PDA

View Full Version : [EDH] Kemba, Kha Regent

Beware
10-25-2010, 07:42 AM
This is the list I've been steadily working on for my Kemba EDH deck. There really isn't anything tricky to it. Great amounts of protection, shroud, buffs, tutors, and equipment so you can beat face through just about any defense imaginable. I've contemplated adding some of the usual combos, but I've decided to stay focused on the actual deck as opposed to loading it with things like Stuffy Doll/Guilty Conscience or the usual Yosei silliness or Endless Horizons/Charbelcher or etc. I'm interested in any thoughts, concerns, qualms or trepidations anyone may have about the list. Any thoughts are welcome and I will not dismiss a single piece of sound, well constructed advice.

// General
Kemba, Kha Regent

// Creatures (15)
Raksha Golden Cub
Spirit of the Hearth
Stonehewer Giant
Linvala, Keeper of Silence
Indomitable Archangel
Leonin Abunas
Taj-Nar Swordsmith
Rune-Tail's Essence
Mirror Entity
Stoneforge Mystic
Leonin Shikari
Eight-and-a-Half-Tails
Mother of Runes
Ethersworn Canonist
Weathered Wayfarer

// Enchantments (9)
Land Tax
Marshal's Anthem
True Conviction
Concerted Effort
Light from Within
Glorious Anthem
Oblivion Ring
Luminarch Ascension
Honor of the Pure

// Planeswalkers (2)
Ajani Goldmane
Elspeth, Knight-Errant

// Sorceries (4)
Open the Vaults
Conqueror's Pledge
Spectral Procession
Spellshaper's Gift

// Instants (4)
Swords to Plowshares
Condemn
Path to Exile
Enlightened Tutor

// Artifacts (6)
Sol Ring
Gauntlet of Power
Extraplannar Lens
Akroma's Memorial
Smokestack
Tangle Wire

// Artifacts - Equipment (22)
Fireshrieker
Lightning Greaves
Loxodon Warhammer
Basilisk Collar
Sword of Fire and Ice
Quietus Spike
Helm of Kaldra
Mask of Memory
Magebane Armor
Whispersilk Cloak
Shield of Kaldra
Sword of Kaldra
Deathrender
Sword of Light and Shadow
Skullclamp
Sword of Vengeance
Sword of Body and Mind
Argentum Armor
Nim Deathmantle
Sigil of Distinction
Heartseeker
Scythe of the Wretched

// Lands (37)
20 Plains
Eiganjo Castle
Flagstones of Trokair
Mistveil Plains
Mystifying Maze
Windbrisk Heights
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Tectonic Edge
Urza's Tower
Urza's Power Plant
Urza's Mine
Urza's Factory
Dust Bowl
Strip Mine
Temple of the False Gods
Kor Haven
Ghost Quarter
Ancient Tomb

I'll explain at least a few of the card choices. Spirit of the Hearth is a complete house. Not only will it get Doublestrike from being a cat when Raksha is equipped, but it's a large flying creature which is absolutely vital against more evasive generals. Linvala is also a great help against these as is Akroma's Memorial. Scion of the Ur-Dragon can be a particularly frustrating. Linvala shuts down so many cards. Nim Deathmantle is awesome for sweeper recovery. Smokestack is amazing with all the tokens and Tangle Wire is amazing with all the equipment.

I feel like this deck could definitely do with some sweepers of its own as well as an Eldrazi Monument, but I'm not sure what could come out for them. The deck can be very explosive at times, has some great late-game range, can turn the tables even without a sweeper and is just generally an absolute blast to play. Things get especially silly in multiplayer games. The mana base recently underwent a pretty major overhaul, so things might not be perfect.

As I said, I'm open to any comments or thoughts, so feel free to rip the list apart. I can also explain any card choices or lack there of.

fusionshogun
11-02-2010, 08:15 AM
You should play Catastrophe. It's even a pun.

mmmetaphor
11-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Kjeldoran Outpost migh be worth a look.

Tog
11-03-2010, 04:03 PM
I think you might want to maximize the number of Plains you have in the deck to accomodate Emeria, the Sky Ruin. The card is so nuts once it gets active. You can even add Thawing Glaciers to ensure you're dropping Plains and using Expedition Map to get either. I'd suggest cutting Flagstones of Trokair, the Urzatron, Mystifying Maze (I'd assume your tapping out frequently), and Ghost Quarter for more Plains.

