PDA

View Full Version : Storming to Top 8: GP Columbus

Bryant Cook
08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
http://theepicstorm.com/grand-prix-columbus-oh-07-30-2010-5th-place

The Pharmacist
08-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Nice job Bryant!! The next time I'm in Ohio for a GP I won't drink the night before so I can play in it.

Hanni
08-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Nice job beating out several difficult matchups, including all of the decks with blue in them (Merfolk, Thopter, Landstill, New Horizons, etc).

sauce
08-02-2010, 06:18 PM
congrats, ... ari lax was a cocky mf - but he is good.

MMogg
08-02-2010, 06:21 PM
I decided drinking the day before the GP was a bad idea, so I filled out my deck reg. and went to bed.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_GRtJVRFb3yreM:http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh72/Shunt666/son_i_am_disappoint.gif&t=1

... he keeps saying just show me the Tendrils, I refuse because well he has a condescending tone in his voice the entire round and was a bit cocky. I Burning Wished for Grapeshot, he responds with, “Real cute, real cute.”
He lost the confidence he had the first two games during game three, he was much more of a real person.

Best part of the report. That's the true power of the Grapeshot.

Great work! I must say you're the poster child for dedication to a deck. I can only admire that kind of passion and resolve because I'll never have it. Well done, sir!

Shriekmaw
08-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Nice Job Bryant, way to go. Congrads to everyone else that made Day 2. Go C'use.

OneBigSquirrelGod
08-02-2010, 06:33 PM
yawg07 always speaks highly of you, and I thought to myself, "I wonder If Im gonna come across the best combo ever). Well I guess I sat next to you in round 8, and didnt even know it! Good Job Bryant. Congrats

Mark Sun
08-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Congratulations on your finish, Bryant.

I was the asian guy watching your ridiculous game against Sneak Attack in R12; I was behind him so when he Brainstorm'ed at the end and found nothing, I knew the match was yours. It was a pleasure to meet you.

Neuad
08-02-2010, 06:50 PM
congrats, ... ari lax was a cocky mf - but he is good.

I play with Ari locally.

He is a complete and total douchebag and he isn't very good at the game. He has better players make him decks that win.

And even if you decide to argue that point, it doesn't change the fact that everyone here hates him (and the entire RIW crew for that matter. . .Brian Demars (sp?), Patrick Chappin, etc.)

Mister Agent
08-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Congrats Bryant and great report!

badjuju
08-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Grats dude.

I think I almost fell out of my chair when I was looking at the top 8 list.

TeKo
08-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Any one read the coverage?
OMG.

Cook led with Scalding Tarn for Underground Sea into Ponder. Durward sacrificed Wasteland to destroy the Underground Sea. Durward played a turn-two Gemstone Mine and his second Ponder. Durward followed with Noble Hierarch on his second turn. Turn-three for Cook consisted of Brainstorm, bringing the Gemstone Cavern down to one counter

Stopped reading there...

Bryant Cook
08-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Any one read the coverage?
OMG.

Stopped reading there...

I noticed that too. However, I can't fix that.

kicks_422
08-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Were there any situations when you wished Chant/Silence was Xantid Swarm?

Bryant Cook
08-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Were there any situations when you wished Chant/Silence was Xantid Swarm?

Chant was insane for me both days.

MMogg
08-02-2010, 08:04 PM

Did you ever pay the kicker, or more to the point, need to? I've built the deck on MTGO and Silence seems to do the trick (it's – financially speaking – much cheaper than Chant, of course) and with the new white Leyline being increasingly boarded, I wonder if Silence isn't a better choice.

Bryant Cook
08-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Did you ever pay the kicker, or more to the point, need to? I've built the deck on MTGO and Silence seems to do the trick (it's – financially speaking – much cheaper than Chant, of course) and with the new white Leyline being increasingly boarded, I wonder if Silence isn't a better choice.

Did you even read my report?

Brushwagg
08-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Awesome job dude!!!

Forbiddian
08-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Pimp report, and great job on the finish!

JonBarber
08-02-2010, 08:53 PM

lol.

Even after that long rant to me about a perfect game you ate. I wondered what was going on in the top 8...

kicks_422
08-02-2010, 09:04 PM

As I thought. I guess Swarm's better days are very much over.

I know you've cut IGG from the MD long ago. From then until the GP, did you ever miss it in the main? Or was Inf.Tutoring for Ad Nauseam much better even with a low life total? I don't understand the IGG in the SB, though I see you've used it once in the GP. Wouldn't you most of the time have no Tutors in the GY if you'll be Wish'ing for it, since Wish gets RFG'd?

Bryant Cook
08-02-2010, 09:12 PM
As I thought. I guess Swarm's better days are very much over.

I know you've cut IGG from the MD long ago. From then until the GP, did you ever miss it in the main? Or was Inf.Tutoring for Ad Nauseam much better even with a low life total? I don't understand the IGG in the SB, though I see you've used it once in the GP. Wouldn't you most of the time have no Tutors in the GY if you'll be Wish'ing for it, since Wish gets RFG'd?

