PDA

View Full Version : General selection..

Sims
01-25-2011, 02:33 PM
So in light of this new block renewing my love of the evil mechanical horrors of Phyrexia, I'm considering building a Phyrexian themed EDH deck for fun... I mean I've got more serious EDH decks but i want something that I can sit down with my friends who play Baron Sengir Vampire tribal or Ambassador Laquatus mill.dec and have fun, without completely blowing them out and feeling like a dick.

i'd like to startin B/U because the Phyrexians are mostly Black and Artifact, but there are some good themed cards in Blue in Besiged (Tezzeret, slave of Bolas anyone?) and in blue in general that interact well with the Artifact half of the Phyrexians...

But from there i'm open to suggestions. My initial thought was to go Esper, but I've already got a Sharuum deck built... so if possible i'd like to explore other color combinations or stay Black or Black/blue....

So what say you? Anyone got good suggestions for a Phyrexian themed General?

bokwinkle
01-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Well, there's a couple ways to go here, and it's highly dependant on how much you want to stick to theme and how competitive you want to be. If you were trying to be competitive I'd push you to Dralnu, Sharruum (for their busted abilities), or Vorash (for access to green). Generally I think Green has some nice Phyrexian tools in the new set (the elf zombie is a personal favorite).

However, I think if you just want to hang around the kitchen table and have some fun you can probably get there with Thraximundar or Sedris, the Traitor King despite the fact that there is essentially -0- cards in red that are phyrexian themed. Generally, Sharuum is probably the best card for the theme because of his artifact nature...but he's sooooooo busted.

Sims
01-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah, Sharrum is nuts, and i do have a Sharuum deck already that actually is more of a competitive deck focused more on insane card interactions and combos. Brief sidenote: I've won a game with that deck after having my general hindered to the bottom and tunnel visioned (my playgroup plays very few if any eldrazi titans)... I untapped, put a random artifact ontop of my library with Academy Ruins, then proceeded to cast Disciple of the vault and my general, returning Sculpting Steel FTW.

I guess what it really comes down to is that 1 group i play with is much more competitive but we don't play often... on the other hand I have a group i'm starting to play with on a weekly basis that is much more lax. There's 1 powered up Maga deck that can be a pain, but rest of the decks aren't really super competitive. Good generals in some cases, but decks built to be mroe fun than ridiculous. I want something that i can bring to that playgroup without being instantly hated. I tried doing a mono-red Kamahl deck inspired by the thread in this forum, but that fell through because the only way i could keep myself in the game was to be repeatedly casting things like Wildfire, Thoughts of Ruin, etc... and people were getting very grumpy about the LD. So I figured I'd give Phyrexia a try. I do intend to stick to the theme of Phyrexia pretty hard... heavy in the black, if I am splashed into any colors from the general it's going to be very light and try to keep it pretty well in line with the theme. Glissa might be a good choice, actually, as there is a number of "infected" green cards that i could use though they might not be quite themed right.

Thanks for teh suggestions, any more i'd be glad to hear them from anyone.

bokwinkle
01-25-2011, 04:57 PM
There's a glissa thread already started that has some pretty cool ideas in it. The problem with green is that the card selection can be bonkers - it doesn't take long to degenerate into this:

Survival of the Fittest
Primeval Titan
Genesis
Eternal Witness
Tooth and Nail
Avenger of Zendikar
Gaea's Cradle
Defense of the Heart
Terastodon
Woodfall Primus
Acidic Slime
Yavimaya Elder
Oracle of Mul Daya
Vigor
Sylvan Library
Skyshroud Claim
Cultivate
Kodama's Reach
Harmonize
Regal Force
Reap and Sow
Mwonolvi Acid Moss
Krosan Grip
Garruk Wildspeaker

If you keep it artifact and reanimation based though Glissa could be pretty fun. And having access to Primeval Titan would allow you to do things like Titan into Cabal Coffers + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgamoth for large ammounts of mana to play things like the new 11/11 indestructable infect guy...which is pretty hillarious.

If you wanted to go with an infect theme you could always just run Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon as a general too. You loose the versatility of green or the artifact manipulation of blue...but you gain a pretty cool general. IMHO the fewer colors an EDH deck has the harder it is to make, so I think running a mono-colored deck is more realistic in a casual playgroup. If you wanted to go this way I just wrote a book in that thread as well...