PDA

View Full Version : Valakut, the Ramping Loam

eq.firemind
08-18-2010, 06:27 AM
I like manaramp spells 'cause it reminds me of my earlier Magic days.
And I like Titan cycle from M10 - THAT's how Mythic should feel like.
Aand I like boombastic wins like scapeshifting into Valakut and 6 mountains.
Aaand I have some free time at work!

So it's time for some casual deck to appear.
Here's what pops up fro the top of my head:

MAINDECK:

4 Wooded Foothills
4 Taiga
1 Stomping Ground
2 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
4 Forgotten Cave
2 Tranquil Thicket
3 Forest
6 Mountain
4 Mox Diamond

3 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Explore/Cultivate/Yavimaya Elder/Harrow
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Life from the Loam
3 Burning Wish
3 Devastating Dreams
3 Scapeshift
3 Primeval Titan

SIDEBOARD
1 Shattering Spree
1 Life from the Loam
1 Scapeshift
1 Devastating Dreams
3 Firespout
1 Reverent Silence

So this is basically a mix AggroLoam, Scapeshiftfrom Extended and Titan Ramp from Type 2.
The goal is to not miss landdrops, chumpblock with Elders, ramping into Titan or Scapeshift to finish opponent with Valakut.
The backup plan is to use AggroLoam strategy and bury opponent with Dev Dreams and bash with Tarmo and Titan.

I will be glad to hear advices about this deck 'cause it looks like the realization of some of my Magic childish dreams. :smile:

mujadaddy
08-18-2010, 11:46 AM
I like it. Not sure it has enough hand-refill for Devastating Dreams.

mercc
08-18-2010, 01:55 PM
I love this kind of deck.
I love the innovation.

But I don't want to be a playa-hata. But how does it beat counters?

eq.firemind
08-19-2010, 01:55 AM
I like it. Not sure it has enough hand-refill for Devastating Dreams.
Well, 3 Loam + 3 Wish and 3 Top seems to be enough.
Maybe maindecking Firespout will be good...
But I'm not sure if the deck needs such a sweeper at all...

I love this kind of deck.
I love the innovation.

But I don't want to be a playa-hata. But how does it beat counters?
Well, if it's just aggressive/tempo deck with counters (like Merfolks), the goal is to chumpblock and ramp into Valakut or chumpblock and start Loam engine and either sweep with DDreams or bury them with straight card advantage.
It it's Counterbalance, then you most likely have some time to establish your board. Both Scapeshift and Primeval Titan are beyond Counterbalance range.
And Vexing Shusher can find 3 slots in sideboard (also helps against Chalice of the Void)

I am now thinking about how awesome Knight of the Reliquary will be in this deck. She digs your Valakut, she activates it and she has huge power/toughness. Just don't know what to cut...

Setherial
08-19-2010, 03:34 AM
I'm actually running a very simular deck right now and I've ended up cutting Valakut because it doesn't play well with devestating dreams. Neither do the Titans (which I wasn't running in the first place).
My build is now focussed around mana accell, devestating dreams and seismic assault.

In my opinion If you want a Titan/Valakut build you'll have to cut devestating dreams and find another way to control the board. Maybe look at 43 lands and get more of a toolbox out of titan with lands that do more then give mana.

eq.firemind
08-20-2010, 05:20 AM
I've done some changes to the list. Here's the updated one:

MAINDECK:

4 Wooded Foothills
4 Taiga
1 Savannah
2 Plateau
1 Windswept Heath
1 Arid Mesa
2 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
3 Forgotten Cave
2 Tranquil Thicket
1 Forest
5 Mountain
4 Mox Diamond

4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Explore/Cultivate/Farseek/Harrow/Far Wanderings
3 Life from the Loam

4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Primeval Titan

3 Sensei's Divining Top
3 Burning Wish
3 Engineered Explosives
2 Ajani Vengeant

SIDEBOARD
1 Shattering Spree
1 Reverent Silence
1 Life from the Loam
1 Scapeshift
1 Tariff
3 Firespout

I included white, replaced Tarmogoyf with the awesome Knight of the Reliquary and added Tariff in wishboard to fight against Progenitus and Emrakul.

Board control elements were reworked too. Scapeshift left main 'cause it was dead in early and midgame.
Devastating Dreams are out for taking the deck into another direction.
The 4th Titan takes 1 Scapeshift's slot as it proved to be much better wincon.
With the addition of 3rd color 3 Engineered Explosives are 100% fit here and they solve sooo much problems like Vial, double Nacatls, Counterbalance, Chalice and so much more.
2 Ajani Vengeant was the last idea and the deck can reliably cast the card on turn 3, so he arrives just in time to Helix Nacat or hold something bigger, saving you a huge chunk of life.

I still can't decide about ramp spells 5-8 (4 Sakura-Tribe Elder are out of question 'cause they can chumpblock AND ramp).
The main contenders are Farseek and Far Wanderings
Farseek can search duals, wich allows me to run less basics and still be able to turn ramp into burn via active Valakut at any stage of the game.
Far Wanderings doesn't give me the second land (like Cultivate do), but Loam engine should provide enough lands to not miss regular landdrops and dredges the trеshold, so Wanderings are 100 times better if I have Valakut on battlefield.
I guess I'll try 2/2 and 1/3 Seek/Wanderings...

The deck looks much better now. What do you think?