PDA

View Full Version : Kamahl, Pit Fighter

LostButSeeking
10-04-2010, 10:24 AM
So, I have a friend who wanted to partake of our EDH games, but doesn't have any cards. I told him to name a legend, and I'd build him a deck. He--not having played in a while, and never having played EDH--named Kamahl, Pit Fighter. Okay. Mono-red. And not Godo or Kiki-Jikki. Great.

But I eventually got REALLY into playing Kamahl. I have some other, more dedicated EDH decks--Sedris and Rafiq--but Kamahl is slightly more relaxing, because once you go into a game without the pressure of winning, all the pressure is off. Or maybe I just like shouting FIRE!!! at random intervals, or shouting "Kamahl, Consumed By Rage" (my knickname for him) "is coming for you!"

The "theme" of the deck, if you can call it that, is equipment with deathtouch. You can see all my little timmy-variants in the deck--there's a couple that aren't in here, like Viashino Lashtail and Chainflinger, but I'm pretty happy with where its at. Anyway, attaching Basilisk Collar to Kamahl or Vithian Stinger is pretty good. You can see how turning "T: 1 damage" into "T: Death" can be really helpful. Doing it twice with thousand-year elixir is even more of a party.

Once you get to the end of the deck, you'll realize that I'm running mass land destruction. Yes, I'm running obliterate. No, I don't have any way to win immediately post obliterate. Yes, this sometimes makes for a long and boring game. Yes, the card often gets pitched to Chandra Ablaze. Yes, it has won me the game, and since people are playing cards that I have no way of dealing with in my color, I feel that this is fair.

You'll also notice I have Koth, of the Hammer in here. I cracked an Elspeth Tirel at the prerelease and traded for him. I won both games where I've drawn him so far--one game, post-emblem, I even animated a mountain, equipped Gorgon's Flail to it, and killed something. Totally awesome.

Anyway, here's the deck.

General:Kamahl, Pit Fighter

Lands 36
Boseiju, who Shelters All
Wasteland
Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
32x Mountain

[0cc] 1
Everflowing Chalice

[1cc] 4
Sensei's Diving Top
Sol Ring
Mana Vault
Basilisk Collar
Shattering Spree

[2cc] 14
Iron Myr
Fire Diamond
Mindstone
Prismatic Lens
Star Compass
Splitting Earth
Fireslinger
Lightning Greaves
Magewright Stone
Gorgon Flail
Armilary Sphere
Candles of Leng
Journeyer's Kite
Shattering Pulse

[3cc] 15
Cunning Sparkmage
Vulshok Sorcerer
Thousand-year Elixir
Rings of Brighthearth
Vithian Stinger
Extraplanar Lens
Umbral Mantle
Quietus Spike
Prodigal Pyromancer
Crystal Ball
Palladium Myr
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
Blast from the Past
Whispersilk Cloak
Shunt

[4cc] 8
Jeska, Warrior Adept
Koth of the Hammer
Ricochet Trap
Wild Ricochet
Rakka Mar
Solemn Simulacrum
Aftershock

[5cc] 6
Gauntlet of Power
Kiki-jiki, Mirror Breaker
Hoarding Dragon
Chandra Nalaar
Gratuitous Violence
Kumano, Master Yamabushi

[6cc] 6
Godo, Bandit Warlord
Dreamstone Hedron
Boom//Bust
Chandra Ablaze
Planar Portal
Duplicant

[7+cc] 9
Knollspine Dragon
Insurrection
Obliterate
Myojinn of Infinite Rage
Decree Of Annihilation
Comet Storm
Rolling Thunder
Fanning the Flames
Banefire

Baumeister
10-04-2010, 11:14 AM
I like the flavor of Jeska + Kamahl. If your group plays for points, you should definitely get at least one for having both in play at the same time.

You might want to throw Furnace of Rath in. Seems like it could be fairly degenerate with all your pinging critters. Also, Vicious Shadows might be cool, except you said this is more casual(ish) and players tend to shit their pants when they see that card.

LostButSeeking
10-07-2010, 12:34 AM
So, it was drawn to my attention that Basilisk Collar + Inferno Titan does what you think it does. Yes, that. I need to include a copy somewhere.

Sims
10-08-2010, 03:41 PM
If you are using Collar plus Pingers, wouldn't Goblin Sharpshooter be your best friend? He's a Wrath on everyone elses board if he starts wearing a collar.