1 Pulverize
1 Deathmark
----------------
1 Wipe Away
1 Pithing Needle
1 Bayou
1 Tropical Island
4 Xantid Swarm

There were 25 people which meant 5 rounds and cut to t8.

Match 1: Chris? (think it was this—def started with a “C”; the guy seemed really nice and complimented me on my Asian cards) with U/B Depths Aggro-Control

Game 1
I put him on mono black because all he plays are 2 swamps, Uborg, Duresses, Sinkhole, and a Bob. The turn after he plays Bob I decide I have to do something before he draws into more hand/land disruption. I don’t quite have the kill so I Empty for 16 tokens (he’s at 17). I could have cast Tendrils for 16 and hoped he died to Bob (at 1 life), but I wasn’t sure if he ran something to kill his own Bob, like Edict or Therapy. All he does is play a Hexmage on his turn and ends up dying to the tokens. I win at 17 life.

Game 2
I Duress him and find out he’s playing Blue. I take his FOW. He has two Hexmages in hand but no Depths. I figure he probably plays more Wastelands than Depths, and I’m afraid of his land destruction slowing me down, so I cast Pithing Needle on Wasteland (probably a mistake, since Waste just slows me whereas Hexmage on Depths can kill me outright). He topdecks a Depths and plays Hexmage+Depths. I draw and have no answer, nor can I kill him. I scoop.

Game 3
He blows up a couple of my lands even though I Duress a Sinkhole. Then he starts beating me down with Mage and Bob. He flips a Stifle with Bob the turn before I can go for the kill. I have the 1 extra mana to play around Stifle, so I build Meditate-Duress-Ritual-LED-Tendrils. Unfortunately, he’s smart and Stifles my STD draw effect. I am holding a Brainstorm but only have 1 mana extra, so I die.

Thus continues my longstanding tradition of losing the 1st match.

0-1

Match 2: Jonathan with Belcher

Game 1
He wins the die roll. Mulls to 6. Plays ESG, Tinder Wall, SSG, Desperate Ritual, Belcher, LED, and activates. He then immediately flips over his whole deck, as he runs 0 Land. GG.

Game 2
He mulls to 5 and has no business. I Duress him 2x and take Chrome and Petal. Eventually he plays an SSG to try to beat me down, while I set up an easy kill.

Game 3
On his T1 he simply passes. My T1 I play Needle on Belcher. On his turn 3 he casts Empty for 16 tokens. I am at 18, so I have a comfortable 2 turns, but on my T3 I cantrip into a Ritual for the mana I need to kill him right away.

1-1

Match 3: Khan with Zoo

Game 1
I play first. He mulls to 5. On his T1 he plays Taiga+Wild Nacatyl. I have Dday and plenty of accel but nothing to draw into the pile, so I go for the sensei-Igg pass the turn pile, dropping to 9 life (since he mulled to 5, I figure it’s unlikely he has double bolt/chain or bolt/chain+fireblast—although 1 bolt could screw me if he leaves mana open). He fetches a Savannah and I breath a sigh of relief as he attacks me to 6. I kill him on my turn.

Game 2
His T1 he plays Loam Lion. My T1 I Thoughtseize him and snag Pyrostatic Pillar. On T2 he plays Goyf. T3 he bashes for 6 and plays Pridemage with 1 mana open. My T3 I go off with Dday, playing around Pridemage. I play LED after Dday resolves, then cast Brainstorm and sac LED in response before passing priority. Meditate stack kills him.

2-1

Match 4: Eugene with Vengevine Survival

Game 1
I sculpt a protected kill with some cantrips. When I try to go off however, he misdirects my Thoughtseize, pitching FOW. I am holding Rit, LED, Doomsday, fetch. I take out Dday cuz I’d just topped and had another Dday or Bwish on top. Then on his turn he plays Survival, so after that I have to go for it or he can combo me next turn. He is holding 2 cards so I only lose if he has a second FOW+blue card. He has Daze but I have 1 extra mana and win with a Meditate stack. He def. would have killed me on his turn with Vengevines.

Game 2
He plays a T1 Hierarch. He plays a turn 2 Wild Mongrel, then pitches Vengevine and Rootwalla to bring both into play and start beating me down. I have to go for it when I’m low life, but I’m 1 mana short of going off with Bwish-->Dday. I am forced to cast Empty for 10 tokens. I trade 4 tokens with his exalted Vengevine and am forced to start chumping his dudes as he attacks with exalted Mongrel/Rootwalla. He plays a Canonist so I keep topping every turn looking for Burning Wish to grab Deathmark. Unfortunately, I never find one and die to weenie beats.

