PDA

View Full Version : Omnath-Eldrazi

nodahero
12-07-2010, 10:30 AM
This is a list I have just put together recently for our EDH group. I am interested in making the deck as good as it can possibly be. My primary game plan is to ramp into the 3 large Eldrazi and allow them to do their thing although Omnath has proven to be a solid back up plan.

The list
UPDATED on 12/8/2010
// Lands
1 [REW] Wasteland
1 [WL] Winding Canyons
1 [ZEN] Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
1 [ON] Tranquil Thicket
1 [US] Slippery Karst
1 [AQ] Strip Mine (3)
1 [US] Gaea's Cradle
1 [ON] Wooded Foothills
1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
1 [ROE] Eldrazi Temple
21 [U] Snow-covered Forest
1 [] Jungle Basin
1 [] Deserted Temple
1 [ON] Windswept Heath

// Creatures
1 [IA] Fyndhorn Elves
1 Llanowar Elves
1 [ALA] Drumhunter
1 [ALA] Keeper of Progenitus
1 [BOK] Patron of the Orochi
1 [EVG] Wood Elves
1 [10E] Civic Wayfinder
1 [UD] Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
1 [WWK] Mold Shambler
1 [ZEN] Nissa's Chosen
1 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker
1 [ROE] Ondu Giant
1 [M11] Acidic Slime
1 [WWK] Terastodon
1 [ROE] Joraga Treespeaker
1 [WWK] Arbor Elf
1 [ROE] Mul Daya Channelers
1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 [IN] Thicket Elemental
1 [FUT] Magus of the Vineyard
1 [UD] Yavimaya Elder
1 [SHM] Farhaven Elf
1 [CHK] Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 [SHM] Woodfall Primus
1 [MR] Duplicant
1[] Primeval Titan

// Spells
1 [IA] Nature's Lore
1 [TE] Eladamri's Vineyard
1 [TSP] Gauntlet of Power
1 [ROE] Dreamstone Hedron
1 [P3] Three Visits
1 [WWK] Nissa Revane
1 [] Extraplanar Lens
1 [5E] Nevinyrral's Disk
1 [JGC] Regrowth
1 [M11] Cultivate
1 [ZEN] Khalni Heart Expedition
1 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice
1 [ROE] Growth Spasm
1 [] Tooth and Nail
1 [] Skyshroud Claim
1 [TSP] Wurmcalling
1 [MR] Mind's Eye
1 [TSP] Candles of Leng
1 [WWK] Expedition Map
1 [PLC] Harmonize
1 [RAV] Life from the Loam
1 [4E] Mana Vault
1 [ROE] Realms Uncharted
1 [6E] Worldly Tutor
1 [B] Sol Ring
1 [IN] Harrow
1 [] Far Wanderings
1 [6E] Rampant Growth
1 [ON] Explosive Vegetation
1 [CHK] Kodama's Reach
1 [8E] Planar Portal
1 [] Rude Awakening
1 [DS] Reap and Sow
1 [10E] Creeping Mold
1 [TSP] Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
1 [8E] Plow Under
1 [LRW] Primal Command

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [WWK] Omnath, Locus of Mana

TENTATIVE OPTIONS
Vernal Bloom
Lurking Predators
Sylvan Library
Mirri’s Guile
Beacon of creation
Illuminated folio
Rude Awakening
Citanual flute
Birds of Paradise
Solemn Simulacrum
Drum hunter
Krosan Tusker
Temporal aperture
Rites of Floruishing

My current record with the deck is 14 and 5 after MWS testing... 2 of my losses were to openings involving Sol Ring into Manavault into busted...

After testing I have come to the agreement that most of the mana artifacts were useless. Those that have earned there keep for now at least simply have a large enough potential impact that until I find better options will remain. Kite, Wayfarer's Bauble, and Mindstone simply lacked impact or there were more efficient variations. Such as Three Visits versus Wayfarer's Bauble.

PS I went to an EDH event today with the following list...