94teen
11-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Vesuva is insane in EVERY deck I put it in. It copies Hideaway lands, utility lands, and Thawing Glaciers for all kinds of sweet plays.

My metagame is comprised of a lot of token decks and other "fair" decks that try to win by attacking with big, non-general creatures. That makes Martyr of Sands + Nim Deathmantle pretty absurd. You're already running the Deathmantle, so I thought that was a synergy worth mentioning.

sclabman
11-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Stonehewer Giant is a freaking bomb.

edit: Oh you have it... I need to read more carefully. hahaha

Beware
11-06-2010, 01:07 AM
I love CatAstrophe and will try to get one. Seems like a pretty nifty one-sided (ish) board wipe.

Keldoran Outpost might be nice, but I do agree that I should be maximizing the number of Plains for Emeria and Strata Scythe.

Vesuva is pretty nice, I might have to try to get one.

Thawing Glaciers has always seemed just a little too slow to me. It's solid, but slow.

Martyr of Sands is pretty nice with Deathmantle, but I rarely find I have enough white cards in hand to make it profitable. It seems like it would dilute the deck for a pretty lackluster combo.

I'm dropping the Mistifying Maze, Ghost Quarter, Ancient Tombs and (probably) Tron for more Plains. I'm also adding Tithe and a small handful of cards with which I will update the OP tomorrow.

fusionshogun
11-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Konda's Banner is pretty cool if you want to take a more aggressive approach with Kemba.

Beware
11-06-2010, 05:31 PM
I tried Konda's Banner and REALLY wanted it to work, but it's far too unreliable and just doesn't get there often enough.

Anyways, here's the new list:

// General
Kemba, Kha Regent

// Creatures (19)
Raksha Golden Cub
Spirit of the Hearth
Stonehewer Giant
Linvala, Keeper of Silence
Indomitable Archangel
Leonin Abunas
Taj-Nar Swordsmith
Rune-Tail's Essence
Mirror Entity
Stoneforge Mystic
Leonin Shikari
Eight-and-a-Half-Tails
Mother of Runes
Ethersworn Canonist
Weathered Wayfarer
Academy Rector
Karmic Guide
Reveillark
Etched Champion

// Enchantments (7)
Marshal's Anthem
True Conviction
Glorious Anthem
Oblivion Ring
Honor of the Pure
Aura of Silence
Ghostly Prison

// Planeswalkers (2)
Ajani Goldmane
Elspeth, Knight-Errant

// Sorceries (3)
Spellshaper's Gift
Idyllic Tutor
Austere Command

// Instants (5)
Swords to Plowshares
Condemn
Path to Exile
Enlightened Tutor
Tithe

// Artifacts (5)
Sol Ring
Gauntlet of Power
Extraplannar Lens
Akroma's Memorial
Tangle Wire

// Artifacts - Equipment (20)
Lightning Greaves
Loxodon Warhammer
Basilisk Collar
Sword of Fire and Ice
Quietus Spike
Helm of Kaldra
Mask of Memory
Magebane Armor
Whispersilk Cloak
Shield of Kaldra
Sword of Kaldra
Deathrender
Sword of Light and Shadow
Skullclamp
Sword of Vengeance
Sword of Body and Mind
Argentum Armor
Nim Deathmantle
Sigil of Distinction
Scythe of the Wretched

// Lands (38)
24 Plains
Eiganjo Castle
Flagstones of Trokair
Mistveil Plains
Windbrisk Heights
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Tectonic Edge
Urza's Tower
Urza's Power Plant
Urza's Mine
Urza's Factory
Dust Bowl
Strip Mine
Temple of the False Gods
Kor Haven

I want Land Tax back, but I'm not sure what to cut. I'd also like Fireshrieker and Scroll Rack, but I still suffer the same problem.

TheArchitect
11-10-2010, 10:01 PM
One trick that works great in any mono colored EDH decks is to run Snow basic lands. That why only YOU benefit from Gauntlet of Power and Extraplannar Lens.

Definitely get land tax back in there, I'd say take that over Tithe.

I'd cut Sigil of Distinction. I don't see that being anywhere near as good as fireshrieker.

Tog
11-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Magebane Armor seems terrible! The noncombat damage clause is pretty irrelevant since none of your creatures are likely to get burned out.

