PDA

View Full Version : Null Rod?

fusionshogun
08-22-2010, 03:33 AM
In my metagame, artifact mana is being abused by almost everyone. Even decks that don't have that high of a curve almost always seem to include Gilded Lotus and the like. What type of deck do you guys think would offer the best home for Null Rod? So far, I think that it would have to be green so that it can have reliable acceleration. It also needs to be able to tutor for Null Rod, which makes black and white/blue more interesting. Would a Doran deck be the best home for a Null Rod? Would Doran be hurt if it couldn't reliably run signets or something like them? Or maybe a Vorosh deck? I'm curious about peoples' thoughts on the use of Null Rod in EDH. It seems like it shuts down a tremendous number of commonly played cards, and even denies certain decks their only answers (any decks relying on Oblivion Stone and Nevinyrral's Disk to deal with permanents).

Pastorofmuppets
08-22-2010, 09:31 AM
// Lands
1 Strip Mine
1 Terrain Generator
1 Wasteland
1 Dust Bowl
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Eye of Ugin
1 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
1 Khalni Garden
26 Forest

// Creatures
1 Krosan Tusker
1 Quirion Ranger
1 Terastodon
1 Avenger of Zendikar
1 Acidic Slime
1 Eternal Witness
1 Genesis
1 Lotus Cobra
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Yavimaya Elder
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Sundering Titan
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Duplicant
1 Krosan Restorer
1 Joraga Treespeaker
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 Kazandu Tuskcaller
1 Wolfbriar Elemental
1 Ulamog's Crusher
1 Pathrazer of Ulamog
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
1 Platinum Angel
1 Terra Stomper
1 Mitotic Slime
1 Primeval Titan

// Spells
1 Earthcraft
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Crystal Ball
1 Tooth and Nail
1 All Is Dust
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Planar Portal
1 Skullclamp
1 Squirrel Nest
1 Lurking Predators
1 Harmonize
1 Sol Ring
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Bear Umbra
1 Heartbeat of Spring
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Plow Under
1 Crop Rotation
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Sylvan Library
1 Abundance
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Primal Command
1 Mana Reflection
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Krosan Grip
1 Sylvan Scrying
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Exploration
1 Chord of Calling
1 Berserk
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Null Rod
1 Cultivate

1 Omnath, Locus of Mana

The deck doesn't rely on the really good artifacts in the format to the point where it would be particularly crippled, but it still makes use of them.

Malchar
08-26-2010, 07:42 PM
I would suggest trying to make something in two colors before trying three colors. If you really want to commit to the null rod strategy then it seems like using as few colors as possible would be a good idea because you'll probably be putting yourself at a bit of a disadvantage in terms of colored mana production. You could try using a general that also has to do with permission such as Gaddock Teeg, although you risk having some overlap.

RexFTW
11-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I would recommend playing null rod in a blue or black deck as these are the colors that will be able to find it the best. Also consider damping matrix and pithing needle for hosing artifacts. If you are running artifact tutors i would recommend Proteus staff (its so good just use it when you dont need rod) and other artifacts without activated abilities. Perhaps duplicant and friends. Playing other artifacts that are good reduces the chances of null rod getting hit by their artifact destruction.

If you want to accelerate your own mana without artifacts that means you would probably be using green as your second color.

The other option is just running a lot of artifact hosers in red like shattering spree, shatterstorm, rack and ruin, viashino heretic, etc etc. or not red Moldur slug, aura shards, kataki, artifact flux or basically any card from mirroden block. (the old one not the new one)

_Fe_
11-24-2010, 10:26 AM
I would run it in Augustin IV prison shell.