1 Emrakul
2 Blazing Archon
2 Rebuild
1 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Deathmark
1 Duress
1 Pithing Needle
1 Wipe Away

Rd1 vs James King (!) Playing Ichorid. Game 1 he plays CoB, Careful Study. I ponder. He plays CTherapy but misses. I Thoghtseize him to take his Narcomoeba, then win on the next turn with DD-Tendrils. Game 2 he plays PImp, I Duress but he has no non-creatures. He discards, then dredges. He therapies a DRit out of my hand, but I have 2 LED, IT. I draw Petal, then BS into another DRit and win with IGG.

I win Rd2 vs Matt Saucy w/ Zoo. Game 1 I keep Swamp, 2 Thoughtseize, 2 DRit, Ponder, DD, because I'm crazy like that. I start with TS, seeing 3 lands, Swords, Qasali, 2 Lavamancer. I take Qasali. He plays land, GL. I play DRit, DD and pile: Shelldock, Island, Emrakul, Tendrils, Chain of Vapor, then pass. He plays GL#2, then swings for 1. I play Shelldock and pass. He attacks with 1 guy and Lightning bolts me to 4. I play Emrakul, he Lavamancers me to 2. I attack with Emrakul, then Ponder into Tendrils ftw. Game 2 he starts with Leyline of Sanctity. I have 3 lands, DRit, LED, IT, Petal. We play land, go for several turns. He doesn't play any animals. All I need is a way to draw a card and I can win with a DD pile including CoV, but instead I just raw dog the Chain off the top and win.

I lose rd3 to Matt Hazard playing Belcher. Game 1 he is on the play, he cycles Street Wraith, then goes all in with Land Grant, 2 Rite of Flame, and EtW for 8 dudes. I kept a hand of something like Island, 2 BS, DRit, Duress, DD, LED, etc. I play Island, go. He attacks to put me at 12. On my turn I draw, then BS, but don't hit a black land, only another Island. I play Island, Top, pass. He beats me to 4. On my turn I go draw, BS again, and get a Swamp on the last card. I win with a standard DD pile (Meditate, 2 LED, Petal, Tendrils). Game 2 he goes LED, Land Grant, ESG, Pyretic Rit, Seething Song, Belcher, win. Game 3 I mull to 5 and keep 2 lands, Duress, Thoughtseize, and IT. I Duress him and see 2 Land Grant, 2 Belcher, Seething Song, Mammorphose, and LED, which I take. On my next turn I TS away his Seething Song, but I'm stuck sitting with 2 IT and nothing else. We don't do much for several turns, then he goes all in with ESG, Pyretic Rit, Manamorphose, needing to hit more mana on the cantrip. He rips another PRit, and drops EtW for 10 guys. I can't recover in time.

I win rd4 vs Travis Ladouceur w/ ANT. This is probably the closest match I played all day. Game 1 he Duresses me, then I TS him, seeing 2 Grim Tutors, Preordain, 2 Delta. I figure I've got a couple turns, so on my next turn I DD, setting up the Emrakul kill with CoF on top (I had Shelldock in my hand). EOT he Brianstorms, then Tendrils me for 10 off pretty much a perfect BS. Bad beats. Game 2 we again Duress and TS each other for a few turns, but then he starts playing a bunch of cantrips while I have lots of mana, but no business. The turn before he kills me I topdeck a Ponder, and Ponder into IT, which is enough to win. Game 3 is pretty much the same, lots of Duess early, followed by Ponders and BS. Eventually I pull off a DD for just enough.

Rd 5 I win vs. Ian Anderson playing Hexmage Depths. Game 1 he starts Island, Brainstorm. I go USea, Duress, seeing Stifle, Hexmage, Brainstorm, Depths, Bayou. I take Stifle. I play DD for the Shelldock stack with CoF on top, since I have Shelldock in hand. He plays Hexmage and Depths, but Erkle gets there a turn earlier. Game 2 I mull to 5. He plays land go. I play land, TS, seeing Living Wish, Lim-Dul's Vault, Hexmage, Ponder, Stifle. I take Stifle. He again assembles Hexmage and Depths in relatively short time, but the turn before I die I am able to DD into a Tendrils win.