[B]1 Drops
Veteran Explorer
Mirri's Guile
Magus of the Vineyard
Fyndlhorn Elves
Skullclamp
Spore Frog
Expedition Map
Arbor Elf
Birds of Paradise
Llanowar Elves
Joraga Treespeaker
Sol Ring
2 Drops
Life From the Loam
Three Visits
Rampant Growth
Priest of Titania
Regrowth
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Virdian Zealot
Nissa's Choosen
Survival of the Fittest
Candle's of Leng
Fauna Shaman
Khalni Heart Expedition
3 Drops
Elevish Archdruid
Rites of Flourishing
Sylvok Replica
Viridian Shaman
Cultivate
Kodama's Reach
Farhaven Elf
Chord of Calling
Growth Spasm
Yavimaya Dryad
Harrow
Civic Wayfinder
Eternal Witness
Genesis Wave
4 Drops
Reap and Sow
Harmonize
Slice in Twain
Natural Order
Nevinyrl's Disk
Mold Shambler
Masked Admirers
Oracle of Mul Daya
Nissa Revane
Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
5 Drops
Acidic Slime
Mind's Eye
6 Drops
Collective Unconscious
Primeval Titan
Duplicant
Steel Hellkite
Planar Portal
7 Drops
Regal Force
Avenger of Zendikar
8 Drops
Woodfall Primus
Terastodon
9 Plus Drops
Artisan of Kozilek
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Throughout the course of the days main event and the few duels I played it became obvious that Fauna Shaman, Candles of Leng, Planar Portal, and Mind's Eye simply don't pull there weight in the deck.

I think the aforementioned cards fail to pull there weight in this version due to the increase in card advantage as suggested by TheArchitect.

I left in the Nissa Package for two reasons. The first reason I left it in is because of the added defensive capability by having a recursive blocker and also secondly because her ultimate ability can single handily win me the game with the sudden burst in mana it gives me.

rockout
12-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Survival and genesis are amazing. I'm also shocked you aren't running greater good. Greater good + survival + emrakul + omnath means you can take infinite turns.

Jeff Kruchkow
12-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Survival and genesis are amazing. I'm also shocked you aren't running greater good. Greater good + survival + emrakul + omnath means you can take infinite turns.

Not actually. Unless by Greater Good you mean Food Chain.

94teen
12-07-2010, 12:36 PM
No, he means greater good.

1) Cast Emrakul
2) Take extra turn, beat down
3) Sac to Greater good
4) Emrakul + Graveyard Shuffles in
5) Tutor up emrakul with Survival
6) Repeat

Depending on whether this is for multiplayer or 1v1, I'd think about cutting man elves for ramp spells like Rampant Growth and the like. Ondu Giant, Nissa, and Nissa's Chosen can probably get cut, I would think.

Here are some things I think are basically auto-includes:

Deserted Temple (for Cradle)
Crop Rotation (Also for Cradle)
Mosswort Bridge
Thawing Glaciers
Vesuva - for mosswort bridge/Deserted Temple/Thawing Glaciers

So, thawing glaciers is actually really, really good with Deserted Temple and/or Garruk Wildspeaker. It turns into a "free" ramp spell every single turn, and makes it easier to recover from armageddons as long as you aren't greedy. It's a little slow, even with your combo pieces, but it's consistent, and has been pretty good in most of my decks running it.

Hall of the Bandit Lord
Lightning Greaves

Both of these give eldrazi/Omnath haste, which is absurdly unfair most of the time.

Sylvan Library Definitely makes the cut. If you feel like being aggressive, it can just be a phyrexian arena-style card, otherwise it's awesome card selection.

nodahero
12-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Any suggestions what to cut for Greater Good and Survival? Should I perhaps add in Fauna Shaman and his trusty sidekick Quirion Ranger?

rockout
12-07-2010, 03:50 PM
I run food chain as well but yes I did mean greater good as a sac outlet. I don't want to remove my emrakul from the game for any reason.

TheArchitect
12-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Card tags:

This is a list I have just put together recently for our EDH group. I am interested in making the deck as good as it can possibly be. My primary game plan is to ramp into the 3 large Eldrazi and allow them to do their thing although Omnath has proven to be a solid back up plan.