I don't want to go down to two storm Engines (Ad Nauseam and Returns) it's far too dangerous, there were a few situations I had LED's in hand with Wish and Ad Nauseam, if I could've gotten one more mana I couldve Wished for Ill-Gotten Gains to get back Ad Nauseam and cast it.

Ill-Gotten Gains is also very good against discard which I didn't play against.

Amon Amarth
08-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Good job rolling out like a boss. Good report. Shoulda suffered through it and had your hunger keep you sharp for the T8. :P

JonBarber
08-02-2010, 09:36 PM
You should start slapping yourself in the face between games like Saito

EddieO
08-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Man, haven't you watched Bull Durham? Don't EVER mess with a winning streak!

Good to see you do well....top 8 out of 1300 people is nuts....

Later EddieO

dahcmai
08-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Damned good job.

TheMightyQuinn
08-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Congrats Bryant. I especially enjoyed when you killed the gobos player with a horde of goblins.

And you seem to have a love affair with buffalo chicken :)

Rune
08-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Congrats

Surprising that you never killed with IGG, but used Returns so many times.

goobafish
08-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Congrats Bryant!

Whit3 Ghost
08-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Congrats dude! You deserve it for sure.

4eak
08-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Absolutely awesome, congratz!

peace,
4eak

CalebD
Congrats man. You were an awesome opponent.

TeenieBopper
Damon tells me I don't look that hot, I explain it's because I haven't eaten today. I decide it's probably time to get something to eat. Someone asks why I hadn't eaten yet that day and I explained what a perfect game in baseball is.

Best. Line. Ever.

I tell Colin, “They’re going to need this room to contain my ego for after I win”.

Second best. Line. Ever.

jrsthethird
08-02-2010, 11:05 PM

You don't even need to read the whole thing, Ctrl+F is your friend.

Congrats dude! You can spend your money to buy your missing Jap foils.

death
08-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Great job Bryant! Sourcers were clamoring for a BC feature match on ggs. You had a cheering squad behind you all the time don't cha know :P

EDIT:

YOU DESERVE THOSE 4 DAMN GREEN BARS! IT'S ABOUT TIME BRO! FOR REAL.

Patrick
08-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Very well done Bryant. Us Ann Arbor crew was happy a Sourcer made it.

NQN
08-03-2010, 03:34 AM
gz! great result! Did you punt somewhere?
I had the same problem like you against the Belcher guy...Opp is MonoW and has NOTHING but lets me do the Combo for like 10 minutes when I just wanna scoop it up and run to the toilet..:D Imagine you playing CounterThopters in that situation ^^
Anyways, one last question: How was the Eye for you?

J.V.
08-03-2010, 04:07 AM
Congrats Bryant great show as usual! I was rooting for you. I'm kinda sad I could make it up to the GP this time around, I had TES sleeved up and everything... oh well.

Dia_Bot
08-03-2010, 04:54 AM
Gj bryant! I've got a question though, isn't E.truth a good card to bring in against Belcher? For when they are obliged to go for ETW.

gesùbeppe
08-03-2010, 04:59 AM
Great report and great result !!

Bryant Cook
08-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Gj bryant! I've got a question though, isn't E.truth a good card to bring in against Belcher? For when they are obliged to go for ETW.

If they blow their load on Tokens turn one, you're going to win.

Black and Blue
08-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Excellent report, Bryant, and congratulations!

Bryant Cook
08-03-2010, 09:35 AM
gz! great result! Did you punt somewhere?
I had the same problem like you against the Belcher guy...Opp is MonoW and has NOTHING but lets me do the Combo for like 10 minutes when I just wanna scoop it up and run to the toilet..:D Imagine you playing CounterThopters in that situation ^^
Anyways, one last question: How was the Eye for you?
I didn't see this before.

Yeah, I punted the top 8 obviously. I lost.

I didn't get to cast eye of nowhere. It was one of my goals going into the day too, I wanted to bounce someones land while going off... Everyone scoops nowadays.

jazzykat
08-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Excellent report, Bryant, and congratulations!

+1.

You've a great achievement.

carlitobunz
08-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Good job Bryant! Great weekend...

troopatroop
08-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Congratulations! Nice day 2! :P Seriously dude, you should be thrilled. Very impressive result.

Zach Tartell
08-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Good job
Robert Allen would be proud
Needs more Gearhart
I'm afraid that your report will dwarf mine from Comic Con

mujadaddy
08-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Good job
Robert Allen would be proud
Needs more Gearhart
I'm afraid that your report will dwarf mine from Comic Con

Ach, Tarmogoyf, run! It's the Tartell!

Kadishack
08-03-2010, 08:56 PM
You are my hero!!!

dahcmai
08-03-2010, 09:05 PM
I didn't get to cast eye of nowhere. It was one of my goals going into the day too, I wanted to bounce someones land while going off... Everyone scoops nowadays.

lol that would get some asshole points for sure. I would have laughed.

freakish777
08-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Bryant, congrats again.