I win rd6 vs Ben Carp with Merfolk. Game 1 I start with TS, seeing 2 lands, Vial, Lord, Reejery, FOW, CCommader. I take FOW. With no other resistance, I kill him 2 turns later with a standard DD pile. He drew a Daze, but I have the mana to play around it. Game 2 I side in 4x Show and Tell, Emrakul, 2 Blazing Archon, and some other stuff. He starts with Cursecatcher. I play Top. He plays another Cursecatcher, Reejery, and Mutavault while I build mana and sculpt my hand. At 5 life I am able to go off again with a standard DD pile with just enough mana to play through the CC and Daze that he drew. I also had a S&T in hand, so I could have gone DD, S&T for Archon, which would have required less mana.

I lost round 7 to Ryan Messick playing Goblins, of all things. Game 1 I mull to 5. He goes first and drops Lackey. I play Swamp, TS. He has land, 2 Vials, Piledriver and Warchief. I unconfidantly take Warchief. He attacks with Lackey, getting Piledriver in there. I Ponder, and see Top, DRit, and DD, the perfect three cards to win in 2 turns (I have LED in hand). I draw and play Top and pass. On his turn he attacks for 4, and Lackeys in Seige-Gang Commander!!!, which he just drew. I draw DRit, but will not last another turn to draw DD. If I would have taken Piledriver instead of Warchief, I could have survived. Game 2 I kill him first turn: Petal, DRit, LED, LED, IT. Game 3 he plays land go. I Duress him, seeing Mindbreak Trap, 2 Chieftains, a Warchief, Wort. I take Trap, and feel comfortable knowing I have some time. Unfortunately, my hand does not cooperate. I draw all my Brainstorms, all my Tops, a couple Ponders. I have an IT, but can't empty my hand because I can't find an LED. Eventually I lose. Boo.

I win rd8 vs 2009 Legacy Champion Ernest Turck with Vengevine Survival. Game 1 he goes land, go. I play land, TS which gets Dazed. He plays land go. I play Fetchland, which gets Stifled. He plays land, Survival. I play land Ponder. He discards a bunch of creatures. On his turn he discards a bunch more creatures and attacks with 4 Vengevine for 16, putting me at 1. On my turn I Brainstorm, don't get what I need, Brainstorm again, finally hitting IT with the last draw, aalowing me to IGG into Tendrils for just enough. Game 2 he starts land, Rootwalla. I play land, and bait with a Pithing Needle, but it sticks and I name Survival. On his turn he attacks for 1 and plays Aquamoeba. On my turn I play DRit, TS (which I just drew), and Show and Tell, dropping Emrakul. He scoops.

So I finished 16th. I got:
1 pack Portal III Kingdoms
1 pack Italian Legends
3 packs foreign WB Revised

On a side note, the two players I lost to in the Swiss played in the finals.

BackDr0p
08-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Congatz on your placement. I have one question, are there any changes you would make to your MD/SB after the tourney?

B.C.
08-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Cloud of Faeries was pretty much useless, otherwise I thought the MD was good. I never used Rebuild/Hurkyl's all day, so they could probably be something else too.

DCTopTeam
08-08-2010, 07:29 AM
What's the updates @ Legacy Gencon? Wizards is not covering the event I see. Which deck won?

B.C.
08-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Goblins beat Belcher in the finals. For serious. Game 1, Belcher has a first turn kill on the play. Game 2 Goblins plays Mindbreak Trap on Belcher, then wins. Game 3 goes: lots of Goblins, lethal on board next turn, Belcher plays a Belcher which gets Mindbreak Trap, respnd with Gut Response. Activate Belcher with LED, flip over 4 cards then the only land in the deck.

BackDr0p
08-08-2010, 10:53 PM
That sounds like a pretty epic final!

Personally, I find that the Rebuild effects to be meta dependent. Usually the regular bounce (CoV, E. Truth or Wipe Away) should suffice for most problematic permanents. If anything, I would keep Rebuild as opposed to Hurkyl's Recall in the board. At least it has a better chance at dodging counterbalance and circumvents Chalice@2/Spell Snare.