What order do you tutor for enchantments off Idyllic Tutor and Academy Rector? Aren't there any better targets than the ones you're using - they just seem so underwhelming in comparison to some other cool enchantments in the game. Also, Endless Horizons does a good impression of Land Tax. Think of it as a Dark Confidant for a land every turn and you don't even need to remove all the plains in your deck. It just makes sure you're hitting your land drops. Also, I just realized you don't have a Solemn Simulacrum in your deck. Fix that!

Beware
11-11-2010, 12:12 PM
One trick that works great in any mono colored EDH decks is to run Snow basic lands. That why only YOU benefit from Gauntlet of Power and Extraplannar Lens.

Definitely get land tax back in there, I'd say take that over Tithe.

I'd cut Sigil of Distinction. I don't see that being anywhere near as good as fireshrieker.

Believe me, I know the "trick" with Extraplannar Lens. As does every single human being who knows what Extraplannar Lens does. Almost every EDH deck runs Snow Covered Lands so that "tech" is made moot. By running non Snow Covered Lands, I'm actually the one who will benefit.

Land Tax is back in for Glorious Anthem, Fireshrieker is in for Sigil.

Magebane is fine, Endless Horizons is a card I've often considered and decided Land Tax is better. Honor of the Pure is the only Enchantment I wouldn't want to tutor and I'm pulling it regardless. Solemn Simulacrum is not a card I would ever be happy to see. If I have 4 mana, I'm already in pretty good shape. It only tutors for a basic land which doesn't interest me that much and is only good if I plan to recur it and Reveillark an awful lot (which I don't). If I'm going to recur something, it's going to be a card that can actually win me the game, not some marginal fixing when I'm already running Weathered Wayfarer and Land Tax (with Tutors).

Academy Rector will almost always grab True Conviction and Idyllic Tutor can grab just about anything and I'll be happy with it.

I'm not sure if I should have some more Artifact mana sources. I can't decide if I prefer more artifact sources or more lands (though I know more artifact sources is generally the rule for EDH). If I were to add more, then I'd have to cut colorless lands and the only lands I would even feel comfortable removing are the Tron lands.

EDIT: So I need to gear this up for a multiplayer tournament. I've put Luminarch Ascension in the deck and I'm adding Catastrophe, All is Dust and Eldrazi Monument. I need some suggestions for card that need to be added and removed to gear up for the multiplayer tournament.

Benjammn
11-21-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure if I should have some more Artifact mana sources. I can't decide if I prefer more artifact sources or more lands (though I know more artifact sources is generally the rule for EDH). If I were to add more, then I'd have to cut colorless lands and the only lands I would even feel comfortable removing are the Tron lands.

EDIT: So I need to gear this up for a multiplayer tournament. I've put Luminarch Ascension in the deck and I'm adding Catastrophe, All is Dust and Eldrazi Monument. I need some suggestions for card that need to be added and removed to gear up for the multiplayer tournament.

This is the conclusion I've come up with. My Kemba list has a much lower curve and is more white-weenie-esque (running more cheaper equipment, cheaper creatures etc) and I found I still need the fast mana. I'm thinking of adding Mana Vault and possibly Thran Powerstone with my Gauntlet, Sol Ring, and Marble Diamond.

I also suggest Glory. Between it having flying to connect with equipment and a baller in-graveyard ability to push through, it is worth it. Also, depending on how douche you want to be, run Serra Ascendant (and Ranger of Eos to find it and Mother of Runes). :tongue:

Here is my current list for reference:

// Lands
X Plains
1 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
1 Kor Haven

// Creatures
1 Kemba, Kha Regent
1 Kor Duelist
1 Serra Ascendant
1 Mother of Runes
1 Student of Warfare
1 Eight-and-a-Half Tails
1 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Auriok Steelshaper
1 Leonin Arbiter
1 Leonin Shikari
1 Knight of the White Orchid
1 Mirror Entity
1 Ranger of Eos
1 Leonin Abunas
1 Taj-Nar Swordsmith
1 Seht's Tiger
1 Glory
1 Stonehewer Giant
1 Felidar Sovereign
1 Sun Titan
1 Spirit of the Hearth
1 Eternal Dragon
1 Raksha Golden Cub

