PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday Piles?

Malchar
08-06-2010, 03:15 AM
Are there any Doomsday piles that win the game outright in EDH? Since LED is banned, it makes it a lot harder. Most decklists from legacy and vintage use LED since it's the best choice, but are there any other cards that would also work?

kinda
08-06-2010, 03:52 AM
If you're playing 1v1 you can do shelldock isle/emrakul. Even in multiplayer this can still work if no one can deal with it...and your 5th card keeps you alive.

fusionshogun
08-06-2010, 04:19 AM
Does: Shelldock Isle, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Mox Diamond, any land, and Elfhame Sanctuary work?

94teen
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
From the recent GP:

Brainstorm
Cloud of Faeries
Shelldock Isle
Emrakul
Solitary Confinement/Shared Fate to stop you from decking.

kinda
08-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Words of waste/words of wisdom work if you don't have 5 land or aren't playing white.

ramanujan
08-07-2010, 02:27 PM
I have always used the following to "Good" effect.
doomsday, set this pile, then cantrip if you can.
You should be able to figure out the mana requirements, both on total mana and lands in play, ect.
The result is infinite storm and many opponents complaining that this format is supposed to be fun.

Predict
I prefer Tendrils here, but grapeshot also works well
Rain of filth
conjurers bauble
second sunrise

Malchar
08-07-2010, 11:29 PM
I have always used the following to "Good" effect.
doomsday, set this pile, then cantrip if you can.
You should be able to figure out the mana requirements, both on total mana and lands in play, ect.
The result is infinite storm and many opponents complaining that this format is supposed to be fun.

Predict
I prefer Tendrils here, but grapeshot also works well
Rain of filth
conjurers bauble
second sunrise

Thanks to everyone who posted. This is the ideal combo that I was looking for though. Using a compact combo that wins outright seems better than getting a sneaky Emrakul, but I do like that particular Emrakul combo, since I haven't seen it before. If my calculations are correct, I think you'll need five mana minimum to go off. This assumes that you do it on the turn after the doomsday. Definitely withing acceptable limits for EDH.

mossivo1986
08-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Where is the DDT Bible located?

sunshine
08-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Maybe I'm just being dense but would somebody mind explaining that Second Sunrise pile to me? If I recall correctly lands that come into play after Rain of Filth resolves cannot be sacrifice for mana.

Magiccards.info to the rescue:

10/4/2004: {Rain of Filth} Only grants the ability to lands you control when this ability resolves.

ramanujan
08-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Sorry,

Replace that with Squandered Resources.

Peace

Mostly_Harmless
08-10-2010, 12:09 PM
In Sliver Queen, I was a big fan of this one. If you already have one of them, it's cheaper to play the Alarm before the Necrotic, but then you need a random card at the bottom.

Dormant Sliver
Heart Sliver
Gemhide Sliver
Necrotic Sliver
Intruder Alarm

With a reanimation or mill spell in hand (let's say Reanimate and Tome Scour), this one's kind of cool. Just take the one you have out of the pile. (And if you have a mill spell and three dudes, Dread Return means you don't have to draw into the pile.)

Tome Scour
Reanimate
Sharuum the Hegemon
Sculpting Steel
Bridge From Below
Altar of Dementia

I suspect you could do the same thing with a Project X style kill, but I don't know exactly how.

You could also try:

Future Sight
Helm of Awakening/Etherium Sculptor
Sensei's Divining Top
Brainfreeze/Tendrils
Any Card You Want

That one's probably the best of the three, since all those cards are playable anyways, and it doesn't need too many colors or any cards in hand. On the other hand, the second one only costs two plus drawing into the pile, and you can play it in an Esper deck. Come to think of it, if Sharuum was your general you could put blink in the pile instead of Sharuum. Or go off after they hinder Sharuum. That sounds kind of fun.

Anusien
08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Sounds strongly like somebody doesn't "get" EDH.

Mostly_Harmless
08-10-2010, 12:58 PM
I don't think that's necessarily true. (I'm not sure if you were responding to me in particular, but I might as well reply.) I love more traditionally EDHy decks. My first and favorite EDH deck was a Ghost Council midrange attrition build that was very much in the spirit of the format. Our format has since grown a lot more competitive (as I think a lot of them do), so I've turned to slightly more powerful tools. At the time I built said Sliver Queen deck, it was one of the slowest decks (either to kill or lock) in the format. Things have gotten better since then, but I think a ten mana (at best) doomsday combo is pretty reasonable. And besides, I think it's ridiculously cool to crack into an infinite combo with Tome Scour of all cards or end the game with no libraries in the game (at least once).

Also, in my defense, he asked for Doomsday piles.

dahcmai
08-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Well, if you want a really ridiculous pile then here you go.

Inheritance
Enduring Renewal
Phyrexian Altar
Ornithopter
Soldevi Digger
Grinning Totem

You'll need one in hand of course and this is a slow roller, but damned funny. Play Inheritance first and people will be like WTF? Then play the Altar, more WTF looks. Play Enduring Renewal, Ornithopter, go infinite mana, use Inheritance to draw up the rest of the cards. Play Digger and then recycle Grinning Totem over and over, drawing it with the Inheritance and putting it back with the Digger to be drawn. Use your infinite any color of mana to play everything you stole from everyone. Scream "I am the greatest!" Say go.

lol You asked.

Malchar
07-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Anyone know of any edh doomsday piles that could go in a monoblack deck?

Davran
07-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Are there any Doomsday piles that win the game outright in EDH? Since LED is banned, it makes it a lot harder. Most decklists from legacy and vintage use LED since it's the best choice, but are there any other cards that would also work?

Pretty sure LED was unbanned semi-recently...not sure what the RC was thinking, but there it is.

kombatkiwi
07-30-2012, 09:00 PM
^The OP was made in 2010

As for a monoblack doomsday pile I'm not sure if there's one that's good enough.
I wouldn't want to put a bunch of clunky cards in my deck just so I can win with epic doomsday (eg Dachmai's idea) but your opinion may differ I guess

Malchar
07-31-2012, 01:35 AM
I'm not necessarily looking for something as flashy as dahcmai suggested. I'm not worried about running "bad" cards, since you get so many tutors in black, you're much more likely to find the doomsday. The best I'm able to come up with so far is something like this:

infernal contract
leyline of the void
helm of obedience
something
something

The other slots can be tailored to fit the situation. Notable candidates include dark ritual/cabal ritual for mana, voltaic key to untap the helm, and/or necropotence to prevent you from decking yourself.

I wish that there was a combo using tendrils, sensei's top, lion's eye diamond, and other goodies to get an infinite storm loop, but I don't think that it exists without using blue.