Game 3
I resolve T1 Dday. I’m holding 2x Led so I could easily go for a pass the turn pile, but I’m afraid of possible countermagic or Stifle, so I get Shelldock-Petal-Ritual-Tendrils- Emrakul. He fetches a Trop to Ponder and passes. I play Shelldock. He plays Wild Mongrel. I untap and activate Shelldock for Emrakul and he’s like O.o. He wants to verify with the judge that this counts as casting it (my Isle is Chinese). So I dig an English one out of my binder and the judge confirms that it does. I take my extra turn and he scoops when I attack.

3-1

Match 5: René with Aggro-Loam

Out of the 5 or so people with 9 points, I get paired down against an 8-pointer so I can’t draw in. Thus continues my tradition of going 3-1 and being unable to draw in the last round.

Game 1
He mulls to 6 and has little disruption or pressure so I combo him out pretty easily. However, I screw up horribly, because I forget about having Emrakul in hand. I Bwish for Dday with BBB floating and don’t bother to crack my LED right away since I don’t have to. Then after I resolve Dday for a Meditate stack, and go to crack LED, I realize that Emrakul (my only card left in hand) will fuck up my pile by reshuffling. So I crack LED for Blue, draw with top in response to Emrakul trigger, cast Meditate in response to trigger, draw LED, LED, Petal, Top. GY shuffles. Thankfully I have 1 extra mana so I can cast+spin Top and use both LEDs to cash Wish for Tendrils... if Wish is in the top 3 of my 4 card library. I shuffle up and pass it to my opponent and pray. I look with top and find the Bwish ftw.

Game 2
He mulls again and plays land+go. I T1 Thoughtseize his Chalice, but he topdecks another one and casts it at 1. I fetch Volc and Bwish for Pulverize, but don’t draw another fetch for the Badlands, and can’t dig for one since his Chalice cuts off all my cantrips. He draws a Waste for my Volc and topdecks and plays a Chalice at 0 a couple turns later, and I eventually die to Terravore beats.

Game 3
I cast T1 Thoughtseize and see Land, Land, Diamond, Terravore, Loam, Loam. I take the Terravore figuring that without it he has no clock, although perhaps I should have taken the Diamond to slow him down (and in view of possible topdecks). He plays land, Diamond, Loam. I set up rather easily after this as he has no pressure and no disruption. I combo on turn 3 or 4.

4-1: with 12 points I’m in first place after swiss.

Top 8: Arend with U/W Aggro-Control

Game 1
I Thoughtseize him and see a hand of creatures, including Sea Drake, Serra Avenger, and Fathom Seer. I take the Fathom seer. Then I play out some lands along with Top and Brainstorm. When I’ve sculpted the win in a few turns, I Duress him and he Brainstorms. The only instants in his hand are 2x Spell Snare, so I take 1 and play around the other with a Meditate+Tendrils stack, since I have plenty of mana and storm with (double?) Rit and LED. Because of the cards I’d played so far (Thoughtseize, Top, U/B lands, and Brainstorm), he didn’t realize I was playing combo until the turn I went off.

Game 2
I resolve T2 Doomsday and he morphs Fathom Seer in response (played off 2x land and Diamond). From his reaction as he draws and lets the Dday resolve, I read him as having no counter, so instead of Emrakul I go for a Meditate storm pile to win instantly. My read is correct.

Top 4: Ryan with BUGstill

Game 1
I Duress him 2x, seeing no counters and taking 2x Standstills. I have nothing to draw into my pile, however, so after my 2nd Duress, rather than waiting longer and giving him a chance to draw into multiple counters, I decide to risk a pass the turn pile and hope he doesn’t topdeck one (nothing relevant in his GY). Then on his turn he draws and plays a Brainstorm, which is scary but there’s nothing I can do about it since I’m already committed. On my turn I Brainstorm into Ritual Ritual LED Igg, & play them out. IGG resolves and he returns Brainstorm. I replay Ritual, LED, and Brainstorm. Since he’s double fetched, I decide to cast Tendrils for 18 instead of Bwish (both were in my library) in order to play around Spell Snare. He Brainstorms in response, finds no counter, and scoops. I lucked out on this one.

