PDA

View Full Version : [Report] 6-2-1 w/ Tempo Bant

mossivo1986
08-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Hello all and welcome to my GP Columbus report/experience! The entire weekend was a blast and I really encourage others to share the insane amount of fun that this event really was!

Prelude

Leading up to this event I have had tremendous success in legacy over the past year and a half. I've won/split/top4'd a ton of tournaments and have played tons more legacy then in the past. My overall rating has jumped as well over the past year because of it. My goal was to make it to the pro tour in the next couple of years.

So Thursday night Mastershake comes down and picks me up so that Friday we can just head out. Master lives 45 minutes away from me so it was definitely quite the nice thing to do. We talk about theory for what seems like eternity and I fall asleep somewhere close to 3am.

Friday comes along and we are out the door and in a Walmart by noon and at the tournament by 4:30 comming from MI. Chris and Pattrick bring along some funky glasses and apparel and I am determined to out do them both next year. Chicken costume gogo. So once we go to the Concention Center I greet and watch Morbid; he opens a hand with this deck in a game 3 with double relic tormod's crypt and loses to dredge.... scrub! He quickly takes a break, I enter pod 5 in the grinder.

LISTING YOU
UGw Tempo

// Lands
2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
2 [ON] Flooded Strand
2 [ON] Windswept Heath
3 Tundra
3 [B] Tropical Island
1 [GUR] Forest
1 [GUR] Island
1 [GUR] Plains
4 [TE] Wasteland

// Creatures
4 [CFX] Noble Hierarch
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [ARB] Qasali Pridemage
2 [MOR] Vendilion Clique
2 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary
2 [ALA] Rhox War Monk

// Spells
4 [B] Swords to Plowshares
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [NE] Daze
3 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
4 [MM] Brainstorm
4 [M10] Ponder

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
SB: 2 [CFX] Path to Exile
SB: 4 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
SB: 2 [IA] Hydroblast
SB: 2 [B] Blue Elemental Blast
SB: 3 [M10] Pithing Needle

Grinder Report

Round 1 Counter Thopter: I win the toss
I can tell early on that his deck isn’t drawing very many lands, or removal spells. He ends up tutoring for Ensnaring bridge but it’s too late. I have enough to deal with bridge IE qasali and Rhox war Monk.

In 2 needle 2 EE
Out 4 STP

G2. He resolves an early counterbalance, I drop qasali in over it and a blind counterbalance trigger fails. He casts a second counterbalance but I pierce his counterbalance, he opts to pay for it and crack a fetch but I qasali his top, which turns him off. Goyf and Knight quickly clean up whats left over counterbalance.

1-0 matches
2-0 games

Round 2 UWb Landstill: I win the toss
I go trop noble, he leads tundra. I was his tundra, he wastes my trop. I am alittle shocked obviously. I cast goyf, he plays land,land and I cast vendillion clique into his third land drop draw step he casts counterspell, and I daze it, he reveals a hand of jace vindicate o ring wrath of god. I have a waste for him and he’s not going to have time to play the second removal spell before he dies if I land another threat, I let him keep his hand, and win the game in 2 turns via waste on his tundra.

In 3 needle
Out 3 STP

G2. He casts a top and counterbalance, I play qasali over it, blind flip obviously resolves. I see b/w Fetch. He literally is pummeled by a mixture of wastelands and a well times vendillion clique that takes Elspeth. He loses in 3 turns.

2-0 matches
4-0 games

[B]Round 3 Canadian Threshhold: I win the toss
G1. I take a 4 lander with ponder goyf knight.
I play tundra, waste… I play fetch and wait to crack, stifle…. I play ponder, daze…. He plays mongoose, I play goyf. I win.

In 4 relic
Out 4 force

G2. He takes a 7 hand with no land; he loses.

3-0 matches
6-0 games

Round 4 Tarmo-sly

Incredibly unfortunate events: just watched this guy beat bant survival. Bant survival is living the dream on 4 non basics and no cards in hand. Tarmo sly eot off of a rhox cast windmill slams price price fireblast win. Bants at 16 It was over when the second price hit. Everyone is stunned. Tarmosly is in myroflcopteritgoesswaswaswa mode. (majikal from the source was the bant survival player. I believe his name was Joel W.)