// Equipment
1 Spidersilk Net
1 Bone Saw
1 Sigil of Distinction
1 Shuko
1 Explorer's Scope
1 Basilisk Collar
1 Bonesplitter
1 Darksteel Axe
1 Skullclamp
1 Bladed Pinions
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Nim Deathmantle
1 Konda's Banner
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Sword of Body and Mind
1 Whispersilk Cloak
1 Sword of Vengeance
1 Shield of Kaldra

// Artifacts
1 Sol Ring
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Marble Diamond
1 Gauntlet of Power

// Enchants
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Honor of the Pure
1 Marshal's Anthem
1 Glorious Anthem
1 Shared Triumph
1 Land Tax
1 Crusade

// Planeswalkers
1 Ajani Goldmane
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

// Sorceries/Instants
1 Brave the Elements
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Steelshaper's Gift
1 Path to Exile
1 Condemn
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Open the Vaults
1 Disenchant
1 Revoke Existence
1 Harsh Mercy

Not fully optimized as it is my second EDH deck that is currently in construction, but there are some cards including the ones I mentioned that should give you ideas. After playing with the deck some, I had a severe dislike for the equipments with a high equip cost, but that's just me.

fusionshogun
11-21-2010, 04:45 PM
How could I forget to recommend CatAclysm! That's pretty strong in Kemba.

Beware
11-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Cheap Equipment != Good Equipment. So many of your choices so terrible when there's such a plethora of amazing options. I wrote up an alphabetical analysis of every equipment available to us.

Accorder's Shield - Shield is nice because it comes down for free and gives Vigilence. I don't believe it to be worth the slot nor the equip cost since it only boosts toughness and there are far better equipment that could be coming down for 3 mana total.

Adventuring Gear - Playing a mono-colored deck means there is very little need for mana fixing such as fetchlands. If you felt compelled to run 10 fetchlands anyways, then this is a pretty solid, cheap equipment. Otherwise, it's just a blank equipment for Kemba.

Argentum Armor - An absolute house. One half of an Eldrazi Concription, reusable, targetted destruction of whatever you want. Very expensive to play and equip, but it's possible to cheat into play/equip.

Banshee's Blade - Giving only a marginal buff, this card just doesn't do enough. Were it a little cheaper, then maybe, but, generally speaking, simple buffs are just not good enough when you could be running much more exciting equipment.

Barbed Battlegear - Again, a card that does nothing but give a small buff for too much mana. Things like Umezawa's Jitte set the bar pretty darn high so things like this just do not measure up.

Basilisk Collar - I don't really think I need to explain the usefulness of Lifelink and Deathtouch on any creature you want for 2 mana. An auto-include if there ever was one. If you aren't running this in an Equipment deck, you're making a HUGE mistake.

Blade of the Bloodchief - Another excellent, cheap equipment. While it only offers "buffs," it does so in a very permanent manner at a very efficient price. In Ashling, the Pilgrim EDH decks it's an auto-include, in anything else you need to evaluate how consistently you can get multiple creatures into the graveyard.

Bladed Pinions - Very few equipment give Flying. Even few do it this efficiently. A deck like Kemba can easily be beaten down by dragon based EDH decks and something like Bladed Pinions can give you a fight chance. I feel there are a lot of better options than a flying equipment, but this is playable if you need to improve the Scion of the Ur-Dragon matchup.

Blazing Torch - Incredibly narrow with an effect that will do absolutely nothing in a format about 40 life and huge beatsticks. Even for the cost it isn't worth wasting a slot.

Blight Sickle - This card just isn't efficient or effective enough to really get the job done. If you find your creatures generally getting outclassed by other decks in your playgroup, this can be a decent equalizer, otherwise, pass.

Blinding Powder - Such an odd equipment. If you want to go a slower, more control route, this card could be decent. A free fog whenever you want can be pretty effective. I wouldn't run it, but I can see its purpose.

Bone Saw - Does absolutely nothing. A waste of a slot and a waste of [mana]1[/mana[.

Bonesplitter - Another cheap equipment that does nothing but offer a marginal buff. We still have tons of options, no reason to pad our decks with these sorts of things.

Cloak and Dagger - This card is almost Whispersilk Cloak #2. Good enough without rogues, great with them. I still say there are more exciting cards with which we could play though.

Cranial Plating - This card would be an absolutely house! Too bad it has black in the text box. Ah well, moving on...

Darksteel Axe - A better Bonesplitter. Still not worth it for such a marginal power boost though.