Game 2
This game was very odd. I Duress his Fow early on (although in hindsight perhaps I should have taken Extirpate), but after that he counters 2 more Duresses. He counters 1 Top and Grips another. Eventually I resolve a Bwish and grab Empty. The next turn I try for Empty but he counters my Cabal Ritual. A few turns later I am able to Empty for 4 copies, but he counters one. His only manland is a Mishra’s Factory, so I am able to kill the 2x Jace he plays by swinging with tokens, and I eventually resolve a Xantid Swarm; however, he’s Extirpated my Brainstorms and Burning Wishes, and Wasted all my Duals with Loam and Cow recursion. I don’t draw anything I can use so all I can do is keep swinging with my 3x tokens left alive while he races with his 1 Factory. He doesn’t Dredge into another manland or find anything else, so I chump his Factory with my Xantid and kill him with Goblin beats at 1 life. I honestly can’t believe I won this game. It dragged on forever and seemed so hopeless at points that I almost considered scooping.

T2 Split--1st prize is Unl Ruby valued at 325, 2nd is 2x Illusionary Mask. I’m fully powered and he needs the Ruby, so he takes it and gives me 160, while we each take 1 Mask.

The deck played really well all day. I loved having 7 Duress effects and might even want to try to make room for the 4th Thoughtseize.

Notes:
-I cast ETW 3 times and it won me the game twice.
-I didn’t cast LDV even once (don’t recall drawing it).
-Only killed with Shelldock/Emrakul once.
-Drew and cast my 1-of sideboarded Pithing Needle 2 times.

Props to all my opponents and the friends I drove down with.

Aleksandr
07-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Gratz!

Nice read. I like the deck... What would you change after the tournament?

god_campbell
07-26-2010, 07:00 PM
what no mention of the awesomeness that that was the hooters victory supper?

Piceli89
07-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Gratz on the finish.
Would you still play Emrakul maindeck, after it screwed your plans when you discarded it, and considering you merely use it once?

Gandalf_The_White
07-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Gratz!
Nice read. I like the deck... What would you change after the tournament?
Well, as I said I'd consider trying to find room for the 4th Thoughtseize, but the list is pretty tight. I'm not sure what I could cut, except maybe 1x Ponder.

what no mention of the awesomeness that that was the hooters victory supper?
Haha, perhaps I should have added pre- and post tourney sections to recount our various shenanigans. I just didn't think my description would be able to do the events justice :tongue:

Gratz on the finish.
Would you still play Emrakul maindeck, after it screwed your plans when you discarded it, and considering you merely use it once?
I would keep Emrakul for a few reasons:
1) Discarding Emrakul actually shouldn't be a problem if you crack LED at the right time. If you're holding Emrakul, just remember to crack LED any time BEFORE resolving Dday and you'll reshuffle it without messing up your pile. I failed to do this because I forgot it was in my hand =/.
2) He's really good against Counterbalance. There's in fact a significant amount of Counterbalance in my meta; I just wasn't paired against it this tourney.
3) He lets you Dday with very minimal resources, in situations in which you otherwise wouldn't be able to go for it.

That said, it's quite possible to put the Emrakul package in the side for the matchups you want it in--I'd just rather save the 2 slots in my side and have it maindeck in case I want it g1.

Aleksandr
07-27-2010, 10:47 AM
I would keep Emrakul for a few reasons:

2) He's really good against Counterbalance. There's in fact a significant amount of Counterbalance in my meta; I just wasn't paired against it this tourney.
3) He lets you Dday with very minimal resources, in situations in which you otherwise wouldn't be able to go for it.

That said, it's quite possible to put the Emrakul package in the side for the matchups you want it in--I'd just rather save the 2 slots in my side and have it maindeck in case I want it g1.

Very true points. I pretty often go for Emrakul when I am lazy to calculate the DD / IGG kills. :smile: :cool:

JeroenC
07-27-2010, 10:57 AM
I pretty often go for Emrakul when I am lazy to calculate the DD / IGG kills. :smile: :cool:

Seconded. Either way, congratulations.

loop
07-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Congratulations. A question about your list: how did you like the 2 ponders? Had you considered more business instead (such as LDV #3), and if so how do you feel about it?
I've also been liking 7 discard maindeck a lot, I'm rarely unhappy to draw into one.

Jander78
07-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Great Job on the finish and congrats on the Mox. Do you think a single Show and Tell as a Wish target in the Sideboard would have been beneficial?

alderon666
07-30-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm running the ALMOST exact same 60. But I would suggest swapping a MD Island for the Tropical or the Bayou on the side and adding a Reverent Silence in the SB. It's decent against CB and AWESOME against Enchantress.

Also, I like Carpet of Flower better in the tempo matchups.