G1. He goes ape shit with figure and burn.

In 4 blast 2 ee 2 path
Out 4 force 3 pierce 1 daze

G2. I go fetch ponder, then goyf t2. He goes figure, lavamancer. I ee for 1. I play goyf number 2. He scoops to my 4/5 love machines.

G3. He plays fetch and cracks for taiga. I go noble into goyf and waste his taiga. He plays all mountains. I play all goyfs. He scoops several turns later and shows me he holds goyfs too, but doesn’t know when the correct timing for cracking a fetch, or playing a basic forest in his build I guess. He decides and I pick up on price and blood moon, and I question it. He shows me that price still huts you under blood moon.

FACT I LEARNED #1 If Blood moon is in play and someone casts price, all nonbasic lands are still nonbasic mountains.
So I’m glad I dodged that fun-capade.

4-0 matches
8-1 games

Round 5 FINALS

He wins the toss

G1. He plays entomb (This is important and ill discuss why) I let it resolve. I play trop. He plays reanimate. I force removing force. He reanimates again. I don’t traw stp for his terrastidon. Or however you spell it.
In 4 relic
Out 4 ponder

G2. I see a strong disruptive hand. He sees triple thoughtseize, 4 reanimation spells in 19 cards. I lose. This was close however because I had him at 3 and he names green with iona preying I don’t see stp. Of course his brainstorm had double force brainstorm on the lethal turn but it’s irrelivent. I’m alittle irritated, and he says that he may have seen that but he was stuck on 1 sea for a while. I want to say, did you know I play 4x wasteland 4x relic in my postboard play? He replaced mystical tutor with goyf in his build, and sided in 3x duress in.

matches 4-1
games 8-3

So I made up my money, but no additional byes. I’m left with my 1 by total ranking. This is going to be difficult on day 1.
So Morbid and I , and his company go get my bags from Mastershake and Pat, and then go to his place. Talk about theory, drink some beer, and I ask if we can wrap it up for the night at 1am.

Next morning I don’t shower, your welcome Grand Prix Columbus community :). Grab some MC Donalds and head to the Convention Center. The player meeting is short. A guy mentions that magic has improved his sex life. Every-time he’s close he thinks about his storm count. I laugh, and shake the sleep out of my eyes.

Round 1 begins and I grab something to eat. Chicken wrap and a coke. I watch a few games and before you know it im up for round 2.

Main Event

Round 1 Bye

matches 1-0
games 2-0
overall 10-3

Round 2 Death and Taxes (with 8.5 tails instead of mother of runes)
I win the toss

G1. I go noble, he goes plains vial, I go ugh….. DnT. He misses his third land drop because he’s too busy fighting my landbase. I laugh and kill him with vendillion clique, goyf, and some other fun stuff.

In 2 ee 2 path
Out 3 pierce 1 daze?

G2. He likes to play defense on 2 mana no vial with 8 ½ tales for a while while trying to disrupt my mana. I shoot for basics. I splurge tons of creatures on the board, he breaks through with double o ring, while ee sits in my hand. He stoneforge mystics, and I cast ee. I blow it up at the end of his turn and force him to block with bad creatures. He loses.

match 2-0
games 4-0
overall 12-3

Round 3 Merfolk (lil kid fish build from what my opponent mentioned?)
He wins the toss

G1. Flying goyf math (vendillion+exalted triggers.)

in 2 ee 2 path
out 4 daze

G2. Force his vial, he lands b2b on me tapped out with basic forest in hand. I draw ponder, I draw island, I see ee,plains, path. Thank you deck for lovin’ me so good. EE 3x cursecatcher into oblivion. Goyf takes it home with a well timed path qasali waste crack.

match 3-0
games 6-0
overall 14-3

Round 4 Merfolk
He wins the toss

G1. He wins because he sees islands after leading double manland vial opening into triple wasteland. I find out hes merfolk after some extensive drawing of no green sources through 3x kantrip and several turns.

