of Mystical "the mighty" tutor, my friend Francis and I decided to build a new deck that would be decent/good in our new metagame.
We thought what there would be plenty of goblins, merfolk, zoo and control. So we built a list that would be fair agaisnt most of these match up.

Here's the list
Aggro bant -
3 Misty Rainforest
4 Flooded Strand
4 Tropical Island
3 Tundra
2 Horizon Canopy
1 Wasteland
1 Forest
1 Island
1 Plains

4 Noble Hierarch
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Rhox War Monk
4 Knight of the Reliquary
2 Qasali Pridemage

2 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Ponder
4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
3 Daze
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Jace, The Mind Sculptor

Sideboard :
3 Path to Exile
3 Kitchen Finks
3 Spell Pierce
2 Elspeth, the Knight-Errant
1 Garruk, the Wildspeaker
2 Krosan Grip
1 Bokuja Bog

Let's start by the beginning of the day, I wake up early with not a lot of sleep. But, what a beautiful day in Montreal ! Really sunny ! So I start by eating my eggs but I didn't have any bacon left, poor me.

Went to the good ol' store, Face a face, and the tournament started. Metagame was what my friends and I expected(p.s. yes, I do have some friends... impressive, isn't it ?). There were some rogue decks, or sneaky shall I say. (2-3 decks with Emrakul / "sneaky" attack") We're about 28 in the tournament.

First round :
ZOO ! piloted by a friendly and nice guy.

Game 1 : I do turn 1 Hierach, followed by a 4/4 Knight of the Reliquary. I start the beatdown and goyf joins the team while I keep his biggest creatures away. I cantrip a bit. He tries to kill my untapped knight (4/4) with a lavamancer and a lightning bolt, and then he realises the true power of horizon canopy and fetches. He then attacks with a kird ape that I defend with knight and do some shenanigans to kill it with my knight.

Game 2 : He mulls and is flooded. Turn 4 board looks like : he has no creature, and I have two kitchen finks and I have path, path, tarmo, tarmo in my hand.

Round 2 :
Agaisnt Merfolk (16 lords without Standstill) piloted by Lucas, a really nice guy that I met when I started doing some tournaments.
Game 1 : He chained 3 Silvergil Adept, that I decided to not force. I have hierarch + Goyd. He tries to play Kira, which I force. I then played Jitte, which passed and said go. He tries another kira, and my two cards in hand are : Blue card + Force of will...

Game 2 : I keep a decent hand. And do turn 1 Hierarch. I try to find some beats with my brainstorm and ponder, and can't manage to find any. I keep playing and find some beat while I keep the board clean of big merfolk. I found some Monks, and goyfs and they did their job just fine.

Round 3 :
Agaisnt Merfolk (16 lords with standstill)
Game 1 : I mull to 6. He tries a Vial, which I force and he's manascrewed and goyf took it home.
Game 2 : We attack both each others, and managed to get a hierarch, goyf and jitte while he as Lord of Atlantis, Vendillion Clique and multavault. He hibernates me, I felt asleep and won that one.
game 3 : I get my some beasts in play, tarmogoyf. He has Merrow Rejeerey, cursecatcher, cursecatcher, he tries another rejeerey, which I forced and attacked me. I managed to get Rhox war monk in play and then Knight of the reliquary to stabilize at 7 life and get this rounds.

Round 4 : ID - Aka Sushi Time

Round 5 : ID

Top 8 :
Against Pierre-Marc, with UWG survival.
Game 1 : On third turn, he has Land, land, bird, and a qasali I think. I cantripped a bit in the mean time and he tries to play a survival. I manage to find a daze to double daze it. Because he skipped a landrop, I decided to sword his bird. He then plays goyf, which I sworded and by that time I had 2 goyfs in play and he didn't find lands in 3-4 turns.

Game 2 : Again, I played hierarch turn 1, and he had no bird or Hierarch in play, so I decide to waste one of his land (which was the good choice because he got stucked on two lands for a while... and during that time I did some unfair things such as having Garruk, Elspeth and Jace in play at the same time...

Top 4 : We all decided to split, which I aggre with quickly because I'm tired and want to go to sleep.

The deck seems really solid, and it will probally be my pet deck for a while. I tested versus control, and it wasn't really a bad match up because there are a lot of must counter while playing agaisnt the deck post-side. With the sideboard, it is also really good versus almost any kind of aggro. If someone ever tests it, let me know what you think of it.

Thanks for reading my report.

jimirynk
07-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Do you ever want natural order?
I mean staying above 10 then playing a natural order is usually gg.
Like -2 jace -2 jittie
+3 Natural order +1 progentitus
And you can fine dryad arbor easy with 4 knight.

Just a though I'm going to test this tomorrow.

Raptor
07-19-2010, 06:10 AM
Do you ever want natural order?
I mean staying above 10 then playing a natural order is usually gg.
Like -2 jace -2 jittie
+3 Natural order +1 progentitus
And you can fine dryad arbor easy with 4 knight.

Just a though I'm going to test this tomorrow.

In my honest opinion, I find progenitus too slow for the format right now.

It's good in the mirror or slower decks, but so are jace. Jitte also made me won so many games against any sort of deck, it's not even funny. It's pretty rare that I wish that what I have in had is a natural order instead of Jace / Jitte.

Anyway, I think the sideboard is decent/good agaisnt deck where you want NO.
Just my two cents.

The Treefolk Master
07-19-2010, 10:28 PM
What's the reasoning behind the Garruk in the sideboard? In what MU do you bring him in?

BackDr0p
07-20-2010, 12:03 AM
The additional plainswalkers in the board were basically there to shore up the control matchups.

Raptor
07-20-2010, 07:31 AM
What's the reasoning behind the Garruk in the sideboard? In what MU do you bring him in?

Versus Landstill ish decks / thopter decks, CB Top, Bant mirror.

Versus Bant, you can bring them and the 3 paths to play the more "control" role and to put the matches post side in your favor.

Versus landstillish decks, it really help post board for a match up that is supposed to be bad (usually, +2 grip, +3Spell pierce, +3 Planeswalker versus them)

Versus Cb Top, they are almost always better than anything else because they can easily pass threw counterbalance.

OurSerratedDust
07-21-2010, 12:29 PM
What deck changes might you make after playing with the deck? Also, have you considered running Stoneforge mystic? Nice deck, I like the concept.

Raptor
07-21-2010, 07:02 PM
What deck changes might you make after playing with the deck? Also, have you considered running Stoneforge mystic? Nice deck, I like the concept.

I've considered and even tried running stoneforge mystic. In testings, they used to be in the place of the ponders.
They were nice, but often versus aggro, they were just too slow and versus other match up, did nothing. By too slow, I mean that I almost always had something better to cast first, tarmogoyf to stall or something like that. It takes a lot of time to get it equipped. If you don't have noble hierarch in play, istoneforce is often not that good.

With ponders, you often find what you are looking for and helps A LOT fixing manabase or manaflooded.

aTn
07-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Vincent, can you talk about the Merfolk and Goblin MUs.

Does this deck really have a good MU vs Merfolk (as opposed to other Bant aggro control decks)?