Your tournament (and report) needed moar Grapeshot though.

Also, I'm sure dodging Hollywood was sick for your tournament.

Bryant Cook
08-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Bryant, congrats again.

Your tournament (and report) needed moar Grapeshot though.

I've been told every time I grapeshot someone out the Mets lose...

nitewolf9
08-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Once again Bryant, excellent work, congratulations.

Although, I would like to point out that I told you to win the whole thing. You should do that next time.

cwt1220
08-03-2010, 10:59 PM
I've been told every time I grapeshot someone out the Mets lose...

Then it sounds like you should do that more often. lol. But seriously, congratulations man! Great to see a friend do well in a tournament of that caliber. Too bad that my Vorosh deck cant handle Godo. lol

-Chris-

Bryant Cook
08-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Then it sounds like you should do that more often. lol. But seriously, congratulations man! Great to see a friend do well in a tournament of that caliber. Too bad that my Vorosh deck cant handle Godo. lol

-Chris-
Yeah, whatever, you braves fans are worse than cancer. It's tough to handle godo! You're the first person to mention my edh report.

Michael Keller
08-04-2010, 01:47 PM

There's a fair amount of truth in that.

Of course, I am really proud of this guy for getting the job (almost) done. That's something I can't say I've ever done. Then again, I've never been to a Grand Prix, so.

cwt1220
08-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Yeah, whatever, you braves fans are worse than cancer. It's tough to handle godo! You're the first person to mention my edh report.

Yeah, that was a pretty ridiculous game of edh. I have never had a 3 man game end in like 3 minutes.

-Chris-

bruno_tiete
08-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Impressive run, Mr Cook.

I know coverages are hardly trustworthy and faithful to what took place in a game, but it seems from the published text that a line of play could have gone unnoticed.

Cook started turn-five with Brainstorm and Rite of Flame. This was when Cook started noting his storm count. Dark ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond and Infernal Tutor raised the count to five. Cook responded to his Infernal Tutor by sacrificing Lion's Eye Diamond for black mana. The tutor searched up Ad Nauseam. Cook played Ad Nausem and revealed Silence, Chrome Mox , Infernal Tutor, Gemstone Mine, Dark Ritual, Duress, Infernal Tutor, Empty the Warrens, and Orim's Chant before stopping to think. After a short pause, Cook revealed one more card; Lotus Petal. Cook then played a land, Dark Ritual, Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox, and finally Empty the Warrens for eighteen Goblins. Facing down a Goblin horde, Durward took to the air by discarding Vengevine to Survival of the Fittest for Wonder then pitching Wonder for Basking Rootwalla. Cook played Orim's Chant with kicker during combat to preserve his precious two life points.

There is one extra storm in the coverage account. "Infernal Tutor raised the count to five." plus AN, DR, Petal, Mox and ETW.

In case they just screwed up on storm count, it seems you could still tendrils him out with IT for Dark Ritual for the missing copy.

Do you know what's wrong/missing in the coverage story?

Once again, great job.

Bryant Cook
08-04-2010, 02:44 PM
I don't know about the coverage. Over all it was pretty bad.

However, I remember I couldn't tendrils him out because I couldn't get hellbent.

Dark Ritual
08-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Congratz Bryant on top 8'ing you deserved it. Lulz on grapeshotting that one guy who said to show him the tendrils....it was hilarious.

I wish you bounced someone's land with eye of nowhere that would've been funny. Oh well.

Jander78
08-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Good job Bryant!

That nice guy
08-18-2010, 01:41 PM

I did!

So I know you run a 1/3 split. I was wondering why.

I was wondering if you will continue to do this or if you think one definitely outweighs the other considering the new leyline and the large amount of zoo/eldrazi running around. My other theory was that you just did happen to have a 4th Jap foil one.

Congrats!

Bryant Cook
08-18-2010, 03:22 PM
I did!

So I know you run a 1/3 split. I was wondering why.

I was wondering if you will continue to do this or if you think one definitely outweighs the other considering the new leyline and the large amount of zoo/eldrazi running around. My other theory was that you just did happen to have a 4th Jap foil one.

Congrats!

There's no reason not to. It doesn't hurt you to run it, and it can be benefiticial.

Ryant Cock
08-19-2010, 09:39 AM
I think you have no idea of this decktype and should better go for white weenie.
Your SB is pretty weak (3x Pyroblast WTF?).
Cook's a lucker deluxe. BTW: You should invest some dollar to be able to play a full playset of Orim's Chant instead of your budged solution.

Peter_Rotten
08-19-2010, 10:23 AM
I think you have no idea of this decktype and should better go for white weenie.
Your SB is pretty weak (3x Pyroblast WTF?).
Cook's a lucker deluxe. BTW: You should invest some dollar to be able to play a full playset of Orim's Chant instead of your budged solution.

Obvious Troll account is obvious. Banhammer incomming.