In 2 ee 2 path
Out 4 daze

G2. Goyf math+Knight

G3. I lose in an akward situation because I path at the wrong time figuring he would have sided out his dazes which are mostly useless against me. I was so wrong and I get put on my backfoot and can’t get back in it. Akward…..

match 3-1
games 7-2
overall 15-5

Round 5 Dredge
I win the toss

G1. I go trop noble pass, he discards gravetroll, I moan inside. Dredge is pretty unfavorable. I cast t2, and then t4 rhox. He casts the white discard outlet and rolls me eventually.

In 4 relic 2 ee
Out 4 daze 2 vendillion

G2. I roll him with guys and graveyard hate before he can get going.

G3. He opts to draw. Rinse and repeat of game 2.

match 4-1
games 9-3
overall 17-6

Round 6 Cat Zoo
I win the toss

G1. I get rolled by nacatl nacatl linx draw. I draw no removal.

In 2 ee 2 path
Out 2 pierce 2 force (wrong side plan)

G2. I roll him with goyf math and alittle removal.

G3. I have an opener of like 5 or 6 removal spells. Coincidentally every time I draw this hand I never see anything but lands and counters. I get rolled eventually as he hits creature draw 6x in a row off the top.

match 4-2
games 10-5
overall 18-8

Round 7 Fetchland Tendrills
I win the toss

G1. I roll with noble into t2 on the draw vendillion and shift a b wish to the bottom. I roll with flying goyf.

No sideboard changes

G2. I have a slow but powerful hand of trop ponder daze pierce force goyf unkown 7th card. I don’t find my additional land, but I do see noble off the ponder. He casts a thoughtseize, then another 1 two turns later. Follows it up with DD, I think for a minute if I want to daze him to put him down his trop, pass on it. His pile is at 10 storm count in the end so I stp a goyf and hes at 1 card.

match 5-2
games 12-5
overall 20-8

Round 8 Zoo (w/ maindeck vampire fangs)

G1. He rolls me with wild nacatl double lavamancer draw.

In 2 path 2 ee 4 blast
Out 3 pierce 4 force 1 daze

G2. I roll him with goyf math after several turns of threat meets removal.

G3. He casts an early sylvan library which resolves, but even with the card quality that sylvan library brings to the table as well as a collar he can't get the job done.

match 5-2-1
games 13-6-1
overall 21-9-1

Round 9 BG Survival madness
I win the roll

G1. I daze his thoughtseize and put him on eva. I play same land and passes. He plays the same land and passes. I play wasteland, he makes 1 more land drop and then dies to goyf math. Before he dies he casts therapy on himself but I daze it.

In 4 relic
out 4 force

G2. I answer both survivals, he casts some weird shit and I cast goyfs. He shriekmaws them, bye bye. Knight sticks, and triple relic keeps him at bay with his goyf and remaining survival. Knight performs goyf math.

match 6-2-1
games 15-6-1
overall 23-9-1

So I missed out on day 2 barely. I recognize I made several play mistakes in the grinder and main event. As it is I think the deck needs to look into a few difference choices right now in certain creature slots. I will keep the people who are interested posted on the correct thread.

I did meet a variet of sourcers this weekend: Mastershake, Patrick, Morbid, Pheonix Ignition, Rockout, White-Ghost, Aggro Zombies, Rsaunder, Magikal, CDR (thanx for the source paper pads, I used them all.( Wish I could have saved one for a momento!)

After the tournament I ran into Waffo Tappo and we talked for a while about landstill and UGw Tempo. Several people walk up to us and it's funny to watch quite frankly. Apparently Waffo didn't read the source Landstill thread because it was too much information, too long. ?! He went to salvation instead. Guess the Landstill thread may need a clean-up again?

Mastershake qualifies for day2, and we all go to the tournament site. I don't watch him and leave to play with aggro zombies edh vorosh deck. heh cute tricks. Should have kept my crosis deck...........

So in the end most of my friends I get to say goodbye too. I was glad the tournament is over, but I wish I could do the exact same thing next week. Chris gives us his story of a tendrills player casting top. We all laugh for LITERALLY HOURS about it.

