PDA

View Full Version : [Brainstorming] Sliver Queen

Aggro_zombies
08-05-2010, 06:02 PM
I know it seems weird to be asking for ideas for a Sliver Queen deck, since the obvious thing is to just add some slivers. However, I don't want to do that because 1) tribal Slivers are boring, 2) tribal Slivers are sly, 3) if you get eaten then no one will cry.

My current EDH decks are combo-control (Oona), combo-aggro (Momir Vig), and dredge (Vorosh). I want to stay away from combo if possible. However, I like interesting control decks, so I was hoping for some ideas in that vein.

I like tap-out control more than the counter-based variety (also, my only Mana Drain is in Oona). That's not to say that I don't want counters, just that I want to be tapping a lot on my turn and don't want to play draw-go. I also tried Sliver Queen Enchantress and Sliver Queen 63 Lands, and both of those decks were absolute disaster zones that never made it off paper. However, if someone has good lists for me to lift ideas from (or just straight-up build), I'm keenly interested.

Basically, I'm looking for a control deck that's fun to play with and against. I don't want the game to come down to, "I Mind Twisted my opponent and he quit in disgust while I made a hundred Sliver tokens to rush him." I like decks like Solar Flare that do something interesting in addition to being control decks. And...I'm fresh out of ideas for this general, although I really want to play her.

Any suggestions?

(Also: mass LD and storm are house-rule-banned. My goal is not to make the more casual players around me suffer.)

scrumdogg
08-05-2010, 09:14 PM
The Problem with Sliver Queen (as opposed to the other 5c sliver general) is that to be any good (other than mindless sliver tribal aggro) you have to be combo of some sort. The classic old school multi-player Ashnod's Altar + Queen + Altar of Dementia is still funny...but not nearly as effective with Eldrazi running around. Unless you wanted to just build a control deck with access to the best cards in all colors & a general that lets you spooge out chump blockers as needed. Even then, you probably need some help making the chumpers relevant (flying, deathtouch, lure+ leprosy & Ebola, whatever). Might be worth running SotF for your 'package' and interesting recursion methods.

94teen
08-05-2010, 11:17 PM
I had a 5 color tap out control list on this forum somewhere. I'll try to dig it up in case you'd like to look at it. It's been a blast to play, though people do tend to get a little tired of it once in awhile.

I've been brewing up a Sliver Queen elfball-style combo deck for awhile, if you're interested in that. I don't think I have the list down quite yet, but it's pretty interesting to goldfish the deck. Biggest thing I've learned from it is that Dormant Sliver is broken when you have a constant source of slivers and sac outlets to get rid of defender.

EDIT: link (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?17894)