Dead-Iron Sledge - KAMIKAZEEEEEEEEEE! If you really need an answer to some shrouded beater...

Deathrender - Helps you stabilize after a sweeper better than most, makes it so an opponent just cannot block profitably, will generally equip for free. Seems like a win-win-win situation to me. Auto-include.

Diviner's Wand - Another card that helps the flying situation and can give you some much needed card draw. It's all a little pricey, but playable.

Echo Circlet - Cheap, but blocking one additional creature per turn won't generally have any bearing on the match. Either you want to be blocking one in particular or a huge army.

Empyrial Plate - This is a card I tried pretty heavily. If you have some consistent source of card draw, then this is an amazing card. Without it, it just kind of fizzles most of the time. Consider it.

Ensouled Scimitar - Marginal buff, hilarious but pointless ability.

Explorer's Scope - Cheap and can really help you hit your land drops consistently. Definitely worth considering and one of the best accelerants/draw smoothers we have.

Fireshrieker - Reusable Double Strike for 2 seems like a good deal to me. Better than every other buff available and not much more expensive.

General's Kabuto - Great for when you are on the uber offensive or defensive. In between, it can be a little unfulfilling though. Worth considering.

Golem-Skin Gauntlets - It is cheap, but we don't want to have all our eggs in the same basket. IF you want to focus more on equipment Kemba for all she's worth and throwing her out there, then this is worth considering. Otherwise it's too marginal a buff (and remember, we dont like marginal buffs).

Gorgon Flail - Not as efficient as Basilisk Collar, but still pretty excellent. Definitely consider.

Grafted Excoskeleton - I'm not going to delve into why it's a bad idea to attack your opponents life from two angles (effectively making their life total 50), so I'll just say infect is really bad in a deck that isn't rooted in Infect.

Grafted Wargear - This could be fun. IF you need a way to consistently trigger Blade of the BLoodchief or some kind of graveyard based combos, this would be excellent. Otherwise, it's a little too narrow for just a buff.

Grappling Hook - I believe Fireshrieker to be strictly better than Grappling Hook, but that's not to say Hook is terrible. Run it if you can't get a Fireshrieker, consider it otherwise.

Grifter's Blade - Marginal buff, the flash ability will mostly be pointless.

Hammer of Ruin - When you REALLY want to destroy that opposing Umezawa's Jitte... Strictly a Sideboard card.

Hankyu - If the equip cost wasn't so high, this could be nifty. As is, it's just too painfully slow.

Healer's Headdress - Only a marginal damage reduction, but can be boss lategame if you run a token subtheme. Situational, but worth considering.

Heartseeker - I love this card to pieces, but I think it might be just way too slow. If the equipment cost were 1 cheaper, then maybe, but as is it just wont get there.

Heavy Arbalest - Expensive and slow. If you have some kind of combo to infinitely untap the creature then maybe, even then, still too slow and unreliable.

Hedron Matrix - This cards value fluxuates with how you build the deck. If you have a lot of high CMC cards on which you wish to focus, then sure. I feel Kemba should have a fairly low curve though. In that case this is WAY too expensive for a marginal buff.

Helm of Kaldra - The Kaldra Equipment is all just too good to not include in an equipment based EDH deck. With proper Tutors you can even end up playing Kaldra!

Horned Helm - Pretty excellent considering the cost, too bad there's green in that text box...

Infiltration Lens - One half of a Whispersilk Cloak. That's pretty good for 1 mana. Not an auto-include, but still pretty powerful (though not Skullclamp 2.0 as many people like to think).

Kitesail - Another of the few flying equipment. Pretty mediocre all around, but gives a creature flying to help against evasive generals.

Konda's Banner - Excellent if you want a more tribal style deck. Otherwise it just isn't reliable enough to have any real presence.

Kusari-Gama - This is really just another psuedo-unblockable. It's not the worst equipment in the world, but you might be better off with some real protection for the CMC. Test it.

Leering Eblem - This is a deck that does most of its stuff during the main phases. As such, the value of this card is drastically reduced. Maybe in a more reactive build it could be useful, but Kemba is not the best general if you want a more reactive build.

Leonin Bola - A slow, equipment version of that white card they've printed a million times. I suppose it isn't terrible, but I wouldn't bother unless you have some VERY general dependent decks in your meta.

Leonin Scimitar - Cheap for a marginal buff. You know the drill.