Props:
-Chris day2
-Chris and Pattrick for driving my ass down and listen to me shout obscenities about 8 stps and ridiculously highlander-esque side boarding strategies!
-Me 6-2-1 ALMOST MADE IT!
-Bryant Cook, which I could have meet you and talked about your rounds. Congrats on the top8
-All the sourcers who showed up to do battle, rofl.
-Guy who made the strange comparison in the player meeting of sex and storm count.
-Pheonix, for finishing two places higher then me. May you rott in hell.

Slops:
-My play mistakes 4, and sideboard mistakes 2
-Me for talking to Saito and not realizing I was talking to Saito. Atleast it was a good conversation?
-Morbid, Aggro Zombies, Patrick. Do better. (3-2-1 Birthday TIME!)
-Tendrills guys friend in the main event. Mind your own fucking business. Your lucky i'm not a complete prick.

Mark Sun
08-03-2010, 01:32 PM
So once we go to the Concention Center I greet and watch Morbid; he opens a hand with this deck in a game 3 with double relic tormod's crypt and loses to dredge.... scrub! He quickly takes a break, I enter pod 5 in the grinder.

I hate you so much. If I had drawn a single creature beyond the lone Noble Hierarch that game, the 20 turns we slow rolled would have been a lot easier to bear, as I would have been pummeling his face with dudes. Fuck me.

Great job on stuff, I can definitely attest to the power of this deck (if I had correctly added EE to the sideboard before starting my grinders like a good player). Was good to host ya. Btw, you still have my GP Jitte :cry:

mossivo1986
08-03-2010, 01:52 PM
You sided out knight of the reliquaries. 3 of them.... Look at your creature density at that point and you tell me if that statement makes sense. You dont side out the cards that win you the game. You side out the cards that dont. Vendillion doesnt win you the game consistently against dredge.

also, ill mail u the jitte.

Mark Sun
08-03-2010, 02:05 PM
You sided out knight of the reliquaries. 3 of them.... Look at your creature density at that point and you tell me if that statement makes sense. You dont side out the cards that win you the game. You side out the cards that dont. Vendillion doesnt win you the game consistently against dredge.

also, ill mail u the jitte.

Haha, yeah, I fucked that part up, my boarding plan for that matchup was something awful like:

-3 Knight
-2 Ponder
-1 Brainstorm

+2 Path to Exile
+3 Relic of Progenitus
+1 Tormod's Crypt

However, with 4 Hierarch / 4 Pridemage / 4 Goyf / 2 RWM / 1 Clique, I should have at least gotten a swing at him with 2 guys on the field. But apparently I fucked up, although I thought Swords'ing Ichorids was pretty good.

Phoenix Ignition
08-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Props:
-Pheonix, for finishing two places higher then me. May you rott in hell.

With maindeck Deathcloud and Grave Titan. Take that legacy presumptions!

The deck is now almost all foil, but I get bored of things so quickly it might have been a bad investment.

oxeimon
08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
I can't believe I forgot that you could stp your own goyf. I should have just gone for the emrakul pile and passed the turn. You'd be looking at a 4-outer at best.

>.<

It was my first real tournament though (I've played in like 8 other events over 7 years, all with no more than 16 people), so given that, I'm pretty happy with my performance.

CaptShetz
08-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Thought you'd like to hear how I did... you can read about it in the New Horizons thread:

Herp Derp (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?15244-[Deck]-New-Horizons&p=477438&viewfull=1#post477438)

Patrick
08-03-2010, 11:13 PM
My draw with Workstation Rock was because I sat with my back to the clock. Not making excuses, but I'm never doing this again.

Also, how about some props for me driving 9 hours so you and Christopher could talk and wiggle.

Plague Sliver
08-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Hmm, never thought about storm count that way.

Nice report, sucks to see you were *this* close to Day 2...it does confirm my belief that I need to give your deck a try. Nothing better than bread n' butter beats backed by countermagic.

mossivo1986
08-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Matt: Congrats on your finish as well! Why did you put that in the New horizons thread instead of just placing it in the UGw Tempo thread. I think it belongs there :).

But man you got spanked in day 2! Just wow. That must have been an experience from hell!

Patt, props update just for you sweetheart.

Plague. It totally works. I just did it, my girlfriend looked at me kind of weird though!!!!!!