PDA

View Full Version : Ninjas

Cyrus
08-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Can't afford FoWs for now,so they aren't really an option. Is there anything I could do to make this list better?

// Lands
14 [ZEN] Island (1a)
4 [TE] Wasteland

// Creatures
4 [UL] Cloud of Faeries
4 [LRW] Spellstutter Sprite
4 [BOK] Ninja of the Deep Hours
3 [M10] Zephyr Sprite
4 [BOK] Mistblade Shinobi
4 [AQ] Ornithopter

// Spells
4 [R] Counterspell
4 [NE] Daze
4 [M10] Ponder
2 [DIS] Writ of Passage
3 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
2 [MR] Mask of Memory

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [DS] Echoing Truth
SB: 4 [B] Blue Elemental Blast
SB: 3 [NE] Submerge
SB: 1 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
SB: 1 [CH] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 2 [SHM] Faerie Macabre
SB: 2 [WWK] Dispel

Rune
08-15-2010, 05:09 PM
I would play Jitte or Sword of Fire and Ice since they are really good with faeries and give you some needed board control. I would also play Brainstorm and fetches before adding Ponder

Iranon
08-19-2010, 02:12 PM
I believe this can actually keep up with most serious decks.

I'd recommend Standstill and Mutavault over Wasteland and Mask of Memory/Cantrips; if you want to keep Wasteland Stifle may be worth including depending on what manabases you expect.

I also quite like Familiar's Ruse to recycle Sprites/Ninjas, and believe there should be more ways to deal with resolved creatures. Equipment would be the popular choice, I prefer stealing them.

My maindeck is currently

16 Island
3 Mutavault

3 Ornithopter
4 Zephyr Sprite
4 Cloud of Faeries
4 Spellstutter Sprite
4 Mistblade Shinobi
4 Ninja of the Deep Hours
3 Sower of Temptation

4 Standstill
4 Daze
2 Familiar's Ruse
1 Writ of Passage
4 Force of Will

コーヒー
09-06-2010, 12:17 AM
I agree with Iranon, i run a similar deck and it can be really competitive (though Zoo makes me cry). My only suggestions are to get some Jittes (obv) and consider Vial. I think Vendilion Clique has a place here too, ive been liking him in my build.

Caspid
09-27-2010, 10:23 AM
I was just about to post my super-budget version (~$5 using the Low prices on magiccards.info, about $14 to actually buy on blackborder.com. without the darn clouds of faeries and faerie conclave it'd be $7.50 actual.)

4 Ornithopter
4 Zephyr Sprite
4 Cloud of Faeries
4 Spellstutter Sprite
4 Mistblade Shinobi
1 Walker of Secret Ways - somewhat useless

1 Shuriken - hobo's jitte i guess
1 AEther Spellbomb - idk goes with the ninja/bounce theme
1 Ronin Warclub - faster beats and no equip cost
2 Writ of Passage
4 Spell Pierce
4 Familiar's Ruse
2 Capsize - for those long games

18 Island
2 Faerie Conclave - ups spellstutter count or beats

Things that would help a ton if it weren't budget (but you could add to yours!):
Jitte - mvp of the deck. kills creatures, pumps yours, wins games
Standstill - amazing, since you can ninjutsu through it
FoW
Wasteland
Mutavault
Daze
Higure, the Still Wind - ?
Spell Snare
Counterspell

Pneumatiker
09-27-2010, 10:30 AM
4 Ornithopter
4 Zephyr Sprite
4 Cloud of Faeries
4 Spellstutter Sprite
4 Mistblade Shinobi
1 Walker of Secret Ways

1 Shuriken
1 AEther Spellbomb
1 Ronin Warclub - faster beats and no equip cost
2 Writ of Passage
4 Spell Pierce
4 Familiar's Ruse
2 Capsize

18 Island
2 Faerie Conclave

nedleeds
10-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Ninjas are moderately cool. Why isn't Man 'o' War just better than Mistblade. I know with Vial he is infinitely better.

Mr. Safety
12-02-2010, 11:40 AM
I always used Trinket Mage with my ninja builds. Fetches Shuriken, Sensei's Divining Top, Pithing Needle, and artifact lands in a pinch. TM x2 and a 3 card package (Needle, Shuriken,Top) were what I was using.

I think for this type of mono-blue aggro/control, I'd look to Vedalken Shackles before Sower of Temptation. I'm currently using Shackles along with Perilous Research in a U/b faerie build. I've toyed with Ninja of the Deep Hours (easily the best ninja) in that build, but I felt I need fewer dudes and more control in that particular deck.