Lightning Greaves - Like the best equipment, period. Auto-include in almost every EDH list, you'd have to be mentally infirm to not want this in your Kemba deck. Worst case scenario, it eats the Oblivion Ring that would have been used on Argentum Armor.

Livewire Lash - Not a bad card, not too terribly costed. A little narrow considering EDH is a format loaded with sweepers much more so than spot removal though.

Loxodon Warhammer - Another AMAZING equipment. Auto-include, I don't think I need to explain why +3/+0, trample, lifelink is awesome for 3.

Magebane Armor - A pretty great card if you have a lot of burn or an Ashling, the Pilgrim in your meta. Otherwise, it's just a basic buff.

Manaforce Mace - We are mono-white. Good luck with that Domain.

Manriki-Gusari - Slightly better than Hammer of Ruin.

Mask of Memory - Not only is it a cheap, early equipment, but it's card draw/advantage. Really, really great.

Neko-Te - It super-taps something and gives you an extra 1 point of damage. Deathtouch and Lifelink seem WAY better to me.

Nemesis Mask - Turn everything into a Prized Unicorn! Narrow, expensive, unexciting, but could be useful in a token sub-themed deck.

Neurok Hoversail - Same as the other Flying equipment. Cheap, unexciting, gets the job done in a pinch.

Neurok Stealthsuit - Excellent card... Blue in the text box. Why are these all so good except the white one?!

Nightmare LAsh - We definitely have a lot of Swamps in this deck.

Nim Deathmantle - I like this card, but it is only when a creature goes to YOUR graveyard and most of the time, you will be tapping out during your main phase. In a more reactive build it would be nuts.

No-Dachi - Marginal buff.

O-Naginata - Marginal, situational buff.

Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho - Would be great if we had a bunch of Samurais!

Obsidian Battle-Axe - Would be great if we had a bunch of Warriors! Otherwise it's WAY too expensive for a marginal buff and haste, especially when Lightning Greaves gives haste for 0.

Ogre's Cleaver - Too expensive for nothing but a basic buff.

Opaline Bracers - Sunburst is almost as useful as Domain.

Paradise Mantle - What? Your mono-white deck DOESN'T need more Birds of Paradise?

Pariah's Shield - Great with cards like Stuffy Doll, Cho Manno or anything with General's Kabuto.

Pennon Blade - Expensive, but decent with a token sub-theme.

Peregrine Mask - How do we expect to win if we give everything Defender?

Quietus Spike - More Deathtouch is always good and this card would honestly not be playable without it. It's pretty great on paper, but doesn't quite work out as well as I would prefer. Still worth considering.

Rakdos Riteknife - Freakin' colored abilities.

Razor Boomerang - I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

Ronin Warclub - Marginal buff, even when it's free.

Runed Stalactite - Not terrible for tribal if you have some kind of very strong synergy and a handful of non-tribal cards (Raksha Golen Cub, for instance). It's a cheap equipment if nothing else.

Scythe of the Wretched - I like this card a lot. More psuedo-unblockable with the pay off for being blocked being significantly better than the other psuedo-unblockable equipment.

Shield of Kaldra - Another piece of Kaldra. Excellent. If you aren't running all three, this could be cut (but why would you not run all three???).

Shuko - Marginal buff.

Shuriken - I don't know about you, but I don't like giving my equipment away.

Sigil of Distinction - Being able to choose how significant the buff is, how early it comes down and being able to equip for free is pretty significant. It is still just a buff equipment, even if it is one of the best. Don't dismiss it, but don't try to squeeze it into your list.

Skullclamp - A card that will forever live in infamy. It's cheap, it comes down early and it can generate massive card advantage with a token subtheme. Even without the token subtheme, it's worth consideration.

Slagwurm Armor - This card won't help us win any.

Sparring Collar - Curse you Red.

Specter's Shroud - Turn your everything into Hyppie. Better for more reactive/controlling builds.

Spellbinder - This card is awesome, but I wouldn't run it in anything without at least 10 instants that I would like to cast every turn. Perhaps for more reactive builds.

Spidersilk Net - Another card to fix the Flying issue. Probably the most efficient of them at it as well. Card definitely won't help us win faster though.

Strata Scythe - A late-game bomb. You make an investment in this equipment and it just keeps paying you back the longer the game continues. Gets significantly more valuable if you are running accerlants like Weathered Wayfarer, Tithe, or Land Tax.