The list

// Lands
1 [REW] Wasteland
1 [WL] Winding Canyons
1 [ZEN] Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
1 [ON] Tranquil Thicket
1 [US] Blasted Landscape
1 [AQ] Strip Mine (3)
1 [US] Gaea's Cradle
1 [ON] Wooded Foothills
1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
1 [ROE] Eldrazi Temple
23 [U] Forest (1)
1 [ON] Windswept Heath

// Creatures
1 [IA] Fyndhorn Elves
1 [B] Llanowar Elves
1 [ALA] Drumhunter
1 [ALA] Keeper of Progenitus
1 [BOK] Patron of the Orochi
1 [EVG] Wood Elves
1 [10E] Civic Wayfinder
1 [UD] Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
1 [WWK] Mold Shambler
1 [ZEN] Nissa's Chosen
1 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker
1 [ROE] Ondu Giant
1 [M11] Acidic Slime
1 [WWK] Terastodon
1 [ROE] Joraga Treespeaker
1 [WWK] Arbor Elf
1 [ROE] Mul Daya Channelers
1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 [IN] Thicket Elemental
1 [FUT] Magus of the Vineyard
1 [UD] Yavimaya Elder
1 [SHM] Farhaven Elf
1 [CHK] Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 [SHM] Woodfall Primus
1 [MR] Duplicant

// Spells
1 [IA] Nature's Lore
1 [TE] Eladamri's Vineyard
1 [TSP] Gauntlet of Power
1 [ROE] Dreamstone Hedron
1 [P3] Three Visits
1 [WWK] Nissa Revane
1 [ALA] Minion Reflector
1 [5E] Nevinyrral's Disk
1 [JGC] Regrowth
1 [M11] Cultivate
1 [ZEN] Khalni Heart Expedition
1 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice
1 [ROE] Growth Spasm
1 [CHK] Journeyer's Kite
1 [WWK] Eternity Vessel
1 [TSP] Wurmcalling
1 [MR] Mind's Eye
1 [TSP] Candles of Leng
1 [WWK] Expedition Map
1 [PLC] Harmonize
1 [RAV] Life from the Loam
1 [4E] Mana Vault
1 [ROE] Realms Uncharted
1 [6E] Worldly Tutor
1 [B] Sol Ring
1 [IN] Harrow
1 [DD2] Mind Stone
1 [CFX] Armillary Sphere
1 [6E] Rampant Growth
1 [ON] Explosive Vegetation
1 [CHK] Kodama's Reach
1 [8E] Planar Portal
1 [FD] Wayfarer's Bauble
1 [DS] Reap and Sow
1 [10E] Creeping Mold
1 [TSP] Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
1 [8E] Plow Under
1 [LRW] Primal Command

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [WWK] Omnath, Locus of Mana

At the moment I am debating cutting the Blasted Landscape and the Journeyer's Kite. Neither of them has been at all relevant.

Here was a list of cards that I though may prove good in the deck. Any ideas or comments?
Civic wayfinder
Garruk
Rofellos
Wood elves
Ghost quarter
Oran-rief of the vastwood
Maze of ith
Seedborn muse
Patron of Orochi
Eladrmi’s vineyard
Keeper of Progenitus
Gauntlet of power
Gaea’s cradle
Winding Canyons
Veteran explorer
Three Wishes
Vernal Bloom
Lurking Predators
Sylvan Library
Mirri’s Guile
Beacon of creation
Far wanderings
Illuminated folio
Rude Awakening
Citanual flute
Primeval Titam
Jungle Basin
Birds of Paradise
Solemn Simulacrum
Drum hunter
Krosan Tusker
Tooth and Nail
Temporal aperture
Rites of Floruishing

Seedborn muse and Quest for renewal seem like they would be retardly broken in this deck, and Tooth and nail too. Nature's will and/orBear Umbra would be pretty useful too.

Also, you could get all snow-forest and have Extraplanar Lens.

I'd take out Keeper of Progenitus. The advantage he gives your opponents just isn't really worth it. (unless your in a group were everyone does Blue and/or black).

Also the artifact land fetches (Journeyer's Kite, Wayfarer's bauble, Armillary Sphere, Expedition Map) are really slow compared to what mono green has in its arsenal. Sylvan Scrying, Overgrowth and Wild Growth for example.

You also have a fair amount of elves, Priest of Titania and Elvish Archdruid would be worth playing even with just one other elf in play, and with 3+ elves in play the just get ridiculous.

I also second the suggestion of crop rotation for the cradle. The survial/greater good combo seems a little overkill. I think a turn 5 Emrukul would be all you need, instead of wasting time getting the other 2 combo pieces in place. Survival (and fauna shaman) would still be great in the deck though.

nodahero
12-07-2010, 05:25 PM
and this is why I love the Source... I knew I was forgetting some rather obvious cards. Journeyrs Kite is now Sylvan Scrying.