Meditate is out, the hottest thing right now is Ideas Unbound. Makes insane plays like:

- Hand: Dark Ritual, Doosmday, Brainstorm
- In play: SDT, Land, Land

With just those resources you can make a Tendrils for 20. I was sold instantly.

Dark Ritual -> Doomsday -> BS drawing LED -> LED -> Crack LED for UUU and tap SDT drawing IU -> IU drawing SDT, LED, LED -> LED, LED, SDT -> Crack LEDs for BBBRRR -> Tap SDT to draw BW -> BW for Tendrils -> Tendrils for 20

Aleksandr
07-31-2010, 02:58 AM
Akldernon, I also thought of the Ideas Unbound, but I don't like the UU casting cost, not to mention that the instanteousness of Meditate is powerful from time to time.
Otoh - both of these spell we play mainly from the LED mana, so the UU is not that hard...
:really:

Piceli89
07-31-2010, 07:42 AM
Although Ideas Unbound allows to build Doomsday stacks with lesser resources, Meditate is an oftenly undervalued bomb that will give you 4 cards at the mere expense of a turn, which against control means a 90% guaranteed victory, and against aggro-control can be as important if you're not put in a clock situation. It's also amazing against Discard decks to recover after our hand has been stripped, and it's pretty good to be used as an emergency button in some cases with hands exceeding of mana (double ritual and/or double LED), and also to be cast off the top using Sdt+LED after our hand has been neutered by counters, to dig for 4 cards and attempt going off somehow.

Ideas Unbound is also pretty color intensive, and I can figure out how much difficult it can be to play it from lands only recalling how many games I've lost due to Wipe Away having UU in its casting cost. I usually don't want to waste a Petal on it in the pre-combo turns, too.
Also, it makes Doomsday piles fold to Spell Snare, which is a common tool counter-heavy tempo decs (Merfolk, Faes) hold after having countered Chant in the assumption that we go off with Infernal+LED.

Gandalf_The_White
08-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Congratulations. A question about your list: how did you like the 2 ponders? Had you considered more business instead (such as LDV #3), and if so how do you feel about it?

The Ponders were really good. If I don't open with a Top, I like being able to Ponder turn 1 to start setting up, where turn 1 Brainstorm is a waste. They also help when you're digging with top by shuffling+cantriping, and allow you to draw into Dday piles (very important considering how many times I had problems doing so). Plus they are good for making sure you hit land drops and for drawing into Ritual/Led you need to go off that turn.

The 3rd LDV is certainly a possible alternative for one of those slots, but it doesn't really serve the same purpose of smoothing out your draws, drawing into piles, etc.

Great Job on the finish and congrats on the Mox. Do you think a single Show and Tell as a Wish target in the Sideboard would have been beneficial?
Not really. There was never a time when I found myself holding Bwish and Emrakul and wanted to spend 3UR (none of which can come from LED) to drop it. This doesn't even seem like a very good play to me, so I doubt SnT is worth the slot, especially since you're only running 1 Emrakul.

I'm running the ALMOST exact same 60. But I would suggest swapping a MD Island for the Tropical or the Bayou on the side and adding a Reverent Silence in the SB. It's decent against CB and AWESOME against Enchantress.

Also, I like Carpet of Flower better in the tempo matchups.

Meditate is out, the hottest thing right now is Ideas Unbound. Makes insane plays like:

- Hand: Dark Ritual, Doosmday, Brainstorm
- In play: SDT, Land, Land

With just those resources you can make a Tendrils for 20. I was sold instantly.

Dark Ritual -> Doomsday -> BS drawing LED -> LED -> Crack LED for UUU and tap SDT drawing IU -> IU drawing SDT, LED, LED -> LED, LED, SDT -> Crack LEDs for BBBRRR -> Tap SDT to draw BW -> BW for Tendrils -> Tendrils for 20
I don't like running the green lands maindeck because I prefer to keep the sbed Xantid swarms a surprise, since otherwise they aren't nearly as good.

I'd like to run Carpet but I simply don't have the slots. I prefer Xantid against control because it lets me use IGG, so I can go off with pass the turn piles.

That said, I may consider changing it up since I doubt the Swarms will remain a surprise at the next local tourney ;).

Ideas Unbound seems really good, but I'd rather keep Meditate because there were A LOT of Spell Snares floating around the tourney. Also, given the popularity of control around here, the ability to cast EOT Meditate if you draw it can be quite useful. So, although IU is probably better for goldfishing against aggro, Meditate seems better against the blue decks, which are your hardest matchups.