Strider Harness - A bad Lightning Greaves.

Sunforger - Gah, so close!

Surestrike Trident - Too expensive, but could be useful in a deck that revolves around larger creatures.

Sword of Body and Mind - You might get caught setting up a Reanimation deck by accident with this, but all three Swords are auto-includes in every equipment list, point blank. Cheap, relevant protection, decent buff, excellent triggered abilities.

Sword of Fire and Ice - Auto-include.

Sword of Kaldra - My favorite of the 3. Another auto-include.

Sword of Light and Shadow - Auto-include.

Sword of Vengeance - Give you creatures almost every relevant keyword with a single equipment? Seems pretty awesome to me.

Sword of the Meek - I suppose there maybe a combo with this in a token subtheme, but its just worthless without Thopter Foundry. Don't Bother.

Sword of the Paruns - This card would be awesome if the abilities were reversed. As is, it's just solid and worth a consideration instead of an auto-include. Another card that's better with a token subtheme.

Sylvok Lifestaff - Marginal buff, marginal life gain.

Tatsumasa, the Dragon's Fang - Expensive and slow, but gives a significant buff and can dodge removal. If you tap out all the time during your main phase, don't bother with this one, reactive builds should take note, however.

Tenza, Godo's Maul - Auto-include if we were playing Godo or Ashling.

Thornbite Staff - Plays nice with Basilisk Collar, but it's far too slow to really consider.

Trailblazer's Boots - Not terrible, actually. Most EDH decks are LOADED with nonbasic lands. Definitely great for decks that try to focus on pushing Kemba through for 21 points of general damage.

Trusty Machete - Strictly worse than Darksteel Axe and that card isn't playable either.

Umbral Mantle - This card is best suited for infinite mana combos, it's only a marginal buff otherwise.

Umezawa's Jitte - Excellent card. Not quite the unbelievable auto-include a lot of people believe it to be, but still awesome and I would run it in a heartbeat.

Veteran's Armaments - Another card that is mediocre in a normal build, but almost an auto-include in lists with a token subtheme.

Viridian Longbow - Plays nice with Basilisk Collar, but is too slow to actually make a dent in an opposing army.

Vorrac Battlehorns - Really excellent for decks that will focus on General damage. Worth considering for any other list too.

Vulshok Battlegear - Marginal buff.

Vulshok Gauntlets - Marginal buff, immensely slow.

Vulshok Morningstar - Marginal buff. 3 for 3 on those Vulshok equipment.

Warlord's Axe - Marginal buff, really slow.

Warmonger's Chariot - All your walls will be beastly!

Whispersilk Cloak - One of the best. Auto-include in most non-equipment EDH decks! Run it.

Worldslayer - This is a card behind which I just cannot get. In more Kemba 21 damage focused decks, I could see the purpose. Otherwise you're just shooting yourself in the foot every turn. Eldrazi Monument and Elspeth can remedy that, but this is 100 card singleton.

Marginal buffs are TERRIBLE for equipment. White has so many great global buffs, why would you waste your time with +1/+0 for one creature???

One thing I will say that I did not in the analysis is about Umezawa's Jitte: I'm finding that it's a 2 CMC "Destroy target Umezawa's Jitte." Not only that, but it will generally open a third play up to the opportunity of laying down his own Jitte.

I brought a significantly different list to a tourney at my LGS, will post soon.

Benjammn
11-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Like I said, my list isn't optimized, but white has very little in terms of ramp/card drawing that allows us to consistently play lands each turn. Basically, Kemba is at it's worst when you can't immediately get her cat engine going. Playing a bunch of 4 and 5 equip cost things basically ensures that never happens. I dunno, when I had the full Kaldra set, Argentum Armor, etc. etc., it either stuck in my hand since I was mana-screwed or when I got Wrathed (or even worse, Pernicious Deed-ed....hate that damn card) it was too slow to get back into the game.

Shield of Kaldra - Another piece of Kaldra. Excellent. If you aren't running all three, this could be cut (but why would you not run all three???).
Really? Considering Austere Command is the worst thing for this deck, an equipment that dodges both mass creature removal and (most) artifact removal is bad? I even run in my mono-green deck because of this reason.

Beware
11-22-2010, 08:20 PM
I said it wasn't as good for this deck as the others. It's still leagues ahead of most of the equipment available. Also, that I would never think about running one without the others.