PDA

View Full Version : Tammy's Aviary

AlterEgo
08-09-2010, 08:01 AM
This is one of my favourite casual decks - and it is surprisingly powerful (just won't stand a chance in any developed Legacy meta).

The Decklist:

Core (10)
4 Glittering Wish
3 Swans of Bryn Argoll
3 Tamanoa

Burn (24)
3 Chain of Plasma
1 Conflagrate
3 Firespout
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
4 Magma Jet
2 Pyroclasm
4 Volcanic Fallout

Mana (26)
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Chrome Mox
4 Jungle Shrine
4 Karplusan Forest
1 Reflecting Pool
2 Forest
4 Mountain
3 Plains

Wishboard
1 Ajani Vengeant
1 Armadillo Cloak
1 Behemoth Sledge
1 Firespout
1 Fracturing Gust
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Lightning Helix
1 Naya Charm
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Snakeform
1 Swans of Bryn Argoll
1 Tamanoa
1 Vexing Shusher
1 Wheel of Sun and Moon

The goal is getting out one of the spirits and then using burn to either gain obscene amounts of life or draw tons of cards, ultimately finishing with even more burn or the Plasma-Swans combo.

I'm going to try this thing as an archenemy soon... just need to get that Wheel and find a replacement for Conflagrate (Spiraling Embers?).

Benjammn
08-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Conflagrate seems like a decent way to kill people. Firestorm works really well too. Spiraling Embers seems too expensive to me.

AlterEgo
08-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Normally you are right, which is why my decklist in fact contains a Conflagrate.
But normally you have only ONE opponent, so you need only ONE kill spell. Conflagrate is optimal at that, it just can't deal more damage than there are cards in your hand - so perhaps 30 at maximum - before exiling itself.
This way you can burn out one, maybe two opponents, but not more.

Firestorm on the other hand seems really a decent replacement - if I'm going to use Wheel anyway, it even becomes reusable, because all I have to do is save a Chain in my hand and combo out again next turn. Thank you for the suggestion!
The only thing, that bugs me about it, I'd like to burn my opponents down one by one, starting with the most dangerous one...

boxxy
08-10-2010, 12:10 PM
This deck seems good, I like how the swans can double as a beat stick if you can't get the combo off. But it seems like you need a lot of mana to get anything off, maybe playing some mana ramping like elves or birds would help?

AlterEgo
08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
You have hit one problem I have also faced - and solved.
In my first version, I played the standard of 20 lands and was screwed almost every game. I also soon realized, that both creatures always came late. I helped it off with two more lands and 4x Chrome Mox - I'm quite satisfied with the performance since then.

Birds and Elves are certainly good at their job, but they have one huge disadvantage - they're creatures!
With this deck at the table, creatures don't live very long (at least those with Toughness <4). Also, as Tamanoa doesn't give them lifelink, I had to restrict myself to the absolute minimum of creatures, which ist 6 + Wishes.

Btw, you will rarely have problems getting the combo off, once you control a Swan. Lightning Bolt your little birdie and you fully understand, why Ancestral Recall is so damn expensive.