I also really like the Lens idea and also the mana elves... What to cut for them... and also what to cut for the mini survival package...

TheArchitect
12-07-2010, 05:53 PM
This seems like a fun deck, I considering making something like it a while ago.

Things to cut if you need ideas:

I'd cut Minion Reflector, I can't really see it being much use since the only things worth copying are legendary, unless I'm missing something.

I'd also cut the other ramping artifacts (dreamstone hedron, mind stone, etc) they are great in any deck deck that doesn't have green but green can just do so much better. However, Sol ring is defiantly still worth it. They also only make colorless which doesn't have synergy with Omnath.

Creeping Mold, Reap and Sow, Mwonvuli Acid-Moss, Plow Under seem kinda meh for their cost especially in a multiplayer format. Although Krosan grip would be nice.

Adding Soul's majesty might be worth consideration since you will usually have something with 3+ power in play to target.

rockout
12-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Wow soul's majesty is amazing. I will be picking one of those up tomorrow.

nodahero
12-08-2010, 11:14 AM
The list has been updated. The current list is in the opening post.

It has become evident to me that my list is currently set for 1v1 battles and that the multiplayer version would need to be reworked. What are everyone's thoughts on keeping it 1v1 versus multiplayer?

I will likely end up working on a 1v1 variant as well as a multiplayer variant but what would we rather work on here? It seems like most lists on here (The Source) are aimed at 1v1...

I really like the idea of playing soul's majesty but so far it seems like win more. I have never had a fairly large creature in play and not already been in a dominating position... perhaps that suggests it is better in a multiplayer variant?

TheArchitect
12-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Card advantage becomes increasingly more important as more players are added to the game. Also, as the number of players increases the amount of removal increases. You need a way to recover from or counteract boardwipes or effects like oblation taking your general out of the picture.

nodahero
12-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Duly noted. Perhaps I should add a Doubling Cube. BTW can anyone give me the link to a page illustrating how to auto card.

porcupinetreeman
12-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Way to use one of my generals....though, my list is way better.

nodahero
12-08-2010, 08:56 PM
I have never seen you play a list at all like that... or even with this general...

rockout
12-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Way to use one of my generals....though, my list is way better.

How about posting your list and prove it.

porcupinetreeman
12-10-2010, 12:25 PM
You haven't seen it because I've been pimping it out the last few months. I only have 3 generals, Uril, Xiahou, and Omnath.

Mnemon
12-10-2010, 06:59 PM
I started to plan an Omnath list with Eldrazi today, wanted to get some inspiration fron TS and then I find this ^^.
What woud you think about an elf subtheme with Titanias Priest (http://magiccards.info/query?q=titanias+priest&v=card&s=cname), Wirewood Channeler (http://magiccards.info/query?q=Wirewood+Channeler&v=card&s=cname), Elvish Archdruid (http://magiccards.info/query?q=!Elvish%20Archdruid), Elvish Guidance (http://magiccards.info/query?q=elvish+guidance&v=card&s=cname) along with some tutor elves and some minor mana elves (which you alredy play).

To use Omnath himself a little bit better I would run Whispersilk Cloak (http://magiccards.info/query?q=!Whispersilk%20Cloak), Trailblazer's Boots (http://magiccards.info/query?q=!Trailblazer%27s%20Boots) (and maybe cards like Loxodon Warhammer (http://magiccards.info/query?q=loxodon+warhammer&v=card&s=cname), Akroma's Memorial (http://magiccards.info/query?q=Akroma%27s+Memorial&v=card&s=cname), Taunting Elf (http://magiccards.info/query?q=Taunting+Elf&v=card&s=cname) ...)

edit:
and I just remembered Mana Reflection (http://magiccards.info/query?q=mana+reflection&v=card&s=cname)

nodahero
12-11-2010, 08:35 PM
I actually added the Elf subtheme last night. I run basically all the mana elves ATM and I also run Genesis Wave now. I will post the list I played today later tonight prolly... I am waiting for my pizza and Worlds... I will prolly type it up during the "intermissions" at worlds.

PS
Survival is sick with Emrakul and Miren the moaning well BTW...

PPS List from the EDH vent this weekend is up top.