Familiar's Ruse is cute, but it's no Counterspell. I'd only use 2 FR and get Counterspell in there x4. With a decent all-blue curve, Disrupting Shoal becomes a fairly decent option as well. Daze is of course great tech in this build.

Jeff Kruchkow
12-02-2010, 11:55 AM
A buddy of minefooled around with something like this for a while and it was half decent although the only ninja is deep hours since hes the only good one

4 spellstutter sprite
4 cloud of faeries
4 ninja of deep hours
3 vendilion clique

4 fow
4 daze
3 pierce
3 snare
4 vial
4 standstill
2 jitte
1 SoFI

4 mutavault
4 waste
12 island

Mr. Safety
02-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Needs moar Serendib Efreet

Mr_Miyagi
04-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Here's a tempodenial-version of Faestill that i've been playing for a while now. It's still somewhat budget and highly comptitive.

10 Island
4 Wasteland
4 Rishadan Port

4 Stifle
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
4 Curfew

4 Standstill
4 Aether Vial

4 Cloud of Faeries
4 Spellstutter Sprite
3 Pestermite
3 Man-o'-War

As most Faeriebuilds do, it breaks even with most decks and rewards playskill. It has positive combomatchups in general, Dredge being the exception.

Nightbird
07-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Anything with Force of Will is definitely not budget. It costs more than most, if not all, dual lands, and pretty much the only thing that costs more is the Power 9. I seriously wish they would ban FoW in Legacy. Or make Modern an actual Supported Gametype. That would really make me happy.

Grillo
07-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Here's a tempodenial-version of Faestill that i've been playing for a while now. It's still somewhat budget and highly comptitive.

10 Island
4 Wasteland
4 Rishadan Port

4 Stifle
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
4 Curfew

4 Standstill
4 Aether Vial

4 Cloud of Faeries
4 Spellstutter Sprite
3 Pestermite
3 Man-o'-War

As most Faeriebuilds do, it breaks even with most decks and rewards playskill. It has positive combomatchups in general, Dredge being the exception.

That's hardly a budget deck. It costs nearly $900!

(nameless one)
07-22-2011, 02:50 PM
What about this permission package?:

4x Mental Misstep
4x Daze
Xx Spell Pierce

Mr. Safety
07-25-2011, 12:49 PM
What about this permission package?:

4x Mental Misstep
4x Daze
Xx Spell Pierce

That's a pretty decent permission package...my only contention is that in :u: ninjas, there isn't a good reason to *not* use Counterspell.

I would do:

4x Mental Misstep
4x Daze
2-4x Counterspell

Ornithopter is really lousy...it's only use is to get a turn 2 Deep Hours. I would play 4 Zephyr's and call it a day. Basilisk Collar and Umezawa's Jitte can take the other 3 slots left over.

Cool build. I also like Curfew A MILLION TIMES better than Writ of Passage. It can save your creatures from removal (ninja shenanigans with unblocked faeires, replay Spellstutter or bounce a Cloud to cycle) while also messing with your opponent's board.

lyracian
07-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Needs moar Serendib Efreet
Why? Efreet is neither a Fairy or a Ninja?

Anything with Force of Will is definitely not budget. It costs more than most, if not all, dual lands, and pretty much the only thing that costs more is the Power 9. I seriously wish they would ban FoW in Legacy. Or make Modern an actual Supported Gametype. That would really make me happy.Legacy card choice is not based on the secondry value of cards. There is nothing wrong with Force, except that Wizards have not yet re-printed it. Modern Magic is the format for budget Legacy players.

Cool build. I also like Curfew A MILLION TIMES better than Writ of Passage. It can save your creatures from removal (ninja shenanigans with unblocked faeires, replay Spellstutter or bounce a Cloud to cycle) while also messing with your opponent's board.
Curfew also gives you an answer to Turn one Lackey and, possibly, natural Order; which helps the resilience of the deck.

While I think these are some neat decks they are just Fairy decks with Ninja of Deep Hours, not much in the way of an actual Ninja deck with only one of them on show.

Mr. Safety
08-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Serndib Efreet has the muscle to actually finish off a game with Ninjas. They aren't aggressive enough on their own...they need support. Vendilion Clique could also be used, as it gets good as a re-play and has decent power to close out a game. I'm just saying this: look into powerful evasive threats so you don't lose because your 1/1 and 2/2 ninjas take too long.

Nabbydian
08-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Has anyone tried Distortion Strike? I find myself hoping to draw this card all the time so I can unleash my ninjas onto the field.

I play U/B Ninjas with throat slitter and the deck is really fun to play unless my opponents has lots of instant removal like zoo or is playing black creatures.